Start by marking “The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook” as Want to Read:
The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook

The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Voodoo Hoodoo" is the unique variety of Creole Voodoo found in New Orleans. "The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook" is a rich compendium of more than 300 authentic Voodoo and Hoodoo recipes, rituals, and spells for love, justice, gambling luck, prosperity, health, and success.

Cultural psychologist and root worker Denise Alvarado, who grew up in New Orleans, draws from a lifetime of
Published November 1st 2011 by Weiser Books (first published March 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa
Aug 09, 2014 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: 72aa0ccd@opayq.com
To see the Ultimate reason of me disliking this book, see the very end of my review.

I've held off on writing a review for this book for a very long time now, but it's time to write my views about it and why I gave it such a low rating.

When I first heard about this book, everyone was giving it such great reviews and praising it as one of the best books on hoodoo written so far. When I was studying witchcraft (and not hoodoo) some years ago, I agreed.

But after studying hoodoo for about 2-3 years,
Denise Alvarado
Jun 19, 2012 Denise Alvarado rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, as the author of the book I am most biased. But I have to say I am very proud of this work as it is the among the very few that have been written about Creole Voodoo as it is experienced in New Orleans.
Meagan
This book has wonderfully informative charts and is a good reference book to have on hand for distinguishing which herbs and oils have different purposes with hoodoo.

However, there's too much of a blend with Europagan things in with traditional hoodoo -- and I know this is because this is blending voodoo and hoodoo, but I felt like this could have maybe been distinguished a little more firmly and there could have been instances where the author depicted the difference.

The major downside to this
Nanci
A very informative book written in an easygoing, clear, and engaging manner.
Pixie Willow
Can't begin to tell you how wonderful this book us, it's a must have book.
René
Interesting, though I only really read the first half and browsed through the 2nd half with all the spells and stuff. I have no idea where Voodoo practitioners got all the obscure ingredients for some of these magic potions and cures, etc. The book begins with a disclaimer and the plea: "The reader is encouraged to cast spells responsibly."
Elaine Oliver
One of two really good books recommended to me by The Village Witch (www.thevillagewitch.co.uk); a lot of information to get through and process, maybe not the most intuitive layout, but full of essential and worthwhile information. As with all books of this nature, you get from them what you need!
Acacia
I love the information in this book. The directions and explanations are simple and easy to follow. Thanks to the author for writing and sharing this information for those who are interested in the craft. A must read for those who are looking to incorporate spirituality and craft.
Katherine
I read this book to get some information for my novel - I wanted the spells in the book to be authentic - and it was so helpful. Very interesting read about the history of Voodoo in New Orleans!
L.R. Pardee
Really interesting collection of spells involving Sara Lee pound cake and pubic hair. Well...not all of them. Anyway, I'm packin' now. Be nice to me!
Mia Beel
Mia Beel marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Ruackel Easton
Ruackel Easton marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Mima Krutska
Mima Krutska marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Kojo
Kojo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Mike Dubo
Mike Dubo marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Arlie
Arlie added it
Jan 27, 2015
Tee Bylo
Tee Bylo marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure
  • Sticks, Stones, Roots & Bones: Hoodoo, Mojo & Conjuring with Herbs
  • Voodoo and Hoodoo: The Craft as Revealed by Traditional Practitioners
  • Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Encyclopedia of Mystics, Saints & Sages: A Guide to Asking for Protection, Wealth, Happiness, and Everything Else!
  • The Living Temple of Witchcraft: The Descent of the Goddess (Temple of Witchcraft, #5; Living Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Gothic Grimoire
  • Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch's Defense Manual (Beyond 101)
  • Mastering Witchcraft: A Practical Guide for Witches, Warlocks & Covens
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • Hekate Her Sacred Fires
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • One Year Manual
  • Druid Magic Handbook: Ritual Magic Rooted in the Living Earth
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
  • Modern Sex Magick: Secrets of Erotic Spirituality
2920983
I am an old style conjure woman who is also an academic and a ritual artist, living up to the description of "Disruptive Innovator" - a term coined by my alama mater who encourages their students to be movers and shakers - to be agents of change - to create a ripple of positive energy from our little corner of the world and watch it spread far and wide. Both my writings and my art tend to provoke ...more
More about Denise Alvarado...
Voodoo Dolls in Magick and Ritual Hoodoo & Conjure Quarterly: A Journal of the Magickal Arts with a Special Focus on New Orleans Voodoo, Hoodoo, Folk Magic and Folklore (Volume 1, Issue 1) The Voodoo Doll Spellbook: A Compendium of Ancient and Contemporary Spells and Rituals A Guide to Serving the Seven African Powers: For the Individual  Voodoo Practitioner Hoodoo and Conjure Quarterly: A Journal of New Orleans Voodoo, Hoodoo, Southern Folk Magic and Folklore (Volume 1, Issue 2)