Start by marking “Autumn: Purification (Autumn series)” as Want to Read:
Autumn: Purification (Autumn series)

Autumn: Purification (Autumn #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,854 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Trapped between the military and the dead, the remaining survivors carve out a fragile and uncertain existence. In a moment of madness their safety and security is jeopardised. All hope is gone, but in the rotting shadows of the past, they find the key to what remains of their future.
Published August 16th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn

Jason
4.5 Stars

"The balance of our world has been changed forever. Mankind is being cleansed from the face of the planet. Purification has begun."

Book 3 of David Moody's Autumn series comes to a well put together ending in this book Autumn: Purification. This is the final book of the main storyline even though there are two additional books in the Autumn world. The best aspect to this series is the consistency from one book to the next. This is not your everyday meat grinder zombie story where the her
Jo Anne B

I read this book right after the second one and enjoyed this one a lot more. This time Michael and Emma were in it from the get go and the book was all about getting to the place that could give them all a future.

There are more characters introduced who have some handy skills and knowledge but we still have Michael, Emma, Cooper, Donna, Armitage, and Croft.
Dreadlocksmile
“Autumn: Purification” is the third book of David Moody’s four part post-apocalyptic zombie saga. Following on directly from where “Autumn: The City” left off, the reader should already be aware of all the main characters. Bursting with action from the start, the survivors are thrown once again into the dangerous rotting world of the undead, mixing horrific tension with the dark mental anguish that the survivors feel daily.
Influenced heavily but Romero’s zombie films, the book takes on many of t
Rebecca Snow
Having read David Moody’s original book Autumn online for free a bunch of years back and gotten The City a few months back with a Border’s coupon, I knew I had to pre-order Purification when it popped up as a suggestion for me on Amazon back in March. Mr. Moody’s portrayal of survivors among a billion dead makes for an astounding read. There are always those people you want to shake, or hug, or just leave alone. While reading the books, I couldn’t find a single character I could shrug off and no ...more
Alondra
Apr 03, 2014 Alondra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombie-lovers
Shelves: books-i-own
4.5 Stars

This was a solid build-up of "creep." These zombies are changing and surely not for the better; and the humans aren't anything to sneeze at either.

Well-written story again from Mr Moody, and the zombies decided not to play second fiddle to our main characters. They have evolved...

...with the future so bleak, can our human survivors cope with these new changes? Is there any true escape, and if so; is it all physical? What happens now?

This story had me tense and on edge throughout; can
Netanella
Great book in the series. Very, very creepy - the silence, the darkness, the hatred of the undead. Moody's Autumn series has a very different feel from the typical zombie book - quite obviously, there's no munching on body parts. But it's the silent creep factor that gets to you - so much scarier than most things I've read in a long, long while.

Awesome series!
Holden Attradies
So far I have enjoyed every book in this series better than the previous one. Although the beginning of the zombie infections are usually my favorite aspect of a story, I have to admit this is by far my favorite book in the series so far even though the beginnings of the infection are now long gone.

Due to the ending of the last book and I think partially from the cover art I was expecting most of this book to take place in and around the military base the characters ended up at in the last one,
Katie Kenig
Third in Moody's series of zombie novels that never mention "the z word".

Because rotting corpses... well, rot... things are getting slightly different for the survivors. The creatures that have been tormenting them are changing. They are less on the attack and more on the move for self-preservation. Will this be better or worse for the survivors? Since the survivors are perceived as a threat to the survival of zombies, you do the math.

Our intrepid band, holed up in the underground military bunk
David McDonald
After having loved David Moody's Autumn and its sequel Autumn: The City, I was eager to get started on the third title in the series, Autumn: Purification.

Autumn: Purification opens with a brief recap leading to the events narrated herein and thereafter, picks up almost immediately from where Autumn: The City left off. This had me ever so slightly worried since it would have been incredibly easy for Moody to take the path of least resistance and created a clone of the plot from Romero's Day of t
Michele
The Autumn series took a huge leap with Purification. First we were able to see how the disease hit the countryside and then the city - allowing us to see that there really wasn't a way to outsmart the apocalypse (because we always think we know a better way). Moody makes sure we can see the full scope by dividing the experiencwe out in the first two books. Then comes Purification to not only allow us to move forward with the group and debate if there can be a future but also allows a glimpse at ...more
Luis Dantas
Jan 10, 2013 Luis Dantas rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Genre fans who enjoy focus on the characters as opposed to action and sci-fi
Better than the previous two books, "Purification" spends less time establishing or reminding us of the absurd and danger of the situation and therefore has more space for both action and character development.

It provides answers, as well, albeit hardly any definitive ones. I happen to like it better that way; it would be pretty absurd for a zombie apocalypse scenario to give us solid, unquestionable answers about What Truly Happened. All the same, Purification comes quite close, as far as would
Henry Wien
Henry Wien
Humanities 1
12-3-12

Book Review

Autumn Purification, by David Moody, is the 3rd book in the 6-part spine chilling Horror/Action Autumn series. The book offers a great Synopsis, “One day in September a virulent plague spread throughout the world, killing billions. Even now, the full horror of the plague is just beginning for the dead are not just dead…
One small group of survivors is imprisoned in an underground base, trapped between the door to the outside world and the sealed entrance to
Kike Sandman
A la tercera lo consiguió!!!
"Zona Zombie" es el desenlace de la trilogía de Moody y para mi el mejor de los tres. Los antecesores "Septiembre Zombie" y "Ciudad Zombie" me aburrieron de forma desmesurada así que decidí leer este con muchos prejuicios, mas que nada para acabar algo que tenia empezado. Aquí parece que David echa el resto y cierra muy bien la historia, con mas violencia que sus dos antecesoras.
Becky
The survivors from AUTUMN and AUTUMN: THE CITY have finally come together and are holed up in a military bunker. Unfortunately, the soldiers in said bunker have been cut off from the virus and are not immune, making things complicated for the groups. As the dead swarm above, the survivors come to the conclusion that they must soon move on. Their opportunity comes when the soldiers begin a mass attack on the horde outside.

Third in the series of five presents new challenges to the growing group.
EinsteinShrugged
I am a big fan of the Hater series by Moody and picked up the Autumn series thinking it would be just as good. I should, perhaps, reconsider how often I go around thinking. I managed to finished Autumn, Autumn: Disintegration and Autumn: Purification and am giving them all the same reviews here just so that I might save another bibliophile the same fate.

The Autumn series is slow, two-dimensional, filled with gawd-awful dialogue and generally a chore to read. The fact that I read the full three
Florence
Really great "zombie" read. David Moody has the ability to describe the most terrifying scenes ever. With each of his Autumn books I had been terrifyed to go outside because the undead could be walking. It was a well written terrifyingly good book. Not only did he describe the dead decaying flesh amazingly but he also describe the desolate of the people living in that world. Very realistic for a zombie book.

This one is the fastest paced Autumn book through out the whole story. Which is amazing.

I
Jed Thomson
A good zombie apocalypse horror very survivalist orientated ... hard to put down
Jupiter Barrera
Muy buen libro me mantuvo entretenido hasta el final
Jonathan Echevarria
The third installment in the Autumn series that has a cast that rivals Robert Kirkman's Walking Dead series. You won't find samurai wielding warriors in this series, since our main characters are your average everyday living citizens. Which for me is much more intriguing.
Meghan Bamberg
Really cool turn of events in a zombie world that I have never seen in any books, movies, or tv shows. Very impressed. Excited for the next three.
BookJunkie
GREAT series still.. I enjoyed this book just as much as the others.. I am looking forward to what happens with the group.. I hope there is more in store for Michael and Emma.. I am also looking forward to hearing more about Cooper.. I would have to say they are my favorites.. There were parts in there I was like what.. nail biting and yes even at times sitting there talking to myself about things they could do or should have done.. lol.. although you tell anyone I will deny it.. Looking forward ...more
Marie
Well, David Moody does it again and has surpassed his previous work w/ gut wrenching, seat of your pants, emotional rollercoster realism that even Stephen King would be impressed. I really appreciate his ability to capture every nuance of the human experience. This one really made me sit back and say "Hell, what would I have done in their situation"? I just thank god that the dead don't actually come back in such a fashion or we would certainly be proverbially screwed... to put it mildly!! Good ...more
Metagion

This is a cool book, and I recommend it...Lots of zombies (of course) but it takes the perspective of not only the survivors but also the military as they deal with the Undead threat and the conditions that they endure in survival...I really like the fact that it draws you in and makes you feel the desperation of the folks (military AND civilian alike) and the conditions they face. The ONLY drawback to these series is it's set in England; if you're not familiar with English phrases and places yo
Joseph Barnes
Here we go...Book 3... This is where I get a little confused. There are several books in the series and this one seemed to wrap everything up. Don't get me wrong. It's a great book and a great ending; however you find out at the beginning of book 4 that there were some complications with the publishers and the author had actually written some other books with different characters but the same major plot. I don't thank the other books should have been added to the set but what the heck. I'm off t ...more
Sara
I think this series has gotten a little better with each book. I LOVE the cover art for this one.

When I started the first book, it reminded me a little bit of The Stand which set the bar SERIOUSLY high (sorry, Mr. Moody). When a mysterious virus wipes out 99% of the earth's population in a single morning the survivors are left trying to find some way to go on. The difference here? After a couple of days these dead bodies get back up.

Very creepy stuff, I can't wait to see how this series wraps u
Carol
The third book in this brilliant series.

The survivors find themselves at a disused airport hoping to fly to Cormansey and relative safety. As a group of volunteers go and start the clearup of the island the reanimated bodies change and start to become more aware of their surroundings and the survivors.

This series of books deals with the hardships of ordinary people try to find a way of surviving and make a life away from the horrors of life after the world died around them.
Albert Yates
I'm really impressed with David Moody's entire Autumn devices thus far. after introducing a self centered character in the first book new able to get us to care for his well being.

After starting this book where the last ended, I wasn't sure how things could have gotten any worse for the survivors after seeking refuge with the military.

once again be presents us with a zombie that's ewpaiejv and adapting to the world around it. are they getting more self aware?
Scottnval Zeck
I dont want to say I liked these books but I did not dislike them and I did keep reading them. It was sort of like not being able to turn away from watching a horrible accident. I am not calling the trilogy a horrible accident but in the books its like one bad thing to another bad thing to the worst possible thing. And after the end of the first book I thought to myself "what the hell was all that for". So if that is what David Moody was going for then bravo.
Thee_ron_clark
Aug 13, 2008 Thee_ron_clark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of horror and zombies.
Shelves: zombies
I actually purchased the ebook to this a few years back and procrastinated on reading it for awhile because I wasn't really into it after the second book. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed and I lost the ebook. I decided to go ahead and pick it up on Amazon and man, was I glad I did. This was a great closing to Moody's interesting and original take on a zombie epidemic. I will definitely be looking into more of this author's work.
  • Eden
  • Apocalypse of the Dead (Dead World, #2)
  • Dying to Live: Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • Siege  (As The World Dies, #3)
  • Monster Planet (Zombies, #3)
  • Domain of the Dead
  • Down the Road
  • New Zed Order: Survive
  • City of the Dead
  • Every Sigh, the End
David Moody was born in 1970 and grew up in Birmingham on a diet of trashy horror and pulp science fiction books and movies. He worked as a bank manager and as operations manager for a number of financial institutions before giving up the day job to write about the end of the world for a living. He has written a number of horror novels, including AUTUMN, which has been downloaded more than half a ...more
More about David Moody...
Hater (Hater, #1) Autumn Dog Blood (Hater, #2) Autumn: The City Them or Us (Hater, #3)