Poems of the Past and the Present

Poems of the Past and the Present

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of the Past and the Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of the Past and the Present

Dianne
I've enjoyed reading Hardy's novels since I was first introduced to them in high-school, but this is my first look at his poetry. I confess I have no idea how to review a book of poetry so I guess I'll just write what I was thinking as I read.

The overall mood of the book is sad disillusionment, the same feeling that comes through his novels, only more focused because in poetry so much is said in so few words. I expected his poems to be melancholy but this is more than that I think. This is despa...more
Bee
Thomas Hardy is an English classic in poetry and surely there were some lovely poems in this book but I had real trouble to get to grips with the old-fashioned English.
His themes of love, death, war and spirituality are and will always be up to date. His use of imagery and rhythm is beautiful but the old-fashioned language did not really speak to me. Still I am glad to have read it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thomas Hardy i...more
Moira McPartlin
I took me over six months to finish this collection, mostly due to my slow book reader, but it was well worth the epic journey. I loved the classic form, the rhymes and the language. The whole collection has a melancholy feel and some of the poems are depressing, but they still work. I will buy a hardcopy of the collection so that I can reread some of my favorites. I will try out his prose now.
Matthew Metzdorf
I really do like Thomas Hardy and there is the occasional good poem in here, but this book is just too antiquated and it references too much the classical tradition (Roman Mythology, ancient poetry, crap like that) which is mostly just boring to me. Skip that mess.
Sameh Tawifk
Sameh Tawifk marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Twiggy
Twiggy marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Deborah Meabon
Deborah Meabon marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Julian
Julian marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Anne Camille
Anne Camille marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
eileen l gaudette-crowe
eileen l gaudette-crowe marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Cynthia Kahrmann
Cynthia Kahrmann marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
David  Sam
David Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Ralph
Ralph marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Charlotte Hart
Charlotte Hart marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Johanna Haas
Johanna Haas marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Toriana Zeyzus
Toriana Zeyzus marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Mumzie
Mumzie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Anays
Anays marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his facination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates char...more
More about Thomas Hardy...
Tess of the d'Urbervilles Far from the Madding Crowd  Jude the Obscure The Mayor of Casterbridge The Return of the Native