Start by marking “Art Fundamentals: Theory & Practice” as Want to Read:
Art Fundamentals: Theory & Practice

Art Fundamentals: Theory & Practice

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
By using more color fine art reproductions than any other text to illustrate the concepts of design,Ocvirk introduces students to both the fundamental elements of art and to the rich and varied history of their uses. Art Fundamentals offers a wealth of full color and black-and-white fine art reproductions and a rich Instructor's Resource Manual but still remains the best v ...more
Unknown Binding, 346 pages
Published January 1st 1998 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Art Fundamentals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art Fundamentals

نورة الحسن
A great source to understand art! I highly recommend it for art students/ people who are interested in how to read a piece of art and to know what to see exactly in a painting/sculpture..etc..

The sad thing is that I borrowed the book from my university library so I can't go back to it whenever I need something.
I think its a kind of a book that you should keep in your own library.
Rhonda Stephens
Jun 23, 2016 Rhonda Stephens rated it it was ok
Shelves: school-books
Two-dimensional design class. Wasn't my favorite, but I learned to appreciate it over time
Roberto Balderas
Great reference book for art students and anybody interested in art and its appreciation. After reading this book, I have a better understanding of the fundamentals of art. In turn, I feel able to discern works of art, that I may no be particularly fond of, and appreciate them. It also clarifies art movements’ historic significance in relationship to art/design/culture today, without stuffy explanations or jaded examples. The layout is clean and easy to read and the illustrations are relevant an ...more
Kawa Svaha
Jan 28, 2014 Kawa Svaha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 14
I suddenly realised what to look for in art.
Rebecca
Copyright 1998. I've kept this book near my art stuff for years, thinking I'll use it as a reference, since it really is a good look at the fundamentals. I need reminders of fundamentals. This book is a portable, readable size, whereas most art history books tend to be doorstops. Mostly full-color interior, lovely margins and white space, and good font size. Note to self: look up a more recent version.
Christøpher Es
This is the book they apparently HAVE to sell you if you walk into the kcad bookstore and say anything along the lines of, "I'm a Kendall Freshmen."

This is also the book that steers most Kendall Sophmores away from buying college text books.

This and the history books.

And those useless ass books the "art education" program makes their students buy.
Jeremy Patton
Sep 07, 2011 Jeremy Patton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
I had to buy this book for college for my general art studio classes. I still use it today in my own classrooms to teach Middle School and High School students the "fundamentals" of understanding art basics and theory / history.
Artlab
Fundamentals and Theory
John Greg
John Greg marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Kimiko Fraser
Kimiko Fraser marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Deedles
Deedles marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Glenda
Glenda rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Cory Barr
Cory Barr rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Eileen DiBenedetto
Eileen DiBenedetto rated it it was ok
Jul 13, 2016
Hossein Mesforush
Hossein Mesforush marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Minmin Jin
Minmin Jin marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Zoya
Zoya marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Cynthia Mcgowan
Cynthia Mcgowan rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Rishikesh Gupta
Rishikesh Gupta marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Jay
Jay is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2016
Mona Abbas
Mona Abbas marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Kyrianne
Kyrianne rated it it was ok
May 13, 2016
Achmad Abimantrana
Achmad Abimantrana marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Laura is currently reading it
May 09, 2016
Mario Perron
Mario Perron marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jeanine
Jeanine is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2016
Darra Williamson
Darra Williamson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
  • Modern Art: painting, sculpture, architecture, photography
  • Design Basics
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Art (The Short Guide Series)
  • Reading Egyptian Art: A Hieroglyphic Guide to Ancient Egyptian Painting and Sculpture
  • Art and Symbols of the Occult: Images of Power and Wisdom
  • A Type Primer
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • The Mac is Not a Typewriter
  • Essays on the Blurring of Art and Life
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
  • The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore
  • Typography Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Type in Graphic Design
  • Stylepedia: A Guide to Graphic Design Mannerisms, Quirks, and Conceits
  • Techniques of the Observer: On Vision and Modernity in the 19th Century: On Vision and Modernity in the Nineteenth Century (October Books)
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art