Start by marking “What the Heart Knows” as Want to Read:
What the Heart Knows

What the Heart Knows

4.76 of 5 stars 4.76  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  15 reviews
After a night of celebrating with friends, Emily Warren is attacked by a colleague. Sheas fortunate to escape his rape attempt but now suffers from terrifying nightmares. Emily accepts an invitation from a friend and makes the trip out to Billas farm, knowing she will have to be careful about what she confides in him. Emily wants to try to hide the fact she has been attack...more
Published December 15th 2008 by America Star Books

To ask other readers questions about What the Heart Knows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Heart Knows

Nancy Silk
"Surprise! This Thriller Will Stun You"

In this short, suspenseful thriller, Doris Langford and husband, Gerald, have finished their grocery shopping. Gerald doesn't like to shop, and is always in a hurry to get back to the car. Enroute, a man, dressed in dirty clothes, approaches them asking for help. He needs a few dollars as his car has run out of gas and he needs to get home to take care of his sick wife. Gerald says, "Sorry." He's not one to succumb to those who constantly look for handouts...more
Julie Powell
I didn't know what to expect with this short story - it was brilliant. I will not give spoilers, but everyone should read it! Keep them coming, please.
Ghostleegirl
I have to say that Ms Puckett always succeeds in pumping up the creep factor. The story moves along a good pace, and it seems to be going in a direction that you would expect this type of tale to go... Oh, wait a minute...

This story is not at all what one might expect, and when you read this one, be very, very careful about any assumptions you may have about where it's going. It's one of those stories that hit's you out of left field, and is so well written that the reader follows blindly down t...more
Jeff Dawson
Shocked!

Let me tell you what? This is not what you are expecting. It took about fifteen minutes to read and I'm still in shock! We all have seen the homeless person holding the signs, "Will work for Food" and cringe at the thought of them getting into our car. Do they have a record? Will they behave? Can I trust them? But what about the people who offer to let them "work for food"?

This story is right up their with the Twilight Zone Episode, "How to serve man."
Roy Station
Seeing the homeless and starving causes a great deal of anxiety to an elderly couple who are not able to help everyone. However, sometimes they can not just walk away and insist on helping out. In this short story they take a starving man and his son under their charitable wing, the very surprising outcome is most fullilling.
Magda
In my opinion this is the most scary & disturbing short story Regina Puckett has written so far. Everything & everyone seems to be so ordinary, there are regular everyday problems, nothing unusual. However under the surface, life isn't what it appears to be.
Don't read this story before you go to sleep.
J.S.
Will Work for Food is a short story from the horror genre. It has a great plot twist at the end which made me a bit queasy, but then I do not usually read horror.

There were a few editing errors and formatting issues, but overall it was a fast and enjoyable read. Recommended.
Charity Parkerson
"Will Work for Food" is a very creepy short story about a couple who takes home a beggar holding a sign that says...."Will work for food" What happens from there will make you thing twice about talking to strangers.
Berrynana
Definitely not what I was expecting!
Cataline
Doris only wants to help the needy, but understands her husband’s no nonsense opinions of the world. One day Doris finally gets her wish when Gerald decides to let a street stander and his son work in their yard for food. How in the world could anything ever go wrong with such a good idea?

’I know you’re right, but it’s so hard telling people you can’t help them.’ Gerald didn’t have anything to say to that but just shook his head…”

If you’re looking for a homespun touch of a weird tale with a sid...more
Rechan
While I appreciate the effort of this story, I feel it didn't work.

Beyond the knowledge that "something is going to happen" because it's tagged as a horror story, there was little reason for me to keep reading; the story is dull. Very little indication that anything untoward is going on, no build-up of any creep factor. It's just 'story of people helping other people, more of the same, more of the same... BAM TWIST ENDING."

And while yes, there is in fact a twist ending I didn't see coming, when...more
J.T. Therrien
Will Work for Food was the first of Ms. Puckett's stories that I read, so I was unprepared for her stylish way of ending a tale. Since then I've read more of her works and I've found her to be a most accomplished author.

I think I can safely say, without giving anything away, that Will Work for Food is well-written and imaginative. Ms Puckett is a versatile author with a great gift for plotting and storytelling. I look forward to being entertained with many more of her tales.

If you're looking for...more
Edenmary Black
WILL WORK FOR FOOD is short but very satisfying, as a surprisingly scary encounter between two families. One family is good. The other…well, not so much. Puckett uses common, everyday environments and dialogue to skillfully allow readers to draw certain conclusions of their own design. Identifying with the characters is easy. You may think you know people eerily like them, before the author gives the rug beneath your feet a devilish twist. Enjoy this one with a frosty glass of sweet tea. Just do...more
Gregory Carrico
This is a thoroughly enjoyable short story. Ms. Puckett crafts characters that are so real, they could be our next door neighbors (there's a scary thought!). I was engrossed right away, and was delighted to discover that my assumptions about the plot were all wrong! Will Work For Food is a smart, charming, and creepy story. Thanks for the fun read!
Paula Hill
Makes you think!!!,love these stories!!!
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Betty Tucker
Betty Tucker marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Nightmarelove
Nightmarelove marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Alana
Alana added it
Aug 06, 2014
Kim Rox
Kim Rox marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Lawrence Latham
Lawrence Latham marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Jamie Adams
Jamie Adams marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Deborah Mitton
Deborah Mitton marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Regina lives in Tennessee. She has been a writer for as long as she can remember. The only way she knows to shut the voices up is to tell their stories and to let them live among the pages of her books.

She loves writing in many different genres because life is too short to be stuck in a rut.
More about Regina Puckett...
Mine Crying through Plastic Eyes The Beauty in the Beast Regina Puckett's Short Tales of Horror If Love was Enough