Start by marking “Road Work Ahead” as Want to Read:
Road Work Ahead

Road Work Ahead

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When a family sets out on a trip to Grandma's, their journey proves to be more like a visit to a construction site. Sidewalks are being poured, streetlights repaired, roads resurfaced. The noise of jackhammers, whistles, and horns fills the air. Boys and girls alike will love seeing the big machines at work. Anastasia Suen's simple text and Jannie Ho's bright, up-beat pict ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Road Work Ahead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Road Work Ahead

Jane G Meyer
Roads, traffic, signs, ice cream trucks, chickens. This book, with its few words, takes you on a silly journey through a busy town. There's enough color and wackiness that both girls and boys will like paging through this story. I have to admit, the chicken, that you can spot about half way into the story is my favorite...

My son is a beginning reader and this was a fun change from his everyday reading books. Very little text to negotiate...
Mama
Short simple story.
But if you have kids that like trucks and cars, this is a great book.
The illustrations are what drew my boys into the story. They are really well done.
There is a chicken on almost every page, along with some ducks that seem to follow the boy, his dog, and mama to grandma's house.
Different construction vehicles engaged in different "Road Work" along the way.
We really enjoyed it.
Rosa Cline
Even though the illustrations sometimes is overwhelming, they are adorable. This is a very basic, simple story of a little boy going to his Grandma's house for cookies. Along the way the story points out the various things that happen (which by the way if all this happened on my trip to my Mother's I think I would turn around and go back! hehe) Construction workers with jack hammers, ducks crossing the road, pole lights being put up, log trucks, concrete being poured, lanes being closed and fina ...more
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: Even though our child is beyond books of this type, they commented about how cute the dog, or the birds, or the sleeping bunny on every spread. Looking at the pictures and reading all of the other text (road signs, business marquees) kept them turning the page.

Adult Reader Reaction: I would have loved to have had this book when my child was a toddler and preschooler. It is bright, and the illustrations have lots going on, but it isn't ornate or overwhelming. This is a fun
Renee
Summary: On the drive to Grandma's house, a boy and his mother encounter work crews using machinery and tools to perform roadwork.

Nothing really jumps out to me as being a great picture book. But I would still recommend to Toddlers or Preschoolers who like construction trucks. Text is very short with sometimes two short phrases on each page. There is rhyme but it stretched over two pages. There is so much to look at on my busy streets in the illustrations, that the reader and child can miss the
Jessica Crockett
At first, I didn't like this book very much. My son really likes it, so I tried to like it more. I noticed that there is a chicken on several pages that you can try to find. There's also comical illustrations throughout the book. It's more fun to read now since we hunt for the hidden things in the pictures.
Sylvester
3* art
2* story

Just a little confusing for a 2 yr. old maybe. Try again later?
Maura
My son was very excited when he saw this book in our mailbox this week. There are several large construction sites around our area at the moment and he is always excited to see the big trucks. This was a very cute little story and my son greatly enjoyed it. He was very proud to point out the ducks and the chicken throughout the story.
Melanie
A simple story of a boy and his mother traveling to see Grandma who's baking oatmeal cookies for their arrival. Children will enjoy pointing out the different types of road equipment and transportation vehicles. Some will also enjoy finding the "missing chicken" on each page about halfway through the book.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A family is on its way to Grandma’s house in a car. On the way, the family comes through a construction zone. The family slows down and sees all the many ways people are working in the world.

“People working above
trim bushes and trees.
They put up lights
so you can see.”
Ellie Dietzen
A simple book about road construction, but it includes females driving machinery in the pictures. The majority is men, but it is great to see that they do show women doing the same jobs as men. The story is great and explains about road construction to children.
Jan
For boys who love trucks and noise, a rhyming story of a boy riding to Grandma's house. Instead of going "over the river and through the woods," Mom must negotiate streets clogged with many different kinds of road work. Ages 2-6.
Denise
This would make for a great read aloud for toddlers in storytime. There's plenty of construction and equipment for the eyes to behold, but the simple rhyming tale is more about the journey to grandma's and the work they see along the way.
Linda
This is a fun book as a simple read about construction. But mostly we enjoyed looking at the funny illustrations on each page. The boys laughed as we looked for the chicken throughout the book. :)
Anna
Children on a trip to Grandma's house see all kinds of construction work as they travel.

Read as part of Library Story Hour "Construction" theme.

July, 2013 with Bryce and Sean
Mary
Succinct rhyming text brings road construction to life for the youngest readers and listeners. Clear pictures help readers understand the text. Good for a construction storytime.
Stefani
Kids who love trucks will enjoy this boy's construction-filled trip to grandma's house. The story itself is a bit flat, but the uber-cute pictures will be fun to explore.
Danie P.
Easy to read for construction story time. Appropriate for both toddlers and preschoolers less than 10 words on each page. Beautiful, clear illustrations.
Lissa
Kivrin liked the clever illustrations like the cupcake van and missing chicken. She is convinced the oatmeal cookies have chocolate chips not raisins!
Marina
The illustrations were so cute and had a lot of little extras. They rhymes for the stories from one two-page spread to another so the rhythm was sometimes off.
Kim Patton
Good toddler book about road construction. Could be a good beginning reader for kids that are interested in trucks and construction.
Sandy Brehl
If one ride to Grandma's house allowed a child to observe this many people at work, the economy must be thriving.
Deb
Text is brief, but art is complex, so it feels like it's addressing 2 different audiences. I do like each component.
Edward Sullivan
How can there be so much road work and no traffic jams? Colorful story with a good rhythm.
Oct 06, 2011 Laura added it
Shelves: picture-books
Good book for toddler boys who love vehicles and construction.
Katie
Great for toddlers. Double-page spreads. Rhyming that sounds natural.
Mercy
Cars, trucks, road work
Erin
Good for toddler storytimes
Lewis
Lewis added it
May 23, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
  • I'm Big!
  • Little Owl's Night
  • One Foot, Two Feet
  • Where's My T-R-U-C-K?
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • My No No No Day
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Pouch!
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
Anastasia Suen is the author of 215 books for children and adults, a Booklist's Quick Tips for Schools & Libraries columnist, a literacy blogger, a children's literature consultant for several publishers, a former K,1,5, & 6 teacher who visits schools to teach the six traits of writing, and a former Staff Development for Educators, UNT and SMU instructor who works as a freelance editor a ...more
More about Anastasia Suen...
Subway Red Light, Green Light Raise the Roof Window Music Baby Born