Start by marking “The Gettysburg Address” as Want to Read:
The Gettysburg Address

The Gettysburg Address

4.53  ·  Rating Details ·  4,808 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published March 24th 2011 (first published January 1st 1863)

To ask other readers questions about The Gettysburg Address, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gettysburg Address

Manny
I would like to respond to the unkind and unfair comments that the liberal press have made concerning Mr. Trump's recent speech, which they claim was plagiarized from President Lincoln's immortal words. There is absolutely no truth in these accusations. First, however much one may admire Lincoln, any American is allowed to express patriotic feelings without infringing his copyright. And second, Mr. Trump did not even say the same thing. Mr. Lincoln, as every schoolchild knows, said "government o ...more
Mohammad Ali

لینکلن در این سخنرانی که در محل یکی از نبردهای خونین میان شمال و جنوب - در جنگ داخلی - ارائه شده، به دلاوری های جنگجویان اشاره و بر پیگیری آرمان های آنها - یعنی حکومتی مردمی که در آن همه ی آدمیان در آن ارزشی یکسان داشته باشند - تأکید می کند
Willowy Whisper
May 17, 2016 Willowy Whisper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to memorize this in school *frowns*, but even though I was reluctant and complained and fussed...
I can't help admitting that part of me loved it. The words, the sweetly powerful way they were arranged, the flow of the sentences and the love behind those words...it was all so amazing, so beautiful. You can almost feel the love, the passion, behind every comma and every letter and every period.
Abraham Lincoln was a great man. Thank God for men who shaped our country in His grace!
Duane
On November 19, 1863, at the dedication of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg, the first and featured speaker, Edward Everett, spoke for two hours. Abraham Lincoln then stood and spoke for about two minutes, and with 260 words gave what many consider the greatest speech in American history.
Nate
Feb 06, 2013 Nate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. This book is basically just the Gettysburg address in picture book form. The thing I liked was its amazing illustrations. The thing I didn't like is that it doesn't describe things like how did the Gettysburg address impact America or other facts about the Gettysburg address but a pretty good book.
Angie Mills
Nov 03, 2007 Angie Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade & up
The pictures really fit the tone of the speech and show children some of the history behind what was happening at that time. I think this book would be a great one to read when students study the Civil War and have to memorize the Gettysburg Address. It would give visual learners something to help them remember the different parts of the speech.
Denise
Feb 26, 2012 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the handful of political speeches that I value, this is one.
Amethyst
Jan 28, 2013 Amethyst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Short, sweet, and to the point! Like speeches should be :)
Crystal
Nov 11, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Definitely worth spending the time to memorize.
Xdyj
Jul 24, 2011 Xdyj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read it long long ago in high school.
PRINCESS
Perhaps the most famous battle of the civil war took place at Gettysburg, PA, July 1 to July 3, 1863.
At the end of the battle, the Union's army of the Potomac had successfully repelled the second invasion of the North by the Confederacy's army of northern Virginia.
Speaking of a "new birth of freedom" he delivered one of the most memorable speeches in U.S.
Several months later, President Lincoln went to Gettysburg to speak at the dedication of the cemetery for the Union war dead.
Mary
Dec 20, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a speech many have heard parts of, but never the whole thing. I have wanted to read this for awhile.
Jim Robles
Jun 19, 2015 Jim Robles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this one with Pericles' Funeral Oration - Thucydides funeral speech about democracy delivered by Pericles.. See Lecture 21 of "Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change your Life" by J. Rufus Fears.

"Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war. . .testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so de
Chris
Feb 24, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can you say about arguably the greatest speech ever written? I cannot do it justice but I will write a review just the same.

It is needless for me to introduce Abraham Lincoln; if you don't already know who he is I doubt you would be reading this review. All I can say is that he was, beyond all doubt, one of the greatest US Presidents who lead his country through one of their greatest trials; civil war.

During the civil war there was a very famous battle which turned the tide of the war: Gett
Ken Moten
There is now cleaver or surprising way to introduce this speech. Written 150 years ago today, it is one of the definitive speeches of American history. This short speech was hardly so ambitious from Lincoln's view and he didn't intend it to be more than some token words to dedicate the National Cemetery at Gettysburg.

He started off by reminding the audience present that it had only been 87 ears since the The Declaration of Independence, and now they were about to dedicate a cemetery to those wh
Hannah Sidel
This story is the exact speech given by Abraham Lincoln during his presidency! Entirely written by President Lincoln, the book’s first words are the iconic phrase “four score and seven years ago” and ends with “shall not perish from this earth”.
The illustrations are all done in black and white, which reflect many levels of this era. In a passage before the speech, it is mentioned that the illustrations are inspired by real events that occurred during this time.
While it is Lincoln’s direct sp
Monchel Jones
Apr 18, 2012 Monchel Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Gettysburg Address" was very moving to me. Reading this really helped me understand what I have learned before about Lincoln's speech. Before I didn't really grasp a lot of information about the speech like I should have but reading this book helped me understand a lot better. This story was basically about Abraham Lincoln's speech that he made in 1863. I think this book is appropriate for ages 10 and up. The color stuck out to me the most because it shows the year it was in because in the ...more
Lisa A.
Dec 15, 2012 Lisa A. rated it it was amazing
If asked what great Americans past or present I would like to meet, Abraham Lincoln would definitely be in the top 10. His eloquent words stir the mind and the soul. They not only acknowledge the terrible state of our country during the Civil War but also give hope about what our country could become. It's been said that he wrote the Gettysburg Address while suffering from scarlet fever, if so he did an amazing job of overcoming his own pain and suffering to bring hope to our nation.
Kayla
Mar 17, 2015 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept
By looking at this book I thought it would go in full detail about the Gettysburg Address. As I was reading this book I realized it was just stating the Gettysburg Address that Abraham Lincoln stated. Although it had some good detailed pictures, I was disappointed. I was excited to learn more about the Gettysburg Address. However, this could possibly be a book that I use during Social Studies in the future.
Mark
Dec 08, 2015 Mark added it
What's not to love?

Succinct, clear, loaded with pith.

I have not studied it carefully and thoroughly but it seems that Lincoln chose all of his words precisely. I marvel. In contrast to his words, I think this address is remembered more than the accomplishment of the men ho fought at Gettysburg.
Joe
Sep 30, 2013 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While we all, of course, applaud the sentiments, the speech is significantly shorter than I had supposed. I guess it adds punch to say a thing in fewer words. I am surprised by the emphasis on the dead and their contribution - in popular depiction, the Gettysburg Address focuses more on the living and what they can do, than the dead and what they can no longer do.
Mike Vendetti
Mar 04, 2015 Mike Vendetti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are five versions of the Gettysburg address. this is the version that appears on the Lincoln Memorial. The Army Chorus performing The Battle Hymn of the Republic in the background adds emotion to this emotional speech.
Amy
Apr 01, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love books like this, in which the original text of the speech is given without all sorts of commentary. Sometimes, the original words can speak for themselves. I wish there were more books like this out there.
Elisabeth
Jul 28, 2016 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Just read it.

It's the Gettysburg Address by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln in a readable Kindle version. The more we are aware of our collective history, hopefully we can avoid mistakes and learn from those who witnessed them happening.
Jill Brown
The only text in the book is Abraham Lincoln's speech. Every page is a few lines from his speech and illustrated to reflect what he was saying. There is an author's foreward to explain the history of it or importance of it.
Jeri
Jun 10, 2015 Jeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me, this speech is second only to the Declaration of Independence in significance. One of my favorite lessons to teach is a Cloze read of this speech. Lincoln did not consider it his finest speech, preferring his Second Inaugural, but this is my personal favorite Lincoln speech.
Claire
The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln was a short story with big meaning! This book was about slavery and civil war. In this book I enjoyed the pictures. My favorite picture was of Abraham Lincoln saying The Gettysburg Address. I learned a lot from this book about slavery.
Steven
I read the speech, and its slight variances, here: http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/l...

Nothing needs be said of this speech or the significance of it to the history of the United States. It is honest, hopeful, and forward thinking. And short.
Abeer
I cannot rate this due to my lack of knowledge on the cultural and political context. I expected a lot seeing as how Lincoln is such a wonderful poet and letter write, an overall genius in my opinion. I was quite underwhelmed by this but I don't think I can form a real opinion.
Cynda
Feb 16, 2016 Cynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All who love inclusivity and rhetoric
Beautiful. Spoke respectfully to all men of this country. I wonder, not really, I know that Lincoln intentionally changed the plan of protecting -these- United States to the plan of -The- United States. And this from a man others insisted upon his illiteracy and his unrefined manners.
  • I Have a Dream / Letter from Birmingham Jail
  • The Declaration of Independence
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
  • Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death
  • Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War
  • The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates
  • In Flanders Fields
  • Arms & Armor
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Civil War Library)
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
  • The Proper Role of Government
  • Dear Mr. Washington
  • George Washington's Farewell Address
  • Revolution and War
  • Wit and Wisdom
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...

“Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.” 206 likes
“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us — that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.”
109 likes