Start by marking “The Elves and the Shoemaker” as Want to Read:
The Elves and the Shoemaker

The Elves and the Shoemaker

The poor old shoemaker becomes successful with the help of two elves who finish his shoes during the night.
Published March 1st 1992 by Scholastic (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Elves and the Shoemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elves and the Shoemaker

Tessa
Nov 26, 2016 Tessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was a cute and short tale, it was predictable but it would be a good book for young children, they would enjoy it.
Malory Turnbull
The book starts off talking about the shoemaker being poor and how they are worried about money then it shoots to the positive. This book shows how even when your down you will always be up again you just have to believe in yourself and look for help when needed. I read this book when I was little and was obsessed with it because it was like magic how the shoes appeared. The story has a very happy fairy tale but real life situation involved. This would be a good book to read and maybe talk about ...more
Cara Byrne
Sep 13, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing particularly inventive about the story, writing or illustrations in this classic picture book, but after coming back to it twenty+ years after first reading this book, I am still charmed by the elderly couple and the helpful elves who work together to make shoes. It's lovely and a book I'm happy to share with Lu.
Patricia
I have always liked this magical little story. In this well-written edition, I especially love the illustrations of the clothes the shoemaker's wife makes for the little elves, as well as the fashions everyone else wears. It's a charming book.
Jessica
Apr 22, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I was so excited to find this in my library. It's the exact one I had as a child, and the nostalgia alone made it an invaluable experience. It's interesting to see how illustrations and color saturation in picture books have evolved over the past few decades.
Michael Fitzgerald
Some of the worst-looking elves ever seen. Overall, a very lackluster presentation.
Kimberly Souza
Dec 26, 2012 Kimberly Souza rated it really liked it
I love this story and this version has such wonderful illustrations.
Shannon
Such a great story and I love the illustrations in this version. Classic to keep on the shelves!
Ann
Jan 02, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite childhood stories!
Judy
I'm looking for the "perfect" retelling of this story. This one will do for now, but I'm still looking for a version that will capture my heart.
Amy
Jan 11, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this Freya Littledale, Brinton Turkle version for the illustrations. A version we had as a kid.
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Potnia
Potnia rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
George
George rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Nate
Nate rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2017
Michael Earp
Michael Earp rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2009
Ivi
Ivi rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2016
Myst
Myst rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
April Fifer
April Fifer rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Alden Schaaf
Alden Schaaf rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2010