Start by marking “To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  69 reviews

With an exuberant mix of passion, insight, instruction, and humor, best-selling author—and lifelong runner—Martin Dugard takes a journey through the world of running to illustrate how the sport helps us fulfill that universal desire to be the best possible version of ourselves each and every time we lace up our shoes.

To Be a Runner represents a new way to write about runn

Published May 10th 2011 by Rodale (first published May 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about To Be a Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Be a Runner

Jill
Over the weekend I completed my third 5K. Running is still relatively new to me so I've been signing up for a 5K a month to keep myself working towards a goal. There are two libraries I regularly visit and somehow at the one location I seem to always find running books. This is the book I read on Sunday night when we were without power. It was nice to have few distractions, but it would have been nicer to have more light. I think I need a better book light!

The book is a collection of essays abou
Jessica
Fun and inspirational. A quick, easy read that will cheer you up and make your next few runs a little more meaningful. A few observations I liked:
The author doesn't have goals, he has quests. I love the idea of having quests instead of goals. Makes them seem more personal and engaging.
I love the point the author made about how good goals (quests) allow you to become a better person in a way that fits into your life, not by taking over your life. Many athletes forget that and become obsessed with
Christopher
I wanted to like this book and despite multiple attempts to finish it I simply couldn't get to the end. I agree with another reviewer who stated it was a decent book ruined by the author. The final straw for me was in reading Dugard's reflections on 'writing a good sentence' and how it gives him satisfaction. His mantra of 'keep pushing...always' speaks to the seemingly obtuse nature of this author. If you want inspiration, read Born to Run.
Aaron Maurer
This summer I have been on this rampage of reading non YA books and instead reading books about bettering ourselves(not self help), increasing mental toughness, eliminating the things in our lives that we don't really need that end up causing us more stress, and fitness.

I saw this book at my local library and picked it up on a whim. What a great whim as I found this to be the perfect book for me to end my summer on. It helped to guide me with appreciating my runs, where I run, my habit of runnin
Mkmcvey2
My favorite part of this whole book was on the 17th page in the essay called "Excuses, Excuses" is starts:

"To be an endurance athlete is to have a million excuses at the ready: It's too cold to train, too wet, too sunny, too Saturday. My shoes are wet. My tires are flat. I'm fat. I'm out of Gu. I can't put this book down. I just ate a burrito. My cat has a tumor. And on and on."

I loved it because as a long distance rummer it was very relate-able. To be sure there, there were other relate-able mo
Erin
Meh. I sort of enjoyed the first couple chapters of this book, but only sort of. The stories are fine, but not particularly unique or unusually interesting. The tone is a bit too "inspirational poster" for me. Lots of positivity and thinly veiled life advice, and no particular reason that advice from the author is any more worthy than advice from, say, the guy who drove me home from the airport. The fact that the author has been a runner and a coach for a long time is his only particular credent ...more
Kim
Jul 15, 2011 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: running
In having read a lot of running books in the last year, I have found that I most enjoy ones formatted like To Be a Runner. It seems that most running books devote each chapter to an anecdote of some sort. Often each chapter is devoted to telling a story about a different runner's inspiring experience, a la Chicken Soup for the Soul. I have a hard time getting into those books. This book, like Personal Record and Mile Markers, on the other hand, is full of anecdotes that directly relate to the au ...more
Wendy
I loved this book, an eloquent collection of essays on running by Martin Dugard. So many of his statements resonated deeply with me, a devoted runner (some of my friends might call me obsessed). I don't think this book will appeal to others who don't have a deep love for running, nor those who do run but do it solely for exercise and not for the love of the sport.

Martin, I'm running my first marathon this year at age 49...any words of wisdom for me? :)
Naseem
Getting through endurance runner Martin Dugard's Book, To Be A Runner, was, for me, an endurance test in and of itself. Like most runs, it started out nice, the scenery pleasant enough, the path seemingly having some direction. But like the runs the author likes to take - wandering and aimless - the book followed suit. That was all okay, I can hang with a book of vignettes about running, but it was the ego that seeped in, the guts and glory rhetoric, the megalomania, that started to make this bo ...more
Genie
This was a fun read for me because I related to so much of what Martin Dugard says about running.
Melissa
I'm always looking for something to inspire me into liking running. I run, I can't say I particularly enjoy it all the time, but I always feel like I've accomplished something after a run. So, enter all the running books I can find for helping with that inspiration. This one had an interesting title "To Be A Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking on a 5-K Makes You a Better Person."

We start the book with how Dugard got into running through his parents. Then we ju
Ashley
I'm a relatively new runner, and it was this book's second title that got my attention: "How racing up mountains, running with the bulls, or just taking on a 5-k makes you r abetter person (And the world a better place)." I believe that sentiment, as running made me a better person, and I was eager to read another runner's experience with being better because of running. I found Dugard's essays to be rather hit-or-miss with that goal, or perhaps it's just a matter of personal connection. In some ...more
Patti
I love the way Martin Dugard writes! He is clear, concise, with a dash of humor and a smidge of sarcasm! He tells some great adventures during his years as an elite runner and high school coach! This has inspired me to continue giving running a try. If anyone thinks they are alone with their unique running inquiries, this book is for you!
Anthony
Dugard shares his lifelong love and passion for running without separating it from his life. The various essays contain amazing anecdotes (e.g., Pamplona), failures, epiphanies, practical advice and coaching how-tos within the context of his parenthood, marriage, philosophical pondering and unabashed and stolid faith. Nothing comes across as overwrought, insincere or trite.

Personally, I find Dugard's book to be a rarity, and not because it joins the ranks of all the others I have found insightf
Shannon
Pretty good book. I'd say it's a guy's version of Mile Markers by K. Armstrong. Short stories about running adventures that teach meaningful life lessons. The author bothered me a little bit in his rigid opinions (making fun of people who run on treadmills, for instance). I wish he had been a little more open-minded about all the different types and levels of runners out there. But since the book was part memoir, I'll allow him his own views and opinions.
What I enjoyed most was learning a littl
Cirmustant
这不是一本有关跑者的技巧的书。装备,练习这些方面的内容虽有涉及但基本都一笔带过。作者主要结合了自己本人作为跑者和教练的经验和体验,阐发了跑步对自己个人生活和工作的影响和启迪。 对肉体疲劳和伤害的态度,对不确定未来的恐惧,如何看待痛苦这几个主题比较深刻,耐人寻味。作者经验非常丰富,跋山涉水,野外穿行,各种正式非正式比赛,这些都有独到而细致的描述,读来颇有实感。 佩服作者不断挑战自身极限的精神,正能量满满,这也是作者在文中反复强调的一种生活态度和方法。
Helen Dunn
Oct 02, 2011 Helen Dunn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
I'm a fan of Martin Dugard, I've been reading his books and his blog for years and I even have a t-shirt that his cross country team was selling as a fundraiser, so I was inclined to enjoy this book.

I found the essays got a bit repetitive over time but the general message of "keep pushing....always' is a good one. Strive to be your best self is hard to argue with. Anyone who runs will feel a connection with the author and I found many of the passages inspirational.

I think this would be a great
Caitlin
The author had some interesting anecdotes, and certainly has had a lot of experiences in the running world. I can tell he is a great coach for his high school runners! Made me want to be on his team!
Mallory
I really enjoyed this book. It really made me want to get out and run more. He is a great, almost conversational writer. I feel like we were chatting as I was reading his book.
Renee Boucher
This was an entertaining read. A collection of essays on various topics in the runners world. I found myself relating to his words often. One thing I would have loved to read was how Martin dealt with the scheduling of runs with a busy family. He has 3 children as do I, its always nice to hear of others expericences of maintaining training when family comes first. Martin sure does make you want to go out and hit the trail. His encounters of trail runs, which are abundant in his area, are present ...more
Andy Miller
Martin Dugard's book about running reads like a series of essays. He shifts from his current running likes and dislikes( i.e.trail running,like;treadmill dislike) to experiences as a high school cross country coach to memories of his days as a top notch runner in college to how he dealt with times in his life when he was out of shape and overweight

I liked the variety of running topics and his enthusiasm for running that threads its way through all of the essays. It occasionally comes off as a bi
Ami Ayala
Entertaining and easy read. Love the Disneyland experience!
Amanda
This was a collection of essays that turned into a man's story of running and coaching. Definitely something I would recommend to all my running/outdoorsy friends. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes:

That's another running teaches you: No matter how hard the pace or how high the hill, you will endure. Every struggle comes to an end if you just keep pushing forward (p 94).

'Keep Pushing' is a reminder not to settle but to dream, to live, to sing, and sometimes it's about letting go of the past
Kevin Washburn
This is easily my favorite book on running yet. Dugard provides snapshots of his running and training in each chapter. These often implicitly provide insights that are valuable for both running and life. Dugard writes with a fluidity and beauty often seen in the motion of elite marathoners. As a result, the book moves and readers will only want to put down for times of reflection sparked by the writer's ideas. Even if you are not a runner, there is beauty and wisdom here worthy of your time!
Anne
Admittedly a little cheesey in spots, but this gave me just the push I needed to get through my training for Grandma's. A must read for runners, or people thinking about being runners, or people who want to know why runners are the way they are.
I read this one on my kindle and feel like I made about a million highlights. I'd like to share them all, but that would be a super lame review, and there'd be so dang many of them that you'd have no need to read the book!
Valerie
I love to run. It helps me keep in shape, to be sure, but it is also a spiritual journey. When I run, I pray. If I try to pray at home, I am distracted. When I run, I have mental clarity and can really focus. So, first I work out my "issues" and then, I pray. How wonderful to read a book about running from one of my favorite authors who is not afraid to share his own faith. Truly, this is priceless. Thanks for sharing your story, Mr. Dugard :).
Bethany
Recommended to me by my boss (and fellow runner), Dugard's book is a collection of essays on how running makes him push to be the best version of himself. Ostensibly a "running book," it's really more than that. Dugard is a writer and a dad and a runner, just trying to figure out life. Running is his metaphor for pushing past limits and obstacles; he needs the visual metaphor ... and being the same kind of runner, I know just what he means.
Neil Gaudet
A good running book. Short, easily digested and it ha lots of little gems of running wisdom.
Jonathan Whipple
Some reviewers have given this book 2 or 3 stars because it's not as revelatory as a book like Born To Run. This book strives to inspire runners who've faltered or allowed running to take a back seat. In that regard, in my opinion, it excels. This is one that I will recommend and read again.
Janet
This was one of the best books about running that I've read. It talks about the human nature that's brought to running, racing, trails and training. It examines coaching, teamwork, injuries, recovery, motivation and so many other topics. I read this mainly during the taper weeks for my 1st marathon and it reminded me of all the reasons why I love running. A must-read for runners. Good stuff for the mind and soul.
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • The Lure of Long Distances
  • Running & Being: The Total Experience
  • The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life: What 35 Years of Running Have Taught Me About Winning, Losing, Happiness, Humility, and the Human Heart
  • Lore of Running
  • Why We Run: A Natural History
  • Mile Markers: The 26.2 Most Important Reasons Why Women Run
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • An Accidental Athlete: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Middle Age
  • Running with the Buffaloes: A Season Inside with Mark Wetmore, Adam Goucher, and the University of Colorado Men's Cross-Country Team
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • The Runner's Literary Companion: Great Stories and Poems About Running
  • In the Long Run: A Father, a Son, and Unintentional Lessons in Happiness
New York Times bestselling author Martin Dugard is the co-author of Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy and Killing Jesus, written with noted television personality Bill O'Reilly. To date, there are more than seven million copies of these books in print.
Mr. Dugard is also the author of the critically lauded memoir To Be A Runner (Rodale, 2011), a series of essays which takes the reader around the wo
More about Martin Dugard...
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley & Livingstone The Last Voyage of Columbus: Being the Epic Tale of the Great Captain's Fourth Expedition, Including Accounts of Mutiny, Shipwreck, and Discovery Farther Than Any Man: The Rise and Fall of Captain James Cook Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848

“To be a runner is to learn continual life lessons.” 2 likes
“Just the hill and me. Just the challenge and me. Just my fears an me. Bring it on.” 0 likes