Start by marking “Poems of the Past and the Present” as Want to Read:
Poems of the Past and the Present

Poems of the Past and the Present

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of the Past and the Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of the Past and the Present

Hope
Feb 27, 2017 Hope rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
There is no doubt that Hardy is a brilliant writer, but the quality of this poetry was rather spotty. Sometimes it flows with ease and beauty, but more often it is a difficult slog.

The initial poems refer to war (I'm assuming the Boer War since they were written in 1899) and are rightfully gloomy. I loved the cadence of "The Going of the Battery Wives' Lament," and the humor in "The Levelled Churchyard." But the themes of most of the poetry are depressing (unfaithful spouses and lovers, unrequi
Dianne
Oct 20, 2011 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I've enjoyed reading Hardy's novels since I was first introduced to them in high-school, but this is my first look at his poetry. I confess I have no idea how to review a book of poetry so I guess I'll just write what I was thinking as I read.

The overall mood of the book is sad disillusionment, the same feeling that comes through his novels, only more focused because in poetry so much is said in so few words. I expected his poems to be melancholy but this is more than that I think. This is despa
Bee Halton
Jan 15, 2012 Bee Halton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Thomas Hardy is an English classic in poetry and surely there were some lovely poems in this book but I had real trouble to get to grips with the old-fashioned English.
His themes of love, death, war and spirituality are and will always be up to date. His use of imagery and rhythm is beautiful but the old-fashioned language did not really speak to me. Still I am glad to have read it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thomas Hardy i
Moira McPartlin
I took me over six months to finish this collection, mostly due to my slow book reader, but it was well worth the epic journey. I loved the classic form, the rhymes and the language. The whole collection has a melancholy feel and some of the poems are depressing, but they still work. I will buy a hardcopy of the collection so that I can reread some of my favorites. I will try out his prose now.
Leonardo Papale
Honestly is too hard to rate on a five stars scale. Wessex Poems should be 3,5 and Poems of the Past and the Present 3, but i can't so i rate 3 the first and 2 this. Is still a great collection of poems and i loved it.
Matthew Metzdorf
I really do like Thomas Hardy and there is the occasional good poem in here, but this book is just too antiquated and it references too much the classical tradition (Roman Mythology, ancient poetry, crap like that) which is mostly just boring to me. Skip that mess.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
R. Bonne
R. Bonne rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Luci
Luci rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2014
TLmyLXhd
TLmyLXhd rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2013
Ellie Red
Ellie Red rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
rochelle linton
rochelle linton rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Ellie
Ellie rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2013
Matthew Devlin
Matthew Devlin rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Rebecca McCaffrey
Rebecca McCaffrey rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Aarya Srivastava
Aarya Srivastava rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
MR PM COBLEY
MR PM COBLEY rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Timoteo zapata
Timoteo zapata rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
David
David rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Richard Maddox
Richard Maddox rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2011
Betsy Clark Castle
Betsy Clark Castle rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2016
Fenia
Fenia rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Inna
Inna rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Su Moir
Su Moir rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Em
Em rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2016
victoria wolf
victoria wolf rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2017
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his fascination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates cha ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...