Start by marking “Как работать по четыре часа в неделю” as Want to Read:
Как работать по четыре часа в неделю

Как работать по четыре часа в неделю

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  40,282 ratings  ·  2,502 reviews
What do you do? Tim Ferriss has trouble answering the question. Depending on when you ask this
controversial Princeton University guest lecturer, he might answer:

“I race motorcycles in Europe.”
“I ski in the Andes.”
“I scuba dive in Panama.”
“I dance tango in Buenos Aires.”

He has spent more than five years learning the secrets of the New Rich, a fast-growing subculture who...more
Второе издание, дополненное и переработанное, 424 pages
Published 2010 by Добрая книга (first published 2007)

Justin Tapp Not unless you are selling a product that is easy to outsource the manufacturing, order processing, shipping, and customer service of the product. He…moreNot unless you are selling a product that is easy to outsource the manufacturing, order processing, shipping, and customer service of the product. He has done it with fitness pills, and gives tips on how you can do similar with t-shirts and other goods. Less applicable if you're an independent contractor or in the service sector, or if your item is custom-made and quality is important. There are some tips for making your day more productive that are worth heeding-- like not checking your email and never having meetings. But Ferriss admits on his podcast that he doesn't actually work a 4-hour workweek, some weeks are 40-60 hours. It's just that he gets more out of them than most people. (less)

Todd Nemet
Timothy Ferriss spoke at a management meeting last week where I work. A few of the managers came back pretty impressed, so I cadged a copy off of a manager and skimmed/read it one sitting Friday night.

The effect of this book is like being trapped in a room with a manic-depressive during the manic part of his cycle. Imagine a cross between Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys and a late-night infomercial. Then add a dash of narcissistic personality disorder to get an idea of the tone of this book.

This book is...more
Jonathan El-Bizri
I hesitantly recomend this book. The reasons why are towards the end of the review.

The douchebaggery and straight up disengenuity espoused almost drips off the pages: quite remarkable even in the self-help, think-outside-the-box, start-your-own-business genre. Much of what Ferris recommends just plain doesn't work (I'm talking from experience). Other things are slightly ridiculous: an entire chapter is spent discussing how one can get people to stop bugging you at your cubicle by lying to their...more
Emma
Aug 08, 2008 Emma rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a desperate wage slave who has no picture of how things could be different for them
At first I thought this was the bee's knees, toes, and ankles. But as I read further I began to realize that this guy "wins" by cheating, "delegates" by leaving everything in the hands of his $5/hour personal assistant in India, and sells books by promising to tell you how to get rich, and delivers a book on how to get everyone around you to be really annoyed with you for shirking any responsibility.

He encourages you to lease expensive cars so you can feel like you are living the "life of your...more
Craig
Instead of focusing on this book's lame contents (it was really bad) I decided to share my review of how it was otherwise used in the hopes that it might inspire others.

First of all, I found the book's paper a little rough in texture. This precluded it from being used in the outhouse or camping, if you know what I mean. The raspy paper DID, however, have just the right stuff to be 'ripped and rolled' into some really effective starter wicks in the old fireplace. Went up like a charm and led to a...more
Maria Andreu
A few weeks ago in NYC, I sat with two of the smartest people I know at a cool brunch.

"But explain it to me," I said. "Just what is it about the 4-Hour Work Week that we haven't already seen?" Having a background in a "work-smarter-not-harder" industry (the coaching industry), what I'd heard about 4HWW had not impressed me as anything particularly fresh and new.

"Well," said one friend, "It's just never all been put in a book like this before."

"Okay." That didn't sound so compelling to me.

"Well,"...more
Otis Chandler
Apr 23, 2008 Otis Chandler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: free thinkers, entrepreneurs, graham myhre
Recommended to Otis by: kareem
I found this book on a recommendation from a good friend, and if it wasn't for that I might have put it down right away, because the tone is very markety, and the author makes a lot of big claims with little substance.

That being said, the author must be a smart guy because there is a lot of good stuff in this book.

Big Takeaways
1. Most of us have the idea that we are supposed to work until we are 60, then retire and live the good life. Tim does a great job pointing out how backwards that idea is,...more
Rasmus
Dec 02, 2008 Rasmus rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scumbags.
Although mr. Ferriss has some good ideas and goals, there is one word that describes why, I am not a fan of this book: Scumbaggery.

While I totally agree with Tim Ferriss, when he says that most meetings are useless and should be avoided, I cannot agree with his recommendation of making up excuses and lies, in order to leave early or not show up. This is just one example of behavior recommended in this book, and it quite frankly disgusts me.

I am all for automating the dull aspects of my life, tak...more
Ryan
May 09, 2008 Ryan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dilbert, with love from Friedrich Nietzsche.
Recommended to Ryan by: I get all my picks from Oprah.
Let ME save YOU a few hours.

1. You're a game changer and a rule breaker.
2. Quit checking your fucking email and get off the computer. No, seriously. Go.
3. Outsource everything--even your soul. It's all about you.
4. Retire, vacation, go mobile.
5. Tim Ferriss is an ass.

Questions?
Ryan: Hey Tim, I work in a pickle factory in Poland and have a minimal education, how do I make the above program work for me?

Tim: *head explodes*

Seriously, some simple ideas are in here that can probably help you get thi...more
Kara
Oct 05, 2007 Kara rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who hate their lives
I just started this book, and I can't even finish it. Aside from the author grating on my last nerve with each page turn, I find his outlook on life to be overly fantastical. This book appeals to people who are working in dead end jobs that are hellish to say the least, and offers a way out to people who have lost hope. But I'll tell you something. If making a ton of money, working a 4-hour work week, and living like a millionaire were easy, everyone would do it. The fact that he's one of FEW th...more
Kyle
I am always interested in life-hacks that can make work more productive and leave more time for leisure so this book grabbed my attention. Little did I know that reading it would feel like listening to a confessional from someone who will leave no corner uncut. If you have no qualms about out-sourcing work and under-paying people to do it, then this book may be for you. If not--and you have no anthropological interest in the delusional contours of petty bourgeois entrepreneurial capitalism at th...more
David
Screen Shot 2013 03 17 at 11 59 AM

I don't know how else to put it. Timothy Ferris is a douche. There is, in fact, an entire genre of blog literature that explains why Timothy Ferriss is a douche. Even New York Times columnist Frank Bruni got in on the action.

Since I already heard Ferriss' insecure egocentricity on full display during his Long Now talk, I came to this book expecting a self-obsessed hustler to peddle his "you-too-can-be-like-me" vision. But I still wanted to read the book. I wanted to understand why it became a b...more
Chip and Katie Moore
Overall, I appreciate the idea he brings up in the fact that people waste their days with nonsense (this may come from the fact that I worked in the government for years). As a computer guy, I also appreciate the fact that many people don't fully harness the power of auto-replies, faqs, macros, scripts, batching, etc. to eliminate a good 80% of their work in an office environment. That being the case, the idea of doing all of this doesn't work everywhere (only certain office/sales jobs I suspect...more
Linda Robinson
Ugh. There are a few nuggets here, but digging for them is arduous. Because of the mild distaste I experienced reading the book, I took the time (wasted no doubt, in this lexicon) to count quotes. There are plenty. 92 from men, 7 from women, 2 from fictional characters (1 each Yoda and Calvin: note, males) 2 inanimate objects (1 each Fortune Cookie and AT&T), 1 Chinese Proverb, and 1 from an Italian rap group.

Guybonics. And tomfoolery. If you must waste time, don't do it reading this book.
Amber
Reading the first third of this book was one of the most self-indulgent activities I’ve ever done. (And yes, I read fiction.) It was so nice to hear that someone else in the world doesn't understand why we spend so much time on meaningless meetings and other time-fillers when there are so many meaningful things we long to do.

This book is worth reading though there are a few things you'll have to endure to finish it:
-potty-mouth words
-author-coined terms and antonyms that include the word “rich”...more
Aaron Minks
May 30, 2008 Aaron Minks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron by: Wendy
Shelves: non-fiction, repeats
One of the few books I have read more than once. Timothy Feriss does an excellent job of explaining the lifestyle and methods of the new rich. Not only that, but he provides web addresses, phone numbers, and more for manufacturers, drop shippers, and mentors. This is a life changing book for any person involved or interested in business.
Tommy
One of the best books out there for breaking you out of the routine way of THINKING about your job, even if some of the model suggestions are a bit preposterous for a non-entrepreneur. Very inspiring!
Livia Blackburne
It does a good job of challenging people to rethink the status quo and evaluate what they're doing with their time. It's often hard to think outside the box and imagine your life as you'd really like to live it, and Ferris does a good job of shaking things up.

That said, many of the tactics Ferris suggests are morally questionable. You'll get more out of the book if you have no qualms about calling in "sick" at work, hiring overseas assistants at below minimum wage to do your busy work, setting u...more
Kim
Ok, if I ever met this guy (and I could have because he participated in a celebrity date auction in SF some friends and I were jokingly considering attending), I KNOW I would not like him based on his voice in this book. However, he has about 3 points I took away, and I can appreciate him for that: 1. Don't waste time trying to accomplish things that don't help your bottom line 2. More time given to do things makes more time to procrastinate 3. "Batch" activities at one time to get them done fas...more
Jami Leigh
I figure, having been unemployed most of this year, I'd see if there were any suggestions in this book that I could actually apply into the kind of career I actually want to do. Well, that and it was free on a holiday promotion.

There are words to describe my opinion of this book, however most of them would break the terms and conditions of this site. Suffice it to say, it's one big sales pitch for being an egomaniac, passive agressive jerk. It boils entirely down to outsource or eliminate anyth...more
Douglas
Mar 03, 2008 Douglas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Many of my friends have read this book and my friend Alex kept talking it up, so I picked it up.

Very few books have really changed the way I envision how I am going to live my life. So far, I have only two: Rich Dad Poor Dad and this one. Though Rich Dad introduced me to the concept of owning assets that pay you to free your time, 4-hour workweek dispels a lot of myths about the need to make millions to live the life that we all dream about. In actuality, its a lot closer than we all realize.

Eve...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

If I was in the mood to be deliberately cruel, I suppose I could sum up the four main steps of the insanely popular "lifestyle management" guide The 4-Hour Work Week thusly: "Step 1: Stop reading the news! That whole pesky 'being an informed citizen' thing is just getting in the way of you becoming one of...more
brian Lehnen
Jun 24, 2007 brian Lehnen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Working Stiffs
It is nice to know that somebody is out there attempting to shed some light on the American rat-race lifestyle...

Although this book has its obvious flaws, namely:

1. Author is an ivy league entrepreneur (of course he's not worried about money).

2. Many of his "time-saving" work tips have no relevance in many fields of work. In fact, I cant really see how they would work unless you already have some independence in your job.

3. The Get-Rich-Quick internet start-up company info. is mostly nonsense....more
Joy
Feb 25, 2008 Joy rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the pretentious
So glad I got this book from the library. If I'd purchased the book I would have felt cheated out of money, not just time. Really, this is a book with a great title but it's more a brag book. There was so much talk of self indulgence, living the 'rock star life'. So much talk in fact , it is almost laughable at page 272 he devotes 4 paragraphs to service. Which he defines as "doing something that improves life besides your own." It was a lame afterthought.

In my opinion - using Mr. Ferriss's 4-Ho...more
The other reviews of this book are pretty spot on. I did want to say that I found the idea of mini-retirements interesting. Why should we wait until we are old to enjoy what life has to offer?

I like the idea of taking a month or two off and exploring something new, interesting and educational. This can be done individually and as a family.

I also thought Ferriss' time saving tips can be applied not only to a work, but even to running a household. I didn't really agree with his values and how lif...more
Leonid Svidersky
Это не столько книга, сколько сборник пошаговых действий для становления "Новым богачом". От начального момента ухода с работы, организации бизнеса, ухода от оперативного управления, до проблем "А что же мне теперь делать" и "В чем же смысл жизни?". Адаптирована для US, в других странах нужно искать собственные пути.
Joy
Mar 26, 2008 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Roee
I received Timothy Ferriss’ hot, new bestseller “The 4-Hour Workweek” for Christmas and, cautiously optimistic, proceeded to read what I hoped would not be yet another rendition of a worthless get rich quick scheme. While at times a bit pompous for my taste, I found the author succeeded to deliver readers a realistic, executable plan that, with the right amount of effort, could actually work. Unlike many others who have taken their stab at the genre, Ferriss does not package a timeless, one size...more
Todd Mitchell
It took me less than a week to read even the expanded version of 4-Hour Work Week. This wasn't for lack of content, but for a combination of speed-reading reminders and rants about focus and Getting Things Done (GTD).

In all honesty, I started this book with ill intentions. I'm often skeptical of anything too many people get excited about and author Tim Ferriss fits the bill. Still, I figured if I wanted to bag on the guy I was going to do the homework first.

I'm glad I did. While I don't buy in...more
J.F. Penn
The book that changed my life a few years ago. My aim was to be location independent, after a number of businesses and investments that tied me to one place. 5 years later, I am location independent and a full-time author-entrepreneur. This book helped me see it was possible.
Chad Warner
Jan 13, 2013 Chad Warner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, business owners
Timothy Ferriss explains how he freed himself from the rat race and slashed his working hours by delegating, outsourcing, and automating his businesses. He spends his new free time living on his terms, which for him means traveling the world. He wants you to do the same, and provides the motivation and action steps to do so. The basic message of this book: take shortcuts.

In most cases, those shortcuts involve working smarter. In a few instances, however, Ferriss promotes what I would consider qu...more
Naveed
Mar 11, 2010 Naveed rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spineless people.
This book is garbage. I donated it to my local library shortly after completing it. First off - the number of plugs Ferriss puts in his book is unbelievable. He's clearly getting a small cut from each of these people who want to "advertise" in his book. Secondly - he talks mostly about himself throughout this book. As opposed to Guy Kawasaki who might actually give instructions, and most likely will inspire, Tim Ferriss is so insecure about himself that he has to talk about his own dance skills...more
The DeFranco Book...: 4 hour work week! 19 170 Mar 23, 2013 08:25PM
The DeFranco Book...: I'm confused. 14 259 Mar 16, 2013 09:47PM
TheYBM: * Are you on Twitter? 6 7 Feb 11, 2013 04:20PM
What is this? 2 101 Apr 08, 2012 01:39PM
Achieving the life style 5 152 Sep 04, 2008 06:22AM
  • I Will Teach You To Be Rich
  • The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Anything You Want
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Getting Started in Consulting
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Monk and the Riddle: The Education of a Silicon Valley Entrepreneur
  • The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Secrets of Power Negotiating: Inside Secrets from a Master Negotiator
  • The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
  • The Way Of The Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • The Power Of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential
  • The Start-Up of You: Adapt to the Future, Invest in Yourself, and Transform Your Career
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
Tim Ferriss is author of three #1 NYT/WSJ bestsellers: The 4-Hour Workweek, The 4-Hour Body, and The 4-Hour Chef. He is also a start-up advisor specializing in positioning, PR, and marketing (Uber, Evernote, etc.). When not damaging his body with abusive sports, he enjoys chocolate, bear claws, and Japanese animation.
More about Timothy Ferriss...
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life The Slow Carb Diet Cookbook: A Companion to the 4-Hour Body: Volume 2 4-godzinny tydzień pracy 4 Saatte Süper İnsan

“For all of the most important things, the timing always sucks. Waiting for a good time to quit your job? The stars will never align and the traffic lights of life will never all be green at the same time. The universe doesn't conspire against you, but it doesn't go out of its way to line up the pins either. Conditions are never perfect. "Someday" is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. Pro and con lists are just as bad. If it's important to you and you want to do it "eventually," just do it and correct course along the way.” 109 likes
“But you are the average of the five people you associate with most, so do not underestimate the effects of your pessimistic, unambitious, or disorganized friends. If someone isn't making you stronger, they're making you weaker.” 92 likes