Start by marking “The Book of Blood and Shadow” as Want to Read:
The Book of Blood and Shadow

The Book of Blood and Shadow

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  3,794 ratings  ·  828 reviews
It was like a nightmare, but there was no waking up. When the night began, Nora had two best friends and an embarrassingly storybook one true love. When it ended, she had nothing but blood on her hands and an echoing scream that stopped only when the tranquilizers pierced her veins and left her in the merciful dark.

But the next morning, it was all still true: Chris was de...more
Library Binding, 448 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Random House Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Blood and Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Blood and Shadow

Can't Wait Books of 2012
347th out of 2,507 books — 15,920 voters
YA Novels of 2012
279th out of 1,284 books — 10,125 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
After a promising start, The Book of Blood and Shadow turned out to be my biggest disappointment in 2012. I never expected to have to struggle to finish this book. In fact, when I ordered a copy, I was pretty certain it would find a place among my favorites, but the more I read, the more disappointed I became. I’ll start with the good…

Characters and relationships are Wasserman’s strong point. I loved getting to know Nora, Chris, Max and Adriane in the first part of the book, loved finding out ho...more
Giselle
The claims of this being like a YA Da Vinci Code are not false; mysterious documents, coded messages, religion, murder - it easily reminded me of this well loved book by Dan Brown which is a favorite of mine. The Book of Blood and Shadow is cryptic and dangerous, with a phenomenal writing style - I loved every single minute of this novel!

It all starts with the Book. The Voynich manuscript to be exact. This book is, in fact, real, and deemed as the most mysterious book on earth that no one has of...more
Emily May

I imagine that The Book Of Blood And Shadow will impress most of my friends, it just so happens that this is one of those books that appears on occasion which is well-constructed, well-written, clever and absolutely nothing that I want to read. I've seen this before and will surely see it again in the future, thankfully I'm getting better at spotting them early on - the only reason I finished this book was because it was provided by UK book tours for review purposes.

The story is about Nora who...more
Sam
'I should probably start with the blood.'

When a book has an opening line as wonderful as that, the only rational reaction would be to be intrigued. I most certainly was. What blood? Whose blood? First line in and Robin Wasserman already had me asking questions. And then we are followed by this:

'If it bleeds it leads and all that, right? It’s all anyone ever wants to know about, anyway. What did it look like? What did it feel like? Why was it all over my hands?'

I got comfortable then. This was...more
Jo
“Never date a guy who can fit into your jeans- Adriane often warned me- failing to mention that it was because I might someday need him to save me from a secret society of murdering Renaissance Faire rejects.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Sigh…. And we were doing so well.
OK, up until about 80% this book would have been a 5 star book. I was happily ignoring the mental far-fetchedness of the plot because I loved the characters and the setting and the writing. But even I couldn’t suspend my disbeli...more
Catie
I really enjoyed the beginning of this book. It’s tense and exhilarating and I felt immediately drawn into the story. As it opens, the main character Nora is reeling in the aftermath of the gruesome murder of her best friend Chris. And then we are immediately thrown back into the past, where we get to see just how amazing and complicated Nora's relationship with Chris really was. Instant grief! Instant Intrigue!

There’s also a very nice romance between Nora and the quiet, nerdy Max that’s neither...more
♥Rachel♥
This was an exciting read with a murder mystery, suspense, romance, and betrayal.

Nora lives with her fractured family, still reeling over the loss of their son, Andy. Andy drank and then drove, killing him and one of the most popular students in their high-school. This in turn caused Nora to become a social leper in school. Nora was able to transfer to a more prestigious school, on a Latin scholarship. Her father was a teacher of Latin and instilled in his daughter a love of the language from a...more
Jasprit

“Better to be slain by an arrow than
by the words of the one I most trusted”

When I received a galley for The Book of Blood and Shadow I was quite pumped as there had been some great reviews for it. But I was also quite worried as I only received the galley a few days prior to its publication date; I’m not the fastest reader and I had not been having much luck lately with books, a lot I found a struggle to get into or ended up being disappointments. But I’d hoped this would not be the ca...more
Isamlq
Wow!

I’d split this book in several parts and love each for different reasons. There’s the part with her laying down her history AND that ending (all on its own) that was awesome. The way things start one would think that one knows how thing turn up. You’d be wrong. That she took her time explaining who she was and who they were assured that I see her story through. And that ending? NOT BAD! I love how things went because it dealt with that long, twisted, complicated ride Nora had found herself...more
Em
I honestly cannot bring myself to give this book a rating...out of fairness for not finishing or ability to express my disappointment.

I could not finish this book. The writing style grated my personal preference. The sentences were too long with too many commas and breaks. Some sentences were 10 lines long and had so many commas that I had to re-read many pages and paragraphs 3 times. I got lost in what the author was trying to say.

I think what has taken me so long is that the story line is stil...more
Crystal
This book is essentially The Da Vinci Code for Young Adults. It has everything that you would expect, adventure, intrigue, puzzles, religion, and murder. Even though my brain is still trying to catch up, I really did enjoy the wild ride.
Nora is a high school senior and wanting to add something exciting to her college applications she agrees to work with her friends who are in college transcribing old letters. What she doesn’t expect is to have her senior year plagued with murder and overseas run...more
Amy (Turn the Page)
The Book of Blood and Shadow is not an easy read. It's complicated and intricately woven, perhaps even a little convoluted in places. It's not all action and takes its time. There are a lot of scenes where Nora is simply translating and decoding Latin manuscripts and a few parts I raised my eyebrows at. The old lady in me was quite distressed for the poor teachers who have three of their students run away during a school trip abroad. Several times I wondered why no one just went to the police. T...more
Kelli Lee
Apr 30, 2012 Kelli Lee marked it as did-not-finish
Failed to reach the 100 page marker, the crucial spot where I make the executive decision on whether to continue or not to continue reading a book I'm iffy about. 41 pages was all it took to realize The Book of Blood and Shadow and I are so not simpatico. Not in the least.

Here's a breakdown of why:
I understand why the word "Blood" is in the title, its purpose. For Nora toils away, sweating blood, while translating Latin texts. Très exciting, no? Has anyone reading this had the pleasure of ridi...more
April
I’m kind of ashamed to admit this, but I really liked The Da Vinci Code when it came out. So much so that I read Foucault’s Pendulum and Holy Blood, Holy Grail and even wrote a college paper on the Knights Templar. To say that I enjoy conspiracy theory is an understatement. You guys, I am SO glad that The Book Of Blood And Shadow by Robin Wasserman is published in 2012 and not 2003 because with how deftly Robin Wasserman handles secret societies, I would have inevitably been disappointed in the...more
Trinity
Oh book sadly we are not friends. You are dull and full of Latin. You are what I think is an attempt at that other book about a book I haven't read...you know the one with Tom Hanks in it, only watered down for the youth of today. But still your first chapter was incredible, and short.
Aleeeeeza
*4.5 stars*

my face upon finishing this book:

Suffice it to say, IT WAS FREAKING AMAZING!
Nafiza
So, to begin this review, let me restate the synopsis: Nora, her best friend and his friend are all working with a professor to break the code and decipher the Voynich Manuscript. Then the professor is attacked, her best friend killed and things go south from there. There is a journey to Europe, hopping from city to city, midnight rendezvous, hooded people and lots of scrumptious danger. Throw in betrayal and heartbreak and you’ve got the marvelously addictive The Book of Blood and Shadow.

Got th...more
AH

This is a review of the audio book which I enjoyed over a two week period.

This book would definitely appeal to young adult fans of Dan Brown's DaVinci Code or Angels and Demons. It has a similar premise of a mysterious manuscript, secret societies, and some sort of religious doomsday machine called the Lumen Dei. It also takes place in Prague and the city as a backdrop to the story really adds to the intrigue. Picture young Americans abroad for the first time in a foreign country and i...more
Erin Downing
I have my hands on this manuscript, and it is gooooood!
Lauren
I am going to admit right from the start that I am never going to be able to give this book enough justice in this review, because it was just that spectacular. The Book of Blood and Shadow BLEW me away from start to finish. It had so many good things going for it: descriptive settings, fully developed characters, a mystery that ceaselessly twisted and turned, and smart, talented writing that puts nearly any other book to shame.

One of the things I loved about this book was how it was slow build...more
Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review.

I decided to read The Book of Blood and Shadow (TBBS) because reviews described it as the YA of The Da Vinci Code (TDVC). I really liked TDVC so I thought TBBS would be exciting too.

It wasn't.

TBBS and TDVC were similar. I could definitely see why the comparison was made. They both have:
+ a death in the beginning
+ characters framed for crimes
+ characters traveling across Europe for answers
+ characters who know esoteric things
+ a mystery from history to solve
+ secret organizat
I am Bastet
If you liked The Da Vinci Code or National Treasure, you might like this book. It has a lot of the same kind of searching through history to unlock some tantalizing, buried secret. A bit of that journey relies on heavy coincidences (even heavier than in The Da Vinci Code) and a couple of pretty ridiculous paths filled with clues, but once the mystery gets going, it's not a bad one.

Unfortunately, that historical mystery was the only thing I enjoyed about this book. The beginning was long and fail...more
Jason
The half of it set in Prague, where all the ostensible action takes place, kinda sucks. The protagonist loses her positive personality traits and the writing becomes far less clever and witty. The second quarter keeps interest alive by stalling/hinting at what’s to come and the protagonist isn’t on her way to irritating the ish out of me yet. I think what this book shows is that Wasserman can write with great wit about family, friendship, and loss – but not particularly well about romance, intri...more
Jackie "the Librarian"
This wants to be The Da Vinci Code*, full of thrills and chills and teenagers, but it flopped for me.
So, college students in NYC start deciphering old medieval letters, and then violence and a trip to Prague. And creepy hooded guys who know martial arts. (How they can get away with running around unremarked in those monk robes, doing mayhem on anyone getting close to their protected secret thingy, I don't know. You think they'd be less conspicuous in jeans.) And the golem... huh? Because of the...more
Sarah ~Slow reader, or slowly reading? ;)
*This ARC was kindly provided to me from Knopf Books for Young Readers through Netgalley.com*

I couldn't finish this book. Not because it was badly written, quite the contrary, actually. The Book of Blood and Shadow is a very well written, very well thought out book, but it just didn't capture my attention like it was intended to do. There were too many inconsistencies for me to not overlook, and it became problematic for me in the end. Here's a list of the problems I had while reading:

-The writi...more
Ann
When I first read the description of The Book of Blood and Shadow I was very intrigued and knew I had to read it. Although the description gives you an idea I wasn't quite sure what would expect me and oh my, it was so much more than I expected!

I think the official description gives you enough an idea without giving too much away so I'll refrain from summarizing it again for you.

The Book of Blood and Shadow is an immensely thrilling, suspenseful and surprising read with many unexpected twits and...more
Ashelynn
Holy mother, The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman will knock you off your feet; described as The Da Vinci Code for teens, which I think is very accurate, this mystery will keep you guessing—and gasping—up until the very last page. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

You can read my full review at gypsy book reviews.

I received this book for review from the publisher.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
ABSOLUTELY fantastic. Review coming soon (I'm not going to read another book all weekend until I catch up on my reviews)
Juhina
Apr 22, 2014 Juhina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
HOLY CRAP THIS BOOK WAS JUST WOOOAAAHHHH
Twist after twist AFTER twist.. just *mind blown*
Adeeb
There are two types of books: books that start slow and pick up pace and books that throw you straight into the action.

This book is of the first kind.

If you think of it, most great books spend a lot of time building the world. Well, I can assure you that this book is quite worth the slow start.

I read somewhere that The Book of Blood and Shadow is known as YA's Angels and Demons. When I started reading the book, I could definitely see why it is called so. There are many similar elements, but it i...more
Book Giveaways: The Book of Blood and Shadow Giveaway 1 21 Aug 21, 2012 06:44PM
Huntsville-Madiso...: Staff Picks: The Book of Blood and Shadow 1 9 Jul 11, 2012 09:16AM
  • Dust Girl (The American Fairy, #1)
  • Blackwood
  • The Girl in the Park
  • The Vanishing Game
  • The Butterfly Clues
  • Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls
  • Radiant Days
  • Harbinger
  • Long Lankin
  • Dark Eyes (Dark Eyes, #1)
  • Life is But a Dream
  • The Little Woods
  • Zero
  • Team Human
  • The Night She Disappeared
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Wanted
  • The Wicked and the Just
21981
I'm the author of the Cold Awakening Trilogy (Skinned, Crashed, and Wired), Hacking Harvard, the Seven Deadly Sins series, and the forthcoming Book of Blood and Shadow. I'm also a crazed Stephen King fan and David Foster Wallace evangelist with an embarrassing list of Important Books I've Never Read But Can Bluff About Well Enough to Discuss at Cocktail Parties. I'm working on it.
More about Robin Wasserman...
Skinned (Cold Awakening, #1) Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2) Wired (Cold Awakening, #3) Awakening (Chasing Yesterday, #1) Callie For President (Candy Apple #9)

“But things don't just fall apart. People break them.” 25 likes
“You don't even realize you're living in a before until you wake up one day and find yourself in an after.” 19 likes