Start by marking “String of Lies ” as Want to Read:
String of Lies

String of Lies (Craft Corner #2)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Parker Holt has started gobbling up properties housing small businesses in town, and Jo worries that her Craft Corner shop will be next. But when she arrives at Holt's home to learn his intentions, she finds him dead – the victim of an insidious electrical trap.

The police draw a bead on the construction crew working on the house, led by Jo's good friend, Dan. Anxious to cl
Published September 4th 2007 by Berkley (first published September 2007)

To ask other readers questions about String of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about String of Lies

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate JacobsThe Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie MacomberA Good Yarn by Debbie MacomberThe Knitting Circle by Ann HoodKnit Two by Kate Jacobs
Good Yarns: Knitting Fiction
114th out of 149 books — 226 voters
The Elegant Universe by Brian GreeneAntiphony by Chris KatsaropoulosThe Little Book of String Theory by Steven Scott GubserUne Vie, A Piece Of String And Other Stories by Guy de MaupassantComplete String Quartets by Ludwig van Beethoven
String
17th out of 32 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin
Jan 11, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-book, adult
Reading these mystery craft books is like eating chocolate. It makes you feel good for a brief period of time, and then I feel guilty later. Like, why can't I read respectable books? I don't know.
Penny McGill
Dec 15, 2014 Penny McGill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Found this one entirely by chance and I think it was meant to be because this is one of the best cozy mysteries that I have read in a while. Nice fish out of water story with the main character moving from the big city to a small town after a crisis in her personal life - she is warmly welcomed by some of the small town neighbours and is held in suspicion by others so some tension exists and it is so much fun! Her new business is a craft shop and that adds daily excitement to her life but the re ...more
Jenn
Mar 18, 2016 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the first three in this series at the used book store, hoping to find another cozy series I liked. I'd previously read the first in another series by this author and liked it well enough, though there weren't any more of that series at the book store. So, here we go.

I liked this one better than the first, I think. The first one, it was PAINFULLY obvious who the culprit was. In this one, I kinda knew, but it wasn't nearly as obvious. I guess here's hoping for more improvement with the
Drebbles
Apr 09, 2013 Drebbles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Running a small business is never easy and when craft storeowner Jo McAllister hears that her landlord may sell her shop, she goes to confront developer Parker Holt. She arrives at his home only to find his body - it turns out he was murdered. The police have plenty of suspects but when they seem to focus on one particular suspect, Jo thinks they have the wrong person and she, along with the help of crafters in her beading workshop, sets out to find the real killer. But Jo needs to be careful or ...more
Kristy Trauzzi
Mar 02, 2011 Kristy Trauzzi rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I need a 1.5. Can they make a half star system??

I can't believe there was enough to make a sequel. I'm sure if the first one sucked like this one, there would be no need for a second one.

The craft corner concept reminded me an awful lot of that knitting club book that I have read. Where she owns a knitting shop and then her friends come for a knitting lesson? But they just gab? That one! But - add to it . . . a mystery!!! Where the lady magically becomes a detective. And figures out the case!!!
Kristen
Jun 09, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: serial-cozy, crafts, 2010
Last year, I've read the first book in the Craft Corner series, Wreath of Deception. Now I've finished book two in the series, String of Lies. Another good cozy with an intriguing mystery in winter. This takes a month after the first murder, when there's rumors of small businesses is being sold to a larger corporation called Holt Meadows. This makes Jo McCallister concerns for her own Craft Corner shop too of being sold. When she learns of her neighbor's shops being sold, and worried for her own ...more
Glenda
Mar 17, 2014 Glenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 2 in the Craft Corner mystery series. Good series.
Ruth
Nov 02, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Good story line with a craft shop as the background. Fun to read.
Susan
Aug 19, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
When a lecherous real estate developer is found dead, craft store owner Jo is afraid that her friend's business will suffer. One of his employees is the leading suspect in the case. But Jo is curious about the possible motives of the man's widow, who just happens to be the favorite niece of the local mayor. She's also worried that the handsome policeman may be influenced by political considerations.
Mascanlon
A nicely done second outing in the cozy crafter series by Mary Ellen Hughes. The characters are developing and the setting is a fun one especially is you're into crafting and I am! The plot wasn't that strong and once again the heroine (spoiler here!) gets abducted in the end, but all in all a pleasant read on a rainy day in So Cal.
Joyce
May 19, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of cozy mysteries
I loved this book. I felt like I had slipped into a community of people that I really liked being around. I cared about their problems and I cared about the mystery that affected them. For me, this book was a great get-away, and I was torn when it came to an end - satisfied with the ending but sorry to have to close the book.
Cris
Aug 14, 2009 Cris rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
Second book in her series, but it stands alone. Pretty bland, common mystery. There are a few nice touches with the craft shop, but overall nothing special. (Hughes tends toward the fair-play mystery. i.e. The reader has all the information needed to solve the mystery.)
Olive
Apr 17, 2008 Olive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
This is the second book in the series. A Craft Corner Mystery. Jo owns a craft store. Parker Holt was murdered. Xavier Ramirez is blamed. Jo did not believe it so she went about trying to find out who did. This is an interesting read.
Cindy
Dec 01, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying these craft corner mysteries! This is the second one and it was great. Jo McAllister gets herself into a pickle more times than not and her curious nature and creative side meld perfectly in this cozy.
Cindy
Apr 27, 2008 Cindy rated it did not like it
The owner of a craft shop is the primary "detective" for the murder of a high profile business man. I found it to be fussy and this book won't be on my favorites list.
Virginia
May 24, 2009 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think this is the quickest I've ever read a book, in under four hours. The style is breezy and you learn not the craft, but the love of the craft.
Natalie
Apr 16, 2011 Natalie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and characters. There were some editing errors that were distracting, however, the story was interesting and held some twists.
Angela
Mar 10, 2009 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I'm not a craftsy person but this cozy mystery series doesn't need you to be. I love the cast of characters and the mysteries are well-done!
Kelly
Jun 28, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
I read this for a book group and enjoyed meeting Jo and her friends. I liked the town and the people and will continue with the series.
Annenz
Mar 27, 2012 Annenz rated it it was amazing
Another author whose books I'll have to check out, a great read!!
Just the type of light hearted book I like reading.
Jennifer Carroll
Jul 26, 2009 Jennifer Carroll rated it it was amazing
Yay! This was a great follow-up book to the first one. I love the characters!!

I highly recommend it!
Linda
Feb 14, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
This was the second book in the series and I enjoyed it. Totally didn't see the ending coming.
Andrea
Jul 20, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was a really cute mystery. I'll definitely read another one of her books.
BoekenTrol
Sep 13, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as not_read_only_released
Recommends it for: annenz
Obtained for one of the winners of my 1000-books-registered RABCK.
Wishni
Jun 22, 2014 Wishni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. Light read.
Sue
Nov 26, 2011 Sue rated it liked it
Fun read.
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Skittles
Skittles marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Merry
Merry marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
  • Deadly Greetings (A Card Making Mystery, #2)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • A Murderous Glaze (Clay and Crime, #1)
  • Thread End (An Embroidery Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Thai Die (A Needlecraft Mystery, #12)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Organize Your Corpses (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #1)
  • Stamped Out (A Stamping Sisters Mystery, #1)
  • To Fudge or Not to Fudge  (Candy-Coated, #2)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)

Craft Corner (3 books)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3)