Start by marking “Poems of the Past and the Present” as Want to Read:
Poems of the Past and the Present

Poems of the Past and the Present

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of the Past and the Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of the Past and the Present

Dianne
I've enjoyed reading Hardy's novels since I was first introduced to them in high-school, but this is my first look at his poetry. I confess I have no idea how to review a book of poetry so I guess I'll just write what I was thinking as I read.

The overall mood of the book is sad disillusionment, the same feeling that comes through his novels, only more focused because in poetry so much is said in so few words. I expected his poems to be melancholy but this is more than that I think. This is despa
Bee Halton
Thomas Hardy is an English classic in poetry and surely there were some lovely poems in this book but I had real trouble to get to grips with the old-fashioned English.
His themes of love, death, war and spirituality are and will always be up to date. His use of imagery and rhythm is beautiful but the old-fashioned language did not really speak to me. Still I am glad to have read it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thomas Hardy i
Moira McPartlin
I took me over six months to finish this collection, mostly due to my slow book reader, but it was well worth the epic journey. I loved the classic form, the rhymes and the language. The whole collection has a melancholy feel and some of the poems are depressing, but they still work. I will buy a hardcopy of the collection so that I can reread some of my favorites. I will try out his prose now.
Matthew Metzdorf
I really do like Thomas Hardy and there is the occasional good poem in here, but this book is just too antiquated and it references too much the classical tradition (Roman Mythology, ancient poetry, crap like that) which is mostly just boring to me. Skip that mess.
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jen Saxton
Jen Saxton marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Tamy
Tamy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Wendy Silkey
Wendy Silkey marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Gina Damiani
Gina Damiani marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Marcie
Marcie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Nathanael
Nathanael is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Iona
Iona is currently reading it
Jun 13, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Iain
Iain added it
Apr 17, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Jim Coyle
Jim Coyle marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Abbi
Abbi marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Ghada Al
Ghada Al marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char ...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the D'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native