Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure (Huber Hill, #1)

Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure (Huber Hill #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Huber's life goes from bad to terrible when his grandfather dies---until he opens Grandpa Nick's mysterious box. An old gold coin and a treasure map rocket him and his friends into a mind-blowing adventure, but he's not the only one on the hunt. Filled with dangerous animals and cryptic puzzles, this book will have you on the edge of your seat until the last page.
Published October 4th 2011 by Bonneville Books

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
499th out of 638 books — 4,221 voters
Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow by James RollinsDeadweather and Sunrise by Geoff RodkeyThe Flight of the Phoenix by R.L. LaFeversTheodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFeversA Mutiny in Time by James Dashner
Dig Into Reading themed books
9th out of 10 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Danielle
An adventure of a lifetime lies before Huber Hill, but first he has to get through middle school and the bully that’s plagued him for years. After years of torment and the urgings of his Grandfather, Huber finally decides to take a stand. What comes after is a more than Huber could have ever imagined; an adventure, a treasure from the past, villains and even the possibility of a new best friend. Huber Hill and the Dead Man’s Treasure is a thrill to the very last page.

My first impression of Huber...more
Sandra Stiles
This is a book my students will definitely love. It is full of mystery, and adventure. Those two things go hand in hand. I believe a lot of my students will be able to identify with the characters in this book. Huber and Hannah Hill are twins and about as opposite as you can get. Huber is a math geek and shy. His sister Hannah is very outgoing and athletic. Like a lot of students I know there are expectations from the parents that just can’t be met. Huber feels this tension between himself and h...more
Inga
It is already second middle grade book I am reading during the last couple of months and even though I do not belong to the targeted group, I really enjoyed this book. B.K. Bostick created a wonderful book for kids and touched many serious issues for children and he did it in a way, that it was fun to read. I read Huber Hill and the Dead Man’s Treasure in one sitting, I could not put it away and when the last page was read, I wanted more!

Huber is a sweet guy who loses his beloved grandfather who...more
Lynn
Huber has a difficult life. A bully picks on him constantly, he can’t attract the attention of the girl he likes, his twin sister makes him look like a weakling, and his parents fight constantly.

Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse, Huber’s beloved grandfather dies. Huber inherits a map, a journal, and a mysterious gold coin. Huber is soon off on the adventure of a lifetime as he tries to beat a mysterious Spaniard to the treasure.

B.J. Bostick's novel will be a fun and interesting...more
Heidi
Tesoro!

This book took off from the first word. Kids will love its fast-paced action and its boy-next-door characters.

Huber Hill is the guy everybody picks on in middle school. Especially Scott McCormick, who gives him probably the worst nickname ever. (I really hate that name and hate that poor Hubs never seems to shuck it off.) At first we really want Hubs to give Scott the old heave ho, but instead, they become firm friends.

When it comes time to share the secrets Huber's dying grandfather has...more
Lillian Angelovic
From withstanding the classroom tortures of a school bully to braving unforeseen danger in a deadly mountain treasure hunt, Huber Hill develops into the young man his grandfather knew he could be. I enjoyed the interactions between the friends as they wound their way through this story that developed into a grand adventure for them all. And can we say "cliffhanger?" Oh boy!
03HayesS
It all began in Salamanca, Spain. Juan Hernan Salazar really wanted the map leading to dead man's treasure. His uncle told him that Nicholas Eldredge had the map in Carbondale, Colorado. Then Juan killed his uncle.

On the other side of the ocean, in the town of Carbondale, Colorado, Huber and Hannah Hill, twins, were visiting with their grandpa Nick. He was telling them of a legendary treasure known as dead man's treasure. Hannah didn't believe a word he said, but Huber was really taking it in....more
Sara
What a great young adult book! It definitely had my attention. Lots of action and suspense and even had a great cliffhanger at the end that will make me read the second installment.
Jasmine Ko
Huber Hill is a teenager who is not exactly what you would call one of the "cool" kids in school. In fact, he is bullied and picked on by his nemesis, Scott McCormick, who gave Huber the nickname, "Puber" during a 5th grade maturation assembly. Life is pretty miserable for Huber at school and at home where his parents can't seem to stop fighting everyday.

The only good thing in Huber's life is spending time with his ailing Grandpa Nick. When Grandpa Nick dies, Huber and his twin sister, Hannah...more
Kris
Review copied from original post at Imaginary Reads.

Huber Hill and the Dead Man’s Treasure encompasses the spirit of adventure. Starting at the bottom of the social ladder, Huber confronts his fears, befriends the school’s bully, and goes in search of an ancient Spanish treasure over which blood has been shed. In the midst of all this, he will discover the most important treasures of all: friendship, life, and trust.

I can’t remember how long it’s been since I enjoyed a mystery novel involving de...more
Ana
There was time I was amused by Enid Blyton's books, such as The Famouse Five, The Secret Seven. As a child, I was so amazed on how cool the adventure they experienced. I wish I had been there with them, entered their world and jumped into the books. Unfortunately, I rarely found a same kind of those books nowadays.

I was so glad when I finally found this book. Huber Hill and The Dead Man Treasure is about three children going on some exciting adventure looking for treasures. At first, Huber not r...more
Darlene
I received this ARC for review from Cedar Fort, Inc. as part of the author's virtual book tour. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and the views expressed herein are my own.

Wow, what an adventure!

When I read the synopsis, I knew I would enjoy this book. But even I wasn't prepared for what a fun, captivating read this was going to be!

Huber Hill is a 15-year old boy who has the misfortune of being antagonized by the class bully, Scott McCormick. Every person will be able to connect...more
C.C. Thomas
This book has all the best of what I love in an adventure story: kids actually getting outside and having an adventure rather than a cyber-adventure; a treasure map with ghosts and Spanish bullion and swords; an adventure that hinges upon an ancient mystery; and a great message about never giving up and the importance of keeping your word and believing in family.

Huber Hills is an oh-so-typical adolescent. His parents are on the brink of divorce; he is competing against his smart, athletic and po...more
Krystal
The first quality the reader will notice about the book is the that the book is reminiscent of The Goonies-a childhood favorite movie concerning a group of kids attempting to find treasure while being chased by a bad gang of adults. The main character in this book, Huber, is clever and precocious. He's fun to read about, the reader will not be bored. The secondary characters are interesting to read about, they all have their own quirks.

Huber doesn't have the most exciting life in the world. He...more
Dorine White
First off, I love the name. Who wouldn't want to read a book where the lead character's first name is Huber. Anyway, Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure is a Middle Grade book of 257 pages published by Cedar Fort Publishing.
The Story- Huber Hill, nicknamed Puber, doesn't have many friends. Even his twin sister Hannah, all-star softball player, stays away. Bully Scott McCormick has free reign to terrorize the boy. Then one day things change, Huber finds out a secret about Scott and they becom...more
Julie Witt
I received an ecopy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I have boys who are tweens and early teens and I'm always looking for good books for them to read; or rather, books that will interest them enough to get them to read! I have to say, Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure fits the bill perfectly! It has action, a little sentiment, a little romance, and did I mention action!

Huber is having a really bad year. He's being bullied at school by a boy named Scott, he has...more
Tvaleros (SpadesHighReads)
Full Review Found at : SpadesHighReads

What drew me in to read Huber Hill and The Dead Man's Treasure was that it took me back to the movie Goonies. That movie was awesome and it will always be my oldie favorite! Please excuse my nostalgia =)

This book had my heart racing and pounding from excitement, tear-jerking, and anxiety! A treasure that will be prized on your shelf!

Huber, a 15 year old, lives an exciting life as much as a corn in a corn field. He's been bullied most of his life by the same...more
Cleffairy
Reviewed at: Over A Cuppa Tea
Date reviewed: 7 June 2011
Review link: http://cleffairy.com/?p=5426

When I was a little girl, I used to read wonderful stories where a group of young children get stranded on a mysterious island or where’re they’re kidnapped or they go for an adventure without adults supervision. It was a blissful form of escapism for me when I was a little girl. I wish I’m one of the book characters and I was the one who is on an amazing adventure instead.

Unfortunately for me, Young...more
L_manning
Huber Hill is having a tough time. He's constantly picked on at school, his parents won't stop fighting, and he can never match up to his twin sister. One of the people he feels closest to is his grandfather, who tells him amazing stories of his past. The most interesting story is about Tesoro, a place in the mountains where the some Spaniards his some gold in times past. Huber, his sister, and his former-bully-now-friend are soon caught up in an exciting adventure when they become the owners of...more
Reading Vacation
Huber’s Grandpa Nick was a story teller. He would share stories of a lose gold mine that was said to be cursed. Grandpa Nick had a map and a prospecting journal to search for the mine. When his grandpa dies, it is up to Huber to fulfill his legacy and find the mine.

The journey to find the mine is very exciting. Huber and his friends solve puzzles, cross rivers, and hike for days on end. A wonderful kinship blossoms between the comrades as they share this amazing experience. It was fun to watch H...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Mariah Overlock
Wow! What a great book. This was a pretty fast read. Huber, Hannah, and Scott draw you in so quickly on their adventure to find the Dead Man's Treasure that you'll feel like there must be buried treasure in the mountains by your house.

Huber and his friends will take you on an adventure unlike any you have been on before. The Dead Man's Treasure is literally a treasure, but the lessons that Huber, Hannah, Scott and everyone else learn along the way far outweigh the temptation to carry a giant lo...more
Rachelle Watson
I enjoyed reading all about Huber, Hannah, and Scott's adventure. The book itself is geared probably towards middle school students but I looked forward to reading it even though I am in my mid-twenties. It was a perfect read when you have to pick up and put down the book often because it has an easy to follow story line, but with a twist or two! I recommend this book for teachers because it has some good structure to use for teaching students about plot and some unexpected vocabulary words. I w...more
Julie Prince
Huber has heart! I haven't read a treasure story I enjoyed this much since Holes. What I loved most about the book was Bostick's characters. I found myself connecting with and caring about them right away. The story doesn't rely upon fantasy or supernatural elements to carry it- simply great characters, impeccable writing, and a superb plot. It's a story that can kids can see themselves actually living. While written for ages 10 or so, I enjoyed it as well- it reminded me of my childhood and def...more
Ann
This is a great read with lots of adventure. Just when you think it should be the end and the kids are safe there is another twist. Definitely a book middle grade kids will love and it was a fun fast read for me as an adult. I have purchased a bunch for my grandkids for Christmas and I wanted to make sure it was o.k. to read. No swearing, some very mild potty references and a little bit of a love interest. I think girls will enjoy it as much as boys do.
Rebecca McKinnon
This was a really fun book. Compelling characters, check. Treasure map, check. Fantastic bad guy, check. Mortal peril, check. Riddles to solve in order to follow map and reach treasure, check. Surprises throughout, check.

I loved this kind of book as a kid, and as a grown-up kid, I still love them. It's a great adventure full of twists and excitement. Who wouldn't want to find a treasure in the mountains near their home?
Lindsay
Although this book was geared towards middle school boys, I enjoyed it. It was a fun, quick read and I liked that the characters were very relatable. I especially loved Grandpa Nick's character and appreciated that the book addressed several heavy topics (such as bullying and parental expectations) without being boring or over-preachy. I look forward to reading the second book when it comes out next fall.
Shannon O'Donnell
I thoroughly enjoyed this story! In my opinion, this is a textbook example of middle grade adventure--full of surprise twists and turns, cool bad guys, just a hint of romance (more like a crush) and of course, treasure hunting. This is an especially great MG read for boys, although it will definitely appeal to girls as well.
Frank Cole
I really enjoyed this treasure-hunting adventure. Huber, Scott, and Hannah work well together, with Scott providing classic zingers and comic relief. And the Spanish language popping up throughout gave the book a more authentic feel. Highly recommended for MG readers and anyone from the Goonies era.
LP
Good adventure/mystery story for middle readers, just the kind of think I loved to read when I was the age of the characters in the book. Sometimes the vocabulary borders a bit on the erudite, like calling a spade a digging implement, but there’s nothing wrong with making the reader stretch a bit.
  • Wolf Storm
  • The Last Enchanter
  • Count Down to Love
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • The Vengekeep Prophecies
  • Buddy
  • The 13th Tribe
  • Seers (Seers, #1)
  • The Mystery of Smugglers Cove (The Mystery Series #1)
  • White Chalk
  • Stick Dog Wants a Hot Dog
  • Paris Pan Takes the Dare
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • The Ghost of Grania O'Malley
  • The Six (The Gateway Chronicles #1)
  • The Crickhowell School for the Muses
  • Tide Ever Rising
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
B.K. Bostick, author of Dead Man's Treasure, resides among the magnificent Rocky Mountains. In addition to writing, he has spent his career in education. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Utah and his Masters in Psychology from Utah State University. He has worked as a teacher, after school program coordinator, junior high school counselor, and most recently as a...more
More about B.K. Bostick...
Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado (Huber Hill, #2) Huber Hill and the Golden Staff of Cibola (Huber Hill #3)