Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite Series, Book 2)

Locked Doors (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite Series #2)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,032 ratings  ·  94 reviews
Seven years ago, suspense novelist Andrew Thomas's life was shattered when he was framed for a series of murders. The killer's victims were unearthed on Andrew's lakefront property, and since he was wanted by the FBI, Andrew had no choice but to flee and to create a new identity.
Andrew does just that in a cabin tucked away in the remote wilderness near Haines Junction, Yu
Published July 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Locked Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Locked Doors

Kasia S.
The 2nd installment of the Andrew Thomas series was a serious kick in the pants. The moment you think that everything is okay you get double the punishment in the best way possible. This was such a great read, truly a heck of a ride! I’ve been a Crouch fan for a while now, read a bunch of his works, his single books and his series with J A Konrath and the stuff he wrote with his brother, it’s hard to stay away from this literary titan, the man is genius and delivers beyond what you’d expect and...more
Jack Haringa
Well, the good news is that Blake Crouch's second novel, Locked Doors is a fast read. And it doesn't rely on one of the most aggravating, cliched, lazy devices of the thriller genre which marred his first novel, Desert Places, the repressed memory.

But the fact is that this book, a sequel to first, still has plenty of cliches, predictability, and "idiot plot" moments. And on top of all that, the book reads like a barely fleshed-out screenplay in a whole lot of places. Crouch isn't a terrible writ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Andrew Thomas is a suspense novelist. Seven years ago his life was shattered when he was framed for a series of murders. The killer buried his victims on Andrews lake front property, now wanted by the FBI.Andrew fled and created a new identity.He lives in a cabin tucked away in the remote wilderness of Haines Juntion, Yukon.His only link to society is through e-mail which is how he learns that all the people he ever loved are being stalked and murdered. Culminating in the outer banks of North Ca...more
Jackie
Crouch did it again! Another electrifying tale.

This one started out slightly slower but picked up quickly. When I got to a certain point, I couldn't put it down til I finished. Yes, another all nighter. I love when a book is that suspenseful and thrilling.

Horrors and thrillers are a genre that I think do best in stand alone stories. Crouch has me taking a different view on the subject now. Locked Doors was every bit as raw, shocking and terrifying as Desert Places. And I'm hoping for a #3.

Crou...more
Dystopian
Spoilers in second paragraph.

This author needs an editor who will make him kill his darlings. The darling in question is his strange habit of combining adjectives into one word. For example, it's not a "dark navy sea" it's a "navydark sea." He did it over a hundred times, and it drove me crazy every time. Hard to enjoy a book when there is something like that happening every few pages that makes you feel like you hit a lump of tinfoil in your nice roast beef sandwich every time it happens.

SPOILE...more
Josh
LOCKED DOORS is the sequel to DESERT PLACES and features as a pivotal early piece in the ‘serial universe’ alongside other titles by Crouch and Konrath. Central character, Andrew Z. Thomas returns, the accused novelist now living in hiding is thrust into the dangerous world of serial killers once more when he learns of the re-emergence of Lucifer, a deranged and emotionally detracted killer.

LOCKED DOORS doesn’t have the same polished feel as DESERT PLACES with the second instalment in the Andrew...more
Jacqueline
Locked Doors was like reading a book by a different author. It was ten times better than Desert Places. BC delivered a stunning suspenseful novel filled with murder and terror.
Picking up seven years after the previous novel, Andrew Thomas, worlds unluckiest human being is drifting through his meager existence until a blast from the past comes roaring back with a vengeance. What follows is a whirlwind race against time to save himself and those he loved and never forgot. The writing was consider...more
Lee
The second visit with Andrew Thomas, doesn't feel like if you missed a gear from third to fourth...this damn thing is leaving rubber from the starting line. This is one scary thriller, with that psycho without a conscious named Luther Kite, seeking revenge. There are some gut-wrenching moments and with a couple of glances to see if my doors were locked....this was a hell of a ride.
Glen Krisch
Brutal stuff, by still somehow lyrical. The plotting can make you question the characters, but not enough to sidetrack the propulsive action.
Pheare Alexander
Lock Doors journeys seven years after the events of Desert Places. Andrew Thomas having been accused of several murders has lost the identity he forged for himself. His reputation is left marred and anyone that can read is left with an image of successful thriller novelist turned rogue serial killer. After several years we find Andrew in his new existence as Vincent Carmichael living in the remote wilderness located just outside of Haines Junction, Yukon. To reconcile his inner demons he begins...more
Rose
After the hell that Andrew Thomas went through in Desert Places, I was pleased to see him living in quiet contentment in the Yukon. A little cabin in the middle of nowhere to sort yourself out is just what the doctor ordered...not to mention a good place to hide out since his brother conveniently planted evidence making it look like he murdered all those people. Unfortunately for Andrew he still cares for people and when he reads in the newspaper that horrible things have happened to people he k...more
Darcy
I found this book much better than the previous one. Andrew this time around is dealing with the fallout of what his brother did to him. He used to be famous for writing thrillers, now he is infamous for being the serial killers who worked out things in his books. Quietly living in Canada in the middle of no where, he is happy to be a cook during the tourist season and continue writing in the winter, where he finally puts to words what happened to him that fateful summer with his brother that fo...more
Casey Ols
Recently I went to the local book store and wondered through the Fiction section. Closing my eyes I reached for a book and my hand fell a pond Locked Doors. I had never heard of Blake Crouch yet I was quit eager to get home and start reading; after looking over the summary.

How disappointed I was. The story really sounded interesting and I believe it could have been if it was well written. For me if felt like characters and scenes were changing to fast and I often had to look back to mentally or...more
Kristy
This book stars seven years after Desert Places; Andrew Thomas thinks he has successfully disappeared and started a new life elsewhere. But Luther Kite, the serial killer his brother trained, has survived and now begins killing people that Andrew was once close to. I didn't find this one quite as riveting as book 1, but it was still very good. I also loved the ending... and then the author's note afterwards that said "What's up with that ending??" haha. ;) I also really liked the character of Vi...more
Dave Pope
I preferred this to Desert Places - where I found Desert Places to be a thriller without much of a horror element this one was more up my alley - Luther Kite and his parents are deranged in a kind of Texas Chainsaw Massacre way whereas Orson (the main loony in the previous novel was twisted but kind of dime a dozen). Loved this and have book 3 in the series lined up and ready.
Shelley
Part two of the series. SO magnetic. I could not stop reading it and carried my phone with me everywhere so I could read just a little more. Read while I waited on dinner to come to the table last night. Read in the tub. Read while I was supposed to be helping the kids with homework. Conversation went like this "Mom? Mom? Is this right?" then me.... "hmmmmm? Yes, looks good. Three or four." "Mom? The question was about which color represents the chromosomes."

I did not want it to end but at the s...more
LJ
(A) DESERT PLACES / (B) LOCKED DOORS (Suspense-Cont) – NR/DNF
Crouch, Blake – 1st and 2nd in series
St. Martin's Press, 2004/2005 - Hardcover
(A) Thriller writer Andrew Thomas is set up as a serial killer and has no way of proving he is not. (B) It appears on of the bad guys from book (A) is still alive and again out to terrorize Andrew.
*** I group these together as I accidentally started book (B) first, couldn't get into it and thought it might be better if I read book (A) first. I was wrong. Thes...more
Barbara Meyers
Finally a book that held my interest and toward the end I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. to finish it. I haven't done that in a long time. This is the first of this author's books that I have read and didn't realize it was part of a series until I'd finished it. I will definitely read more of Blake Crouch's work. Bravo!
Kat
I actually read the "Thicker Than Blood" version of this (not sure that there is a difference other then the included different ending, which I did not read).

Anyhow, my full in depth review, which includes mini reviews of each book in this series can be found here: Shivers of Horror

Quite frankly I didn’t care much for “Locked Doors”. It was pretty boring until Andrew captured Vi and forced her to go to the island with him.

I just wasn’t invested that much in this one. I found it hard to pick up...more
Gregg Hubley
Another Deliciously Dark Crouch Thriller

You've gotta love this author! Fast paced page turnovers, relatable characters, and terrifying evil people. Awesome sequel. Can't wait to start the next one and see what the devious Luther Kite has in store next.
Daymon1234
Excellent book.

Loved it cover to cover. Suspenseful and fast paced. I hadn't read Desert Places beforehand so I didn't realize this was the sequel. It's a great stand alone book even if you make the same mistake.
Marybeth Kobland
I started this book late on Friday night and finished it by Saturday night. Although some parts of this book are not for those who are timid of the heart, (there is some uncomfortable violence), it was such a fast read. I did not want to put it down when I had to as things were just happening faster than I could turn the page. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the ending. I say enough is enough once in a while. I wish I had realized there was a prequel "Desert Places" to this bo...more
Maciek
Another great book by Blake Crouch, hard to put down. Even though a sequel it doesn't go into details of previous book. This time story is more focused on main characters and the environment is totally different then the desert before.
Kathy
The next book after Desert Places is just as thrilling as the first with Andrew in hiding and I feel so bad for him and all he's lost. After about five minutes into the book, it takes off and doesn't stop till the end! I've been so caught up in these books that it's all I think about and how I would react and do things if I were the character. You can always tell a great writer if the book stays with you long after it's been read, and I've found one in Blake Crouch.
Sea Shel
Blake Crouch has done it AGAIN!!! Andrew Thomas has been living a life off the grid for seven years trying to prove his innocence for multiple murders. When the widow of his murdered best friend is kidnapped by psychopath extraordinaire, Luther Kite, he has to follow the trail back to the NC coast. When an attractive detective named Violet gets in on the action you CANNOT put this book down!
Blake Crouch is absolutely amazing! His talent for keeping you hanging on the edge of your seat is nothing...more
Tony Moore
Fast paced with lots of action a great follow up to Desert Places. It would make a really good movie
Adam
Just as crazy as book one, only this one read even faster. Pretty wild stuff.
Elayne
OMG! Loved this book. Edge of the seat reading at its best!
Mandy
To its credit: this book was fast-paced. Beyond that, it was a letdown. It is a sequel to the better book, Desert Places. The characters were over-the-top deranged and homicidal, which I can get into if there are reasons for it or some kind of logical storyline involved. I wanted to like this book because Blake Crouch is a local writer, but it didn't seem like he used much imagination for this one. It was just bleh.
Angela Wade
Just couldn't make it through. Story didn't hold my attention, and the characters never clicked.
  • Truck Stop
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • All the Blue-Eyed Angels (Erin Solomon Pentalogy, #1)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thrillers, Book #3)
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
Blake Crouch was born near the piedmont town of Statesville, North Carolina in 1978. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 2000 with degrees in English and Creative Writing. Blake lives with his family in southwest Colorado, where he is at work on a new book
More about Blake Crouch...
Pines (Wayward Pines #1) Run The Last Town (The Wayward Pines, #3) Wayward (Wayward Pines #2) Abandon

“Did you fabricate a silver lining there?” “If they had their faith, I believe they’re in heaven.” “I’m sure that’s just what Mr. Worthington was thinking as Luther Kite butchered him.  ‘Boy, I’m glad I have this faith.’” ” 0 likes