Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)

Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #1)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  311 ratings  ·  93 reviews
The Arkansas River is the heart and soul of Salida, Colorado. It fuels the small town's economy and thrums in the blood of twenty-seven-year-old Mandy Tanner, a river ranger. When a whitewater rafting accident occurs, she deftly executes a rescue, but a man dies anyway. But it wasn't the river rapids that killed him, it was poison. Tom King was a rich land developer with b...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 411 pages
Published July 6th 2011 by Thorndike Press (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Currents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Currents

Susan
I really wanted to like this book. I've spent quite a bit of time in Colorado and love most places in the state, so the setting of this book appealed to me. However, Mandy, the main female character, was too immature and too prickly to like. She constantly lashed out at her boyfriend and her brother. The plot was just OK and I had the killer figured out well before the end. I certainly could have done without the "dumb blonde" jokes.

I've also become tired of what seems to be a trend in current...more
Martha Cheves
Deadly Currents – Review by Martha A. Cheves, Author of Stir, Laugh, Repeat

‘This was her second week on patrol as a brand-new seasonal river ranger, still under the supervision of Steve, the head river ranger. Sure, she had run all the whitewater sections of the Upper Arkansas for years as a rafting guide… But now guides like Gonzo relied on her to rescue their customers who’d been snatched out of their grasp by the river. Slowly Mandy gained on the second swimmer, a young woman. The man in fron...more
Patricia
Mandy Tanner is on her second week of serving as a seasonal river ranger on the Arkansas River, a fantastic location for whitewater rafting. Mandy is still under the supervision of Steve Handley, head river ranger, when both Mandy and Steve realize that Gonzo Gordon, a rafting guide, was in trouble with the three-raft pod he was leading down river.

Steve and Mandy both spring into action in an attempt to rescue the occupants of the rafts. Mandy manages to reach the woman who had taken a spill but...more
Giovanni Gelati
White water rafting anyone? The novel itself moves like a category five: raging, foaming, and churning all the way to the end. Hold on to the covers of this novel, the pages turn quickly, as racing through this whodunit is not an option. Beth herself will be stopping by the blog on occasion today to check comments so she can respond to them, so feel free to ask away. Enough already, what is between the covers on this one:
“The Arkansas River is the heart and soul of Salida, Colorado. It fuels the...more
Kevintipple
With rookie River Ranger Mandy Tanner and her boss Steve Hadley watching, things are about to get very dangerous on the Arkansas River in Colorado. One of the river rafts has flipped and tossed equipment and passengers into the swirling river churning towards some deadly rapids. With odds against them before they start, Tanner and Hadley start trying to rescue as many they can as fast as they can. That results in Mandy Tanner performing her first river rescue in increasingly dangerous conditions...more
Patty
This is a new series for Beth Groundwater and it is as good as her earlier one.

Mandy Tanner is a river ranger working along the Arkansas river in Colorado. When she rescues a man from an upended raft and gets him to land she discovers he is in serious distress and works to save him. When he dies anyway and it is determined to be murder, not a water accident, Mandy is on the case to try and find out who killed him, and why.

As a first book in the series this one takes a fair amount of time to set...more
Mary Brown
Deadly Currents was a very good read. The mystery lasted throughout out the whole book and there were enough suspects to keep you guessing. The characters were well developed, relationships have room to grow in future books. The setting descriptions were very well written and descriptive, so much so that at times I felt I was right there. The writing style flowed easily and editing was good. There was humor, sadness and mystery all contained within the book and in my opinion, that makes for a gr...more
Kaye
Mandy Tanner, River Ranger, rescues a man in a white-water river rafter accident who turns out to die, and it turns out he was murdered. Mandy and the sheriff's office work to solve this crime. The victim, Tom King, a local developer has lots of enemies, but the question is just who exactly sent him to his death.

I really liked this book, lots of colorful characters and likeable characters. I found that I really cared about what happened to them, and to the river-rafting company that Mandy and he...more
Gusto Dave
The author of this title is an RMFW member. For that reason, we do not rate these selections. We’re kind of biased. However, it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t have them on our shelves. And you’ll see this message on any other titles that come from our members. We do hope that you’ll consider reading it, though. ;)

Gusto Dave, Publicity Chair for RMFW
Susan Jo Grassi
I loved this book. Having lived in Colorado for 35 years, I took great pleasure in reliving my own Arkansas river adventures while reading this book. I can't wait for the next in the series to come out. What wild, white water ride!
LORI CASWELL
The Arkansas River is the heart and soul of Salida, Colorado. It also is a great tourist attraction for fishermen and white water rafting adventurists. For Mandy Tanner it is home. She grew up in Salida, raised by her Uncle Bill and working as a river guide for his white water rafting business. This Summer she is a Seasonal River Ranger for Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA). She has completed her training and into her second week on the river when she takes part in tricky river rescue....more
Kari Wainwright
Running the Arkansas River rapids in the Colorado Rockies is not for the meek. A Class V rapid can toss a raft and its riders head-over-heels into the foaming water and turn them into human debris dodging rocks and other dangers in the whitewater.

Deadly Currents protagonist, Mandy Tanner, has left her river guide job to turn to law enforcement as a river ranger. In her twenties and new to the profession, she has much to learn, both on the job and in her personal relationships. But she is gutsy...more
Stina
As a survivor of Seidel's Suckhole myself, I can tell you that Beth Groundwater paints a very realistic picture of whitewater rafting in that section of the Arkansas River, and she does a great job bringing the towns of Salida and Buena Vista to life on the page. Our sleuth Mandy, a seasonal river ranger, at times seems a bit immature to me, but I have to remind myself that she is quite young. Or maybe I'm just that old. ::sigh::

The story kicks off with a daring river rescue in which Mandy haul...more
Gina
Goodreads Description- The Arkansas River is the heart and soul of Salida, Colorado. It fuels the small town's economy and thrums in the blood of twenty-seven-year-old Mandy Tanner, a river ranger. When a whitewater rafting accident occurs, she deftly executes a rescue, but a man dies anyway. But it wasn't the river rapids that killed him, it was poison. Tom King was a rich land developer with bitter business rivals, who cheated on his wife, refused to support his kayak-obsessed son, and infuria...more
Angela Myers
I have to admit I'm not really a water person. I don't even like to soak in a bath. My idea of enjoying the water is listening to it babble in brooks and writing insipid poetry about it.

But that didn't keep me from being sucked under by this book and becoming totally immersed in learning about white water rafting and the people who are involved in it. I immediately liked the protagonist, and though I was a bit suspicious of the love interest for awhile, I'm sure that was intentional, and by the...more
Sheila Beaumont
This was an entertaining, fast-paced, traditional, outdoor adventure-and-mystery novel, which I quite enjoyed. In it, a local developer on a group whitewater-rafting expedition falls off a raft, and despite river ranger Mandy Tanner's best efforts to save him, does not survive.

It turns out he was poisoned, and Mandy is determined to find out whodunit. On the whole I liked the heroine, though she does have a tendency to overreact to things and is much too easily offended. But she is going through...more
Julie Lence
Ms. Groundwater has done it again--she kept me guessing until the very end! For those who enjoy mysteries, and for those who enjoy river rafting, this is the book for you. River ranger Mandy has already pulled one dead body out of the water; a local man poisoned at the start of his river rafting adventure. As she rescues others from kayaks and rafts tipping over, she searches for clues leading to the identity of the man's killer. Along the way, more tragedies befall her that lead to a heart-stop...more
Deborah
Beth Groundwater's Deadly Currents introduces the reader to a new protagonist Mandy Tanner. Many is a river guide turned river ranger and gets her first mystery when a raft over turns and dumps the riders into the river. Mandy attempts to save two of the passengers but one dies as she gets him to shore. The dead man is a rich developer named Tom King. When it is discovered he was murdered Mandy's uncle is the suspect.
I really enjoyed reading about rafting on the river and the outdoors and that...more
Norma Huss
This book introduced me to Mandy, a river ranger, and a bunch of other "river rats" who look to the Arkansas River in Colorado for work and recreation. This is a mystery that had me guessing the whole way, while fearing for the safety of everyone involved.

Was it accident or murder? And why? And, is Mandy endangering herself by asking too many questions? And what's with her and Rob? I eagerly followed Mandy to the end of the book, learning all those answers, and delighting in Mandy's character a...more
Dee
**Received this book as an author donated copy**

When I read the premise for Deadly Currently, I was immediately intrigued - the idea of a river ranger - which we normally don't see as a job occupation and then a mystery to book - I was excited. And Ms Groundwater did not let me down. From the beginning to the end, there were twists and turns that I couldn't predict (although i'm discovering more and more that I suck about identifying those twists before they happen ;) ). A satisfying conclusion...more
Naomi
Just a really cool book with a really cool main character and setting!! I really enjoyed mostly everything about this book. I was a bit apprehensive going into this book, because this book was classified as a cozy, which can really be hit or miss with me. In my opinion, it isn't. The other thing is that this book is really, really well written. What I loved most about it, is the outdoor setting. Beth did an awesome job of taking the readers to the town of Salida Colorado!

Most def. a series I wou...more
Maureen Mullis
This is a good mystery, fast-paced with interesting characters in the different setting of river rafting. I liked this book a lot, and I like author Beth Groundwater's writing. I still like her Clare Hanover mystery series better, but this was enjoyable as well. I know she's coming out with two more books in this series and I plan on reading them as well! If you like outdoor aventures and mysteries, I recommend this book!
Jean
In the category of fantasy fulfillment this novel rules. If you've ever wanted to be a river rafter, park ranger, or do anything like that, you'll enjoy this mystery set in Colorado. There's lots of information about what park rangers do, and how to handle a kayak. We've got a curious, to the point of meddlesome protagonist, and Nora Roberts like suspense. Enjoyable light read.
Lauren
I really hated this book. The main character seemed to be bipolar and totally irrational. Every choice she made and emotion she expressed was completely off base in terms of normal human beings. Her motivation was ok but her responses were from another planet. I don't think I'll read anything by this author again in case her other characters are also like this. Plot was ok.
I went to high school in Colorado... and I just loved learning about the culture of river rafting... something I am deathly afraid of since I can't swim! I thought the characters were great and loved how Groundwater pegged the stereotypical Coloradoan! The storyline was great too! It kept me guessing...I look forward to some more books by this author.
John
A very good start to this series. Great locale - the Arkansas River in Colorado and featuring a former guide now a river ranger. Plenty of excitement, a good mystery and a set of very likeable and admirable characters. I have been receiving Beth's recommendations for some time and am pleased to finally read one of her books. It won't be the last.
Maggie
This page-turner is filled with lots of fun information about whitewater rafting in Colorado. What initially looks like an accident during a rafting trip turns into a murder investigation, that puts sleuth Mandy Tanner between a rock and a hard place. The screws tighten as a related tragedy occurs, and you'll be dying to know what happens next.
Linda S.
Now you can enjoy whitewater rafting to your heart’s content—from the cozy comfort of home! This book had everything: a spunky protagonist, a picturesque Colorado setting, and a plot that kept me twisting in the wind (or churning in the water . . .?) until the final chapter. I predict that this will be another winning series for Beth Groundwater.
Pamela Beason
I love it when a book can take me into a world I don't really know, and this one let me visit the river-rafting environment in Colorado and go on a few vicarious raft rides with the gutsy protagonist. At times the story was not told in the deep point-of-view I'm more used to, but I definitely will seek out more of Groundwater's books.
Nola Myer
I was surprised by how much I liked this one. It was given to me and I'm not into rafting at all. Well, at least I wasn't. Now I'd like to try. Along with the rafting and scenery details, the mystery was well crafted and pulled me along at a great pace. I thought the main character was very fleshed out. I'll read more of this series.
List It! 2 5 Mar 23, 2014 02:52PM
Q&A with Beth...: Deadly Currents Kindle sale - $1.99!! 1 4 Jun 15, 2012 09:34PM
Book Club Visits Available 1 3 Jan 04, 2011 06:28PM
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • For Better, For Murder
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • The Hydrogen Murder (Periodic Table, #1)
  • May Day (Murder-by-Month Mystery, #1)
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • The Wedding Shawl (Seaside Knitters, #5)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Mai Tai One On (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1)
  • A Real Piece of Work  (Dakota Stevens, #1)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • The Grail Conspiracy (A Cotten Stone Mystery #1)
  • Murder Over Easy
I write two mystery series, the Claire Hanover gift basket designer series and the Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures series starring whitewater river ranger Mandy Tanner. The first book in my Claire Hanover series, A REAL BASKET CASE, was released in hardcover in 2007 and re-released in trade paperback and ebook in November, 2011. It finaled for the 2007 Best First Novel Agatha Award. The second b...more
More about Beth Groundwater...
A Real Basket Case (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #1) To Hell in a Handbasket (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #2) Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2) A Basket of Trouble (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #3) Fatal Descent (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #3)