Start by marking “The Coffin” as Want to Read:
The Coffin

The Coffin

Since the birth of man, eternal life has been one of the species' greatest dreams. For Dr. Ashtar Ahmad, it has been more than a dream; it's been a lifelong obsession. And while he has not conquered death's rule over the body, he has found a way to keep the soul alive - a complex suit that houses the inner being of the deceased and allows them to go on living. When a group ...more
Published September 16th 2001 by Oni Press (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Coffin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coffin

Kathleen
Jul 08, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The artwork was what really drew me to this book: amazing imagery!

The story is what I give 4 out of 5 stars to. I think the underlying concept is pretty interesting (and the main villain reminds me of Kurzweil with his obsession with living forever haha) but I feel like the story could have been taken farther. In some ways, I have to consider that this is a very short book: only 4 comic-book issues long, so there's not a whole lot of room for in-depth explorations or lengthy story... So its a g
Kylie
Aug 26, 2015 Kylie rated it liked it
The artwork is stylish, stylised in a realistic, mature way; no balloon-breasted women and steroid-abusing men here! The story is...fine, but it suffers from a samey feeling. It feels like something you have read or seen before (for me it drew Darkman to mind). It was a pleasant read but it's not going to set the world on fire.
Aaron
Sep 07, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it
Thrilling, smart, and full of big ideas about life and death. I flew through this book. The characters aren't given a ton of time, but what they're given works. The exploration of the soul comes across very manga, and pulls a lot of emotion and introspection out of a potentially trite idea. The plot moves swiftly, not wasting time with too much exposition. It's all laid out, and all you have to do is go along for the ride.
Curtis Schofield
Nov 09, 2010 Curtis Schofield rated it really liked it
Well executed - amazing art - thoughtful story - original concept.

I want to give it 5 stars - but -- i can't - I'm a hard man.
Matthew Purnell
Aug 31, 2011 Matthew Purnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had originally read this book approximately ten years ago when it was first collected into a softcover trade paperback book, but this new 10th anniversary hardcover edition was definitely worth borrowing from the library in order to read "The Coffin" a second time. There is a brilliant narrative voice that runs through the entire story, the author wants you to hear what he has to say as much as the artist wants you to see and feel the texture of the objects he's drawn. Even though this comic b ...more
Krystl Louwagie
Dec 21, 2011 Krystl Louwagie rated it really liked it
You know, I'd never heard of this graphic novel, and according to librarything, not that many people have it-so I didn't have too high of hopes for it. Although, I was very happy when my mom surprised me with a graphic novel from a library book sale-that doesn't happen very often!

Anyway, the plot here is an interesting one-the main character is a scientist working on how to be immortal. More specifically, he's making a suit that you go in before you die, and when you die, it traps your soul in
Ikea Monkey
Apr 21, 2015 Ikea Monkey rated it it was amazing
Original concept, great execution, and character development. The art is laid out beautifully and it is done in a very original style. I also really liked the movie.
M
Aug 29, 2014 M rated it really liked it
Doctor Ashar Ahmad has spent his life seeking a way to cheat death. With the revelation that his polymer suit technologies can capture the soul at the moment of death, Ahmad's usefulness to his employer is over. Forced to return in his steampunk bodysuit upon the destruction of his entire lab, Ahmad must come to grips with an existence beyond life - and the continued safety of a daughter he has never known. Intriguing premise that could use the chance for a lengthier leg stretch.
Lindsey.parks
Jun 26, 2014 Lindsey.parks rated it it was amazing
This book was just so....imaginative, weird, odd, enthralling, crazy, and endearing. This truly blew me away. I haven't read a lot of comics but these mos def has reached the tops of my list. This was entirely too short and the perfect length at the same time. Great art, great everything.
Anthony
Apr 28, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Really, really good. Excellent graphic storytelling and a perfect length for an origin story. It's been 10 years since the 4-issue arc was published, so this is beginning and ending. That is the only thing wrong with this amazing book.
Sergio
Jan 04, 2012 Sergio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one has everything going for it. A compelling premise, exceptional storytelling and pacing and very good drawings. The black and white coloring gives the art even more depth and impact. Very good.
J.S.
Apr 03, 2011 J.S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should average 5 stars and maybe more. Anything less is criminal. It's the most emotionally powerful illustrated story that I've ever read.
Sean Chick
Sep 10, 2013 Sean Chick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful art combined with a rousing pulp story populated with great characters. The ending seemed a bit rushed though.
Brittany
"Really, what's the good of being a power-mad tycoon of you don't have the toys to match?" - Heller. Very dark. I like
Feather Mista
Dec 29, 2010 Feather Mista marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Feather by: Ni idea
Ni idea de por qué to-readeé este libro pero la tapa parece bonita, así que queda ahí hasta nuevo aviso.
Stephen
Oct 04, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Immediately joined the ranks of my favorite graphic novels of all time.
Zanne
Jul 04, 2012 Zanne rated it liked it
11.95
Max Svalgard
Max Svalgard rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
Johanna Hakanen
Johanna Hakanen rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Paolo
Paolo marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Wayne Revell
Wayne Revell rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Ricardo López
Ricardo López marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Andrew
Andrew added it
Sep 18, 2016
Godbowstomaths
Godbowstomaths marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Ninja Panda
Ninja Panda marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Jerrad Oakes
Jerrad Oakes marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Michael Jones
Michael Jones rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
  • Pixu
  • Potter's Field
  • Rover Red Charlie
  • Mesmo Delivery
  • Baltimore, Vol. 1: The Plague Ships (Baltimore, #1)
  • Superior
  • Men of Wrath
  • The Killer, Volume 2
  • Torso
  • Whiteout: Melt
This Eisner Award-nominated artist was born in eastern Iowa, where he went on to study at the University of Iowa. His pencilling credits include Swamp Thing, Brave New World, Flinch, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up, Clerks: The Lost Scene, The Crow: Waking Nightmares, The Wretch (nominated for the 1997 Eisner Award for Best New Series), Aliens: Purge, and Green Arrow.

Since graduating from the University o
More about Phil Hester...