Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane

Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The most successful and influential rock band to emerge from San Francisco during the 1960s, Jefferson Airplane created the sound of a generation. Their smash hits "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit" virtually invented the era's signature pulsating psychedelic music and, during one of the most tumultuous times in American history, came to personify the decade's radical c...more
Published July 19th 2005 by Atria Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Got a Revolution!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Got a Revolution!

Sandy
I had waited impatiently for many years for someone to tackle a complete history of one of my favorite bands, Jefferson Airplane, and when I finally saw the book in my local store, and then the author's name on the book itself, I knew right away that all would be well. I had enjoyed Jeff Tamarkin's wonderfully well-written, impeccably researched, enthusiastic and informative liner notes for various Airplane and Hot Tuna CDs for quite a while, and sensed that he was the perfect man to handle this...more
Rob
Sep 14, 2008 Rob rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
i'm surprised at how little i've learned about the band from reading this. there's very little, if any, new information here. also, does anyone really care that much about jefferson starship and (cringing) STARSHIP? this book is, according to the title anyway, supposed to cover the airplane, and a full third of it deals with post-airplane stuff. yuck.

i'm amazed, too, at the disproportionate coverage of the band's history - woodstock (yawn) gets about 10 pages, the "crown of creation" sessions ge...more
Lawrence A
As will be true for many who have read or will read this book, the Jefferson Airplane was/is my favorite rock band of all time. Jeff Tamarkin is the ultimate Airplane scholar, and has a deep familiarity with both the members of the band and their music. His writing is felicitous, and he truly captures the spirit of the times in which the Airplane was created, made their greatest records, and performed their greatest music.
Rog Harrison
I saw Jefferson Starship in Glasgow last month so it prompted me to read this book again. It is definitely worth a read for people who have heard the music of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship. It was written in 2003 so could probably do with an update to cover events since then.
Bret B
Aug 16, 2007 Bret B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any Airplane fan
The Airplane are my favorite band.

This book is approached with vivid detail. There are things I never knew about this band that are in this book. The known controversies(Germany concert, "Paul/Jefferson" vs "Grace/Starship") are tackled head on.
Nina
Clear and concise writing document the journey of one of my favorite 60s groups. While there is mention of substance use, the music always dominates. Tamarkin has done an excellent job of gathering facts and interviewing key people.
Terri
If you have read Grace Slicks bio, pull up a chair and read about everyone else in the group. Marty Ballin and Paul Kantner are really illuminated but Bill Graham also appears in this very entertaining book.
William
An interesting book on the Jefferson Airplane.

Well written but obviously only viable reading material for those interested in this niche topic.
Caroline
hands down one of the best music biographies i've ever read. a must read for any airplane fan!
Steve Chanin
Steve Chanin marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Rick Popola
Rick Popola marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Sylvester Van spellen
Sylvester Van spellen marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
Koeeoaddi
Koeeoaddi marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of "Jefferson Airplane" Grateful Dead Comix: 16 Grateful Dead Classics Interpreted by Leading Comic Book Artists Billy Joel: From Hicksville to Hitsville Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo & Eddie, and Frank Zappa, Etc. Shell Shocked: My Life with the Turtles, Flo and Eddie, and Frank Zappa, etc.