Spellbound

Spellbound (Spellwright #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  796 ratings  ·  88 reviews
The exciting sequel to the acclaimed epic fantasy debut "Spellwright"

Francesca DeVega is a healer in the city of Avel, composing magical sentences that close wounds and disspell curses. But when a newly dead patient sits up and tells her that she must flee the infirmary or face a fate worse than death, Francesca finds herself in the middle of a game she doesn't understand-...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Voyager

Jonathan
Well what can I say.

Normally I'm reluctant to go the full five stars with a book (well, not that reluctant but I rarely give entire series all fives unless I absolutely love them). However when I finished this brilliant follow up to Spellwright I had to award another five stars.

Blake Charlton may not be receiving the accolades of Pat Rothfuss but I would encourage every true fantasy lover to engage in this series and read it. Both are equally deserving up and comers in the genre from what I've r...more
Tyson
This book is so much fun. It starts with the rush of action and exhilaration with which most fantasy stories end. We've all read enough of them to know the formula - slow pace methodically building up to the fantastic finish, the finish the author wrote the book to get to, the beginning and middle just being that annoying necessity. Mr. (Dr.?) Charlton kicks that standard template in the ass and provides a 400 page rush. I enjoyed every second of it.

The story picks up 10 years after Spellwright...more
Ranting Dragon

Set ten years after the events in Spellwright, Nicodemus has left the Heaven Tree Valley and is now in the city of Avel, still pursuing the demon Typhon in an attempt to recover the Emerald of Aarahest, which contains the other part of his soul and the cure to his cacography. With it, he will be able to become the Halycon—a prophesied savior of magical language—instead of what he is now, the Storm Petrel—a prophesied destroyer of magical language. He’s det...more
Bastard

Spellbound is right up there with my most entertaining novels so far this year. Blake Charlton puts the pedal to the metal from the get go, and doesn't let off until the last word is written. The book really has a bit of everything, interesting magic system, cool and fun characters, great action, some comedy, drama, romance, tragedy, horror, good dialogue and banter, etc. It's simply a fun and entertaining read from the get go, and I'm sure few will be di...more
Spellbound is an improvement over Spellwright. It’s got the same fun feel, and the same loveable characters, but there’s a level of maturity, depth and growth in Spellbound that really makes it fly high. Charlton has made his mark. I am excited to see where he can take us next.

Read my full review here:

Kai Mundwiler
I've been lax on writing this review. I don't know if it's because I wanted to take time to let the book settle before I talked about it or if I was just lazy. (probably a bit of both)

The book was good. On many different levels, good. It was immediately visible that Charlton had taken his game to the next level and it helped the story out from beginning to end. Charlton's profession as a medical doctor also contributed positively to the story, giving a fantastical story a real life anchor that p...more
Mieneke
Blake Charlton's debut novel Spellwright (review) made my top five books read in 2010 list last year, so me buying Spellbound was a given. Unfortunately I had to wait until I got to go Sinterklaas shopping to get it, so I didn't get to read it immediately on publication, to my great chagrin. But, I made up for that by reading it in two sittings and wow, was it great to return to the world Charlton has created! Spellbound is set ten years after the events of Spellwright and as such, life in the S...more
Candice Trebus
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
*4.5 stars*

first 100 pages, i wasn't sure about this one. technical -- and rather geeky -- descriptions of exactly how the wind magic works had me wondering if #2 was not going to live up to the spectacular promise of #1,
but by 200 pages, the humor and the plot had both caught hold and sailed aloft. (sorry, couldn't resist.) seriously, though, there were entire passages of dialogue that had me clutching my sides and snorting. if i had the time to transcribe a bunch more favorite quotes from this...more
Vivienne
It took me three months to the day to read this book. Do not take that as an indicator of the quality, but rather as an indicator of the agonies of my job. I finished the book at just before 3AM, sitting on my kitchen floor. That should be an indicator.

Spellbound is definitely a level up from Spellwright. Everything Spellwright did well--fun characters, unique plot, witty humor--Spellbound does better.

At times, I got confused by the politics, but that's pretty standard for me.

At times, the wit g...more
Andrew Liptak
A disclaimer: a copy of this book was provided by Blake, who had consulted me at one point about the military elements of the story.

Blake Charlton’s second novel has remained one of my more anticipated books of the year, ever since I set aside his first, Spellwright. Set ten years after the events of his first novel, Spellbound picks up the action and world nicely, proving to be an entertaining and enthralling read, while avoiding the pitfalls of the dreaded sophomore slump.

When we last left Nic...more
Eduardo
SPOILER WARNING:
I've tried to keep spoilers out of this blurb, but it turned out to be a bit more difficult than I thought. So, in case you haven't read Spellbound yet, I would encourage you not to read my ranting ;-p

I finally finished reading Spellbound! I loved it! I hope this doesn't come across either rude or fanboy-ish, but I was truly surprised :)
The beginning had me all kinds of confused and uncertain, but once THOSE two met, it completely and utterly got me hooked. I don't claim any vast...more
Leo Elijah Cristea
Blake Charlton’s Spellbound featured in my recent “Best of 2011” post, however, I’d not yet finished the book, and had I written that list when I had, it may well have been awarded a higher ranking than it was.

Spellbound returns to the cast of Spellwright—ten years after the events that took place. The cast from the first book return—Nicodemus Weal, Deidre, Magister Shannon—and continue their plight to prevent the Disjunction, whilst keeping Nicodemus safe, now exiled from Starhaven and his stud...more
Jo

Spellbound, the second in an epic fantasy trilogy, is far better and more fascinating than Spellwright (the first book). I couldn't put it down. Thankfully, I had long layovers and a delay (I’ve never been thankful for a delay before, which gives you an idea of how much I loved this book) and I read all in one day!

It is one of the best fantasy books I've read the past two years. Charlton has improved as a writer and that blessing is evident throughout this book. His world building is better and...more
Nori
(I imagine I'm at least partially conflating my fondness for this book with my fondness for its author, but a little star inflation never hurt anyone.)

I read Blake's first book because he's a friend, an was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it on its own merits. The sequel is even better: he's clearly grown as a writer during the interval, which made this one even more legitimately pleasurable to read than the first. He's grown as a student of medicine, too -- his choice of a physicia...more
Diana Thayer
I really enjoyed this, and thought that it was better than Spellwright (though I enjoyed that novel too.) I appreciated the numerous medical interpolations - they're clinically very interesting - and Words and ideas associated with communication, writing, linguistics and text are treated very uniquely and with both a medical and compassionate feel (from individual experience, it seems.) I also enjoyed the puns!

In some respects I thought that the interaction and character/relationship development...more
Jean Tatro
As a sequel should, Spellbound ramps up the story from Spellwright, and smooth over many of its faults. I still find the foreshadowing and pacing weak at times, though much improved. We get to see more of the rich and intriguing world and magic system, and the word play is top notch. I really liked the characters, though I wish there had been more from Nicodemus's point of view. Though it felt predictable, I really enjoyed how the ending played out as well.

The book is surprisingly stand alone, t...more
Aimee
I had been eagerly awaiting this book, after reading the first in the series 'Spellwright' last year, and I am definitely not disappointed.
When I first started it, I was initially dubious about whether it was going to be as good as the first one, as I struggled to get into the story as quickly as I had first time around. This may have partially been my own impatience with wanting to know what had happened since the end of the last book, coupled with the jump forward in time which I had not been...more
Whitfield
DISCLAIMER: Blake is awesome, and I hope he's wildly successful with this trilogy.

As for the book...
I really liked his first book, Spellwright, and re-read it in preparation for this one. It was totally worth it!

This book was so enjoyable, I found myself sleep deprived at the end of last week because for several nights in a row, when I picked the story up before going to bed, I couldn't put it down.

The main characters drew me in. The magic is fantastical in a refreshing and unique way (as far as...more
Tucker
Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Blake Charlton.
So .. I lied. I'm giving this 5 stars not 4. It sounds sort of corny, but I really enjoyed the romance in this book. The story and the dialogue was captivating similar to the knightly romances so well liked by Nico. The book occurs ten years after the first, so there are new characters and even the old characters have developed. I hope Blake keeps writing, whether in this world or the next.
Suzanne Johnson
Every once in a while I find a fantasy world so different it blows me away, and Blake Charlton’s world of magic where spells are woven with words and (be still my beating geek heart) grammatical devices is one of them. Don’t let the old-fashioned dungeons-and-dragonslike cover fool you. This one’s sharp and hip and not to be missed.

My full review will post at http://suzanne-johnson.blogspot.com on Friday, Oct. 28.
Sue
This exciting sequel to Spellwright is even better than the original. It continues the story of Nicodemus Weal, who can undo magic by "mis-spelling" spells, with his adventures in a new city. It introduces a new heroine, Francesca, who heals with magic. Add a demon, airships, and even a "dragon" to the mix. The result is a book that I could not put down.
Richard
A very solid second novel. Charlton communicates emotion well, has characters you can empathize with, and has an excellent magic system in place. The only area I felt could use a little more attention was in the communication of some of the plot points.

Overall, I enjoyed Spellbound, and I am looking forward to reading his next few books.
Miquel Codony
A part de A Dance With Dragons, que és l'únic jugador a la seva lliga, Spellbound ha estat el millor llibre de fantasia (no cifi) que he llegit aquest any, que no és dir poc. També ha estat una sorpresa perquè Spellwright, la primera part, no em va entusiasmar especialment. La progressió és espectacular.
Ividia
I enjoyed Spellbound even more than Spellwright and am looking forward to the next installment. I have already recommended the series to friends. The growth of Francesca was fascinating and completely unexpected. Thank you, Blake, for a marvelous new world.
Ashley
The short version is that giving this book to a fantasy reader that's also an English teacher - and a certified nerd - is like turning me loose in a bookstore with free money.

A magic system based on the power of words?

Yes, you need this.
Joseph Anonymous
Awesome. I really like the in-depth descriptions of how the magic works. I want a third book... if only to see a little bit more of the world they live in.
Jamie
Highly recommended, I'm just disappointed the final book of the trilogy isn't out yet. I love the story, although at times I found myself quite exasperated at how on earth the main characters could possibly choose for the best and quite overwhelmed by the complexity of the story. I'm not sure the characters were as strong as the first book. I certainly felt this book was more about the overarching story about saving the world and the politics surrounding this, although there are one or two in de...more
Siladitya Chowdhury
Awesome sequel. The book fares much better than its prequel which was not bad either.Deirdre's fate could have been better though
Alesia
A very solid follow up to his debut book Spellwright. Looking forward to the final installment in the trilogy.
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • A Guile of Dragons (A Tournament of Shadows, #1)
  • The King of the Crags (The Memory of Flames, #2)
  • Ashes of a Black Frost (Iron Elves, #3)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The Unremembered (The Vault of Heaven, #1)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Shattered Vine (Vineart War #3)
  • Scholar (Imager Portfolio, #4)
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • Seasons of War (Long Price Quartet, #3-4)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • The Path of Anger: The Book and The Sword 1 (Le Livre et l'épée, #1)
  • The Maelstrom (The Tapestry, #4)
1916427
Blake Charlton overcame severe dyslexia at 13 years old when he began sneaking fantasy and science fiction books into special ed study hall. Somehow this inspired Blake to become a novelist and a physician, but he's feeling much better now. Thanks for asking.

Recently Blake graduated from the Stanford University School of Medicine and published SPELLWRIGHT and SPELLBOUND, the first two books in th...more
More about Blake Charlton...
Spellwright (Spellwright, #1) Spellbreaker (Spellwright, #3) Unfettered Seeds of Change

“[Francesca] 'You really are a few biscuits short of breakfast.'
His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
'You're a few colors shy of a rainbow?' she offered. 'Not pulling a full wagon? Knitting with only one needle? All foam and no beer? Your cheese slid off the cracker? You couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel?'
[Nicodemus] 'All right. I get it.”
10 likes
“[Nicodemus] 'Magistra DeVega, can I ask for your help?'

[DeVega] 'You can ask,' she said with her usual calmness, 'but the clerics haven't developed a cure for death by idiotic leadership.”
4 likes