I Wanna Take Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children

I Wanna Take Me a Picture: Teaching Photography and Writing to Children

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Written for parents and teachers, I Wanna Take Me a Picture is an accessible and practical guide to getting children involved in photography. Through a series of lessons-from self-portraiture to representing their dreams-it teaches everything a beginner needs to know: how to compose a picture, set up a darkroom, and develop film.
Published September 17th 2002 by Beacon Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about I Wanna Take Me a Picture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Wanna Take Me a Picture

Ellie
I'd say that this is more of a memoir than a how-to book for teaching photography to disadvantaged kids. The author is an important name in the history of the participatory photography movement and shares her philosophy & experience in that, along with a very brief description of her teaching process.

Ultimately, the book helps not with methodological insight (for that, see Getty Museum's online publications), but with the feeling that there's nothing too technical or methodologically compli...more
Jenell
This book is just incredible. The author works with disadvantaged and at-risk children from all over the world. Her photography classes include many technical aspects of photography but all arising from the students' experience. She has them photograph and write about their lives. It reinforces my belief that children have passions and deeper thoughts about the world that often remain secondary to standard curriculum and adult motives. But, by engaging these passions, the child can have a more i...more
Amber
Written by the well-respected photography educator, Wendy Ewald, this book is a fascinating look into the power of photography & literacy programs to help children explore and express their identities, values, and dreams while developing their self-esteem, critical thinking skills, and capacity for empathy. Though I couldn't help but miss my Salvadoran photography students while reading this book, I consider it a truly inspiring resource that I will continue to reference.
Linda Dextre
Wendy is an inspiration. I've used her methods with yearbook club and in the classroom for poetry projects. Her book was the source of inspiration for a week-long literacy exploration at NCCAT through Duke University's Center for Documentary Studies. She shares a passion for life through the lens of a camera and the magic of expression through printed images. LOVE her and her work.
Anda Manteufel
I really really found a couple chapters useful and well-written. The lesson plans alone are why this book merits any stars at all. The in-between was a lot of fluff and such.
Stacy
Like the idea of teaching kids how to take pictures and incorporate it with writing. Great way to motivate kids to be creative and learn about photography.
Emily
If you want to truly understand Literacy Through Photography,this is a must read!
Jane
Read for LTP at TTP, fall 05. Pairs well with the documentary "Born into Brothels."
Kim
The power of art demonstrated.
Daniela Scrima
Such an inspiring book.
Reading Room
Reading Room marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Elmassam
Elmassam marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2013
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2013
Lidija Ivanek
Lidija Ivanek marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Best Part of Me: Children Talk About their Bodies in Pictures and Words Secret Games: Collaborative Works with Children 1969-1999 Portraits and Dreams I Dreamed I Had a Girl in My Pocket Literacy and Justice Through Photography:: A Classroom Guide