Start by marking “Constantine” as Want to Read:
Constantine

Constantine

Hidden from mortal eyes are the angels and demons that coexist with mankind...supernatural beings who seek to influence our lives for better and for worse. Amoral and irreverent renegade occultist and paranormal detective John Constantine is blessed and cursed with the ability to interact with this secret world. When Constantine teams up with skeptical L.A. policewoman ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Constantine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constantine

Sarah Anne
Mar 22, 2016 Sarah Anne rated it liked it
80% of the book was a solid three stars and then I got bored. But the end was pretty cool. It had these weird things throughout the text that bugged me though. Useless sentences. Like this one: "He wasn't surprised when Angela came up the fire escape: He'd asked her to meet him there." Why do I need to know this? Those things only happened a few times but they always threw me out of the story.

I've never seen the movie so I don't know how closely it follows, but this may be the very first time I'
Joe  Noir
May 26, 2013 Joe Noir rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable movie novelization. I knew Constantine existed in the Hellblazer comics from DC/Vertigo, but I had never read any and was unaware of the character. This movie and this book were my introduction. I loved this movie, and I really loved this book. There is quite a bit of heft compared to the average novlization, and many scenes are fleshed out in great detail. A lot of fun.
Nola Lightman
Oct 12, 2012 Nola Lightman rated it it was ok
Admittedly, I am a fan of the movie. So when I saw this in the store, I was curious if it would be any different than the film version. Many of the Goodreads reviews stated how this book filled in a few plot holes and leftover questions in the movie, and I have to agree that it did.

This is not the first novelization I attempted (Ironman - too much exposition and not enough dialogue for my tastes), but it is the first one I actually finished. The problem I have with this book is that the author k
Jack Keane
Feb 02, 2014 Jack Keane rated it really liked it
I bought this book many years ago, not long after I had seen the movie (which I liked a lot at the time, but only because I was about 11 or 12, and liked many things that I've since found to be...well, less than good).
It was cheap. The pages smelt nice. It fit nicely inside my coat pocket, should I have ever chosen to take it out on the go. (Appropriate, seeing as it IS a Pocket Book, after all.)
But was it any good?
As I recall, it was a pretty solid read. It was certainly one of the more well-wr
Abhinav Neelam
Nov 04, 2012 Abhinav Neelam rated it really liked it
I found some reviewers complaining that the novelization of the movie Constantine dimmed the cool quotient of the movie. Well. I didn't think so. There is obviously more delving into Constantine's motivations than in the movie, but I didn't think it detracted from his oh-so-Keanu-Reeves unflappability.

The book stays absolutely faithful to dialogues in the movie, and where new backstory is added, it's done so seamlessly. I'm not sure whether this book would appeal to those who haven't watched the
Aik Chien 인첸
Oct 12, 2012 Aik Chien 인첸 rated it really liked it
Alright, I admit it: I bought this book because I loved the movie. Unsurprisingly, it didn't let me down. I totally enjoyed reading it. Constantine is portrayed as the same cynical, irreverent supernatural detective who is dying of lung cancer caused by too much smoking. He knows he is damned to hell for his past attempt of committing suicide and tries his best to win back God's grace. This book pretty much follows everything that's shown in the movie, although there were some minor differences. ...more
Joey
Aug 16, 2014 Joey rated it liked it
I bought this novel at my library book-for-sale section. It caught my eye because I remembered about a DC Comics featuring John Constantine who battles demons and other supernatural forces. For a measly 50 cents it was a great purchase since I could hardly put it down until the last chapters where the plot just unraveled for me. All in all, a great read where the author created a fantastic world of angels, demons and John Constantine.
Jake
Oct 12, 2012 Jake rated it it was amazing
I was very happy I read this book even though I did see the movie first. yes I know no matter what the book is always better than the movie but I enjoyed them almost equally yes the book had alot more details on characters and what exactly was going on the whole way through but they were both good. This was a book I have read several times and I've watched the movie plenty of times so both are amazing and enjoyable.
Ashley P.
Oct 12, 2012 Ashley P. rated it liked it
I'm really glad I read this before watching the movie because I got to get to know and understand Constantine a lot better than I would have from a 2 hour movie. There was some stuff that was mentioned that wasn't in the movie at all, and quite a bit of stuff that was expanded on that was only skipped over in the movie.
Overall I'd say this is a really great read and a good one to pick up even if you've seen the big screen version.
Namtarn Chawanrat
Dec 13, 2014 Namtarn Chawanrat rated it really liked it
I bought the book cus I love the movie, and I hope that there would be something different. Ok, i have a solf spot for a novelized screenplay, and I find that I like this one. First few pages really hooked me. I drowned into the story. There're more details and ocassions in which it isn't on the show. Though it is still sticking with 'kill-the-villans' things, how patetic, I like it.
David Brown
Oct 12, 2012 David Brown rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the movie and comic book series
Kind of disappointing. Lacks the cool factor that the movie has. Some of the dialogue in the book doesn't fit the character and I can see why that was cut.

Interesting to see some of the scenes that were cut from the movie. In one, Constantine has a sexual relationship with a demon who later turns on him.

Overall, not a bad book, but unfortunate it's not better written.
Laura Morrigan
Pretty much a movie-tie-in teaser for the original graphic novel series. Graphic novelisation of the movie and three stories from the original comics, all from different eras, two of which are unfinished. The introduction is really interesting, but the unfinished nature of the book is frustrating. Trying to get the proper series collection volume 1 at the moment.
Kristine
Oct 12, 2012 Kristine added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: favorites
Though this novel is based on the film, it's actually very good and even better than the film. The novel contains more, especially when it comes to the opening scene of the film versus the book. The book is filled with wonderful and very detailed descriptions that make the scenes come to life within even the most non-imaginative people. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading.
Vic
Aug 20, 2014 Vic rated it liked it
What would you do if supernatural demonic forces are out to get you? That's the life of John Constantine, our chain smoking cancer lung cancer stricken hero who's duty is to send demons back to inferno. It was a fascinating read but the plot weakened in the last third of the novel. Thus the three stars.
Aaron Sta.Clara
Nov 08, 2014 Aaron Sta.Clara rated it it was ok
I haven't seen the movie yet but this book is good. Not superior and not inferior yet I hate the way the author portrayed God in this novel. He made Him such a badass in this book. Yes, it's a cameo role but I realy hate it, truly hate it.
Josh
Oct 12, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
Well, I liked the few twists that were different from the movie, but I don't think it would have been as easy to follow if you didn't see the movie first. A nice read though, complimented the movie well.
Melanie Begay
Oct 12, 2012 Melanie Begay rated it it was amazing
BEST BOOK I'VE EVER READ BEFORE WATCHING THE ACTUAL MOVIE!!!!....wait...i take that back i read the book after i watched it. :)
Elise Shedd
This was a book version of a movie that really delves into the spirit world and those who can see demons and angels.I read this after enjoying the movie so much.
Fachrina
Oct 12, 2012 Fachrina rated it liked it
As the novelization of the film, this book does a very good job. It gives more story to the minor characters, such as Fransisco. The book also provides more explanations for the story.
Christen
Jun 04, 2014 Christen rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in junior high after a minor-obsession with the film.
Really great book, far more in-depth from the film. It's generally a very dark book but definitely enjoyable.
Shannon
Mar 26, 2014 Shannon marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
B.E.
Apr 09, 2014 B.E. rated it really liked it
Not bad for a movie adaptation. I only watched bits of the movie, but this seemed to remain true to it.
Jevron McCrory
Oct 12, 2012 Jevron McCrory rated it it was amazing
In a lot of ways, actually better than the movie! I really enjoyed this book and went to considerable lengths to actually try and track it down, so it was a very pleasant surprise. Read!
Sana Zameer
Jan 28, 2016 Sana Zameer rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I loved the movie and I really enjoyed this book.
John Mic
Oct 07, 2014 John Mic rated it it was amazing
i really want to read this book badly
Keith
Oct 12, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Followed the movie scene by scene with slight differences here and there. An easy read.
Natalia Lena
Aug 14, 2014 Natalia Lena rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Słyszeliście o powiedzeniu ,,najpierw książka - potem film"? To dość słuszne przekonanie nie zawsze się sprawdza, bo zdarzają się przypadki, w których lepiej najpierw obejrzeć film, który swoim poziomem ratuje książkę. Constantine autorstwa Johna Shirleya jest jednym z takich przypadków. Powieść ta powstała na bazie scenariusza do filmu o tym samym tytule, który to z kolei bazuje na bohaterach i wątkach z komiksu Hellblazer.

Autor przemycił na strony powieści sceny wycięte z filmu. To niewątpliwi
Mary
Oct 05, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
Fun, fast fantasy
Emma-Louise
Jul 18, 2016 Emma-Louise rated it liked it
Constantine the book is everything the movie starring Keanu Reeves is and more. I was very pleased to find that both book and movie was very similar to each other. The story was pretty much like for like, giving mainly more insight to the details of the supernatural elements.
For example how hell is set up and what happens to the unfortunate souls who end up there.
How Constantines magic works in a simple non over the top and non-complicated way.
Also about the rules and how it restricts demon acti
Gabrielle
Jun 05, 2016 Gabrielle rated it it was ok
A little ditty about John and Angela, two American kids fighting demons in LA.

As a fan of both the original comic books and the film adaptation (flawed though it was), I went into this novelization with a distinct itch that wanted to be scratched, and it does that well enough. It's not a masterpiece - indeed, it's not even particularly excellent. It's merely decent. It follows the film loyally but throws in some added references to the comics, it attempts to imbed more of that seedy neo-Noir mo
  • Batman Begins
  • Vengeance  (Angel: Season 2, #4)
  • Spider-Man
  • King of the Dead (The Lost Slayer, #3)
  • Pitch Black: Fight Evil With Evil
  • Ghost Rider
  • The Last Stand
  • Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
  • Transformers
  • Iron Man 2
  • Queen of the Slayers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 7-8, #7)
  • Angel Omnibus
  • Honor Bound
  • Last of the Mohicans (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Superman Returns
  • The Demon Bride (The Witching Pen series, #3)
  • Loveless, Volume 12
61958
John Shirley is the author of more than a dozen books, including Demons; Crawlers; City Come A-Walkin’; Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories; and the classic cyberpunk trilogy A Song Called Youth: Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona. He is the recipient of the Horror Writers Association’s Bram Stoker Award and won the International Horror Guild Award for his collection Black ...more
More about John Shirley...