Start by marking “Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)” as Want to Read:
Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)

Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  542 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Down by the river, the first to go missing were not much lamented. Disappearances of homeless men foraging through trash or nuisance skater kids who rolled their boards along the planked piers at night were not noteworthy enough to delay the city's development projects.

But deep beneath the riverbank, the evidence of a terrible crime has been covered up twice. When a TVA d
Published October 2nd 2007 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Not Flesh Nor Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Flesh Nor Feathers

Miriam
This third installment moves away from the I-hear-dead-people theme into a grislier but less convincing aquatic zombies direction (you don't know what direction aquatic zombies are? Just head toward the water). Eden's ghost-whispering abilities don't come into the story too much, and there isn't the nod to traditional superstition to make suspension of disbelief easier for the reader. I can accept the possibility of ghosts and magic that I am unable to see; however, if everyone who was wrongfull ...more
Chris
Disclaimer: I really like Priest. I think Dreadful Skinis a really great werewolf novel. I fully intend on reading more Priest. I, however, am a reader of and not a fan of. If you don't know the difference, think about it.

I'll admit,part of my reaction to this book is the zombies. I really, really don't like zombies. I'm sorry, the walking dead doesn't do it for me. There's zombies in this book.

Cherie Priest is a good writer. Everyone who likes fantasy, steampunk, vampires, or werewolves should
Nadine Jones
Another great book from Ms Priest; her stories defy categorization, the best I can do is call them paranormal mysteries. This one kept me up until 1am reading, and it freaked me out sufficiently that I kept thinking I saw "things" in the living room when I walked out for a drink. Some sort of zombie ghosts rise from the Tennessee River when it floods during a rainstorm; much much better than that sounds. Thankfully, it was not raining outside while I was reading.
Shannon Ross-albers
This book started off with a promising hook, but it didn't hold my interest beyond the first quarter. I kept at it though. There were so many meandering conversations that didn't help the plot at all. In one conversation, the characters complained that when ghosts spoke, their messages were unclear and not to the point. The living characters were not much better. About three-quarters of the way, I just started skimming to the end.
Layla
I think I'm a romantic at heart and so while I found "Wings not for the Kingdom" compelling, I found this "Walking Dead: Chattanooga" too contrived. The idea that a local "ghost whisperer" would help the restless spirits of a mass war grave is one thing. That same character illogically hurling herself into a natural disaster to talk to a disreputable skateboarder who may or may not be lying about missing friends, who may or may not know something about KKK murals in old buildings is another.
Disb
Amanda Steinhoff
I had read other books by this author but none from the Eden Moore series. I failed to realize until I was halfway in that this was actually the third book in the trilogy - oh well. I still really enjoyed it. I liked how Eden was sort of the every girl average jane type of psychic. She was just the right amounts of sassy and tortured. There were a few moments when she'd get a little damsel in distress-y, but not to the point where I wanted to stop reading. The mystery of the monsters was nothing ...more
Jennie
Althea Ann
This is the third, and as-of-this-writing, last book in Cherie Priest's Eden Moore series. I really like these, and hope that Priest comes back to revisit Eden one of these days!

Eden's a regular young Southern woman who just happens to be able to see ghosts - and has a bit of a voodoo legacy from her evil great-grandfather. As this story opens, Eden's trying to get her life together a bit and act like an adult - she's just agreed to buy a condo at the new development they're building down by the
Irena
***3.5***
Eden is moving into the city. Finally. Or so she thinks. People are disappearing near the river, right where those new apartments are.

The water in this book has a life of its own, its own personality. Cherie Priest can really make water creepier than it usually is.

This is a story of hate, stupidity, unforgivable past deeds and unlikely heroes. I wanted to cry in the end. As much as the past was horrible, the things some of the characters do in the present are beautiful and heroic. Hell
Zephfire
I was really surprised by this book, pleasantly so! Zombies really aren't my thing, but this book was! I didn't realise that it was #3 in a series, I will get the others to read as I enjoyed this one so much!
Eden as a lead is a really enjoyable character, strong but vulnerable, determined and with an ability to see ghosts (not that she always appreciates that fact!) I loved the descriptions of the setting, I've never visited that part of the USA but the descriptions alone gave me plenty of menta
jillian
I re-read the entire Eden Moore trilogy recently. And I remembered how much I like these books. They remind me of my own late 1990s existence: hanging out in coffeehouses, the vaguely bohemian existence of early twentysomethings in Victoria. Cherie Priest says she's been accused of writing in a Chattanooga that only exists in her memory, around 1996 or so. That explains the association I have with my own life as it was in 1997. I can only imagine though, how much better this book would be if I h ...more
Laurie
Eden Moore can see and speak with the dead, which is a good thing, because Chattanooga is not only being flooded, but is also under attack by zombies. But the zombies have nothing to tell her, so she must seek information from ghosts, both a well known, fancy-historic-hotel residing ghost and the new ghosts of skater kids and homeless people who the zombies have killed. At the same time, Eden is seeking information about the curse her many greats-grandfather put on her and is about to have a vis ...more
Angela
Cherie Priest's novels about Eden Moore, who sees ghosts and other sorts of dead in Chattanooga, are consistently excellent. Not Flesh Nor Feathers, the third book of the series, is happily no exception to this rule. She continues to bring the Creepy to Chattanooga, drawing on the rich and oftentimes genuinely creepy in real life history of the South to lay down her tales. And this time around, she does it with bonus zombies.

As of Book 3 Eden is still struggling to get a handle on what the event
T.S.
I fell in love with Cherie Priest this time last year, when I read "Wings to the Kingdom." That was the second novel in her Eden Moore trilogy, Eden being the name of her main character/detective/clairvoyant. This is the final installment; it, like the others, is perfect reading for the Halloween season.

As an aside, I'll tell you that Priest embraces the Southern and Appalachian folklore concerning ghost stories and "hoints." She does it justice with her storytelling, and what Anne Rice did for
Jenn
(Bk 3/Eden Moore series) Modern southern gothic. Set in Chattanooga, we meet up with Eden Moore again. She still sees & hears ghosts, which is a good thing because there are things in the river, things that are killing people and as it rains endlessly, the river starts to flood and Eden finds out the zombies in the water are empty - except for the angriest little gril (cue creepy music). So Eden has to turn to a ghost to find out why the things are coming and what they want...Or try to. Inte ...more
Christopher Hoover
Funny how individual tastes vary. Other fans of the Eden Moore books have said here they found this to be less strong than its two predecessors, but for me it's the strongest of the trilogy. The entire series has a genuine emotional depth, and Priest's fictional city-wide catastrophe gives her an even broader canvas on which to paint that emotional portrait.

In particular, there is a death near the end (and I won't say who so as not to spoil) that I would never have believed would affect me as mu
Felix
Oct 09, 2007 Felix rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy/ghost/horror fans
This is the third of a trilogy featuring Eden Moore, a psychic young woman whose adventures take place in Chattanooga, TN, which happens to be my home town.

I like ghost stories, so I have now read all of the Eden Moore books, since the author has indicated she has no plans for more. The books are briskly plotted, I like the lead character, and there is an abundance of local color, which interests me as a native.

Cherie Priest, the author, is an engaging writer, if somewhat breezy and prone to te
Tiger Gray
Priest has a great Southern Gothic atmosphere that I really enjoy. This book begins with all the trappings of that atmosphere, and is actually quite spooky. Unfortunately I find Eden difficult to connect with as a main character. Personally, I thought the romantic tension between her and her friend Nick was out of left field. I also found myself wanting more details of the mystery, and less of Eden running away from it. I felt the build up was too long and the resolution lacked punch. However, I ...more
Brooke
The final book in the Eden Moore trilogy finds our main character faced with dead people she can't talk with - zombies. Cherie Priest does an excellent job building dread and horror, not just with the supernatural elements but also with the flooding of Eden's city and the havoc it wrecks. I almost felt damp and clammy by the time Eden finally got to dry land.

I'm now eager for Priest to write more, because there's something about her voice and style that I really like. All three of the Eden Moore
Nupur
I haven't read the first book, and at least for me, the previous ones did not have to be read in order to understand the plot. The last of the trilogy, with an opening into a possible spin-off.

For those who've read the previous books, it starts out as more of the usual, but then takes a very strong and different turn. The story is much more fast paced and characters which have been built up earlier and were on the margins of the earlier book come into play and hold their own in this one. If you
Susan
Strange story but I still had to finish it
Kingsgrave
Hope
Why I picked it up: I loved the first two books in the series, and had to finish it off. (Too bad there probably won't be any more of the Eden Moore series - apparently they didn't sell well enough to get the publisher to ask for more).

Why I finished it: flaming zombies, a supernaturally induced flood, Eden Moore's quest to figure out what is going on.

Who I would give it to: Anyone who likes a snarky, kick-butt heroine. The audience of Ghost Hunters. People who like a good story with interesting
Eleanor
The last Eden Moore book, sadly, at least unless Cherie Priest writes more. I have loved all her stuff through Dreadnought, but Ganymede and Bloodshot left me somewhat cold. I suppose I'll give The Inexplicables a try when it comes out though, because Priest's early books make me love them blissfully. I think I like the Eden Moore books best because they're about ghosts and old secrets. Good stuff. Beautiful writing, tense and thrilling plot, eerie atmosphere. Not the pointless scary stuff in ho ...more
Margo Burnison
I read this book in like three days. If I didn't have to work, I probably would have finished it sooner. I love this series, the depth of the characters is great and the historical (even if inaccurate) details really add to it. Priest is great at weaving a story and pulling you in before you even realize how attached you are to the characters. I am impressed with this book more than the other two in the series and really hope or wish that there would be more Eden Moore books to come.
Melinda
Zombies in Chattanooga. I think I would have enjoyed this more had I read the previous two books in the series. When the characters bring up the topic of "bad language" in a novel, you can bet it's pretty foul. That was annoying. Also, the story seemed strung out, taking 350+ pages to resolve a horror tale that could have been concluded more expediently and with less drama and dialogue. If this is your kind of thing, you'll probably really dig it. At least it wasn't VAMPIRES.
Shamela
**MILD SPOILER ALERT**

Priest hits her stride again with this one. Eden sure doesn't seem to like Chattanooga much--wonder if that's true for Priest. The timing of this one with New Orleans' flooding is interesting. Be sure to read her afterward on that coincidence. The characters all seem to make a big deal about the monsters not being zombies, but to my mind they're classic, with one minor quibble, perhaps. nicely creepy AND suspenseful.
Andrea
Love the psychic main character, Eden, enjoyed the setting, was sort of caught up in the story, except . . . zombies? Really? I spent half the novel trying to figure out how any flesh at all could be remaining on those poor, abused bones. If they had been more recently buried I would have found it easier to settle into the story.

Head-shaking aside, the book was a fun read. I'm looking forward to checking out more of Priest's work.
Robin Wiley
Creepy stuff in the river!!!!!

The last of the trilogy. Nice build over the three books. This is the spookiest by far. Bigger, more epic! Funny, flirty, still kick ass.

There is a scene in a haunted hotel room that stuck in my head to the point that when I had to go out of town for work, I left this book at home! (Yeah, I'm really proud).

Hopefully, not the last Eden Moore book - just the last one in Chattanooga.

LOVED IT!
Dena Beck
I enjoyed this. It isn't the "type" of book I'd normally read. There are zombies in it... That's different for me. However, it is set in downtown Chattanooga. All of the places are so familiar to me that I really enjoy it. (That is why I picked it up.) I enjoy the main character, and there are a series of novels with her. I will try another one in the series, but I don't know if I'll enjoy her as much with a different location.
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • The Trolley to Yesterday
  • Alabaster
  • One for Sorrow
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
  • The Good the Bad and the Infernal
  • Grants Pass
  • Vicious Grace (The Black Sun's Daughter, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Fan Mail (Sophie Anderson, #3)
  • Voodoo Season
  • Madeleine's Ghost
  • Tricks of the Trade (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #3)
  • Southern Gods
  • Soulless
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror 2008: Twenty-First Annual Collection
CHERIE PRIEST is the author of over a dozen novels, including the steampunk pulp adventures The Inexplicables, Ganymede, Dreadnought, Clementine, and Boneshaker. Boneshaker was nominated for both the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award; it was a PNBA Award winner, and winner of the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel. Cherie also wrote Bloodshot and Hellbent from Bantam Spectra; Fathom and the ...more
More about Cherie Priest...
Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1) Dreadnought (The Clockwork Century, #2) Clementine (The Clockwork Century, #1.1) Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #3) Bloodshot (Cheshire Red Reports, #1)