Start by marking “Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life: Achieving Optimal Health and Wellness Through Ayurveda, Chinese Medicine, and Western Science” as Want to Read:

Deepak Chopra meets Christiane Northrup in this women's health guide, which uses Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese Medicine to achieve hormonal balance and optimal well-being.
Published March 1st 2011 by Da Capo Lifelong Books

To ask other readers questions about Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balance Your Hormones, Balance Your Life

Nov 27, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. My only reason for giving it four stars is that there was a great deal of repetitive information, the reason being that so many of the issues outlined in the book could be traced to the same lifestyle and environmental factors and thus had similar remedies, and I found myself wishing that there was a better way to organize the information so that I wasn't re-reading the same material over and over again. Don't let that keep you from reading this book, however, because it is full ...more
Olya Chizh
Dec 11, 2015 Olya Chizh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I would give to each and every woman I love and treasure. Our culture makes us believe that it's OK to shift responsibility for making decisions about our health onto doctors. Well, that's your job, we think, so do your job and mend my body and mind. But that's not the way things are done when it comes to our health. Doctors are taught at universities where their studies fall into a certain curriculum and often their decisions are determined by what they have learnt. They apply ...more
Kate Lumsden
Oct 28, 2011 Kate Lumsden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ THIS BOOK! Ladies, read this book. Then when you're midway through and you realize, "why the heck hasn't anyone taught us this before?" write all your friends and tell them to read it to.

I honestly think that this book and some motivated women can start a revolution in the way my generation cares for their health.

Jul 21, 2014 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read with insights into Chinese Medicine, Ayurveda, and Western approaches. I learned a significant amount about the body, especially the female one, hormones, the connection of hormones, about yin and yang, and so much more. I suggest this for everyone.

Interesting information from page 186:

"It is optimistic or misguided to think that isolating spices like turmeric, black pepper, or ginger, so that we can swallow them in capsules, will provide the same benefits as when they are cooked w
Lorie Smith
Aug 17, 2013 Lorie Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Purchased early Summer and find myself rereading chapters over again. This was my first real eye opener to the powerful healing of Eastern Medicine and how it approaches a healthy body; correcting health issues naturally and then maintenance of. Dr Welch structured this book so that it is not necessary to start at the beginning to use this book (each chapter is specific to the body and maintenance of etc.) I did start at the beginning and am glad I did. Highly recommended! (Esp ...more
Jul 22, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Same stuff you hear in the diet world today--no alcohol, little if any meat, lots of plants, moderate dairy, all organic, nothing frozen. I found the stuff she said about stress somewhat useful. You can have the best diet in the world and if you suffer from too much stress, you'll still be unbalanced. Of course, there weren't any workable solutions to dealing with stress. I need to see an Ayurvedic/TCM practitioner, apparently. I'm disappointed. I hoped for more.
May 27, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this; it included a lot of (possibly accurate but potentially overkill) scare tactics about conventional medicine, and neither the examples nor most of the prescriptions connected with what challenges I'm trying to address or what change I'd like to make.
I liked the author's take on hormones (yin/yang balance), but most of the info was stuff I already knew like eat right and exercise.
Apr 16, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains many of the reasons behind the WHY of Ayurveda practice in an easy to understand manner. Do not expect clear cut "If you suffer from A, solve with B" type of solutions. This is an all over health book that is not a get healthy quick concept. I will be utilizing a handful of the recommendations and enjoy that the author stresses choice within the suggestions given.

Although this book is aimed more at women going through menopause or wanting to conceive, I found plenty of information for m
Jan 10, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid (though at times a little dry) introduction to Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda as a way to find better health without invasive treatments and/or medication.

The basic premise here to finding balance is three fold: appropriate diet, stress management, and healthy lifestyle. These things will not be newsflashes to anyone well-versed in holistic health practices, but there is still much good information to be gleaned here.

Beyond addressing specific women's health issues (painful
Jan 31, 2016 Gabriela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful discussion about hormones and a host of practical tips. These tips aren't entirely unfamiliar nor does the author claim them to be, but there's an emphasis on stress reduction and doing less that I've rarely heard in self help type books.
Jul 04, 2011 Shruti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Generally well-backed and convincing advice for (mostly) women's health - diagnosis, 'alternative' therapy, root systems analysis, diet + lifestyle evaluation

Suitable as an introductory guidepost for Traditional Chinese Medicine & Ayurveda approaches to common modern health complaints, with most chapters reading as their own tale of health - complete with history, incidence, remedies, anecdotes to support customized application

Offers several suggestions/referrals for gaining specialized educ
Oct 22, 2012 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to every woman. I honestly believe our culture is running us ragged. This book teaches you about you body and how to improve you health which is turn can improve your mental health. It gives up another way of looking at your lifestyle. I have naturally made many of these changes already because they felt right, but not I am implementing other changes into my life. My goal is to be an active and healthy old woman and if I change my life style, maybe I can be. I have al ...more
Teniesha Kessler
A powerful, fascinating, & thorough guidebook to holistically healing your hormonal imbalances using techniques from both Ayurveda & Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Jamie Kerestes
I really wanted to love this book. I waited a long time to get my hands on it. I am very interested in Ayurveda in particular. Having have gone through recent thyroid/hormonal issues I had great excitement to get into this book. However, if you have any familiarity with Ayurveda or Traditional Chinese Medicine (Qi) you might not get a lot out of it. It is written in a very conversational tone. As though it was spoken, recorded, then transcribed exactly onto paper. The chapters are very easy to u ...more
Jan 07, 2012 Juno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this in fits and starts and I will say that I think the information is valuable - I have definitely made some changes and will continue to do so based on how well this information resonated with my own understanding of my body and life.

Since most of what she is talking about comes back to some similar themes there is a lot of repetition and frankly, she is not a crackling narrator. So I put it down for a while and then come back.

Despite the slightly research paper-y feel I wou
May 26, 2014 Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, read_in_2014
Sometimes dry, but a great introduction to TCM and Ayurveda, with solid suggestions for lifestyle changes good for everyone.
A nice introduction to applying traditional medicinal concepts practically. Welch really drives the points home, especially concerning stress and it's effects on the female human body. Hormones are a delicate matter! When I initially read it, I was already pretty comfortable with what she was saying, but it's a great reference and I've continually lent it out to friends.
Mar 06, 2016 elissa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to elissa by: Belinda
Recommended by Belinda, the ayurvedic practioner around the corner from my house ( Looks good, and I will definitely be looking for it! At SPK (613.0424 W439), so need to remember to look next time I head over there.

I did check this out of the library, and then I bought my own copy of it. I started reading it, but then lent it to a friend who hasn't given it back yet. I think she was more in need of it than I am.

9/25/12: Lent this to a friend and haven't gotten it bac
Lauren Read
I have read books on ayurveda and have worked at a college of Chinese medicine. By focusing on duality (what TCM refers to as yin & yang), this book beautifully elucidates hormonal in/balance. Most everyone in this day and age has issues due to modern-day stressors, which are inescapable ... or are they? Take back your health! The appendixes are gold, by the way.
I am middle-aged.
Nov 21, 2015 Boiling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this the first time and finished the book on 31 Dec 2012 and reread it once again today. I think it is a comprehensive book and full of interesting pointers. Most people know most of it but it never hurts to be reminded of again. Some parts are repetitive and a tad boring but overall a great book for the overachieving woman on the go.
May 13, 2014 Lia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book from an inspiring teacher - totally accessible and full of truly important information that all women should know.
Linett Adell
Jun 18, 2015 Linett Adell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It contains a lot of information. Though at times it can get a little preachy, there is still a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from it. I am in the search now for an Aryurvedic practitioner in the Columbus area. Tons of resources in the back of this book make it a definite buy for my personal library.
Jun 24, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to all women. It is definitely not a waste of time. Dr. Welch clearly describes the physiology of hormones and suggests simple life strategies to alleviate the negative aspects that can be associated with hormonal changes across the life span if a woman is living under constant stress.
Sep 21, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great explanations, very clear message. A great mix of science, eastern & western medicine and practicality (she acknowledges that you're not going to be able to follow every recommendation and gives ideas for adjusting). I learned a lot and will definitely use a lot of this in my daily life.
May 31, 2013 Kellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Must read for any woman. I learned a lot and definitely plan on going through it again and incorporating much of the practices.

I wish I had it in paperback to make notes and refer back to easier than in Kindle. Definitely recommend.
Lisa Newcomb
Feb 09, 2014 Lisa Newcomb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such an enlightening, and necessary book for any woman! I'll be recommending it to friends and family. It will always be a "currently-reading" on my reference shelf.
Tracie Ferguson
May 29, 2013 Tracie Ferguson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. Good introduction and comparison of western medicine to eastern medicine. Definitely peaks your interest in alternate methods to achieve health.
Mar 06, 2013 Karlie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening! Highly highly highly recommended for woman of all ages. Informative! Couldn't put it down.
  • Absolute Beauty: Radiant Skin and Inner Harmony Through the Ancient Secrets of Ayurveda
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge Your Sex Drive, and Become a Power Source
  • The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • Wood Becomes Water: Chinese Medicine in Everyday Life
  • Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • The Path of Practice: A Woman's Book of Ayurvedic Healing
  • Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindfulness and Self-Compassion
  • Women's Anatomy Of Arousal: Secret Maps To Buried Pleasure
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality
  • Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You
  • Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Baby's First Food
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Between Heaven and Earth
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child
Dr. Welch is a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and a practitioner of Ayurvedic medicine. She is an author of Eastern medicine and philosophy. She has served on the teaching faculty of The Ayurvedic Institute, Acupractice Seminars, and the Kripalu School of Ayurveda. Dr. Welch regularly lectures on Oriental and Ayurvedic medicines internationally.

March 2011 marks the release of Balance Your Hormones, B
More about Claudia Welch...

“Einstein once said, “If you can’t explain a concept to a six-year-old, you don’t fully understand it.” 1 likes
“The doctor of the future will give no medication, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. —THOMAS EDISON” 1 likes