Start by marking “The Quantum Rose” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Quantum Rose

Catherine Asaro

The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire #6)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,403 ratings  ·  91 reviews
A New Adventure in the Saga of the Skolian Empire.

Kamoj Argali is the young ruler of an impoverished province on a backward planet. To keep her people from starving, she has agreed to marry Jax Ironbridge, the boorish and brutal ruler of a prosperous province. But before Argali and Ironbridge are wed, a mysterious stranger from a distant planet sweeps in and forces Kamoj i
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published December 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum Rose

Matt
I picked this up because it was a Nebula Award Winner, and as a public librarian I need to read a diverse body of literature. My diversity unfortunately just happens to be within science fiction.

I read a sexist comment once online where a guy said that he thought that women science fiction writers seemed to all be inspired by "Star Trek". He obviously wanted to start a flame war, and I of course don't think this is true. [Let me just say here, I think Octavia Butler was one of the best science
Jon
Here are a few reasons why it may have won the Nebula:

* The entire novel is an allegory for quantum scattering theory. This is a clever and unexpected device.
* The series brings back the old "space opera" style of science fiction. (Think "Star Wars.")
* The technology described in the books is much more carefully balanced with current scientific knowledge than in most "space opera" books.

And here's one reason why maybe it shouldn't have won a Nebula:

"If thwarted passion could have powered spa
Kait
This novel has a really cool science fiction backdrop but a really insipid plot. In this case, you really can judge a book by its hilariously terrible cover.

It’s a mostly nonsensical story about the whirlwind romance between a petite beautiful snowflake and her creepy husband (who buys her from her family with a room full of treasure, and literally tells her he almost just raped her but decided to marry her instead. AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ROMANTIC).

Which is really too bad, because the unive
Timothy
A book of the "Saga of the Skolian Empire" series, 'The Quantim Rose' is a book that probably requires a rudimentary background knowledge of the series to understand the full story. Overall, at it's core, it's a story of a romance between two worlds and cultures that go horribly wrong; which, our two protagonists struggle to overcome to change things for the better. Fans of Star Trek's "The Prime Directive" might find this of interest when the spirit of that rule is not followed in this book.
As
Benjamin
Apr 11, 2007 Benjamin rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of tedious, formulaic science fiction
Shelves: fantasy
About halfway through this interesting, but deeply flawed work, I said, "this would be better if the writer could write artfully." But then the plot took a sharp left into being about something else entirely, and I had to force myself to finish.

The premise is good. Woman governs a small feudal province in the decaying remnants of what used to be a super-future human culture. Woman gets swept off her feet by warlord who turns out to be from space. Problems ensue.

It was good, but that book ended,
Renee
I feel a bit sorry for this book. It came in while I was waiting for A Dance with Dragons so I got just a few pages into it when I put it down again. And I'll admit that, even when I started it again, it took me quite a few chapters to actually feel committed to finishing the book. What I realized, thankfully, was that it's been a very long time since I read a book set in a world that I'm unfamiliar with. A long, long time. That was a jolting realization of itself.

I'm glad I kept reading -- the
Barry Behrmann
Rivets. I recently heard that it's the telltale sign that differentiates the two main scifi genres. If the cover art has rivets then the book will be a science-based scifi story, and if it doesn't then it'll be a fantasy-based scifi story. I'm a fan of rivets. On my continuing quest to read all of the Hugo and Nebula Award winning novels, though, I came across the Quantum Rose. My initial impression of the novel before I even cracked the cover... no rivets. Regardless, I'm glad I read on.

This is
Brandy
Impresionante. Me quedo con ganas de leer más de Asaro pero lamentablemente no va a ser tarea fácil. Sólo me queda un título y estoy esperando a que lo salden (Inversión primaria). Y a continuación, intentar leerlos en inglés.
Corroboro lo que Diamond Star me indicó. Asaro se convierte en una de mis favoritas por saber mezclar con inteligencia historias de amor en escenarios de ficción. Aunque reconozco que es más que posible que estas historias las disfrute una gran minoría ya que los que leen s
Cat
In what I now think of as "Catherine Asaro style," she jumps to another portion of her universe, creating another puzzle piece that will (hopefully?) tie together more portions of the saga.

TRIGGER WARNING: This one has an abuser in the story line, as well as someone who's spent years enduring abuse, and has to come to grips with whether to break the cycle. I would be careful who I might recommend this book to, based on the trigger warning.

But if you are not someone who shoulders that type of sc
John Loyd
The Quantum Rose (2000) 381 pages by Catherine Asaro

The first half of this book was serialized in Analog and I read it a year ago. Since then I've read five or six more Skolian universe novels. I got the book, skimmed the first half and then really enjoyed the second half. The story is written from the perspective of Kamoj, a native of the world Balumil and the leader of the Argali province which has fallen on hard times. She is on the verge of a union with Jax Ironbridge of a neighboring land w
The Black Lion

Review by A.E. Hellar

I have been listening to the audio book Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro over the last couple of weeks and I learned that the novel was first published in its entirety by Tor Books in 2000. In 2002, it won the Nebula Award for the Best Novel. Quantum Rose is the science fiction retelling of Beauty and the Beast which isn’t one of my favorite tales but I did like the Disney movie version.

The story centers on Kamoj Argali, a young 19 year old woman who is a governor of a poor p

Fátima
Apr 27, 2015 Fátima marked it as abandonados  ·  review of another edition
Lo he intentado: he llegado hasta el 40% de la historia, pero ya no puedo más. Empecé este libro, lo admito, por ser ganador de un premio Nebula. Así que no tenía ni idea de que es, en realidad, una novela romántica al uso; hasta donde yo he leído, la autora sólo utiliza la ciencia ficción para la ambientación. Por lo demás, tiene todo lo que se puede esperar de una novela romántica “tradicional”: la chica guapísima, desvalida y en apuros que todos los hombres desean, el héroe guapísimo y atorme ...more
Michele (Mikecas)
Da:

Questo e' il primo vero romanzo di Catherine Asaro che appare in Italia, dopo il racconto lungo Il Ponte sull'Abisso. E anche questo, ad una lettura superficiale, sembra un romanzetto d'amore. Questa volta c'e' il classico "triangolo", e la soluzione finale sembra scontata fin dalle prime pagine.
In realta' non e' proprio cosi', anche se l'ardito paragone con l'interazione quantistica tra particelle, che viene illustrato ampiamente in appendice perche'
Brendan
The Quantum Rose, by Catherine Asaro, follows the blossoming love of Kamoj and Vryl, a woman and man from two vastly different cultures on vastly different planets. They’re pulled apart by cultural forces, by diplomatic obligations, by jealousy. They’re attracted to one another on a deep level, they resonate. Also, Asaro reveals at the end of the book that the chapter structure is also a parable for particle physics.

A few thoughts:

- Like Ian M. Banks’ books (Consider Phlebas & Surface Detail
Jim
Feb 17, 2009 Jim marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Quantum mechanics, Aztec mythology and a romance novel all in one? Why wouldn't you want to read it?

Also, the author holds a Ph. D. in chemical physics from Harvard, won the Nebula award for this book in 2001, and is also a former ballet dancer. I think I'm in love.
Allie
The Quantum Rose tells the story of a young female ruler on a backwater world, who is swept off her feet by an off-worlder telepath of the Skolian Empire’s ruling family. I think The Quantum Rose stands alone well enough to be read outside the series (though it does contain spoilers of previous novels), but some familiarity with the general setup of the universe would come in handy. The story is mostly a conventional sort of romance, so I think it would probably fall more into the tastes of roma ...more
Cory
Great setting and background, a really fun is-this-fantasy-ah-wait-there's-the-scifi. Intense abuse/rape storyline, which I found realistic (actual use of the word "dissociating"? the sense of being lost in conflicted awful feelings! yeah).

Not sure about the allusions to "ancient Mayan culture," pretty wary of that. Another reviewer said they liked the dealing with colonialism/imperialism and having sovereignty threatened; I suppose, but it wasn't played up enough for me to feel actually politic
Mark McFaddyn
A science teacher I had in elementary school thought I would really science fiction. He introduced me to it (beginning with A Wrinkle in Time). He was right, and I devoured all the classic stuff I could get my hands on from elementary school through high school. I preferred the hard science novels, yet a well-done fantasy with created worlds fascinated me, too (though the bar was set high with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I have continued reading science fiction off and on since then. Usu
Joe Karpierz
I remember first reading a portion of THE QUANTUM ROSE when it was first serialized in Analog way back when I was a subscriber to the print version of that magazine. I never did finish the story then, and I'm not particularly sure why. It might be because I'd let my subscription lapse before it finished, or because I was lost and didn't know what was going on, or maybe I just lost interest.

I didn't pick up any of Asaro's work after that until I started listening to the audiobooks of the Saga of
Kelly
I usually upgrade my ratings of Catherine Asaro's books after I think about them for a while, so I'll start this one at four stars. It felt like a three, as in I liked the book enough to finish it, but I wasn't blown away. I didn't love it. But afterwards, I thought about it and that's what always happens with Asaro's books. I think about them.

I do love her Skolian Saga. I love the back story, the lost colony scenarios, the space opera, the romance and the Ruby heirs. Not every book is what I wa
Stacey
One of the things I like best about Catherine Asaro's books is the mix of incomprehensible quantum physics, great plots and story lines, and the romantic-science fiction genre.

I love the cerebral themes underlying the fast-moving plot and well-drawn, complex characters:
- immersion into different cultures
- humans seeking freedom
- gender roles
- the nature of human relationships
- emotional distress and healing (caveat: there are some distressing abuse scenes)

She explains the themes: "So this arc
Maurizio Vicedomini
Da: http://www.mauriziovicedomini.helioho...

Essendo un libro di fantascienza, mi aspettavo qualcosa alla Asimov (unico autore di fantascienza che abbia mai letto), che a dirla tutta non mi entusiasma poi tanto. Invece mi sono trovato davanti un vero e proprio Fantasy.

Partiamo con un accenno di trama:
Kamoj Quanta Argali è la governante della regione di Argali. Il suo popolo, o meglio, il popolo di tutto il suo mondo, è discendente di una misteriosa razza molto progredita, che ha lasciato alcuni “
Nicholas Whyte
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1984726.html[return][return]Many years ago, when this book originally won the Nebula, I read it and was distinctly underwhelmed. But that was in the days before my bookblogging became serious; now that I am almost finished working through the Nebula winners, I felt I owed it to the book (and to its author, who engaged with me very gracefully and decently over my criticism) to give it another try.[return][return]Well. In fairness the novel itself is not all that bad, ...more
Annie
There's a lot to like about "Quantum Rose," but I think what I liked best was how it totally immerses the reader in a sci-fi world that exists in a time and galaxy far, far away, but it doesn't sacrifice plot and character at the expense of world building. It is equal parts romance and science fiction. The story is driven by character motivations and emotion, but as it is revealed how those things have been manipulated through science, it is up to the characters to either give into it or find so ...more
Jillian Kern
This reads great as a standalone. The romance plot is predictable and less than engaging, but the real treasure is the truly wonderful world building, which combines real science and scientific speculation with varied and engaging cultural paradigms that reminded me of Robert Jordan's many peoples in the Wheel of Time. As a bonus, the story demonstrates a gentle and delicate understanding of the dynamics of abusive relationships and their contributing factors.
Willie
You don't usually expect books that win Nebula Awards to be a romance story as well, but The Quantum Rose is one of my absolute favorite books of all time because of its genre mixing. I sat down to read this book after dinner one night (because it was a Nebula winner, not because I knew it was going to be a romance), read it straight through, when I closed the book and looked up, it was 3 in the morning. I hadn't gotten up or even moved at all for the past 7 hours. It's a version of Beauty and t ...more
Bruce
While having a relaxing swim Kamoj Quanta Argali, the governor of Argali, and her bodyguard are surprised by a group of riders led by Havyrl Lionstar, who appear on the other bank of the river. Embarrassed by the intrusion, Kamoj quickly gets out of the water and dresses, but by the time she joins her bodyguard, the riders have left. Lionstar, who has recently arrived from another world, is notorious for being both rich and rude. As if this breach of privacy wasn’t humiliating enough, on the way ...more
Emily
Pilla
I picked this book because Catherine Asaro is a working physicist. It's more fantasy than science fiction with a fair bit of romance. This is perfect for some of my friends. It is number 3 in a series, so jumping in with no background in the universe and people was not easy.
Joy
THE QUANTUM ROSE is one of my least favorite of the Skolian Empire series because it seems less like sci fi and more like fantasy. That's because the culture of its main world is a degenerated Skolian world. The technology on which the empire is based, has broken down on this world. They refer back to the days of the Current, meaning electricity. They need to rejoin the Empire or they will inevitably die.

One of the Ruby princes takes a recovery vacation in the province of a young leader, and for
  • No Enemy but Time
  • The Falling Woman
  • The Healer's War
  • Stations of the Tide
  • The Terminal Experiment
  • The Moon and the Sun
  • A Time of Changes
  • Slow River
  • Powers (Annals of the Western Shore, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Camouflage
  • Moving Mars (Queen of Angels, #3)
  • Seeker (Alex Benedict, #3)
  • The Einstein Intersection
  • Man Plus
  • The Claw of the Conciliator (The Book of the New Sun #2)
  • The Speed of Dark
  • Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2)
Blog at https://www.facebook.com/Catherine.As...

The author of more than twenty-five books, Catherine Asaro is acclaimed for her Ruby Dynasty series, which combines adventure, science, romance and fast-paced action. Her novel The Quantum Rose won the Nebula Award, as did her novella “The Spacetime Pool.” Among her many other distinctions, she is a multiple winner of the AnLab from Analog magazine a
More about Catherine Asaro...

Saga of the Skolian Empire (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
  • Spherical Harmonic (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #7)
  • The Moon's Shadow (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #8)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)
  • The Final Key (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #11; The Triad, #2)
Primary Inversion (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #1) The Charmed Sphere (Lost Continent, #1) The Misted Cliffs (Lost Continent, #2) Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2) The Last Hawk (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #3)