Start by marking “Professors as Writers” as Want to Read:
Professors as Writers

Professors as Writers

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Here is a proven book to help scholars master writing as a productive, enjoyable, and successful experience -- Author, Robert Boice, prepared this self-help manual for professors who want to write more productively, painlessly, and successfully. It reflects the author's two decades of experiences and research with professors as writers -- by compressing a lot of experience ...more
Published March 24th 1990 by New Forums Press (first published February 24th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Professors as Writers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professors as Writers

May 18, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing-as-craft
To be fair, I read this book but did not do the plan or the exercises that went along. It focused on overcoming writer's block and other psychological impediments to writing, like fear of failure, perfectionism, etc. I hoped for more pragmatic advice on time management and organization, versus motivation, just because that is what I feel I'm lacking. The book had some suggestions to rearrange one's writing environment and writing habits but those were not the innovative parts. So I did not find ...more
Victor Barger
Mar 19, 2009 Victor Barger rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Writers
Shelves: academia, writing
Based on his research on scholarly writing and his experience counseling authors, Robert Boice devised a four-stage approach to writing consistently and productively: (1) establish momentum, (2) develop external controls, (3) foster intrinsic motivation, and (4) leverage sociality. In this book, Boice introduces techniques for mastering each of these stages and offers insightful advice to keep the words flowing. Whether you're currently experiencing a block or are simply looking for preventive m ...more
Clare
Sep 28, 2008 Clare rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-tips
This is a marvellous practical book on how to get going with academic writing. Lots of really useful tips about how to organise oneself and how to overcome academic writer's block.
Scott
Oct 24, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
This book acts as a therapy session on writing blockages. In fact Boice uses narratives of real therapy sessions he conducted with faculty members throughout the book to illustrate the practical response and some objections to the programs outlined in the book. This book, therefore, is most meaningful for those people who feel they have trouble writing in a professional setting.

It works from outlining why professors don't write, to the phenomenology of writing blockages, advising the reader to f
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Overall this book was helpful. Boice has helped unblock professors with writing difficulties for years and has really done his research on the subject of writing difficulties. The book mirrors his real-life program in which problem writers seek his assistance to get back on track. Boice includes some interesting interludes in which he examines the history and scholarship on issues such as spontaneous writing and negative self-talk. It's interesting to find out that any anxieties you have about w ...more
Jan 22, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Many helpful suggestions, though I'm not sure it required book-length treatment.
A little pamphlet, maybe, to be passed out by writing evangelists outside university libraries and large lecture halls.
"Did you know that your graduate school career didn't really prepare you for writing?"
"Aren't you tired of writing to deadlines?"
"Hey, mister, wanna be a more productive scholar? No, yeah, I meant Doctor, not Mister."
Emily
Jun 16, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
Recommends it for: academic writers who feel stuck
I have actually read this before, and feel stupefied by his psychobabble and his bizarre numbering of forms rather than labeling them. I think it is a trait of the social sciences.
However, the 4 or 5 pages in which he describes step by step how to rework/revise your article is really good.
The suggestions for making yourself write every day are also solid but not different from everyone else's advice.
Where he does differ is in the emphasis on self-care and being kind to yourself -- advice not oft
Purple Iris
Jan 25, 2016 Purple Iris rated it it was ok
Some good advice, but I am not into all the charts and stuff. I think this would have been really useful if I were actually blocked and not just in need of some organization strategies.
Ashley
May 22, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
It isn't very well-written, but the advice in it is great. It is motivating and has many clever tricks.
Elizabeth
Dec 01, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This book begins by suggesting that it is merely about combating Writer's Block. Though this is the ostensible focus, many of pragmatic suggestions for writing and controlling the thoughts and environments that surround and are associated with writing might be equally useful to non-blocked writers. Boice imagines that people can overcome writing problems through both cognitive and behavioral attention to their problems, which is a refreshingly rounded approach.
Jocelyn
Nov 14, 2014 Jocelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
A psychologist helps you diagnose your writing problem and suggests some solutions. He offers some good suggestions but unfortunately for how much I liked this book, I either didn't need them or had heard them all before. Plus he calls them things like "stimulus control procedures" and prescribes exercises like "GWS-II." Sample sentence: "Then, when you've given GWS-II a try, do things you've already done with the SWS and GWS-I exercises." Typical psychologist.
Cricket
Good ideas for organizing one’s writing life. Boice speaks of becoming an effective, efficient and joyful writer—three things that I’d love to be. I’ll try the strategies and report back.
Jennifer Glass
Aug 13, 2015 Jennifer Glass added it
Shelves: science
Great book to read if you ever have writer's block. Boice offers advice that's proven to work. Repetitive at times, but quite helpful and an easy read.
Bla
Jun 07, 2012 Bla rated it liked it
Read it in an hour. Some interesting suggestions. I particularly liked contingency management.
Debra
Oct 01, 2009 Debra rated it liked it
Boice as some good ideas but I don't think I can implement his techniques.
Alyce
Jan 06, 2013 Alyce rated it liked it
Shelves: academic
A book you read for functionality more than entertainment. Useful tips
Emily
Dec 19, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: academia
If you need to write academic stuff while trying to teach - check this out.
LK
LK rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Phil Dickinson
Phil Dickinson rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Hung Nghiep
Hung Nghiep marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
V
V marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Peeravich Paoprayoon
Peeravich Paoprayoon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Ersin Gülay
Ersin Gülay marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Grete
Grete marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it it was ok
May 11, 2016
Juan C Hernandez H
Juan C Hernandez H is currently reading it
May 05, 2016
Yindong Wei
Yindong Wei rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success
  • Getting It Published: A Guide for Scholars and Anyone Else Serious about Serious Books
  • How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing
  • Stylish Academic Writing
  • What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 199 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career
  • The Literature Review: Six Steps to Success
  • The Clockwork Muse: A Practical Guide to Writing Theses, Dissertations & Books
  • Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Thinking Like Your Editor: How to Write Great Serious Nonfiction and Get It Published
  • The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research
  • Writing for Social Scientists: How to Start and Finish Your Thesis, Book, or Article
  • Teaching What You Don't Know
  • Writing Without Teachers
  • "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia
  • Authoring a Ph.D.: How to Plan, Draft, Write and Finish a Doctoral Thesis or Dissertation
  • From Student to Scholar: A Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor
  • What the Best College Teachers Do
  • Destination Dissertation: A Traveler's Guide to a Done Dissertation

“Writing regardless of mood, in contrast, keeps momentum going. Writing regularly, even in moderate amounts, minimizes warm-up effects. Writing in a regimen produces both ease of writing and surprising output of writing.” 1 likes