Start by marking “Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)

Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell #1)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  80,950 Ratings  ·  4,443 Reviews
Done with being the world's biggest pushover, Haley decides that things are going to change starting with the aggravating neighbor who has too much charm and not enough restraint. What she didn't expect was to be sucked into his world, but Haley has a game plan and she won't let herself forget just what the bad boy next door is capable of.

The last thing Jason expected was
Published April 29th 2011 by Rerum Publishing House

Win a Copy of This Book

• Playing for Keeps by R.L. Mathewson
    Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1)
    Release date: Apr 04, 2011
    Enter for a chance to win a signed copy of Playing for Keeps, a New York Times Best selling novel. Five winners will be chosen.

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1700 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 18 - Aug 30, 2016

Countries available: US, CA, and GB more

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.

Jen Lynn Ma gawd yes. Psh. If you're mature enough to look at the book and probably already know the book's context is mature adult; than I would say the heck…moreMa gawd yes. Psh. If you're mature enough to look at the book and probably already know the book's context is mature adult; than I would say the heck at it. It's just a book. I read stuff like this in the 8th grade as well. It all depends on you're maturity level. But really it's all up to you. No one's gonna get on you're back if you want to read a book. Just read a few chapters and if it's for you than go ahead and read it. If it's not than choose something else. Helpful hint; Try typing in Mature YA novels on Goodreads or Google and there's a whole list for more of young adult age groups who don't mind explicit scenes and other mature topics. I know where you're coming from. I feel like I've already read a lot of the YA novels such as sunshine state and they just bore me to death. I mean it's just books and sometimes we can learn a lot from reading mature books. There's more lessons to gather and experiences that might help us when we grow up more. In my opinion. But if you're old enough to look book like these up and find them interesting than certainly your old enough to read the book. I can handle some non-mature books though as well. Such as Hush, Hush series and the Obsidian series, ect. They both have a good love-hate relationship with angels and than Aliens.(Sounds horny but they're good reads.) You've probably already read it though. C.C Enjoy reading... it's all about what you enjoy. And if you enjoy this stuff(Like me) than I say go for it! (Little late for answering this but yah know.) C=(less)
    Whitney You can buy it from amazon in paperback or if you have a kindle as an ebook
    Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
    Funny as Hell!
    2nd out of 1,637 books — 5,251 voters
    Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
    Best Book Boyfriends
    57th out of 7,122 books — 23,954 voters

More lists with this book...

♡Karlyn P♡
    O.M.G.! What a funny and sexy contemporary romance! It was over-the-top silly, but it made me laugh so many times! And best yet, the steamy parts were HOT.

Jason is Haley’s next door neighbor from HELL, but in truth he really is a fun and misunderstood kind of guy. Sure, the neighborhood started a few many petitions trying to get him to stop doing this or that, but he means well. And his shy little neighbor has never once complained. However, Jason is pretty clueless when it comes to things lik
    Mimi Smith
    Jul 17, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it it was amazing
    5 stars

It's been a long time since I've loved a book this much, so I'm spreading the word!

You know how they say "Don't judge a book by its cover"? Well, let's be honest:We all do. A pretty cover will get me to buy a book faster than a tempting blurb. I know, I know-it could be just me and my shallowness or I'm a plain old book cover snob, but it's a fact of life. Now, if this book wasn't recommended to me I never would've picked it up. So, to all my GR friends who share my book cover predicament
    kristina
    Aug 20, 2013 kristina rated it really liked it
    Shelves: contemporary

Caution:You will laugh out loud!

I mean it!

I hate reading funny books but this one was a random pick which turned out to be sooo good!

Enter,Jason

He is 31 and definitely the biggest jackass on earth,or at least he seems to be.He is every householders' nightmare.We can see what a prick he is from Haley's eyes.

How would you feel if your idiot neighbor destroyed your bed flower?

I dont know about you but I would have KILLED HIM!

Well in our story his action brings them closer which is good since t
    Jill Paige
    Aug 01, 2012 Jill Paige rated it did not like it
    Unfortunately, I only got to page 39 of this book before I gave up on it.

The blurb implies it's a enemies-to-lovers trope, but the hero and heroine are only enemies for (literally) the first pages of the book. Very soon they're instant best friends--which we are TOLD, not shown--so the book is really a friends-to-lovers trope.

The friends-to-lovers trope wouldn't have put me off, but adding to the book's woes, it was poorly edited. (I have since read that the author is having her books edited AF
    Kristin (KC)
    Oct 11, 2014 Kristin (KC) rated it really liked it
    This story was sweet, romantic, and fun! The characters were lovable and I enjoyed the playful interaction between them. The storyline was simple, and although it wasn't action-packed, I did not want to put this book down.

"Playing For Keeps" begins with the hero and herione pretty much detesting one another. (Love that!) Haley and Jason are neighbors who can't stand each other, and they both happen to work as teachers at the same high school. They have never officially spoken to one another unti
    Beverly
    Dec 01, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing
    Recommended to Beverly by: Jennifer Kyle
    5 LMAO Stars

This is such a fun read! I told my friend I needed something light and she recommended this one, and it is perfect.

The story is about two neighbors who through little misunderstandings and some bad actions despise each other.

Of course, once they are forced together one day and able to communicate things are cleared up. They immediately see they are perfect for each other and become best friends.

Naturally their attraction for each other gets in the way and things escalate.

I liked
    Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
    This book was amazing and after a lot of after-thought I finally decided to go for a 5 star as the rating ;)

'Playing for keeps' is a novel that provides a perfect example of how important it is to NEVER judge a book by its cover..and I'm glad I chose not to with this one.The stellar reviews this book received from book besties,left me curious enough to pick this one out.So an applause for their fabulous review :D And now I'm just another reviewer hoping that I recommend this book good enough..
    Vilda
    Rating: 3,5 stars

"His buddy might not know it yet, but he met his match in that little lady. If any woman could bring Jason to his knees it was that woman."

Playing for Keeps was definitely a hilarious read! I was chuckling to myself within a few minutes and was laughing out loud more than once. A warning if you pick it up in public: it will most likely earn you awkward stares!

While it was kinda silly sometimes, I admit I loved it! It was so cute and fun that I just couldn't help but adore thes
    Ann has a dirty mouth
    Mar 17, 2012 Ann has a dirty mouth rated it it was ok
    Sometimes when I read other people's reviews, I think "Did we read the same book?"

Anyways, the good- this book is very well written, esp by the standards of self pubs. It flows well and is very engaging. I had fun while I was reading it and kept turning the pages. It really lost me in the last third though.

The bad- this book is about two idiot adult children who take immaturity to a new level. Hayley starts dating her neighbor Jason when they are trapped inside her house by a swarm of killer bee
    SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

photo FreeTuXBbysb_zps5b0c2c6e.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (6/4/2015)

Stand-alone book 1.

BLURB:

The last thing Jason expected was for his little shy neighbor to go Rambo on him over some ruined
    Lisa
    Feb 28, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    What a lovely surprise this book turned out to be!

I had no idea what to expect when I decided to give this book a whirl. I’m glad I took the chance. This novel has everything I look for in a contemporary romance. It was charming, sweet, sexy, romantic…, I can go on and on. However, this book was also just plain ole HILARIOUS!!!! I was cracking up at the over-the-top shenanigans of Haley and Jason from start to finish! Let me rephrase that, I was literally laughing very loudly throughout most of
    UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4 ‘I giggled, I snickered, and fanned myself' stars!!!

Playing for Keeps is the first book in R.L. Mathewson’s Neighbor from Hell series and one hell of a funny story.

Description…

Stacia (the 2010 club)
    3.5 stars. Rounding up because Jason is such a rock star.
    She quietly said good night, rolled her eyes as Jason mumbled, "I love you" to his brownies, and headed off to the bathroom.

I picked up Playing for Keeps because it was getting some attention and I was curious to see why a seemingly unnoticeable book (have you seen the cover?) was starting to cause a stir.

What I was expecting : Neighbors who don't get along spend half of a book torturing the living daylights out of each other before t
    Wendy
    Feb 15, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
    I haven't read a book this funny in a while. It got to a point, where I'd just burst out laughing. Which led to strange looks from my family...priceless.

Jason and Haley make an adorable couple and the bantering between these two are hilarious. Not to mention the secondary characters being Jason's friends are an added bonus.

This is a real feel good, pick me up type of book, that'll have you laughing in no time. Loved it!
    Susanne
    Nov 14, 2015 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Gah! This book was so freaking amazing and then it had to fall into the CR-trap. Yes, I made it up right now. Beware, the second part of this review will contain mild spoilers. I will let you know when.

The first part. So incredibly funny! I laughed so much on the train that the people around me thought I was crazy. It was brilliant!

Haley. Sweet bookish heroine who is done with being a pushover.

She was always the shy girl with her nose buried in a book, hoping no one would notice her.

Who knew th
    Steffi
    Original review: Swept Away By Romance

It has been a very long time since I laughed so hard and had so much fun with a book.

Haley and Jason are neighbors and colleagues but they don’t get along very well. Or at least it feels that way for Haley. Jason is loud, ignorant and quite selfish and Haley never complains. But one day it’s simply enough and Haley decides to change her life and starts speaking up for herself. Surprisingly, she and Jason strike up a friendship. That friendship and Jason’s i
    Aestas Book Blog
    Feb 26, 2012 Aestas Book Blog rated it really liked it
    I really liked this book a lot. It was the PERFECT fluff read for me. It was well written, with characters I really cared about, lots of adorably cute and funny moments, no heart-breaking moments, no damaged or tortured characters, didn't make me cry at any point, really really adorable HEAs, and not super long reads. I read this book and its sequel in 4 hours. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon.

I love the way their relationship developed. It was perfectly paced. Fast enough that
    Belle Aurora
    Dec 04, 2013 Belle Aurora rated it it was amazing
    This book was absolutely hilarious!
    I was laughing the whole time...when I wasn't crying that is.
    Loved it.
    Get on it.
    Elizabeth
    “If she tried to leave without him he would burn her house down, plain and simple.”

description

Playing for Keeps is a light hearted modern romance with an abundance of satire and a great deal of tongue and cheek humor.

For the past five years, Haley has been living next door to “the neighbor from Hell”. Haley is a "rule follower” with an abundance of “polish" and sophistication. Jason is a sporadic “free spirit”. Needless to say, the two are quite opposite.

Haley and Jason don’t get along. Haley has worked d
    Jo ★The Book Sloth★

I was very surprised when I realized how funny this book was. I had a huge smile on my face most of the time and I can't count the times I laughed out loud. It's not something that happens a lot with contemporary romance since the dark and angsty are in fashion so I'm very happy for this.

The characters and the writing reminded me very much of one of my favorite authors Shelly Laurenston. At some point I was beginning to think that they are the same person. I visited the authors page and I wasn't
    Nashoda Rose
    Nov 09, 2015 Nashoda Rose rated it it was amazing
    Yay...found a new author to stalk;) Loved this book!
    Diamond Cowboy
    Feb 10, 2016 Diamond Cowboy rated it it was amazing
    I enjoyed this book very much. I will give a full review later.
    Enjoy and Be Blessed.
    Diamond
    Emily
    Always a glutton for punishment, Haley Blaine believes she can tolerate anything her jerk of a neighbor can dish out. After five years of his antics, she has had enough and flips out on him and has no plans in holding back her unleashed fury, well that is until she finds out the real reason he was tearing up her garden.

Jason Bradford loves women, just doesn't love them enough to start a relationship with him. After five years of getting the cold shoulder from his neighbor, he is delightfully sur
    Amy (Foxy)
    Nov 06, 2013 Amy (Foxy) rated it really liked it
    ***3.75 Neighborly stars***

A NEIGHBOR FROM HELL is what Jason is when he moves in next door to Haley.
    "My name is Jason Bradford. I'm the neighbor from hell."

You won't find Mister Rogers neighborhood love between these two feuding neighbors. Until one day a bunch of Tulips change their relationship.

Enemies - Friends - Lovers!

SERIES:
    Playing for Keeps (A Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Perfection (A Neighbor from Hell, #2) by R.L. Mathewson Checkmate (A Neighbor from Hell, #3) by R.L. Mathewson Truce The Historic Neighbor from Hell (A Neighbor from Hell, #4) by R.L. Mathewson
    No cliffhangers. Spinoffs
    Karla
    The ideal blend of romance, humor, angst, and spice! I loved everything about this book. Jason and Haley’s first interaction, their friendship that becomes more, the falling out, the reconciling, and lordy lordy their time between the sheets was steamy and sensual. The writing is wonderful, plenty of witty dialogue, and it included a delightful array of amusing secondary characters.

It’s the perfect length; it was enough story that you’re committed to the characters, yet the plot is not overwhel
    Mitch Castro
    Feb 22, 2016 Mitch Castro rated it liked it
    Shelves: rant-and-rave

It's the book, not me. That I can guarantee.

Let me cut the chase without the review propriety and just get on with my main concerns.

I have high expectations when it comes to story pacing. If the author wants to make scene development fast-paced to avoid boring plot and dialogue, then it should be subtly written so as not to make the entire book sketchy.

As for characterization, Jason Bradford and Haley Blaine were both immature in this reader’s opinion. The break-up scenes were too childish for m
    Deserie williams
    Jan 03, 2016 Deserie williams rated it really liked it
    Contains Spoilers!

4.25 stars! So I really enjoyed this. it was funny and light. l love how they were enemies then friends and lovers!Omg at times I was laughing so much. Haley was too funny with her fist of fury.lol Jason was just as hilarious with all his possessiveness of his food! Now at one point I wanted to deck Jason so bad ! he really pissed me off. Why he would even consider believing some hoe i don't know. but then again he really didn't belive in himself to be good enough for Haley th
    Anna M.
    Jun 02, 2016 Anna M. rated it really liked it
    2016 Genre Challenge: Erotica
    Mistress
    Jul 24, 2014 Mistress rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: so-good, funny

I absolutely LOVED this book! Playing for Keeps is flat out hilarious! I couldn't put the book down. I was up at 3:30 in the morning laughing my butt off so loud I was afraid I would wake the kids. Jason's love for food cracks me up like nothing else. I love Jason, his friends, his father, Haley... I love them all. This book is brilliant! I can't wait to start the next in the series, Perfection. I have just found a new favorite author! If you want a funny, heartfelt story, read this book!

"For
    Akanksha❤ Søren♰
    Jan 31, 2015 Akanksha❤ Søren♰ rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: Everyone who wants a good laugh
    LOVED. THIS. BOOK.
    So cute and funny and sappy!

You cookie thieving bastard
    Jason and his father were suchhhhhh food sluts!
    looking for books similar to R.L. Mathewson and Angela Verdenius? 8 175 Jun 03, 2015 07:12AM
    Need help choosing between two book? 5 72 Jun 01, 2015 04:56PM
    Between the Cover...: Playing for Keeps, R.l. Mathewson- 5.5.15 11 14 May 15, 2015 06:46AM
    Goodreads Librari...: eBook ISBN - 13 0780983212539 8 250 Mar 16, 2015 03:05AM
    Trilogy's vs. stand along book series 10 163 Jan 15, 2015 09:18AM
    • Futures and Frosting (Chocolate Lovers, #2)
    • Rock Chick Revenge (Rock Chick, #5)
    • The Do-Over
    • From Rags
    • Boycotts & Barflies
    • Love Thy Neighbour (Friend-Zoned, #2)
    • Seducing Cinderella (Fighting for Love, #1)
    • Heavy Issues (Bowen Boys, #2)
    • The Redhead Revealed (Redhead, #2)
    Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)

Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we're just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D

At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency medic
    More about R.L. Mathewson...

Neighbor from Hell (10 books)
    • Perfection (Neighbor from Hell, #2)
    • Checkmate (Neighbor from Hell, #3)
    • Truce (Neighbor from Hell, #4)
    • The Game Plan (Neighbor from Hell, #5)
    • Double Dare (Neighbor from Hell, #6)
    • Christmas from Hell (Neighbor from Hell, #7)
    • Fire & Brimstone (Neighbor from Hell, #8)
    • Untitled (Neighbor from Hell, #9)
    • Playing Hard to Get (Neighbor from Hell, #10)

“How dare you touch my cookies, you bastard!” Jason said in utter disgust before popping the cookie into his mouth and heading back to his house.
    “Damn those looked good, too,” Brad grumbled.
    Haley sighed. “Don’t worry I have a second plate on my counter.” The words were barely out of her mouth when Jason abruptly changed course and headed towards her house.
    “Well, there was,” she said, watching Jason walk into her house like he owned it. A minute later he walked out of her house, carrying both plates and the gallon of milk she had in her fridge. He headed back to his house, but not before he glared at Brad. “You cookie thieving bastard,” they heard him mutter.
    Brad rolled his eyes, chuckling. “And people wonder how I lost weight rooming with him in college.”
    429 likes
    “He glared accusingly at her while he made short work of his clothes. "You didn't wake me up."
    She rolled her eyes as she speared a piece of sausage with her fork. "I did wake you up. Three times in fact. Each time you threw something at me and went back to sleep."
    Jason gaped at her. "And you gave up? You know our routine, woman. You have to
    keep at it until I'm forced to get off the bed to find something to throw at you.”
    382 likes