Start by marking “Firestorm, the Nuclear Man” as Want to Read:
Firestorm, the Nuclear Man

Firestorm, the Nuclear Man (Firestorm)

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The original, 1970s tales that introduced Firestorm, one of the key heroes of BRIGHTEST DAY, are collected for the first time.Originally introduced in 1978, Firestorm is the heroic identity of high school student Ronnie Raymond. After Raymond is nearly tricked into blowing up a nuclear reactor, he encounters Professor Martin Stein, and together, they are caught in a nuclea ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by DC Comics (first published January 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Firestorm, the Nuclear Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firestorm, the Nuclear Man

Fizzgig76
Reprints Firestorm #1-5, Cancelled Comics Cavalcade #1, and Flash (1) #289-293 (March 1978-January 1981). Ronnie Raymond is out to impress Doreen Day when he accidentally joins forces with a terrorist group out to stop a nuclear experiment by Professor Martin Stein. When the experiment goes horribly wrong, Professor Stein and Ronnie find themselves transformed into the superhuman being known as Firestorm: The Nuclear Man!

Written by Gerry Conway with art by both Allen Milgrom and George Perez, Fi
Shane
I'm really glad that this collection is available. Firestorm was one of my favorite heroes as a kid. That being said, this isn't really the series that got me interested back in the 80's. This is a collection of the five issue original series along with a black and white release of the never published 6th issue and then the beginning of the back stories that were part of the Flash comic book for a while.
The biggest problem with this comic is the absolutely atrocious writing. The writer, Gerry Co
Timothy Villa
I grew up reading Gerry Conway, but I'd never read these. I read some of V2 by Conway, and they weren't bad. These however are abysmal four issues in. It's interesting to see the weak origins of Multiplex, the first Killer Frost, and The Hyena. Simplistic to a fault. Multiplex pretty much gets his powers, complains of pain, and two pages later suddenly has a name and a costume. The Al Milgrom art saves it from a complete waste of time though.

EDIT: And I am done. The art is all that is good in th
Cia
Bought for PhD research- specifically for the issue concerning Killer Frost. (Very useful for that!)
Not overly fond of the 70's writing style of putting overly wordy captions over the images, and the colouring makes me feel like I've popped E or something...but it's not the worst thing I've ever read, I guess. I suppose coming at this with a specific purpose will have made my reading experience differ somewhat to those wanting to read about Firestorm and the early adventures of the character.
Nicolas
I've had a Firestorm action figure since 1987, but other than that we've had no interaction. This collection was surprisingly entertaining. It contains the original six issue run (including the issue that only ran in Cancelled Comics Cavalcade) as well as the back up stories in Flash comics. It's a pretty good overview of the character, but it clearly didn't have time to fully develop. It left some hanging storylines including Ronald's dad, the principal and the P.I. It also includes team-ups wi ...more
Paul French
A favorite character of mine as a kid, this collection was a great nostalgic read for me. I had forgotten how many of the plotlines that turned up in Fury of Firestorm had started here. This includes the original 5 issue series, that was cut short by the DC Implosion, plus the 6th issue story that was only ever printed in the hard to find Cancelled Comics Cavalcade. The collection is rounded out by the 8 page backups that were originally printed in The Flash. Hopefully this sells well, and they ...more
Joseph Rice
This collection shows why Gerry Conway was one of the worst comics writers at DC in the 1970s. Hackneyed plots, just plain bad writing, and unbelievable situations (even for comics), i'll give him credit for creating a great character, but that's about it. The art is pretty good for it's day, too.
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Robert Wright
Robert Wright marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Tim Mallette
Tim Mallette marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Amy Ratcliffe
Amy Ratcliffe marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Matthew Groves
Matthew Groves marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Karolina (Flaku)
Karolina (Flaku) marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Nov 09, 2014
Jake Last
Jake Last marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
John Lee Murray
John Lee Murray is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014

Firestorm (4 books)
  • Firestorm, the Nuclear Man: Reborn
  • The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men, Vol. 1: God Particle
  • The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men, Vol. 2: The Firestorm Protocols
The Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 6 Essential Amazing Spider-Man, Vol. 7 Essential Punisher, Vol. 1 Essential Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man, Vol. 1