Start by marking “The Coffin” as Want to Read:
The Coffin

The Coffin

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Since the birth of man, eternal life has been one of the species' greatest dreams. For Dr. Ashtar Ahmad, it has been more than a dream; it's been a lifelong obsession. And while he has not conquered death's rule over the body, he has found a way to keep the soul alive - a complex suit that houses the inner being of the deceased and allows them to go on living. When a group ...more
Published September 3rd 2001 by Oni Press (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Coffin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coffin

Kathleen

The artwork was what really drew me to this book: amazing imagery!

The story is what I give 4 out of 5 stars to. I think the underlying concept is pretty interesting (and the main villain reminds me of Kurzweil with his obsession with living forever haha) but I feel like the story could have been taken farther. In some ways, I have to consider that this is a very short book: only 4 comic-book issues long, so there's not a whole lot of room for in-depth explorations or lengthy story... So its a g
Aaron
Thrilling, smart, and full of big ideas about life and death. I flew through this book. The characters aren't given a ton of time, but what they're given works. The exploration of the soul comes across very manga, and pulls a lot of emotion and introspection out of a potentially trite idea. The plot moves swiftly, not wasting time with too much exposition. It's all laid out, and all you have to do is go along for the ride.
Curtis Schofield
Well executed - amazing art - thoughtful story - original concept.

I want to give it 5 stars - but -- i can't - I'm a hard man.
Matthew Purnell
I had originally read this book approximately ten years ago when it was first collected into a softcover trade paperback book, but this new 10th anniversary hardcover edition was definitely worth borrowing from the library in order to read "The Coffin" a second time. There is a brilliant narrative voice that runs through the entire story, the author wants you to hear what he has to say as much as the artist wants you to see and feel the texture of the objects he's drawn. Even though this comic b ...more
Krystl Louwagie
You know, I'd never heard of this graphic novel, and according to librarything, not that many people have it-so I didn't have too high of hopes for it. Although, I was very happy when my mom surprised me with a graphic novel from a library book sale-that doesn't happen very often!

Anyway, the plot here is an interesting one-the main character is a scientist working on how to be immortal. More specifically, he's making a suit that you go in before you die, and when you die, it traps your soul in
Ikea Monkey
Original concept, great execution, and character development. The art is laid out beautifully and it is done in a very original style. I also really liked the movie.
M
Doctor Ashar Ahmad has spent his life seeking a way to cheat death. With the revelation that his polymer suit technologies can capture the soul at the moment of death, Ahmad's usefulness to his employer is over. Forced to return in his steampunk bodysuit upon the destruction of his entire lab, Ahmad must come to grips with an existence beyond life - and the continued safety of a daughter he has never known. Intriguing premise that could use the chance for a lengthier leg stretch.
Lindsey.parks
This book was just so....imaginative, weird, odd, enthralling, crazy, and endearing. This truly blew me away. I haven't read a lot of comics but these mos def has reached the tops of my list. This was entirely too short and the perfect length at the same time. Great art, great everything.
Anthony
Really, really good. Excellent graphic storytelling and a perfect length for an origin story. It's been 10 years since the 4-issue arc was published, so this is beginning and ending. That is the only thing wrong with this amazing book.
Sergio
This one has everything going for it. A compelling premise, exceptional storytelling and pacing and very good drawings. The black and white coloring gives the art even more depth and impact. Very good.
J.S.
This book should average 5 stars and maybe more. Anything less is criminal. It's the most emotionally powerful illustrated story that I've ever read.
Sean Chick
Wonderful art combined with a rousing pulp story populated with great characters. The ending seemed a bit rushed though.
Brittany
"Really, what's the good of being a power-mad tycoon of you don't have the toys to match?" - Heller. Very dark. I like
Federiken Masters
Dec 29, 2010 Federiken Masters marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Federiken by: Ni idea
Ni idea de por qué to-readeé este libro pero la tapa parece bonita, así que queda ahí hasta nuevo aviso.
Stephen
Immediately joined the ranks of my favorite graphic novels of all time.
Holly Coveney
Holly Coveney marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Héctor Gómez Salazar
Héctor Gómez Salazar marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kaleb Goldbeck
Kaleb Goldbeck marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Katelin Keene
Katelin Keene marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Marpapad
Marpapad marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Matthew Groves
Matthew Groves marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • Deadpool, Vol. 6: Original Sin
  • Ultimate Hulk vs. Iron Man: Ultimate Human
  • Whiteout: Melt
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 3: Dangerous Liaisons
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 1: In the Service of Angels (Witchfinder, #1)
This Eisner Award-nominated artist was born in eastern Iowa, where he went on to study at the University of Iowa. His pencilling credits include Swamp Thing, Brave New World, Flinch, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Clerks: The Lost Scene, The Crow: Waking Nightmares, The Wretch (nominated for the 1997 Eisner Award for Best New Series), Aliens: Purge, and Green Arrow.

Since graduating from the University o
More about Phil Hester...
Days Missing Volume 1 The Darkness: Accursed, Volume 2 Deep Sleeper Days Missing, Volume 2: Kestus Firebreather, Volume 1: Growing Pains