Start by marking “Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness Through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Deepak Chopra meets Christiane Northrup in this women's health guide, which uses Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese Medicine to achieve hormonal balance and optimal well-being.
Published March 1st 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life

Mo Tipton
Excellent book. My only reason for giving it four stars is that there was a great deal of repetitive information, the reason being that so many of the issues outlined in the book could be traced to the same lifestyle and environmental factors and thus had similar remedies, and I found myself wishing that there was a better way to organize the information so that I wasn't re-reading the same material over and over again. Don't let that keep you from reading this book, however, because it is full ...more
Lorie Smith
I love this book! Purchased early Summer and find myself rereading chapters over again. This was my first real eye opener to the powerful healing of Eastern Medicine and how it approaches a healthy body; correcting health issues naturally and then maintenance of. Dr Welch structured this book so that it is not necessary to start at the beginning to use this book (each chapter is specific to the body and maintenance of etc.) I did start at the beginning and am glad I did. Highly recommended! (Esp ...more
Joy
Same stuff you hear in the diet world today--no alcohol, little if any meat, lots of plants, moderate dairy, all organic, nothing frozen. I found the stuff she said about stress somewhat useful. You can have the best diet in the world and if you suffer from too much stress, you'll still be unbalanced. Of course, there weren't any workable solutions to dealing with stress. I need to see an Ayurvedic/TCM practitioner, apparently. I'm disappointed. I hoped for more.
Charlene
Fabulous read with insights into Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, and Western approaches. I learned a significant amount about the body, especially the female one, hormones, the connection of hormones, about yin and yang, and so much more. I suggest this for everyone.

Interesting information from page 186:

"It is optimistic or misguided to think that isolating spices like turmeric, black pepper, or ginger, so that we can swallow them in capsules, will provide the same benefits as when they are cooked w
Kate Lumsden
READ THIS BOOK! Ladies, read this book. Then when you're midway through and you realize, "why the heck hasn't anyone taught us this before?" write all your friends and tell them to read it to.

I honestly think that this book and some motivated women can start a revolution in the way my generation cares for their health.

ENJOY!
Jess
I was disappointed in this; it included a lot of (possibly accurate but potentially overkill) scare tactics about conventional medicine, and neither the examples nor most of the prescriptions connected with what challenges I'm trying to address or what change I'd like to make.
Bonnie
I liked the author's take on hormones (yin/yang balance), but most of the info was stuff I already knew like eat right and exercise.
Kathy
Explains many of the reasons behind the WHY of Ayurveda practice in an easy to understand manner. Do not expect clear cut "If you suffer from A, solve with B" type of solutions. This is an all over health book that is not a get healthy quick concept. I will be utilizing a handful of the recommendations and enjoy that the author stresses choice within the suggestions given.

Although this book is aimed more at women going through menopause or wanting to conceive, I found plenty of information for m
Emily
A solid (though at times a little dry) introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda as a way to find better health without invasive treatments and/or medication.

The basic premise here to finding balance is three fold: appropriate diet, stress management, and healthy lifestyle. These things will not be newsflashes to anyone well-versed in holistic health practices, but there is still much good information to be gleaned here.

Beyond addressing specific women's health issues (painful
Shruti
Generally well-backed and convincing advice for (mostly) women's health - diagnosis, 'alternative' therapy, root systems analysis, diet + lifestyle evaluation

Suitable as an introductory guidepost for Traditional Chinese Medicine & Ayurveda approaches to common modern health complaints, with most chapters reading as their own tale of health - complete with history, incidence, remedies, anecdotes to support customized application

Offers several suggestions/referrals for gaining specialized educ
Autumn
I would recommend this book to every woman. I honestly believe our culture is running us ragged. This book teaches you about you body and how to improve you health which is turn can improve your mental health. It gives up another way of looking at your lifestyle. I have naturally made many of these changes already because they felt right, but not I am implementing other changes into my life. My goal is to be an active and healthy old woman and if I change my life style, maybe I can be. I have al ...more
Teniesha Kessler
A powerful, fascinating, & thorough guidebook to holistically healing your hormonal imbalances using techniques from both Ayurveda & Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Jamie Kerestes
I really wanted to love this book. I waited a long time to get my hands on it. I am very interested in Ayurveda in particular. Having have gone through recent thyroid/hormonal issues I had great excitement to get into this book. However, if you have any familiarity with Ayurveda or Traditional Chinese Medicine (Qi) you might not get a lot out of it. It is written in a very conversational tone. As though it was spoken, recorded, then transcribed exactly onto paper. The chapters are very easy to u ...more
Juno
I've been reading this in fits and starts and I will say that I think the information is valuable - I have definitely made some changes and will continue to do so based on how well this information resonated with my own understanding of my body and life.

Since most of what she is talking about comes back to some similar themes there is a lot of repetition and frankly, she is not a crackling narrator. So I put it down for a while and then come back.

Despite the slightly research paper-y feel I wou
Kaye
Sometimes dry, but a great introduction to TCM and Ayurveda, with solid suggestions for lifestyle changes good for everyone.
Katherine
A nice introduction to applying traditional medicinal concepts practically. Welch really drives the points home, especially concerning stress and it's effects on the female human body. Hormones are a delicate matter! When I initially read it, I was already pretty comfortable with what she was saying, but it's a great reference and I've continually lent it out to friends.
elissa
Aug 25, 2011 elissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to elissa by: Belinda
Recommended by Belinda, the ayurvedic practioner around the corner from my house (www.wisewomanayurveda.com). Looks good, and I will definitely be looking for it! At SPK (613.0424 W439), so need to remember to look next time I head over there.

I did check this out of the library, and then I bought my own copy of it. I started reading it, but then lent it to a friend who hasn't given it back yet. I think she was more in need of it than I am.

9/25/12: Lent this to a friend and haven't gotten it bac
Selene
I am middle-aged.
Lia
This is a wonderful book from an inspiring teacher - totally accessible and full of truly important information that all women should know.
Susan
I recommend this book to all women. It is definitely not a waste of time. Dr. Welch clearly describes the physiology of hormones and suggests simple life strategies to alleviate the negative aspects that can be associated with hormonal changes across the life span if a woman is living under constant stress.
Katie
Great explanations, very clear message. A great mix of science, eastern & western medicine and practicality (she acknowledges that you're not going to be able to follow every recommendation and gives ideas for adjusting). I learned a lot and will definitely use a lot of this in my daily life.
Kellie
Must read for any woman. I learned a lot and definitely plan on going through it again and incorporating much of the practices.

I wish I had it in paperback to make notes and refer back to easier than in Kindle. Definitely recommend.
Lisa Newcomb
This is such an enlightening, and necessary book for any woman! I'll be recommending it to friends and family. It will always be a "currently-reading" on my reference shelf.
Tracie Ferguson
Not a bad book. Good introduction and comparison of western medicine to eastern medicine. Definitely peaks your interest in alternate methods to achieve health.
Karlie
Enlightening! Highly highly highly recommended for woman of all ages. Informative! Couldn't put it down.
Michelle Corley
This book is very eye opening and should not be considered light reading!
Melissa
This a must read for a woman 16 to 60.
Johannah
Johannah marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Michele Herzog-Dial
Michele Herzog-Dial marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Mais
Mais is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2014
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda
  • The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • Ayurveda: A Life of Balance: The Complete Guide to Ayurvedic Nutrition and Body Types with Recipes
  • Awakening the Spine
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Baby's First Food
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • The Primal Connection: Follow Your Genetic Blueprint to Health and Happiness
  • Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution
  • The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises: Four Weeks to a Leaner, Sexier, Healthier YOU!
  • Rich Food Poor Food: Your Grocery Purchasing System
Dr. Welch is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine. She is an author of Eastern medicine and philosophy. She has served on the teaching faculty of The Ayurvedic Institute, Acupractice Seminars, and the Kripalu School of Ayurveda. Dr. Welch regularly lectures on Oriental and Ayurvedic medicines internationally.

March 2011 marks the release of Balance Your Hormones, B
More about Claudia Welch...
Sorority Sisters The Truth about Sorority Girls: What Rush Taught Me about Life, Work, Friendship, and Falseimpressions