Start by marking “Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)

Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  58,430 ratings  ·  3,348 reviews
Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was
Published April 29th 2011 by Rerum Publishing House (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.

Woowho Just finished the book. It's ok. Fine print in my copy so a little hard to read. Story was hard to believe. Not only are they neighbors, but they work…moreJust finished the book. It's ok. Fine print in my copy so a little hard to read. Story was hard to believe. Not only are they neighbors, but they work at the same school, right next to each other's classrooms for 5 years before they are all over each other suddenly. He seems patronizing, trying to change her shyness. She remains a pushover, only now it's him doing the pushing. I wished she was a stronger character.(less)
Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
2nd out of 1,212 books — 4,034 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
57th out of 4,726 books — 18,492 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
O.M.G.! What a funny and sexy contemporary romance! It was over-the-top silly, but it made me laugh so many times! And best yet, the steamy parts were HOT.

Jason is Haley’s next door neighbor from HELL, but in truth he really is a fun and misunderstood kind of guy. Sure, the neighborhood started a few many petitions trying to get him to stop doing this or that, but he means well. And his shy little neighbor has never once complained. However, Jason is pretty clueless when it comes to things lik
Mimi Smith
5 stars

It's been a long time since I've loved a book this much, so I'm spreading the word!

You know how they say "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, let's be honest:We all do. A pretty cover will get me to buy a book faster than a tempting blurb. I know, I know-it could be just me and my shallowness or I'm a plain old book cover snob, but it's a fact of life. Now, if this book wasn't recommended to me I never would've picked it up. So, to all my GR friends who share my book cover predicament
Kristin (KC)
This story was sweet, romantic, and fun! The characters were lovable and I enjoyed the playful interaction between them. The storyline was simple, and although it wasn't action-packed, I did not want to put this book down.

"Playing For Keeps" begins with the hero and herione pretty much detesting one another. (Love that!) Haley and Jason are neighbors who can't stand each other, and they both happen to work as teachers at the same high school. They have never officially spoken to one another unti
kristina

Caution:You will laugh out loud!

I mean it!

I hate reading funny books but this one was a random pick which turned out to be sooo good!

Enter,Jason

[image error]

He is 31 and definitely the biggest jackass on earth,or at least he seems to be.He is every householders' nightmare.We can see what a prick he is from Haley's eyes.

How would you feel if your idiot neighbor destroyed your bed flower?

I dont know about you but I would have KILLED HIM!

Well in our story his action brings them closer which is go
Vilda
Rating: 3,5 stars

"His buddy might not know it yet, but he met his match in that little lady. If any woman could bring Jason to his knees it was that woman."

Playing for Keeps was definitely a hilarious read! I was chuckling to myself within a few minutes and was laughing out loud more than once. A warning if you pick it up in public: it will most likely earn you awkward stares!

While it was kinda silly sometimes, I admit I loved it! It was so cute and fun that I just couldn't help but adore these
Beverly
5 LMAO Stars

This is such a fun read! I told my friend I needed something light and she recommended this one, and it is perfect.

The story is about two neighbors who through little misunderstandings and some bad actions despise each other.

Of course, once they are forced together one day and able to communicate things are cleared up. They immediately see they are perfect for each other and become best friends.

Naturally their attraction for each other gets in the way and things escalate.

I liked
Wendy
I haven't read a book this funny in a while. It got to a point, where I'd just burst out laughing. Which led to strange looks from my family...priceless.

Jason and Haley make an adorable couple and the bantering between these two are hilarious. Not to mention the secondary characters being Jason's friends are an added bonus.

This is a real feel good, pick me up type of book, that'll have you laughing in no time. Loved it!
Susanne
Gah! This book was so freaking amazing and then it had to fall into the CR-trap. Yes, I made it up right now. Beware, the second part of this review will contain mild spoilers. I will let you know when.

The first part. So incredibly funny! I laughed so much on the train that the people around me thought I was crazy. It was brilliant!

Haley. Sweet bookish heroine who is done with being a pushover.

She was always the shy girl with her nose buried in a book, hoping no one would notice her.

Who knew th
Jill Paige
Unfortunately, I only got to page 39 of this book before I gave up on it.

The blurb implies it's a enemies-to-lovers trope, but the hero and heroine are only enemies for (literally) the first pages of the book. Very soon they're instant best friends--which we are TOLD, not shown--so the book is really a friends-to-lovers trope.

The friends-to-lovers trope wouldn't have put me off, but adding to the book's woes, it was poorly edited. (I have since read that the author is having her books edited AF
Gabriella *is awesome*
This book was amazing and after a lot of thought with its rating,i decided that it definatly deserved a 5 star.

'playing for keeps' is a perfect example of how important it is to NEVER judge a book by its cover..and im glad i chose not to with this one...the stellar reviews that this book recieved from the other readers , left me curious to pick it out at first....and now im just another reviewer hoping that i recommend this book good enough...for someone else to pick it out as well !!!

and omg !
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

4 ‘I giggled, I snickered, and fanned myself' stars!!!

Playing for Keeps is the first book in R.L. Mathewson’s Neighbor from Hell series and one hell of a funny story.

Description…

Stacia (the 2010 club)
3.5 stars. Rounding up because Jason is such a rock star.
She quietly said good night, rolled her eyes as Jason mumbled, "I love you" to his brownies, and headed off to the bathroom.

I picked up Playing for Keeps because it was getting some attention and I was curious to see why a seemingly unnoticeable book (have you seen the cover?) was starting to cause a stir.

What I was expecting : Neighbors who don't get along spend half of a book torturing the living daylights out of each other before th
Steffi
Original review: Swept Away By Romance

It has been a very long time since I laughed so hard and had so much fun with a book.

Haley and Jason are neighbors and colleagues but they don’t get along very well. Or at least it feels that way for Haley. Jason is loud, ignorant and quite selfish and Haley never complains. But one day it’s simply enough and Haley decides to change her life and starts speaking up for herself. Surprisingly, she and Jason strike up a friendship. That friendship and Jason’s i
Lisa
What a lovely surprise this book turned out to be!

I had no idea what to expect when I decided to give this book a whirl. I’m glad I took the chance. This novel has everything I look for in a contemporary romance. It was charming, sweet, sexy, romantic…, I can go on and on. However, this book was also just plain ole HILARIOUS!!!! I was cracking up at the over-the-top shenanigans of Haley and Jason from start to finish! Let me rephrase that, I was literally laughing very loudly throughout most of
Ann has a dirty mouth
Sometimes when I read other people's reviews, I think "Did we read the same book?"

Anyways, the good- this book is very well written, esp by the standards of self pubs. It flows well and is very engaging. I had fun while I was reading it and kept turning the pages. It really lost me in the last third though.

The bad- this book is about two idiot adult children who take immaturity to a new level. Hayley starts dating her neighbor Jason when they are trapped inside her house by a swarm of killer bee
Jo ★The Book Sloth★

I was very surprised when I realized how funny this book was. I had a huge smile on my face most of the time and I can't count the times I laughed out loud. It's not something that happens a lot with contemporary romance since the dark and angsty are in fashion so I'm very happy for this.

The characters and the writing reminded me very much of one of my favorite authors Shelly Laurenston. At some point I was beginning to think that they are the same person. I visited the authors page and I wasn't
Karla
The ideal blend of romance, humor, angst, and spice! I loved everything about this book. Jason and Haley’s first interaction, their friendship that becomes more, the falling out, the reconciling, and lordy lordy their time between the sheets was steamy and sensual. The writing is wonderful, plenty of witty dialogue, and it included a delightful array of amusing secondary characters.

It’s the perfect length; it was enough story that you’re committed to the characters, yet the plot is not overwhel
Emily
Always a glutton for punishment, Haley Blaine believes she can tolerate anything her jerk of a neighbor can dish out. After five years of his antics, she has had enough and flips out on him and has no plans in holding back her unleashed fury, well that is until she finds out the real reason he was tearing up her garden.

Jason Bradford loves women, just doesn't love them enough to start a relationship with him. After five years of getting the cold shoulder from his neighbor, he is delightfully sur
Amy (Foxy)
***3.75 Neighborly stars***

A NEIGHBOR FROM HELL is what Jason is when he moves in next door to Haley.
"My name is Jason Bradford. I'm the neighbor from hell."

You won't find Mister Rogers neighborhood love between these two feuding neighbors. Until one day a bunch of Tulips change their relationship.

Enemies - Friends - Lovers!

SERIES:
Playing for Keeps (A Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Perfection (A Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell, #3) by R.L. Mathewson Truce  The Historic Neighbor from Hell (A Neighbor from Hell, #4) by R.L. Mathewson
No cliffhangers. Spinoffs
Aestas Book Blog
I really liked this book a lot. It was the PERFECT fluff read for me. It was well written, with characters I really cared about, lots of adorably cute and funny moments, no heart-breaking moments, no damaged or tortured characters, didn't make me cry at any point, really really adorable HEAs, and not super long reads. I read this book and its sequel in 4 hours. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon.

I love the way their relationship developed. It was perfectly paced. Fast enough that
Tina Reber
What an enjoyable read. Glad I stumbled upon these romances! The second book in this series doesn't seem to be listed on Goodreads, but Travis and Zoe's story "Perfection" is a 5-Star because it made me cry - twice.
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
This is one of those books everyone loves but me. It was like a Hurlaquin book mixed with a Lifetime Movie of the week. I even rechecked the copyright date because I was picturing 1984. Lol
Mistress

I absolutely LOVED this book! Playing for Keeps is flat out hilarious! I couldn't put the book down. I was up at 3:30 in the morning laughing my butt off so loud I was afraid I would wake the kids. Jason's love for food cracks me up like nothing else. I love Jason, his friends, his father, Haley... I love them all. This book is brilliant! I can't wait to start the next in the series, Perfection. I have just found a new favorite author! If you want a funny, heartfelt story, read this book!

"For
Saly
I really enjoyed this book, the hero was so crazy, crazy about the heroine that he growled when he saw guys checking her out even when he as a player did that before. They have been neighbours for five years and she has always avoided him not liking conflict but the day she decides that she is taking no nonsense from anyone they discover they have a lot in common, they love sports and soon become best buddies.

The hero was almost feral in his love of food & he reminded me of Shelley Laurensto
Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
7/14/13 Reread
For some reason this book popped up in my head early this morning (like @ 1am). It was a fun, laugh out loud book so I've decided it was calling to me to reread it :)

7/15/13
Just as fun reading the 2nd time around!!!
Ren
My first thought after finish this :

WHOA!! I just find new book to make it into my Top Read 2012. And I just found my new nom nom boyfriend!

I'm so happy!!
I must celebrate!
With doing happy dance!!!

*cough2*

Now that's just weird dance not a happy dance *grinning sheepishly*

Playing for Keeps is the first R.L.Mathewson's book I read,and definitely not the last. Reading this make me amend what my lovely GR friends had said " if you love Shelly Laurenston, you will love this one". I couldn't agree m
Booklover
LUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDD IT,Enjoyed this book from pg 1 till the end,I am in love with Jason-Haley,now they are on my "MFC(Most Favourite Couple) list,adored their friendship bond and how it slowly blossoms into love.Love each and every other character in this book.Loved how the story progressed and laughed so hard on their first meet and Bradford's Food Craziness.The epilogue was cute and perfect.So looking forward to read more books from this series,i want to read s ...more
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

This book came to my attention and I bought it for exactly one reason: I was told it was similar to Shelly Laurenston's style. Sold! It didn't hurt that it was only a $0.99 investment, either. :) And luckily the recommender was correct. It did read like Shelly Laurenston. Yay! Another author to feed my need for immature humor and outrageous antics. :D

This book was, quite simply, hilarious. The start was a little clunky for me, but it quickly smoothed out and settled into a fast paced,
Belle Aurora
This book was absolutely hilarious!
I was laughing the whole time...when I wasn't crying that is.
Loved it.
Get on it.
What should I rea...: What to read next?(Neighbor From Hell-ish books) 3 145 Oct 07, 2014 08:50AM
Trilogy's vs. stand along book series 8 114 Jun 29, 2014 06:30PM
something similar 56 999 May 31, 2014 02:49PM
The Amazing Super...: HELL 111 37 Mar 23, 2014 02:20PM
Something new to read! Boys who like food! 13 228 Feb 07, 2014 10:50AM
Light Read? 10 143 Feb 07, 2014 06:37AM
  • From Rags
  • The Do-Over
  • Rock Chick Regret (Rock Chick, #7)
  • Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers, #1)
  • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings, #2)
  • Protecting What's His (Line of Duty, #1)
Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)

Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we're just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D

At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency medic
More about R.L. Mathewson...
Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2) Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3) Truce: The Historic Neighbor from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #4) Tall, Dark & Lonely (Pyte/Sentinel, #1) A Reclusive Heart (Hollywood Hearts, #2)

“How dare you touch my cookies, you bastard!” Jason said in utter disgust before popping the cookie into his mouth and heading back to his house.
“Damn those looked good, too,” Brad grumbled.
Haley sighed. “Don’t worry I have a second plate on my counter.” The words were barely out of her mouth when Jason abruptly changed course and headed towards her house.
“Well, there was,” she said, watching Jason walk into her house like he owned it. A minute later he walked out of her house, carrying both plates and the gallon of milk she had in her fridge. He headed back to his house, but not before he glared at Brad. “You cookie thieving bastard,” they heard him mutter.
Brad rolled his eyes, chuckling. “And people wonder how I lost weight rooming with him in college.”
361 likes
“He glared accusingly at her while he made short work of his clothes. "You didn't wake me up."
She rolled her eyes as she speared a piece of sausage with her fork. "I did wake you up. Three times in fact. Each time you threw something at me and went back to sleep."
Jason gaped at her. "And you gave up? You know our routine, woman. You have to
keep at it until I'm forced to get off the bed to find something to throw at you.”
322 likes