Start by marking “Another Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)” as Want to Read:
Another Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

Another Monster at the End of this Book (Sesame Street)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,594 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Another Monster at the End of this Book was written 25 years after The Monster at the End of this Book, by the original collaborators, as a way to expand upon a modern classic by including Elmo, (who didn't yet exist when the first title was published). The wild and wacky humor of the original increases ten-fold with the addition of Elmo, as he and Grover dare each other t ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Golden Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Another Monster at the End of this Book, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Derek
May 13, 2015 Derek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I hate this book?

Is it because it matches the comedy beats of the brilliant original, adding nothing? No.

Is it because it cynically adds that treacly red git Elmo for no purpose? No.

What is it?

Just before the end, Grover and Elmo have this idiotic back-and-forth "no, you!" argument that takes up the entire page spread.

How does it end?

Grover shuts it down with a dismissive "whatever."

What word, in what tone, did my son pick up, catapulting him directly to a world-weary teenagerhood some n
Slither
Jul 20, 2007 Slither rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to "The Monster at the End of This Book", and, sadly, I don't really like it much. It is not bad, per se, but the same joke as the earlier book, done less well.
Danielle
Jun 04, 2014 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, unlike its deeply philosophical predecessor, this one left me wanting. I guess one could make an argument that the ongoing push-and-pull argument between the furry protagonists is representative of the child-like id fighting against the developing superego that will soon supplant it. Or, perhaps, it is a deeper look into the value of sometimes allowing the id to take control because those imagined 'monsters' that the superego sees everywhere never actually existed. Or, well, it might be ab ...more
Noah
May 29, 2016 Noah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendy
Although I love the first "Monster at the End of This Book" book, this sequel really bugs me. Why? Well, in the first book, it's like Grover is interacting with the reader. Grover's too scared of monsters to go to the end of the book, and tries to keep you from turning pages, which of course you do anyway. And when you do, you as a reader (or the child involved in the reading) can feel brave and like a helper to your silly scaredy-cat friend Grover.

In the sequel, however, the interaction shifts
Alicia Rotter
Mar 28, 2015 Alicia Rotter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elmo and Grover are at it again! Grover is afraid of a scary monster at the end of the book and is surprised by who it actually is.

The illustrations for this book are very simple. I find it interesting that Elmo's name is red, because that color suggests caution and danger, which is Elmo continuing to tell the reader to turn the page. Grover's name is in blue which suggests calm and peace, and Grover is more timid and scared of what there is at the end of the book.

My favorite part of the book
Jenni Golisch
Oct 27, 2015 Jenni Golisch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in the picturebook app look almost three-dimensional. This book app is similar to the first app, but I know that many children are drawn to seeing Elmo in this story in addition to Grover. The characters talk with speech bubbles in a variety of fonts. The fonts change depending on emphasis, and MONSTER is capitalized in purple to draw attention to it. Grover and Elmo not only talk to each other, but they also speak to the reader. In order to turn each page and see what happens ...more
Michelle H.
Jan 31, 2008 Michelle H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
One of the greatest books of our time.
Hayley Stone
Seems like the author was simply trying to capitalize on the success of the first "Monster at the End of this Book," but seeing as it is essentially the same premise, it's much less effective here. No element of surprise, plus the reader's role is minimized by the addition of Elmo's character. Still a cute read, but nowhere near as fun or impacting.
Ira Livingston
Dec 25, 2015 Ira Livingston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With nephews and nieces, I'm able to revisit my favorite books when I started reading. And this sequel to one of my favorite books, really captures the essence of the original both in the build up of tension, and the pacing of the book - this time adding Elmo, who is quite the opposite of the frightened Grover.
Gretchen
Sep 25, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB 7: I thought this book was great. Elmo is one of my favorite Sesame Street characters and I'm glad he made an appearance in the book. I enjoyed how the text itself expressed emotion. The text got larger when Grover was upset or worried, and smaller or even wiggly when he was scared or pleading with Elmo 'Not to turn the page.' Those kind of readig cues are fantastic for characterization and can really bring emotion to the story. On a second note: can I just say the illustrations are fantastic ...more
Kathy Jones
Jun 27, 2016 Kathy Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have read The Monster at the End of This Book, you have to read Another Monster at the End of This Book. Purchased it for my day care class. Great book to read out loud and very loud! P.S. At the end of the book, you have to go back two pages.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I'm not a fan of Elmo - a little cutesy (ala Jar Jar Binks) for my liking.

This is a sequel that never needed to be made. 5 stars for the orignal (The Monster at the End of this Book) to 1 star for this terrible effort.

If it were a stand-alone book is would have got more. The joke is exactly the same as the original - but if it were new to you it'd be funny. The implementation was basically the same - so again pretty good. But really this was a typical merchandising decision to attempt to get the
Dmitry
Jun 11, 2015 Dmitry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-comics
Monster at the End of This Book была идеальной книгой: простой и лаконичной, с картинками. вторая часть рассказывает ту же самую историю, два раза. не рекомендую ни после, ни вместо, ни до первой части.
Puretigerlady
Oct 10, 2014 Puretigerlady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite of my family. We read this on over and over. My kids think it's hilarious and enjoy the joke at the end. My Elmo voice isn't as good as my Grover voice, but they don't seem to mind.
Shannon McGrew
Dec 13, 2010 Shannon McGrew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dislike this book because It's just a remake of "The monster at the end of this book" with Elmo thrown in. In the first one if felt like Grover was talking and interacting with you. In this one? The book doesn't need you, it's got Elmo. Congratulations, Elmo Stole your job readers.

Some little ones and a few big ones will love it just because it has Elmo, and yes he acts in character so I see no reason for them to have anything against this title. And Grover acts the exact same way he did in "T
Kim
Jul 16, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
Some books don't need a sequel. The Monster at the End of This Book, one of THE greatest books of my childhood, is one of those books. Same concept with the addition of Elmo.
Roger McCoy
Loses points for a general lack of creativity and for Elmo's constant badgering of the reader, but gains some points for using a non-linear storytelling method.
Brittney
I really didn't like this one as much as the first. To me the animation was not as good, Grover didn't try as hard, and Elmo was a little Bossy. "Turn the page," or "Do it."

The Elmo characterization was good, I could hear Elmo saying "Yes Mr. Grover," or "Elmo wants to see the monster." So in that respect it was good. If you have not read this book, I recommend doing so, as well as reading the first.

Here's some links to read them, since they are hard to find:

The Monster At the End of this Book h
K.C. Hilton
Jan 15, 2015 K.C. Hilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These little books are so adorably cute! If you do the voices, while reading them out loud, they're even better! Children love them =)
Stephanie Croaning
While the first one felt original and fun, this one was too similar and I really didn't enjoy it. It added Elmo. That was about it.
Ingrid Jennings
Apr 23, 2014 Ingrid Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book. Like always with sequels; it's not as good as the original book but it is a good book to put kids to sleep with.
Josiah
Aug 17, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a wonderfully creative and worthy sequel to one of the best-loved Little Golden Books that has ever been written, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book".
Playing off of the charm of that first volume while introducing some humorous new twists, the writer-illustrator team of Jon Stone and Michael Smollin has created something very memorable in this book.
The language was noticeably contemporized from the first book, but I really didn't mind that, and my overall view
David
May 02, 2014 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A huge disappointment after how amazing the first book is. I wouldn't use this one for storytime.
Brian
Feb 11, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Another classic. I used to hate Elmo with a passion...he got all the focus and attention, stealing it away from my favorite monster Grover. The first book was awesome - why did they have to spin another one just to get Elmo in the picture.

Nowadays, I have a daughter who loves Elmo. And I guess he's kinda grown onto me. So now I guess I don't mind this book as much. After all, maybe it'll have the opposite effect: kids who are mainly into Elmo might discover the wonderful greatness of Ole Blue Fu
Jessica Terveer ranslow
My all time favorite as a child and I used it as an adult with clients in therapy.
Emyrose8
Apr 13, 2015 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
Not as good as the first, but still fun to read out loud and share with a friend!
Brenda Lugaresi
Jun 04, 2016 Brenda Lugaresi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute sequel to the first book. Not as amazing but still super fun.
Kinksrock
Cute, but, as with many sequels, it just was not as good as the original.
Sagan
Kid's Review: "I want the other one again."

Mom's Translation: He liked it, but he likes Grover better than Elmo. We have both in app form on the iPad so he is acquainted with each in their interactive forms.

He was happy to see it's also a book and asked me to read it even though he has it memorized, whereas when he saw I'd gotten The Monster at the End of this Book, in book form he snatched it and read it himself.
lets talk on my book 1 11 Feb 08, 2008 02:43PM
  • Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree (Little Golden Books)
  • Elmo Loves You (Sesame Street)
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer)
  • Dog Train: A Wild Ride on the Rock-and-Roll Side [Book and CD]
  • The Christmas Story
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • Mirror Me!: A Mirror Book (Baby Einstein)
  • Maisy's Bedtime
  • Froggy Learns to Swim
  • I Need My Monster
  • Aliens in Underpants Save the World
  • Animals
  • Love Monster
  • Where Do Kisses Come From?
  • The Shy Little Kitten
  • When a Monster Is Born
  • Thomas and the Big Big Bridge (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Bears' Christmas
Stone graduated from Williams College in 1952. He received a master's degree from the Yale University School of Drama in 1955, at which time he joined a CBS training program. Before helping to create Sesame Street, he worked on the popular children's television show Captain Kangaroo for CBS. He also worked on several other Muppet projects before and during his time on Sesame Street, and was the au ...more
More about Jon Stone...