Start by marking “The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook” as Want to Read:
The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook

The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook

"Voodoo Hoodoo" is the unique variety of Creole Voodoo found in New Orleans. "The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook" is a rich compendium of more than 300 authentic Voodoo and Hoodoo recipes, rituals, and spells for love, justice, gambling luck, prosperity, health, and success.

Cultural psychologist and root worker Denise Alvarado, who grew up in New Orleans, draws from a lifetime of
Published November 1st 2011 by Weiser Books (first published March 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melissa
Mar 20, 2013 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: 72aa0ccd@opayq.com
To see the Ultimate reason of me disliking this book, see the very end of my review.

(edit)
I noticed something interesting today. I recently picked up a copy of Herman Slater's 'Magickal Formulary Spellbook', and I happened to notice that quite a few of the formulas in his book matched those in Denise Alvarado's'The Voodoo Hoodoo Spellbook' to the letter. Many more of the oils contained most of the ingredients listed in The Magickal Formulary Spellbook, but with a few extra ingredients added. Si
Denise Alvarado
Jun 19, 2012 Denise Alvarado rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, as the author of the book I am most biased. But I have to say I am very proud of this work as it is the among the very few that have been written about Creole Voodoo as it is experienced in New Orleans.
Meagan
Nov 17, 2014 Meagan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has wonderfully informative charts and is a good reference book to have on hand for distinguishing which herbs and oils have different purposes with hoodoo.

However, there's too much of a blend with Europagan things in with traditional hoodoo -- and I know this is because this is blending voodoo and hoodoo, but I felt like this could have maybe been distinguished a little more firmly and there could have been instances where the author depicted the difference.

The major downside to this
Rachel McBain
Min
Jun 12, 2015 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a book that offers information about the saints, spirits, and traditional work that is common to New Orleans Voodoo, and Hoodoo work. A quick listing of the major pantheons from the African religion with correspondences for the Seven African Powers, and the various American spirits that are worked in the system. Then the commonly called-upon saints, Catholic and Folk, along with their prayers, and novenas.
The remainder of the book, a good three-quarters left, covers the various materia
Jessica
Oct 12, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meticulously researched by a strong active practitioner who is part of an authentic, organic community.

I shouldn't have to preface my review with that... but the reading I've completed recently suggests I do.

I've read her revised edition which I recommend over the first as the publication quality seems stronger - better and more intuitively organised for quick reference and practical use.

However, Alvarado intertwines her work with the history of New Orleans and a discussion of the impact the A
René
Interesting, though I only really read the first half and browsed through the 2nd half with all the spells and stuff. I have no idea where Voodoo practitioners got all the obscure ingredients for some of these magic potions and cures, etc. The book begins with a disclaimer and the plea: "The reader is encouraged to cast spells responsibly."
Treasure Craft
Oct 25, 2015 Treasure Craft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Jumpstart

Love this book learned a lot from it. I believe it's a good jumpstart book for those interested in vodou. I recommend reading this book to get a bit of foundation. Take what you learn and do more research yourself. This path is a journey and it's up to you to choose how you take it. Blessed be.
Mika
Jan 25, 2016 Mika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book for informational purposes but it contains a lot of how to information if you are looking to practice Voodoo/Hoodoo. Also, it gives great information about what the two are and are not. I look forward to reading more by this Author.
Elaine Oliver
Jan 10, 2013 Elaine Oliver rated it it was amazing
One of two really good books recommended to me by The Village Witch (www.thevillagewitch.co.uk); a lot of information to get through and process, maybe not the most intuitive layout, but full of essential and worthwhile information. As with all books of this nature, you get from them what you need!
Acacia
Nov 19, 2012 Acacia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the information in this book. The directions and explanations are simple and easy to follow. Thanks to the author for writing and sharing this information for those who are interested in the craft. A must read for those who are looking to incorporate spirituality and craft.
Katherine
Nov 30, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this book to get some information for my novel - I wanted the spells in the book to be authentic - and it was so helpful. Very interesting read about the history of Voodoo in New Orleans!
Neri.
Mar 20, 2015 Neri. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've used this book while I was writing my BA thesis. I found a lot of interesting facts about voodoo, its history and its meaning in the modern world.
L.R. Pardee
Mar 29, 2012 L.R. Pardee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting collection of spells involving Sara Lee pound cake and pubic hair. Well...not all of them. Anyway, I'm packin' now. Be nice to me!
Ira
Ira rated it liked it
May 03, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Mikki McCoy
Mikki McCoy rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2012
Christi Davenport
Christi Davenport rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2015
Ashaley Lenora
Ashaley Lenora rated it really liked it
May 02, 2013
Corinne L.
Corinne L. rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Riton Clis
Riton Clis rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Jessica Rose
Jessica Rose rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Kara Barrett
Kara Barrett rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Adelina
Adelina rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2013
Charlotte Gerber
Charlotte Gerber rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Kath
Kath rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Frontporch
Frontporch rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic: A Materia Magica of African-American Conjure
  • Spirit Allies: Meet Your Team from the Other Side
  • Charms, Spells, and Formulas: For the Making and Use of Gris Gris Bags, Herb Candles, Doll Magic, Incenses, Oils, and Powders
  • Sticks, Stones, Roots & Bones: Hoodoo, Mojo & Conjuring with Herbs
  • Gothic Grimoire
  • Your Book Of Shadows: How to Write Your Own Magickal Spells
  • Crone's Book of Magical Words
  • Voodoo and Hoodoo
  • Encyclopedia of Mystics, Saints & Sages: A Guide to Asking for Protection, Wealth, Happiness, and Everything Else!
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • Old World Witchcraft: Ancient Ways for Modern Days
  • Protection & Reversal Magick: A Witch's Defense Manual (Beyond 101)
  • HEKATE: Keys to the Crossroads - A collection of personal essays, invocations, rituals, recipes and artwork from modern Witches, Priestesses and ... Goddess of Witchcraft, Magick and Sorcery.
  • The Master Book of Candle Burning
  • Spells for the Solitary Witch
  • Advanced Witchcraft: Go Deeper, Reach Further, Fly Higher
  • Mastering Witchcraft: A Practical Guide for Witches, Warlocks & Covens
  • Wicca + Living Wicca + The Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews
2920983
Independent scholar, ritual artist and prolific author of Southern folk magic, spiritual traditions and culture. I create art and describe my life experiences as a woman growing up in the Hoodoo capitol of the World, New Orleans, Louisiana. That said, my life experiences are by no means limited to New Orleans as I have been all over the world and currently call Arizona my home.

Please visit my web
More about Denise Alvarado...