Start by marking “I Wanna Take Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children” as Want to Read:
I Wanna Take Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children

I Wanna Take Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children

Written for parents and teachers, I Wanna Take Me a Picture is an accessible and practical guide to getting children involved in photography. Through a series of lessons-from self-portraiture to representing their dreams-it teaches everything a beginner needs to know: how to compose a picture, set up a darkroom, and develop film.
Published September 17th 2002 by Beacon Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about I Wanna Take Me a Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wanna Take Me a Picture

Ellie
Jun 13, 2011 Ellie rated it really liked it
I'd say that this is more of a memoir than a how-to book for teaching photography to disadvantaged kids. The author is an important name in the history of the participatory photography movement and shares her philosophy & experience in that, along with a very brief description of her teaching process.

Ultimately, the book helps not with methodological insight (for that, see Getty Museum's online publications), but with the feeling that there's nothing too technical or methodologically compli
Jenell
May 28, 2009 Jenell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, education, art
This book is just incredible. The author works with disadvantaged and at-risk children from all over the world. Her photography classes include many technical aspects of photography but all arising from the students' experience. She has them photograph and write about their lives. It reinforces my belief that children have passions and deeper thoughts about the world that often remain secondary to standard curriculum and adult motives. But, by engaging these passions, the child can have a more i ...more
Amber
Jul 11, 2009 Amber rated it it was amazing
Written by the well-respected photography educator, Wendy Ewald, this book is a fascinating look into the power of photography & literacy programs to help children explore and express their identities, values, and dreams while developing their self-esteem, critical thinking skills, and capacity for empathy. Though I couldn't help but miss my Salvadoran photography students while reading this book, I consider it a truly inspiring resource that I will continue to reference.
Linda Dextre
Jun 15, 2012 Linda Dextre rated it it was amazing
Wendy is an inspiration. I've used her methods with yearbook club and in the classroom for poetry projects. Her book was the source of inspiration for a week-long literacy exploration at NCCAT through Duke University's Center for Documentary Studies. She shares a passion for life through the lens of a camera and the magic of expression through printed images. LOVE her and her work.
Anda
May 08, 2009 Anda rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009
I really really found a couple chapters useful and well-written. The lesson plans alone are why this book merits any stars at all. The in-between was a lot of fluff and such.
Stacy
Jul 15, 2013 Stacy rated it liked it
Like the idea of teaching kids how to take pictures and incorporate it with writing. Great way to motivate kids to be creative and learn about photography.
Emily
Oct 23, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing
If you want to truly understand Literacy Through Photography,this is a must read!
Jane
Oct 30, 2008 Jane rated it liked it
Read for LTP at TTP, fall 05. Pairs well with the documentary "Born into Brothels."
Kim
Jul 02, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
The power of art demonstrated.
Daniela Scrima
Dec 14, 2011 Daniela Scrima rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring book.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jim Sullivan
Jim Sullivan rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Amanda H
Amanda H rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2016
Alicia Susana
Alicia Susana marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Jamie Pent
Jamie Pent marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Saidy
Saidy rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Movies Hmos
Movies Hmos marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
L Wollard
L Wollard rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Michael Woodhouse
Michael Woodhouse is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Alejandro
Alejandro marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Si Page
Si Page rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Cora
Cora added it
Apr 01, 2016
LR
LR added it
Jan 11, 2015
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wendy Ewald (born in 1951) is an American photographer and educator.

Wendy Ewald was born in Detroit, Michigan, graduated from Abbot Academy in 1969 and attended Antioch College between 1969–74, as well as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she studied photography with Minor White. She embarked on a career teaching photography to children and young people internationally. In 1969 &
More about Wendy Ewald...