Start by marking “Psychology of Intelligence Analysis” as Want to Read:
Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  21 reviews
With intelligence now getting a front-row seat in governments around the world, this book is especially timely. Intelligence rains in, but without an understanding of the nature of the intelligence, it accumulates in puddles of obscurity. The problems therefore seem to be how to obtain it, how to understand it, and how to sell it to one's bosses. This book deals with how t ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Novinka Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Psychology of Intelligence Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

This book summarized the basic neuroscientific structure of memory and decision-making with emphasis on the potential biases and blind spots created by cognitive deficiencies as well as sub-optimal mental models. Later parts also touched upon the organizational structure to foster an environment where intelligence analysts may be encouraged to have unbiased analysis without undue internal or external motivation to avoid career risk or group-think.

The writing style is succinct and largely consis
An excellent discussion of how mental models influence individual analyses along with recommendations for overcoming them and reducing their influences. IT is well supported by examples and summaries of experiments from many different fields.
Henry Phillips
This is a good tool for the beginning intelligence professional regardless of speciality. It is also good for more experienced professionals to read as a refresher.
This is a very good book about the difficulties associated with acccurate intelligence gathering and analysis. The book was a textbook for training CIA agents.
A long, wordy, yet necessary read for anyone who wishes to pursue any further into the study of "Intelligence analysis".
Victor Anderson
The definitive book on the subject. Even if you are not an intelligence analyst, this should be on your reading list.
Jul 19, 2009 Todd is currently reading it
Thinking about thinking.
William Decker
Excellent book that provides an overview of the heuristics and biases that govern our ability to analyze information. Discusses possible effects on decision making and how we can set up systematic structures to minimize the effect of these biases on on judgments and decisions.

One of the more interesting ideas from the book is that gathering more and more information does not necessarily lead to making better decisions (i.e. higher quality analysis). The author discusses an experiment with Horse
So I initially started reading this book because I thought it was a prerequisite for a class I currently attending. I later found out I only had to read the first two chapters, but by the time they told me that, I was over half way done with the book, so I finished it. I will first caveat that this book is very dry and boring. However, with that previous caveat, there is a ton of great information for any analyst out there. It is written for intelligence professionals, but if you strip away the ...more
This was a fascinating book that discusses how our brains process information, and how we think about problems. Although this was written by an intelligence professional for intelligence professionals, I believe the critical thinking lessons here are fairly universal.

Make no mistake; this is not a spy book. You will not learn much about the inner workings of our intelligence community. Nor will you learn any scandalous inside stories about major headline events. This is more about analytic thou
quite an interesting (and necessary) book (for beginners)
Scott Yaglowski
interesting take on the way the mind works
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Mostly not very new for me but solid nonetheless.
"Predictably Irrational" for intelligence analysts! Should be required reading for all who deal with intelligence!
Vynikající knížka. Relativně útlá, strukturovaná a hlavně dávající do souvislosti teorii a praxi. Jak provádět analýzu, jak pracovat s lidskými limity, jak minimalizovat dopad nejistoty a předsudků. Pokud chcete pracovat s informacema, dělat analýzy a predikce a hledáte vstupní text, můžu jen doporučit. A je to i legálně zdarma ke stažení:
Prachtig boek dat mij aangeraden is door een liefhebber van mijn podcast.
Het is bedoeld voor mensen van inlichtingendiensten om beter om te gaan met informatie en analyseren van politieke situaties in andere landen, maar de technieken en inzichten zijn absoluut algemeen geldig voor iedereen die zijn analytisch vermogen op het werk of in het algemene leven wilt verhogen.
Jason Mock
A little dry but some interesting insights on how our brain works.
Dan Pfeiffer
A catalogue of how mental biases and common psychological traits influence intelligence assessment and deduction. Written for the tradecraft set but applicable to business or even personal applications; especially in a world where our non intentional exposure to data and information designed to influence our opinions and beliefs has become more prevalent.
Intriguing treatise on analytical thinking from a CIA analyst's perspective. Recommended for anybody who has to do some sort of analysis at work(even if it doesn't include trying to conclude whether a heterogeneous democratic nation is about to become a nuclear power or not)
Jansen Wee
A book that all analysts should read ...... and internalise.
Reread pending some writing I have to do...
Iredmunk marked it as to-read
Jacques Louvelle
Jacques Louvelle marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Cato Auestad
Cato Auestad marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Steven marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Aldo is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
Mariam is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2015
  • Analyzing Intelligence: Origins, Obstacles, and Innovations
  • Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach
  • Expert Political Judgment: How Good Is It? How Can We Know?
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • Spycraft: The Secret History of the CIA's Spytechs, from Communism to al-Qaeda
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB
  • Intelligence in War: Knowledge of the Enemy from Napoleon to Al-Qaeda
  • The World Was Going Our Way: The KGB & the Battle for the Third World
  • A Spy For All Seasons: My Life in the CIA
  • Models of My Life
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • Thinking in Time: The Uses of History for Decision-Makers
  • First In: An Insider's Account of How the CIA Spearheaded the War on Terror in Afghanistan
  • The Very Best Men: The Daring Early Years of the CIA
  • Confessions of a Spy
  • From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life