Stealing Magic: A Sixty Eight Rooms Adventure

Stealing Magic: A Sixty Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Ruthie and Jack thought that their adventures in the Thorne Rooms were over . . . until miniatures from the rooms start to disappear. Is it the work of the art thief who's on the loose in Chicago? Or has someone else discovered the secret of the Thorne Rooms' magic? Ruthie and Jack's quest to stop the thief takes them from modern day Chicago to 1937 Paris to antebellum Sou...more
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Magic

Ms. Yingling
Ruthie and Jack are still basking in the glow of having discovered an album of lost photographs from a famous artist, an album which turned up in the Thorne Rooms when they used a magic key to shrink down and get into them. When they meet Dora Pomeroy, a decorator who is studying the rooms, they realize that articles are missing, just as art is being stolen from famous collections around Chicago. While investigating, the two travel back to 1937 Paris and meet a Jewish girl. When they realize tha...more
Kelly Hager
After Jack and Ruthie realize that they can shrink and enter the 68 rooms in the Thorne Museum, their lives change. In the first book, they find missing photos and become local celebrities. They think their time in the rooms are over, but it turns out that's not true. In this book, they visit the museum and look at the rooms (from the outside, this time) and discover that a few of the rooms have missing objects. So...who's taking them? And how?

I love this series so much! I want to go to Chicago...more
Jaclyn Cotton
Review: Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure by Marianne Malone

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure is the second in a series of novels by Marianne Malone. Which are about two 12 year olds, Ruthie and Jack, who have discovered (in the first book) that with the help of an antique key that and as long as a female holds the key that whomever is holding on to her shrinks as well. And it would seem that shrinking doesn’t happened just anywhere, but happens...more
Dorine White
Today’s book review is a middle grade adventure entitled, Stealing magic: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure, by Marianne Malone. This book is the second in a cute series about two tweens who find out that the miniature doll rooms in a museum are more than just a display.

The Story: Ruthie and Jack think that all is well with the magic Thorne Rooms at their local museum, until they use their magic key to shrink and enter one of the rooms. Before, the rooms were alive, filled with magic, but now, some...more
Karissa
I got an eGalley of this book to review from the publisher. This book is a sequel to Sixty Eight Rooms, which I read last year and really enjoyed. This book was equally fun and I enjoyed the mystery and magic involved. It seems like there will probably be another book following this one.

Ruthie and Jack thought that their adventures in the Throne Rooms were over. But there are still mysteries to be solved. Historical items are being stole from the rooms and Ruthie and Jack are concerned that thes...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Ruthie and Jack discovered the magic of the Thorne Rooms located at the Chicago Art Institute in The Sixty-Eight Rooms. They made friends and solved mysteries, but their adventure didn't end with the discovery of Mr. Bell's photographs. Ruthie and Jack return to the Thorne Rooms only to discover a thief. Someone is taking objects from the Thorne Rooms!

Malone continues the magic of life in a museum. In Stealing Magic, a life-size mystery is revealed. She intertwines magical objects, art, technolo...more
Donna
Stealing Magic: A Sixty Eight Rooms Adventure

by Marianne Malone

Published by Random House Books for Young Readers

Publication date January 24, 2012

I loved this book!! It's just a fun book to read! Imagine finding a key that allows you to shrink small enough to fit into a dollhouse. That's sort of what happens in this book.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. I have to begin by saying I did not read the first book in this series, The SixtyEight Rooms. That will soon be rectified. I think, however, th...more
Jackie
After having found the magic key that allows Ruthie and Jack to shrink in size while near the miniature rooms of The Thorne Rooms in The Art Intitute of Chicago, the two amateur historians find that certain objects belonging in these rooms have gone missing. There is a thief on the loose and they are up to the challenge of finding out who's guilty.

Through Jack's mom, a talented artist, Jack and Ruthie meet Dora Pommeroy, an artist who is as keenly interested in the rooms are the kids are. Dora...more
Brett
Middle School-aged Chicago residents Ruthie & Jack are back to having adventures related to the famous Art Institute exhibit known as the Thorne Rooms in their second book, & they've got more history & individual lives to change. This time, they also have to protect the magical secret they've discovered about the Thorne Rooms from an adult interloper who intends to use the magic for personal gain. Kids will absolutely adore the idea of Ruthie & Jack being able to shrink to the si...more
Dan Rogers
Ruthie and Jack are back in another adventure involving the magic of the Thorne Rooms. This time they notice that items from some of the rooms have begun to disappear. Along with these disappearances is the loss of the magic that goes with them. For example, the outside world of that particular time period is no longer there. Is there a connection between the two?

This is not true for all of the rooms however as some of them still hold their magic. As the kids go into two of these worlds they ar...more
Ariel
Like the first one, the premise of the book is irresistible to anyone who knows the Art Institute of Chicago's Thorne Rooms, 68 dollhouse rooms perfectly constructed snd decorated in a wide variety of periods and places: to shrink, go into the rooms and from them out to the times and places they represent. In this end, someone is stealing the key objects that make each room come to life. But the writing is not as good as the ideas and the mystery is not very mysterious at all. Come on, we need a...more
Betsy
I wasn't too impressed by this book. Maybe I need to read the first one first. I love the concept though.
PWRL
Mar 24, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Shazzer
Another exciting installment in this clever series. Ruthie and Jack are still basking in the light of their exploits in the Thorne rooms when they discover another mystery in their path. An art thief is on the run, and objects are disappearing from the Thorne rooms as well! Ruthie and Jack use the magic of the rooms to help uncover the thief, and dig up more clues that point to the origin of the magic. A third book is forthcoming, and I know many kids will be glad to see it.
Caitlinleah
I love these books, though reading them is so awful. I keep whining about what an awful book this is, yet i can't stop. I continue to love the concept and really want to return to the thorne rooms now! but it's all just a mess. they are so rote, and so talking down to children. everything is so formulaic, and books should never have dreams in them unless it's absolutely essential to the plot, and even then three sentences will do. certainly not more than one dream is allowed!
Lisa Delacruz
Loved it! Can't wait for the next books! Highly recommended !!!
Great Books
Stealing Magic: A Sixty-Eight Room Adventure is the second in the series.

Twelve-year-old Jack and Ruthie use their magic key to shrink and enter the miniature Thorne Rooms at the Chicago Art Institute. There are magic portals that send them to exciting places in the past while they solve a mystery. Are the missing items from the Thorne Rooms related to the rash of art theft in Chicago? (Reviewer #5)
ReadingWench
I have really enjoying listening to Stealing Magic. Part time-travel, part mystery, part history, part contemporary, this book will appeal to girls and boys alike. This is not your typical historical novel. It brings history in a interesting way, living it, for only a short time, then returning to modern day.

The audio books brings alot more to the story than just the written word.

AR 5.0
Susan
Ruthie and Jack, who discovered the magic at the Art Institute of Chicago's famous miniature rooms, must go back when they find pieces from the rooms are missing. Someone else knows too much about the rooms, and they must find out who the culprit is. Some of the missing pieces were what keeps the rooms alive, and there's a girl in one of the rooms who must be warned of danger.
Matthew
I started this series, reading them aloud to my six year old daughter, as I knew we were going to be visiting the Chicago Art Institute. I thought this would give my daughter something to look forward to.

Malone develops two likable characters in Ruthie and Jack. I can only say that I wish that they spent more time on the history part of their adventures. My daughter loved it.
Laurel
Read with my daughter. These are such weird books. The pace, the plot, the characters - nothing flows. And why explore two huge topics (Nazi occupation of Paris and slavery) in one book in so little depth? One with more detail would have been better. Then there were the thefts from the Thorne Rooms to muddle through. Seems like a lot of potential with much better editing.
Alicia
Apr 10, 2012 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like adventure & fantasy
Shelves: kids-books
Elizabeth Cisewski
I thought this book was really good. It makes me want to see the actual rooms that are in Chicago. This book was fun, adventurous and exciting. It was amazingly creative of the author to think of this. I loved this book and I think anyone of any age should read this book. It is interesting to learn more about the rooms in Chicago.
Samantha Tai
I had a hard time getting into the second book but I did enjoy the mystery of the story. The book was a little predictable since I guessed the bad guy pretty early in the story. I am looking forward to the next book. I'm guessing the next book will have to do with Phoebe in Charleston, SC.
Angela
The eras of the these little rooms comes to life again--with plenty of opportunity for crime solving for our young duo. Very enjoyable. I see now how the author may be able to continue this series using the idea of rescuing or effecting the worlds reached through the miniature rooms' magic.
Meaghan
Very well done! I am very pleased with this second book in the 68 Rooms series. I hope Mrs. Malone decides to write another one as she has a talent for making history come alive in a most creative and fun way.
Lenna
I feel like this book should be titled Stealing Ideas. It has very similar characteristics to the Magic Treehouse series; including setting, plot and even character names/traits.
Mayrocks
I fished this book in less than hour. it was surprisingly short, but I enjoyed it all the same. it swept me through the story, spinning me through the book and releasing a in a haze of awe.
Catherine
Great continuation of the story started in the first book. Again, we have intrigue, mystery and magic to keep us turning pages. I could definitely pick up another book eagerly.
Aubrey

These books are so much fun. The stories are imaginative and the writing in this second book is better than the first. I couldn't put it down!
  • 3 Below (Floors, #2)
  • Spellbound (The Books of Elsewhere, #2)
  • Fear Itself
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #3)
  • Curse of the Ancients (Infinity Ring #4)
  • On the Road to Mr. Mineo's
  • Emily's Fortune
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6)
  • The Last Musketeer (The Last Musketeer, #1)
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
  • The Twilight Prisoner (Jack Perdu, #2)
  • Little Dog, Lost
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
The Sixty-Eight Rooms (Sixty-Eight Rooms #1) The Pirate's Coin: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure (Sixty-Eight Rooms #3) The Secret of the Key: A Sixty-Eight Rooms Adventure  (Sixty-Eight Rooms #4) The Secret of the Key