Start by marking “Seranfyll (Seranfyll, #1)” as Want to Read:
Seranfyll (Seranfyll, #1)

Seranfyll (Seranfyll #1)

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Rain has never chosen her own name. Nor has she met a polite apple tree, been caught in a house’s security spell, or ridden a horse . . . winged or not. What she does know is that, after having been a slave for all thirteen years of her common life, she’s free and has nowhere to go.

That all changes when she’s taken in by the peculiar Domrey Seranfyll, who was drunk when h
Published May 10th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Seranfyll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seranfyll

Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandWither by Lauren DeStefanoAcross the Universe by Beth RevisStarcrossed by Josephine Angelini
YA Debuts 2011
77th out of 330 books — 1,242 voters
Masquerade by Cambria HebertPrecipice by Melissa Luznicky GarrettBefore by Cambria HebertRemembrance by Michelle MadowComing Home by Sarah R. Yoffa
Must Buy Smashwords Books
117th out of 461 books — 449 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 14, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Katy by: Christina Daley
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read and reviewed this in August of 2011. I'm updating the formatting and adding the disclaimer that I received a free copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: Middle Grade (whatever age can read it on up)
Recommended for: anyone

My Synopsis: Rain has always been a slave. She lived with and worked for the kind Lord Peachtree, but Lord Peachtree has had a bad peach harvest for the past several years, and t
This was an awesome free book I had the fortune to read from Amazon. In the Fantasy tradition of Tamora Pierce and Mercedes Lackney is this story about a slave girl name Rain. I was so moved by her departure from the family who owned her and to the slave market, she was then bought up on a whim of a drunken Lord. This Lord sets the slaves free in an alcoholic fancy at his "party." Rain is the only who stays, then another boy named Coal. The Lord turn out to be an exceedingly lonely Mage who need ...more
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

My Summary: Rain was born into slavery. Her life has always been centered around a routine: take care of the master's needs before your own. But Rain is happy with her life - her masters treat her and the rest of the servants like human beings, and she and her sister Snow have been allowed to grow up together and take care of each other.

But things can't last. Master Peachtree sells Rain a
Lisa Gott
Every once and awhile you read a book that moves you. A book that tackles your heart and soul with such raw emotion that you have no chance of escaping it. Today, I write about such a book. It's title? Seranfyll.

Seranfyll is a young adult fantasy novel about slaves, love, friendship, choices and consequences. I am actually near speechless at what a fantastic job Ms. Daley did at intricately weaving together each of these aspects.

We follow three main characters: Lord Domrey Seranfyll, Rain and C
Melanie McCullough
Actual Rating 3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed this one, but I have to say that it took me completely by surprise. I wasn't expecting to like it. This isn't because of the book itself, it's simply that I was in a foul mood when I sat down to read it, and, as any reader knows, your mood can greatly influence your reading experience. However by the time I was finished with this story not only was I immensely satisfied, I'd completely forgotten what I was upset about to begin with. Isn't it amazing what a
Seranfyll is an enchanting story that welcomes the reader into its world. The characters are delightful. Rain is a former slave who finds her life changed by the quirky Lord Domrey Seranfyll. Many think of him as a devil but he really is just a charming, magical, lonely soul. Coal is a former slave who completes the little made up family of Seranfyll. The story is whimsical with a hint of danger. The setting is not easy to identify but I believe that it was intended to be timeless.
Seranfyll is
I don't generally read a lot of books that are suitable for 10 years + , but when I saw the synopsis of this book with its suggestion that fans of Harry Potter would enjoy it (I love HP) I thought I should definitely give it a try.

13 year old Rain lives in the kingdom of Yoan and is a slave in the service of a good master, but one who has racked up serious debts. Her life looks like it's taking a turn for the worse when she is sold to a slave trader and separated from sister Snow. Locked up at a
Really in my adult world this is more of a three stars book, but I think if I were closer to the age of the target audience (10+) it would be at least a four.

This is sort of a Howl's Moving Castle meets... Huckleberry Finn?... Harry Potter?... Matilda?... The Help?... I guess I'm not really sure except that HMC meets something slightly more youthful with slavery. Lord Seranfyll definitely reminds me a lot of Howl, and the magic has the same sore of wacky, over-the-top, system-what-system, magic
Dorothy Dao
Already on Chapter 9! Domrey Seranfyll reminds me of Howl from "Howl's Moving Castle". He is a noble but doesn't act like it, and also very enthusiastic. I think I'm falling in love with his character.

Oh my, I'm already on Chapter 32! I can't seem to put this book down! I absolutely adore Domrey's character and personality. Although, 2 chapters ago (Chapter 30), at the end, I couldn't help but tear up because my favorite character, which is Domrey, is being lashed. :( I was like Rain, just watch
A Book Vacation
I really enjoyed this novel. Daley has done a magnificent job creating an endearing novel with an important underlying message against all forms of slavery. While I would classify this novel as a MG/YA novel, it is great for all ages. The action is non-stop, with much suspense and mystery as Rain and her newfound “family,” Seranfyll and Coal, embark on many adventures that cause them to grow as individuals, while also presenting the reader with multiple life lessons.
Perhaps the most remarkable p
Michelle Isenhoff
Seranfyll, a brand new novel by Christina Daley, will take readers to a wonderful place where horses fly and houses sneeze, where mops and pails bark like dogs and clean of their own accord, where trees walk and butlers are created – willy-nilly – out of chickens. It’s a delightful place. A place of animation and imagination. A place I thoroughly enjoyed visiting.

Ms. Daley’s story is lengthy, but I never felt I was jogging in place. It flows well and contains a nice mix of action, intrigue, fant
Jeremy Rodden
When I first started reading this book, I felt like I was in the world of Robin Hobb. Slaves, medieval landscapes, and all that jazz. I also immediately felt how real of a character Rain was. Her early tribulations in the book reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events--the poor girl just couldn't get a break.

As soon as Domrey Seranfyll was introduced, I was hooked with some serious barbs. When the enchanted nature of his house started coming into play, I pictured Beauty and the Beast and the
Title: Seranfyll
Author: Christina Daley
Genre: Fantasy
Publisher: May 2011 by Christina Daley
AISN: B00508VT3Y
Format: Ebook

Rain was born into slavery; it’s all she’s ever known. She has never had any possessions and doesn’t even have a proper name. Yet, in her thirteen years of life, she has been lucky. She lives with her sister, Snow, under the control of Lord Peachtree who treats his slaves as humans.
But her life is about to change.
Because Lord Peachtree has a little problem…okay, a big problem.

To be honest, I haven't really looked at the cover in too much detail. Why? Because I didn't purchase this book, I received a e-book copy for review.

With just seeing it on the computer screen, it looks okay. I don't really want to judge it, without seeing it in person.

My favorite character has to be Lord Domrey. Even though, the first time we get to meet him, he's drunk and riding backwards on his horse, but throughout the story he can really grow on you.

Like anyone, he
Angelica Stringfellow
This book is a fantastic read! Once I got started, I found it difficult to put it down. It was written with fantastic humor and included great adventures. Adventures that aren't without struggle. As a reader I couldn't help but learn important lessons from the story as well as become inspired by it. Each of the characters brought a uniqueness to the story and I what I loved most was that every one of them grew and changed to become better people. I can't wait to read the next book in her series. ...more
Brandy Hunt
This book really surprised me. I usually have a problem with books targeted toward young adults. They are often either too simplistic, or they are too adult in some way that makes me uncomfortable. This book hits a nice middle ground that kept me engaged, and I would think would keep my daughter interested if she chose to read it in a few years.

The characters are sympathetic, the setting is believable, and the ideas presented are important. Lovely book.
Rosalind M
I kept thinking that with a tiny bit of tweaking, this would be a great plot for a family-friendly anime movie or a series. It has it all-- a young hero and heroine the audience could relate to, a foolish-seeming yet powerful adult figure, objects and animals with human-like behaviors, and a moral with potentially troubling shades of gray involved.
Lauralynn Elliott
This was a delightful book! It kept me constantly entertained with all the magic and fun, and I had a hard time putting it down. But don't think it doesn't have its serious moments. The book is about love, family, and sometimes making the wrong choices...and the consequences of those choices.
This book was amazing! and the ending was so cool! I wasnt reading it a lot in the beginning because I was busy, but it got to a point that i couldn't put it down~ I just had to find out what happened!
Linda Ash
This is a complete and utter gem of a book. I would highly recommend it to middle-grade readers. It would be at home on the shelves among other favorite and beloved stories of childhood.
Sep 02, 2011 Irwin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just won this book free as a goodreads giveaway! I am waiting to read it. Thanks.
Laura Beth
This ended up being a really good story. I would recommend it for ages 10 - 13
Teresa Carrigan
Well written juvenile fantasy. And the ebook is free on Amazon!
Wow . . . a seemingly simple story with so much depth . . .
I loved this book!!
Amazing. Loved it!
Michelle marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Austin marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover update! 4 19 May 05, 2014 10:50AM
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • The New Death and others
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • Freedom Incorporated
  • The Time Hunters (Time Hunters, #1)
  • Tracking Shadows (Shadows of Justice, #4)
  • Farewell to the Master
  • Dutch Fairy Tales for Young Folks
  • The Wonderful Visit
  • Dark Territory (The Tracks, #1)
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
  • The Man
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Demonology
  • Song of the Summer King
  • Untitled
  • The Society of Sinners (Sinners, #1)
  • Treespeaker (Treespeaker #1)
Christina Daley made her first book with neighborhood friends when she was four years old. They "wrote" out some semblance of lettering with crayons, cut up a cardboard box for the cover, and bound it all together with clear adhesive tape. It was brilliant.

Quite a few years later, Christina is trying her hand at writing "real" books. She lives in Dallas, Texas, with a pet plant named Herb.
More about Christina Daley...

Seranfyll (2 books)
  • Eligere (Seranfyll, #2)
Radiant Eligere (Seranfyll, #2)

“We're family, right? We foul up and say we're sorry and let it go.” 1 likes
“There is a land I've heard of beyond the shining sea
Her borders are all boundless, her citizens all free
Where Life is not a question, where Hope is not unseen
Her roads are paved with Mercy, her King rules with Peace
And as I go this narrow way, I hardly cannot wait
Until that one day that I may stand before her gates.”