Shortcuts to Inner Peace: 70 Simple Paths to Everyday Serenity

Shortcuts to Inner Peace: 70 Simple Paths to Everyday Serenity

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Finding serenity every day...in the everyday things we do.

It can be a challenge to reach a calm and relaxed mindset, especially in our modern world. But in Shortcuts to Inner Peace, Ashley Davis Bush helps readers learn how to hit the pause button amidst the chaos with a spirit of mindfulness-linking fast, easy, and restorative respites to ordinary everyday activities.

Onc...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Berkley Trade

Elizabeth
Dec 18, 2011 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: People who want to try meditation but are short on time or patience
Shelves: meditation
The aim of this book is to make the benefits of meditation available to people who don't have the time or patience to seriously embark on a meditation practice. Bush has come up with 70 short exercises designed to get you in the habit of thinking more positively and help you de-stress. To make it easier to make them habits, she has linked each exercise—the "shortcuts" of the title—to an everyday activity or experience which acts as a trigger.

For each shortcut, the author gives a suggested trigge...more
Aug 24, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I normally don't read self-help type books, but because I like Ashley Davis Bush's newsletters (and because I'm a bit of a stress case) I thought I'd give this one a shot!

I found that not only is this a simple and focused book, but it is extremely effective and honest. Not all of the tips appealed to my own personal levels of anxiety, but the ones that did hit home hard.

I bookmarked nine of the shortcuts that stood out the most to me, and since this is a library book and I must return it, I pl...more
Jacki
This was a Goodreads First Reads. I really enjoyed this book! I've been talking to friends about it since I started reading it and am going to lend it to them. There are so many good suggestions, I think I need to put up post-it notes to remember them all. I especially liked how after each shortcut, there was a "purpose" listed. It acted as a "why should you do this?" for the shortcuts. I know I won't use all of them (mostly because I will forget and the one where you first wake up in the mornin...more
As an individual who is trying to adjust to a new city, new job, and plan a wedding, my stress level has never been higher. Who has the time to do meditation or yoga? With that frame of mind, I went into this book as a very skeptical person. That being said, this book surprised me on many levels. I felt in many of the examples she used, that they were pages out of my own life's story. I not only loved how the shortcuts were outlined and explained, but I was convinced to try a few. They are easy...more
Christine
If I was to sum up this book as shortly as I could, I would say “self-awareness”. This theme travels through the book and shows that simple self-awareness allows a person to make a choice about their reaction to stressful situations.

While the content isn’t new, the format and approach are refreshing. The author is careful to use a conversational tone. The book feels more like a chat with a friend over coffee than other books of this genre that can be a bit preachy.

The author lists the many dai...more
Mary
I really liked this book. The author--a NH resident--includes lots of stories about how she uses the shortcuts in her own life and deals head-on with the issue that mindfulness practices don't always seem compatible with actual life. Serenity is much easier in a calm serene place, but it is really valuable in the middle of your daily chaos. This book seems to have some solid tools to help.

Oddly, this book was sitting on my desk waiting to be looked at when I went away for Thanksgiving. The infl...more
Celia Juliano
I love this book! I've read other self-help and mindfulness books, but this one is the simplest to put into practice and read in bits (which suits my current schedule). The shortcuts are clear and Bush's style is both anecdotal, authoritative (knowledge-based), and easy to read. I have been using the "Catch and Release" shortcut to good effect...like anything, this takes effort and time, but the tips are able to be incorporated into daily life and I have already noticed a shift in my attitude an...more
Jill
This is an amazing little book full of simple, yet effective, ways to reclaim or maintain inner tranquility. Ms. Bush points out multiple ways of using the book as a guide. The Appendices and Bibliography add enormously to the strength of this work. Would recommend it!
MJ
LOVED this. So many concrete, creative, and simple ways to cultivate inner peace and gratitude. Clears my "worthy of re-reading" hurdle to earn 5 stars.
Linda Yesline Yesline
Lovely book, lots of short easily-relatable anecdotes. Thoughtful quick meditations, though 70 was more than enough for me; I kinda caught the jist by reading about 10 or so.
Sarah is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
William T Mak
William T Mak marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Bastette
Bastette marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Teeinntee
Teeinntee marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Desiree Arellano jiron
Desiree Arellano jiron marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Cortney
Cortney marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
  • Enjoy Every Sandwich: Living Each Day as If It Were Your Last
  • Anatomy of the Soul: Surprising Connections Between Neuroscience and Spiritual Practices that Can Transform Your Life and Relationships
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • How to Be Compassionate: a Handbook for Creating Inner Peace and a Happier World
  • First You Try Everything: A Novel
  • The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure
  • What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety
  • Agnes's Jacket: A Psychologist's Search for the Meanings of Madness
  • Creating True Peace: Ending Violence in Yourself, Your Family, Your Community, and the World
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • Curbchek
  • Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love
  • The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense
  • Say Not "What If"
  • Book of Prophecies
  • Unspent Time
I'm so glad to be part of the Goodreads forum!

I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in Epping, New Hampshire. I am also the author of four self-help books including "Transcending Loss", "Claim Your Inner Grown-up", and "Shortcuts to Inner Peace: 70 Simple Paths to Everyday Serenity". I've recently finished my most recent book with my husband, Daniel: "75 Habits for a Happy Marriage:...more
More about Ashley Davis Bush...
Transcending Loss Claim Your Inner Grown-Up: 4 Essential Steps to Authentic Adulthood 75 Habits for a Happy Marriage: Marriage Advice to Recharge and Reconnect Every Day ErWachsen