Start by marking “Great Village” as Want to Read:
Great Village

Great Village

Retired schoolteacher Flossy O’Reilly feels the whisper of death at her back. It is in her home in Great Village, Nova Scotia where she is surrounded by piles of books. It is beside her as she gazes out over the shore with her lifelong friend Mealie. It walks with her into the village, while details of the distant past return to her with startling clarity. With worsening ...more
Published May 30th 2011 by Cormorant Books Inc (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Great Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Village

A.J.B. Johnston
Jan 24, 2013 A.J.B. Johnston rated it really liked it
If a book can be beautifully quiet, then this is it. There's little action, other than interior, but the author has rendered the characters, place and time thoughtfully and artfully. The book rewards those who take the time to savour the mood and spirit of the story.
Paula Dembeck
Jun 25, 2015 Paula Dembeck rated it it was amazing
Flossie O’Reilly is an eighty-two year old retired school teacher living in Great Village on the edge of Nova Scotia’s Cobequid Bay. She feels that death is fast approaching as she looks back and wonders about her life and all the secrets she has kept. The book begins with a curious flashback when Flossy was just 13 years old. Her older brother Thomas came in from his long day of hard work in the fields, went upstairs to his bed and stayed there for 24 years.

As the story unfolds, we hear the tr
David Hallman
Jul 20, 2011 David Hallman rated it it was amazing
"Great Village" by Mary Rose Donnelly is an exquisite gift of such ruddy delicacy that it has left me breathless.

Donnelly has given me and everyone else whom I can persuade to pick it up, an experience of literary joy.

In this her first novel, she has crafted a story in which, through the internal monologues of a most loveable character, we are privy to astute observations on life, friendship, family, despair, creative genius, and death. Flossy O'Reilly is the aunt we all would loved to have ha
Guylou
Apr 01, 2015 Guylou rated it it was amazing
I am joining a book club in my neighborhood and this is the book they are reading next. I have never heard of Mary Rose Donnelly before, but when I found out that the book is set in Nova Scotia, I was pretty sure would love the story. I went to university in Nova Scotia and it is my favorite province in Canada. The book was wonderful. The characters were exquisite. I laughed out loud with them, I felt their pain and I cried with them. Ms Donnelly writing style is so poetic which made reading ...more
Ruth
Oct 15, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing! I used to work with the author at the head office of the United Church and was thrilled to find her at Word on the Street in Toronto sitting behind the table at the booth of one of my favourite publishers (Marc Cote/Cormorant Books) signing copies of this book. And it won the Atlantic book prize for fiction. How could I not buy one? And it is fantastic. Mary Rose's penetrating gaze into the human heart is just wonderful, with passages that made me marvel at her insight and wishing that ...more
Wendy
Jun 05, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
This book was a gentle somewhat sad look back. I did not feel it was about life in a typical Maritime village-it was about loss, the difficulty of communication with lived ones and hope. Even though the main character is thinking that death is near the arrival of a young person makes her glad to be alive.
I did think the Bishop stuff a little intrusive, unless probably one knew about Bishop.
Debbie
Dec 28, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this story! Beautifully written with intriguing characters. Definitely a page turner. Lots of Canadian content....including the mentioning of my employer Sobeys, many times throughout the book. The ending of this story completely took me by surprise.
Amy
May 02, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
I struggled to get into the book as the story starts out a little slow. However, once the story gets settled in, it picks up and is a nice read with interesting characters.
Lisa
Jan 23, 2013 Lisa added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I had to put this book down for a bit. I like it, but to much descriptive text for me, and not enough dialogue. I will pick it back up, just needed a break.
Emilee
Oct 08, 2014 Emilee rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot and look forward to hearing the author when she is in Woodstock later this month. Loved her descriptions of Maritime weather & landscapes.
Cooke Agency
Cooke Agency rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2011
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2012
Donna Trottier
Donna Trottier rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2014
Irena
Irena rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Debbie
Feb 29, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it
A really nice book. Easy read!
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Jane Gibson
Jane Gibson rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Paul Nickson
Paul Nickson rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2014
Carolyn McNeillie
Carolyn McNeillie rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2012
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Nan
Nan rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Cheri
Cheri rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Martha
Martha rated it it was ok
Mar 21, 2012
Gillian
Gillian rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Sue Gillespie
Sue Gillespie rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013