Start by marking “I Could Be, You Could Be” as Want to Read:
I Could Be, You Could Be

I Could Be, You Could Be

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Illustrations and rhyming text encourage readers to picture themselves becoming a variety of people and things, from an astronaut to an elephant to an alien. Includes instructions for making masks.
Published May 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about I Could Be, You Could Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Could Be, You Could Be

Nola
This is a fairly short book in which children think about what they could be. It doesn't just cover occupations, but also things that would take more imagination (e.g., alien or dragon). The illustrations are bright and it has a good ending. However, it's written in rhyme and the meter is out on some of the lines. Also, there are instructions for making masks or a crown in the back of the book, which could be good. However, there are no illustrations or templates for these, so the instructions a ...more
Angel
I have a bit of a hangup with the page that says you can be a chimpanzee and swing by your tail since I've been trying to teach my kids the difference between apes and monkeys (one group has tails while the other doesn't). Otherwise, this was a great book with cool illustrations.
Bmack
Every child pretends to be someone else and this book is perfect for a toddler storytime. The colorful illustrations span the two page spread and and the rhyming one sentence per page text is simple and engaging.
Elen Caldecott
Edited to add: WOW! Fifth star very much earned! Barefoot read my review and amended the book for the paperback edition. Chimp is now a monkey. How amazing is that!!

Barefoot Books have a long tradition of producing interesting picture books and this is no exception. The text, following two children in their games of imagination has a nice rhythm and pleasing rhymes. The illustrations are colourful, with lots of saturated greens and blues that are very attractive. Combined, they make a great text
Katherine Salinas
What a wonderful book reminding kids that the most important person they can aspire to be, is themselves!
Liza Gilbert
The idea that children can choose who they want to be isn't new. What sets this apart from other imagine-yourself books is the stunning art by Barroux. While the characters are drawn simply, the texture and color depth of the backgrounds and filler are simply amazing. I could easily imagine framing these pages and putting them on my walls. For the story, I greatly appreciate that the boy and the girl take non-traditional roles, and that no matter who they want to be, the best person they can be ...more
Angela
A sweet picture book for under sixes about a young boy and a girl imagining themselves being various creatures, being an astronaut, a king etc., and ending with "but the best thing i could ever be is me."
Some of the spreads have pictorial suggestions of how a child could dress up to look like one of these possibilities. There are also instructions at the back on how to make masks - but no pictures! duh..
Quite good as a conversation or project starter but could have been so much more.
Tam
Adam Clavey
This traditional picture book plays through a child's imagination dreaming of what he/she could be. The major themes are identity and imagination. Children in pre-school through first grade would enjoy this lovely book.
Slee
The pictures are pretty, and it does a nice job of getting children to think about what they could do, and the value of being themselves, but it wasn't quite thought provoking enough for my nearly four year old.
Paula
Shaley Dunn
This book is very short. It is about all of the things a little boy says he wants to be. The pictures are very cute and the boy is very creative about the things he wants to be.
Tricia
Fun book to exercise a child's imagination and a potentially good fit for storytime. Rhyming text and bright illustrations add to the audience's enjoyment.
Megan
Apr 02, 2012 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers-preschool
A boy and a girl pretend to be royalty, animals, aliens, and clowns. Simple but forgettable. End matter contains instructions for creating a mask.
Rachel
Fun rhyming and bright illustrations with a nice message about being yourself. Good for toddler storytime.
good for imagination and for friendship
Jen
great preschool book about imagination.
Amanda
Amanda added it
May 15, 2015
Marie
Marie added it
May 14, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015