Start by marking “Psychology of Intelligence Analysis” as Want to Read:
Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
With intelligence now getting a front-row seat in governments around the world, this book is especially timely. Intelligence rains in, but without an understanding of the nature of the intelligence, it accumulates in puddles of obscurity. The problems therefore seem to be how to obtain it, how to understand it, and how to sell it to one's bosses. This book deals with how t ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Novinka Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Psychology of Intelligence Analysis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychology of Intelligence Analysis

Misericordia ❣
Apr 06, 2016 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
An in-depth analysis of neurological premises for data analysis and misanalysis.
Q:
PART I--OUR MENTAL MACHINERY
Chapter 1: Thinking About Thinking
Chapter 2: Perception: Why Can't We See What Is There to Be Seen?
Chapter 3: Memory: How Do We Remember What We Know?
PART II--TOOLS FOR THINKING
Chapter 4: Strategies for Analytical Judgment: Transcending the Limits of Incomplete Information
Chapter 5: Do You Really Need More Information?
Chapter 6: Keeping an Open Mind
Chapter 7: Structuring Analytical Probl
Qi
Nov 19, 2013 Qi rated it really liked it
This book summarized the basic neuroscientific structure of memory and decision-making with emphasis on the potential biases and blind spots created by cognitive deficiencies as well as sub-optimal mental models. Later parts also touched upon the organizational structure to foster an environment where intelligence analysts may be encouraged to have unbiased analysis without undue internal or external motivation to avoid career risk or group-think.

The writing style is succinct and largely consis
Tom
Nov 13, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent discussion of how mental models influence individual analyses along with recommendations for overcoming them and reducing their influences. IT is well supported by examples and summaries of experiments from many different fields.
Henry
Feb 20, 2012 Henry rated it liked it
This is a good tool for the beginning intelligence professional regardless of speciality. It is also good for more experienced professionals to read as a refresher.
Mike
Oct 19, 2011 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This is a very good book about the difficulties associated with acccurate intelligence gathering and analysis. The book was a textbook for training CIA agents.
Samantha
Jun 03, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: estudar
A long, wordy, yet necessary read for anyone who wishes to pursue any further into the study of "Intelligence analysis".
Victor Anderson
The definitive book on the subject. Even if you are not an intelligence analyst, this should be on your reading list.
Todd
Jul 19, 2009 Todd is currently reading it
Thinking about thinking.
William Decker
Excellent book that provides an overview of the heuristics and biases that govern our ability to analyze information. Discusses possible effects on decision making and how we can set up systematic structures to minimize the effect of these biases on on judgments and decisions.

One of the more interesting ideas from the book is that gathering more and more information does not necessarily lead to making better decisions (i.e. higher quality analysis). The author discusses an experiment with Horse
Eric
Nov 07, 2013 Eric rated it really liked it
So I initially started reading this book because I thought it was a prerequisite for a class I currently attending. I later found out I only had to read the first two chapters, but by the time they told me that, I was over half way done with the book, so I finished it. I will first caveat that this book is very dry and boring. However, with that previous caveat, there is a ton of great information for any analyst out there. It is written for intelligence professionals, but if you strip away the ...more
Erin Fitzhenry
Mar 30, 2016 Erin Fitzhenry rated it really liked it
This changed the way I think about what I know, how I know it, and whether or not I can trust my own perception.
John
This was a fascinating book that discusses how our brains process information, and how we think about problems. Although this was written by an intelligence professional for intelligence professionals, I believe the critical thinking lessons here are fairly universal.

Make no mistake; this is not a spy book. You will not learn much about the inner workings of our intelligence community. Nor will you learn any scandalous inside stories about major headline events. This is more about analytic thou
Narcis
Jun 23, 2015 Narcis rated it really liked it
quite an interesting (and necessary) book (for beginners)
Scott Yaglowski
Sep 17, 2015 Scott Yaglowski rated it liked it
interesting take on the way the mind works
Muhammad al-Khwarizmi
Mostly not very new for me but solid nonetheless.
Victor
Oct 07, 2014 Victor rated it it was amazing
"Predictably Irrational" for intelligence analysts! Should be required reading for all who deal with intelligence!
Petr
Feb 11, 2015 Petr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vynikající knížka. Relativně útlá, strukturovaná a hlavně dávající do souvislosti teorii a praxi. Jak provádět analýzu, jak pracovat s lidskými limity, jak minimalizovat dopad nejistoty a předsudků. Pokud chcete pracovat s informacema, dělat analýzy a predikce a hledáte vstupní text, můžu jen doporučit. A je to i legálně zdarma ke stažení: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-fo...
Jozef
Jul 02, 2010 Jozef rated it it was amazing
Prachtig boek dat mij aangeraden is door een liefhebber van mijn podcast.
Het is bedoeld voor mensen van inlichtingendiensten om beter om te gaan met informatie en analyseren van politieke situaties in andere landen, maar de technieken en inzichten zijn absoluut algemeen geldig voor iedereen die zijn analytisch vermogen op het werk of in het algemene leven wilt verhogen.
Jason Mock
Apr 09, 2014 Jason Mock rated it it was ok
A little dry but some interesting insights on how our brain works.
Dan Pfeiffer
Feb 03, 2015 Dan Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
A catalogue of how mental biases and common psychological traits influence intelligence assessment and deduction. Written for the tradecraft set but applicable to business or even personal applications; especially in a world where our non intentional exposure to data and information designed to influence our opinions and beliefs has become more prevalent.
waitsforsleep
Jan 17, 2014 waitsforsleep rated it really liked it
Intriguing treatise on analytical thinking from a CIA analyst's perspective. Recommended for anybody who has to do some sort of analysis at work(even if it doesn't include trying to conclude whether a heterogeneous democratic nation is about to become a nuclear power or not)
Venkat
Jul 20, 2016 Venkat rated it it was amazing
It was surprising to know that I had some of the bias described in the book. A must read for anyone in the business of analysing data/ events.
Jwduke
Mar 30, 2016 Jwduke rated it it was amazing
If you are into Analysis, this is a staple and a must read.
Jansen Wee
Aug 03, 2011 Jansen Wee rated it it was amazing
A book that all analysts should read ...... and internalise.
Jack
Jan 07, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing
Reread pending some writing I have to do...
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Bederomar
Bederomar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Amit
Amit marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
  • Analyzing Intelligence: Origins, Obstacles, and Innovations
  • Intelligence Analysis: A Target-Centric Approach
  • Thwarting Enemies at Home and Abroad: How to Be a Counterintelligence Officer
  • Fair Play: The Moral Dilemmas of Spying
  • Intelligence: From Secrets to Policy
  • Expert Political Judgment: How Good Is It? How Can We Know?
  • Spy Handler: Memoir of a KGB Officer: The True Story of the Man Who Recruited Robert Hanssen and Aldrich Ames
  • Battleground Berlin: CIA vs. KGB in the Cold War
  • The Man Who Kept the Secrets: Richard Helms & the CIA
  • Models of My Life
  • Spycraft: The Secret History of the CIA's Spytechs, from Communism to al-Qaeda
  • The Main Enemy: The Inside Story of the CIA's Final Showdown with the KGB