Another Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

Another Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  950 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Another Monster at the End of this Book was written 25 years after The Monster at the End of this Book, by the original collaborators, as a way to expand upon a modern classic by including Elmo, (who didn't yet exist when the first title was published). The wild and wacky humor of the original increases ten-fold with the addition of Elmo, as he and Grover dare each other t...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Golden Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Another Monster at the End of this Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Monster at the End of this Book

Slither
This is a sequel to "The Monster at the End of This Book", and, sadly, I don't really like it much. It is not bad, per se, but the same joke as the earlier book, done less well.
Danielle
Well, unlike its deeply philosophical predecessor, this one left me wanting. I guess one could make an argument that the ongoing push-and-pull argument between the furry protagonists is representative of the child-like id fighting against the developing superego that will soon supplant it. Or, perhaps, it is a deeper look into the value of sometimes allowing the id to take control because those imagined 'monsters' that the superego sees everywhere never actually existed. Or, well, it might be ab...more
Wendy
Although I love the first "Monster at the End of This Book" book, this sequel really bugs me. Why? Well, in the first book, it's like Grover is interacting with the reader. Grover's too scared of monsters to go to the end of the book, and tries to keep you from turning pages, which of course you do anyway. And when you do, you as a reader (or the child involved in the reading) can feel brave and like a helper to your silly scaredy-cat friend Grover.

In the sequel, however, the interaction shifts...more
Sagan
Kid's Review: "I want the other one again."

Mom's Translation: He liked it, but he likes Grover better than Elmo. We have both in app form on the iPad so he is acquainted with each in their interactive forms.

He was happy to see it's also a book and asked me to read it even though he has it memorized, whereas when he saw I'd gotten The Monster at the End of this Book, in book form he snatched it and read it himself.
Michelle H.
One of the greatest books of our time.
Hayley
Seems like the author was simply trying to capitalize on the success of the first "Monster at the End of this Book," but seeing as it is essentially the same premise, it's much less effective here. No element of surprise, plus the reader's role is minimized by the addition of Elmo's character. Still a cute read, but nowhere near as fun or impacting.
Gretchen
PB 7: I thought this book was great. Elmo is one of my favorite Sesame Street characters and I'm glad he made an appearance in the book. I enjoyed how the text itself expressed emotion. The text got larger when Grover was upset or worried, and smaller or even wiggly when he was scared or pleading with Elmo 'Not to turn the page.' Those kind of readig cues are fantastic for characterization and can really bring emotion to the story. On a second note: can I just say the illustrations are fantastic...more
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I'm not a fan of Elmo - a little cutesy (ala Jar Jar Binks) for my liking.

This is a sequel that never needed to be made. 5 stars for the orignal (The Monster at the End of this Book) to 1 star for this terrible effort.

If it were a stand-alone book is would have got more. The joke is exactly the same as the original - but if it were new to you it'd be funny. The implementation was basically the same - so again pretty good. But really this was a typical merchandising decision to attempt to get the...more
Shannon McGrew
I dislike this book because It's just a remake of "The monster at the end of this book" with Elmo thrown in. In the first one if felt like Grover was talking and interacting with you. In this one? The book doesn't need you, it's got Elmo. Congratulations, Elmo Stole your job readers.

Some little ones and a few big ones will love it just because it has Elmo, and yes he acts in character so I see no reason for them to have anything against this title. And Grover acts the exact same way he did in "T...more
Kim
Some books don't need a sequel. The Monster at the End of This Book, one of THE greatest books of my childhood, is one of those books. Same concept with the addition of Elmo.
Roger Mccoy
Loses points for a general lack of creativity and for Elmo's constant badgering of the reader, but gains some points for using a non-linear storytelling method.
Brittney
I really didn't like this one as much as the first. To me the animation was not as good, Grover didn't try as hard, and Elmo was a little Bossy. "Turn the page," or "Do it."

The Elmo characterization was good, I could hear Elmo saying "Yes Mr. Grover," or "Elmo wants to see the monster." So in that respect it was good. If you have not read this book, I recommend doing so, as well as reading the first.

Here's some links to read them, since they are hard to find:

The Monster At the End of this Book h...more
Amber
This is a really cute book though I think the first book was done better than this one its still a really cute book though its just fantastic for kids .. :)
Stephanie Croaning
While the first one felt original and fun, this one was too similar and I really didn't enjoy it. It added Elmo. That was about it.
Ingrid Jennings
This is such a cute book. Like always with sequels; it's not as good as the original book but it is a good book to put kids to sleep with.
Josiah
I thought that this was a wonderfully creative and worthy sequel to one of the best-loved Little Golden Books that has ever been written, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book".
Playing off of the charm of that first volume while introducing some humorous new twists, the writer-illustrator team of Jon Stone and Michael Smollin has created something very memorable in this book.
The language was noticeably contemporized from the first book, but I really didn't mind that, and my overall view...more
David
A huge disappointment after how amazing the first book is. I wouldn't use this one for storytime.
Brian
Another classic. I used to hate Elmo with a passion...he got all the focus and attention, stealing it away from my favorite monster Grover. The first book was awesome - why did they have to spin another one just to get Elmo in the picture.

Nowadays, I have a daughter who loves Elmo. And I guess he's kinda grown onto me. So now I guess I don't mind this book as much. After all, maybe it'll have the opposite effect: kids who are mainly into Elmo might discover the wonderful greatness of Ole Blue Fu...more
Bisma Kureshy
PB-8
This book was a fun read. It would make a good read aloud for children in kindergarden or even preschool! The way Grover and Elmo try to persuade the reader whether or not to turn the pages on the book are so funny. Elmo was so cute. He ws simply curious to see the monster at the end of the book where as Grover had no intention of finding out what was at the end. Reading this book to kids will also make them want to know who the monster at the end of the book is and they will have fun while...more
Karen
Read it twice in the morning!
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐⭐⭐
Helen Kumpel
This book is for: PreK-1
Reflection: This is a great follow-up book to "A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK". Once again, Grover tries to stop the pages from turning and Elmo keeps finding ways (with the help of the reader) to reach the end of the book. Great book to help children realize how they interact with books, how we use books, and emotions of characters. The illustrations really show their emotions well and the pictures really look like they are trying to stop you from turning the pages!
Lisa
Oct 18, 2007 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents, grandparents, etc
This is the second family favorite in the Reynolds library. Like the one before it, Another Monster At The End of This Book, has been by me (and only me) to my children since they were little. Both of these books are pulled out at the same time to be read.

This book is more fun to me than the first one because I can do the voice of Elmo and that is how it is read. It is very easy to get right into the characters and make it very entertaining to your readers when read out loud.
Rosalie
i got this as a gift for my birthday (i think my 18th) by a good friend of mine. i think i like it because it's fun and has memory linked to it. my buddy who gave it to me has actually aggravated that he couldn't find the version he grew up with. being this was in the 90s and elmo was popular, he was aggravated by his happy red face.

very cute book. saving it for when i have kids.
Elisabeth
Didn't expect it to be as good as the first one (and it wasn't, at all) - but it will give parents who have the orginal memorized (after a bajillion readings) another option. I love PBS and fully support Sesame Street - but does Elmo have to be in everything now? I would like to at least pretend he is more than a marketing ploy. :(
Jean Oram
This book was a pleasant surprise. I'm not one for Sesame Street, but this book was funny. Kids will get a kick out of Grover talking 'to them' and asking them not to turn the page as there is a(nother) monster at the end of the book. Of course, Elmo and the kids turn the page. And guess what? There's a monster!!!
Iqra Masood
This picturebook is really funny saying that there is another monster at the end of this book. Grover, who does not want to see the monster, and Elmo, who is curious to see the monster, make up a good pairing of friends. After a few pages, they both decide to see the monster and get scared by seeing each other.
My father and I used to read The Monster at the End of the Book together all the time when I was a child. I am now grown and he just gave me this book. I read it last night. It was wonderful and brought back lots of memories. Elmo is so cute! I loved adding his voice to the book!
Stacy
Ben loved "The Monster at the End of this Book" so much that when I saw they had another, it just HAD to be the Christmas eve book of 2001 for him. It took him two days and 3-4 readings to be comfortable enough with the text to write his own robot version starring Glados and Wheatly.
Ann
This book is still fun like the last one, but it has Elmo, which lowers my enjoyment, and there's really nothing new here. I read it with my nine-year-old nephew to the other kids, and he didn't have a problem doing the Elmo voice, so that helped me out.
lets talk on my book 1 11 Feb 08, 2008 02:43PM
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Philadelphia Chickens
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • I'm a Big Sister
  • The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
  • Baby Animals (A Little Golden Book)
  • Little Quack's Bedtime
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • My First Counting Book (Little Golden Book)
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au...more
More about Jon Stone...
The Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street) Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Resting Places: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover Christmas Eve on Sesame Street Big Bird in China