Start by marking “I Could Be, You Could Be” as Want to Read:
I Could Be, You Could Be

I Could Be, You Could Be

Illustrations and rhyming text encourage readers to picture themselves becoming a variety of people and things, from an astronaut to an elephant to an alien. Includes instructions for making masks.
Published May 1st 2011 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about I Could Be, You Could Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Could Be, You Could Be

Kayla Spires
Feb 12, 2017 Kayla Spires rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about the possibilities of the world and the importance of being yourself. Very bright colors painted and outlined in pen. The bold lettering and variation in size along with the rhyming throughout makes it a fun book especially for a classroom.
Elen Caldecott
Aug 24, 2011 Elen Caldecott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Edited to add: WOW! Fifth star very much earned! Barefoot read my review and amended the book for the paperback edition. Chimp is now a monkey. How amazing is that!!

Barefoot Books have a long tradition of producing interesting picture books and this is no exception. The text, following two children in their games of imagination has a nice rhythm and pleasing rhymes. The illustrations are colourful, with lots of saturated greens and blues that are very attractive. Combined, they make a great text
Nola
Mar 04, 2014 Nola rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a fairly short book in which children think about what they could be. It doesn't just cover occupations, but also things that would take more imagination (e.g., alien or dragon). The illustrations are bright and it has a good ending. However, it's written in rhyme and the meter is out on some of the lines. Also, there are instructions for making masks or a crown in the back of the book, which could be good. However, there are no illustrations or templates for these, so the instructions a ...more
Liza Gilbert
Dec 15, 2011 Liza Gilbert rated it really liked it
The idea that children can choose who they want to be isn't new. What sets this apart from other imagine-yourself books is the stunning art by Barroux. While the characters are drawn simply, the texture and color depth of the backgrounds and filler are simply amazing. I could easily imagine framing these pages and putting them on my walls. For the story, I greatly appreciate that the boy and the girl take non-traditional roles, and that no matter who they want to be, the best person they can be ...more
Tam
Sep 07, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
Angela
Sep 03, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
A sweet picture book for under sixes about a young boy and a girl imagining themselves being various creatures, being an astronaut, a king etc., and ending with "but the best thing i could ever be is me."
Some of the spreads have pictorial suggestions of how a child could dress up to look like one of these possibilities. There are also instructions at the back on how to make masks - but no pictures! duh..
Quite good as a conversation or project starter but could have been so much more.
Adam Clavey
Dec 13, 2013 Adam Clavey rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-261
This traditional picture book plays through a child's imagination dreaming of what he/she could be. The major themes are identity and imagination. Children in pre-school through first grade would enjoy this lovely book.
Katje Loon
Sep 16, 2015 Katje Loon rated it really liked it
A story about children imagining all the things that they could be, with the important message that no matter what, being oneself is best. includes a mask-making activity in the back. I really appreciate the messages of diversity, self-acceptance, and reaching for the stars that this book promotes.
Angel
Dec 04, 2014 Angel rated it really liked it
I have a bit of a hangup with the page that says you can be a chimpanzee and swing by your tail since I've been trying to teach my kids the difference between apes and monkeys (one group has tails while the other doesn't). Otherwise, this was a great book with cool illustrations.
Slee
Mar 28, 2013 Slee rated it liked it
The pictures are pretty, and it does a nice job of getting children to think about what they could do, and the value of being themselves, but it wasn't quite thought provoking enough for my nearly four year old.
Bmack
Nov 21, 2014 Bmack rated it really liked it
Every child pretends to be someone else and this book is perfect for a toddler storytime. The colorful illustrations span the two page spread and and the rhyming one sentence per page text is simple and engaging.
Katherine Salinas
Mar 25, 2014 Katherine Salinas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: olivia-read
What a wonderful book reminding kids that the most important person they can aspire to be, is themselves!
Stephanie
Jun 24, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Very cute!
Tricia
Sep 01, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Fun book to exercise a child's imagination and a potentially good fit for storytime. Rhyming text and bright illustrations add to the audience's enjoyment.
Jun 24, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
good for imagination and for friendship
Megan
Jun 16, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers-preschool
A boy and a girl pretend to be royalty, animals, aliens, and clowns. Simple but forgettable. End matter contains instructions for creating a mask.
Shaley Dunn
This book is very short. It is about all of the things a little boy says he wants to be. The pictures are very cute and the boy is very creative about the things he wants to be.
Paula
Jun 26, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Rachel
Sep 01, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Fun rhyming and bright illustrations with a nice message about being yourself. Good for toddler storytime.
Jen
Jan 14, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, storytime
great preschool book about imagination.
Amanda Augsburger
Amanda Augsburger rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Derek and Hugh
Derek and Hugh rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2017
Laurie Chester
Laurie Chester rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Elizabeth B
Elizabeth B rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
JuniorPrimaryLibrary
JuniorPrimaryLibrary rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2011
Janna Peterson
Janna Peterson rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011