Start by marking “Texas Death Row” as Want to Read:
Texas Death Row

Texas Death Row

A chilling catalog of the men and women who have paid the ultimate price for their crimes The death penalty is one of the most hotly contested and longest-standing issues in American politics, and no place is more symbolic of that debate than Texas. Since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1977, Texas has put more than 390 prisoners to death, far more than any other ...more
Published January 29th 2008 by Plume Books (first published January 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Texas Death Row, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Death Row

Kent
Mar 29, 2008 Kent rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Criminal Justice majors or those who study Inmates or the Penal System
Very interesting read covering the crimes committed, last words, meals and I find it very interesting how many of these career criminals actually find, or profess to have found, God in their last days. I'm very certain that when it would come time for me to make the long walk, I'd be finding peace in God as well.
LBJ
Apr 09, 2008 LBJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am fascinated by this book. The way it is presented, with unembellished stats, makes it creepier and cooler. There isn't any commentary or judgement. Just what they did, when they were executed, and what they ate.
Kirsty
Feb 17, 2009 Kirsty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really interesting and even my boyfriend who isnt a major book reader enjoyed it, however my boyfriend said that reading the list of last meals made him hungry
Lizzie
Apr 03, 2012 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
catalogue of last words and last meals. best bathroom reader of all time.
Myund
May 07, 2013 Myund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this a while ago, being fascinated with Law and the American Justice System as well as having a morbid curiosity, I picked this up in Smiths.

It was extremely interesting, thought I was no doubt disgusted at many of the stories. I was surprised at some of the stories and some really blew me away in absolute horror at what human beings are capable of.

I wouldn't read it whilst walking alone in the dark, bad bad move, I was bad enough in broad day light in my back yard. Word of warning fo
Kiran
Jul 23, 2011 Kiran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was pretty disturbing even just having it sat on my coffee table unnerved me! I tried dipping into it, had to stop and then would try again - mainly out of sheer morbid fascination, which is the real reason most people would read this I'm sure. The book was lent to me by someone, and needless to say I very quickly gave it back!
Catherine
WOW what a weird book. It's weird what it's about, it's weird that someone wrote a book on the subject and it's weird that I read it.

I found the lists of last requests to be very very sad. They scream about lives of no eduction, deprivation, discrimination, protest and courage.

That the jails would restrict what can be asked for but not the quantities seems petty and mean.
Erin Brice
I found this quite fascinating, but at times frustratingly short on details. It was quite tedious & lengthy at times, so perhaps more detail wasn't really practical....but it would've been handy to know who an inmate was referring to in their last statements and such.
Charles
Sep 18, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book is a great time waster with a ton of information. The 1page summaries give you all the needed information. I found some of the last meals very interesting
Lisa Bennett
Aug 02, 2011 Lisa Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Fascinating book. It's shocking some of these crimes, and I can't help but think that many of these people are actually innocent. Good read though, and really easy to read too.
Alexander
Alexander rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2011
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Cara Ellison
Cara Ellison rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2014
Sep 10, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Shandi
Shandi rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Zowie
Zowie rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2009
Amanda Rice
Amanda Rice rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2010
Delene H. Allen
Delene H. Allen rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Elisabet Sanchez
Elisabet Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Graham East
Graham East rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2013
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Mariam Kn
Mariam Kn rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Poppy
Poppy rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013