Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery, #1)

Endangered (Summer Westin Mystery #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Meet wildlife biologist and writer Summer "Sam" Westin, whose dream of saving the cougars is complicated when a boy vanishes from a campground in Utah...

A child has gone missing, and Sam Westin knows it's her fault. She nudged the boy down a dark path toward a man she presumed was his father. Now there's a media campaign targeting the cougars she helped rehabilitate and...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Berkley (first published 2009)

Nancy
Being a mystery fan and sharing territory with cougars, the goodreads giveaway of Endangered called me to click on it. I did. I won.

While hard to pigeonhole exactly, Endangered is more of a thriller than the procedurals I prefer but it definitely pulled me in after a few chapters. Was little Zach kidnapped, murdered, or eaten by cougars? This fast paced book throws plenty of conflicting clues out to the reader.

As a bonus, by tossing together characters with different backgrounds, Pamela Beason...more
Lori Tatar
"Endangered" is an engaging story that features a diminutive yet larger-than-life heroine who embraces the circumstances she finds herself in and follows her principles throughout. Pamela Beason has written a gripping novel that will have you questioning the sense in some of the decisions we make as a society, especially when overcome by a mob mentality. You will be amazed as the story ends, and cheering for the characters throughout. The ending is stunning, full of surprises.
Kim
Oct 27, 2011 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: mystery lovers and animal lovers
Recommended to Kim by: First Reads Win
My thoughts on Endangered in one word: wow.

I won this book through the First Reads giveaway and was very much looking forward to reading it. I have always been a big animal lover so the premise of the book hooked me in before I ever read a single word.

Let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. Pamela Beason weaves a tale so intense and pulse pounding, you feel like you're on the best roller coaster ever built. Her skill at creating tension is right up there with (if not better than) some of the big...more
Sonya
Endangered is a great book. I have always been excited about books that have animals in them, but this book was a good blend of the animal and human story. The story grabbed me form the beginning. The story of mountain lions and a missing boy was very well told. The characters were introduced carefully and in detail so you wanted to know more about them. It was intense story telling and the twists the story took were wonderful. I thought I had figured out the mystery a couple of times, but then...more
A.
Summer (Sam) Westin, aka Wilderness Westin to her "Save the Wilderness Fund" website followers, is in Utah's Heritage National Monument to do a follow-up on a previous story. A cougar had been shot and SWF had rescued the cougar and her cubs, treated the wounds and released them back to the park. Sam is hoping to get some photos of the cougars now to report their progress to SWF website. She had worked at the park in the past and still knows some of the park rangers. She is about to set off from...more
LORI CASWELL
Summer (Sam) Westin is a wildlife biologist and she recently helped rehabilitate a family of cougars and helped release them into the wild in a Utah National Park. Today she is back to do a follow-up report for a wildlife group. As she starts up the trail of the park where she worked as a Ranger for awhile she comes across a little lost boy. After she returns him safely to his father she is back on the trail hoping to get some pictures of her large feline friends.

Then she learns via her radio th...more
Christine
Summer “Sam” Westin is a wildlife biologist whose stint as a National Park Ranger has recently ended. She is now writing stories and taking photographs of cougars in the back country of Utah for “Save the Wilderness Fund” to raise awareness in protecting the area’s cougars. Her job of saving the cougars becomes harder than ever when a toddler disappears from a local campground and the media says young Zach could be the victim of a cougar attack.

I enjoy this type of outdoors mystery and like the...more
Ed
#1 in the Summer "Sam" Westin series. Somewhat clumsy, overwrought melodrama which should smooth out with future series entries. Our heroine is 37 years old with a peripatetic job history. Two years earlier she was a summer employee in the Park Service doing a wildlife survey. Now she has returned to the same park as a reporter for the Save the Wilderness Fund to report on cougars she has helped to rehabilitate and release. She gets involved in the search for a missing boy and, instead of acting...more
Sana
An engaging mystery novel with a lot of couch potential.

I judge a memorable novel by how well I identify with the characters and how engaging they are. Summer (Sam) Westin, the main protagonist of Pamela Beason’s mystery novel, “Endangered” is one such character.

She is a strong willed, wildlife biologist with a sharp tongue and quick wit. Tough on the outside, soft on the inside, Sam Westin is on a hunt to find the little, lost toddler Zachary Fischer whom she meets once in a chance encounter w...more
Raven
I received this book free from a Goodreads.com Giveaway.

Endangered is a great book. This is a story of rehabilitated Cougars and a missing boy. I don't usually like mystery books because for me the plots usually tend to be easy to figure out and honestly I thought I had figured this one out a couple of times. Yet, when I thought I had it all figured out something new would be presented and would send my thoughts going in a new or different direction. This book is very well written. This was a bo...more
Kate Vale
When things got really dicey, I wanted to shake the author and demand to know why she insisted on creating every mother's nightmare: the loss of a child in a National Park. By the time I got to the near-the-end scene of sounds (a child's cries, a waterfall) and my own fear that the Summer Westin wouldn't make it time, my own pulse was beating so rapidly I feared I'd never make it to the end of the novel and what I hoped was a happy ending. Thank God--it was!

A great read, even for people like me...more
Chanticleer Book Reviews Editorial
From Chanticleer Book Reviews

Endangered immediately drops us into the engagement of the story. A story about a child who disappears, wildlife that require protection while hunters loom, people who are tired, hurried, and focused on their own lives. People who are fallible with their good and not-so-good intentions. You will find many levels and many stories here, combined into one page-turning mystery.

Suspense, interesting characters, and settings are skillfully interwoven in this heart-engaging...more
Katharina Renn
Summer Westin ist Wildbiologin und schreibt Reportagen, die sie mit Naturaufnahmen verschönert. Gerade ist sie in ihrem Lieblingsnationalpark in Utah, um eine Reportage über die dort lebenden Berglöwen zu schreiben. Das klingt alles sehr schön und beneidenswert, doch schon an ihrem erstenTag lernt sie den zweijährigen Jungen Zachary kennen, der sich etwas zu weit von seiner Mutter entfernte. Als dieser kurze Zeit später als vermisst gemeldet wird, wird Sam klar, dass sie die letzte Person ist, d...more
Susan Pettrone
Sam Westin, star reporter for the Save the Wilderness Fund, finds herself in her element, in the wilds of Utah’s Heritage National Monument anticipating a sighting of Leto, a female cougar who had just survived a bullet shot. This would be the story of her life, Sam was sure of it, and it wouldn’t help readership either to have a picture to post of a cougar with a history like Leto in the park, possibly even with her cubs.

But first she needed to check in with the park ranger Kent Bergstrom. Afte...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: It was almost time.

Wildlife biologist and freelance writer Summer Westin is on assignment in southern Utah for the Save the Wilderness Fund. As she's about to hike out to her camp, she hears a mother calling for her child and has a little boy run into her, but before she can do anything, the little boy runs toward a man on the other side of the trees. Assuming the man is the child's father, she waves, the man waves back, and Summer heads out for her camp.

She arrives in time to take...more
C.J. Prince
After slogging through "Enemies: History of the FBI", I need a major change of pace. So I immediately thought of Pamela Beason's book sitting in the stack by the side of my bed. Beason's writing is gripping from the first paragraph. (More upon completion.)

"Endangered" is a book you don't want to put down. Summer Westin who goes by "Sam" is a wildlife biologist assigned to photograph and blog about cougars in Utah. When Sam Westin is the last person to have seen missing two and a half year old Za...more
Endangered is a wonderful book. I won the book in a Firstreads giveaway. I was intrigued with the premise of the book - child goes missing in an area with cougars, was he kidnapped or killed by the cougars? There was a good amount of information (just enough not too much) about cougars and the need to save not hunt them. I was taken in from the first page. I loved the depth of information given about the characters and it actually left me wanting to know more them. The story took many twists and...more
Sharon Larsen randall
Living where there are mountain lions, I do not like that people in this book just jumped to the conclusion that a lion was responsible. A nice read.
Janice
Similar to reading a Nevada Barr novel, this book features a young woman who is a wildlife biologist, and who is working in Utah, trying to capture photos of the local mountain lions. There are great descriptions of this wildlife setting, and the story is suspenseful and kept me captivated. I hope this author develops this as a series, I want to read more.

Marie
The description of Endangered piqued my curiousity so I decided to enter the first reads giveaway and to my delight I won! This is a tale of a boy gone missing at a campground in Utah and the biologist/writer trying to save the cougars. Suspenceful book that will keep you routing for the good guys and animals.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Solid mystery with a strong environmental component. The main character is a freelance reporter for an environmental website that stumbles upon a missing child investigation while researching (and trying to protect) cougars in a national park.
Pat
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. It's got action in the great outdoors,a go-getter of a heroine, and terrific suspense. The writer also has a save-the-animals theme that's not overbearing.
Sara Stamey
This is a fun read, a solid mystery with a great outdoors/adventure setting, and I learned about wildlife biology along the way. A strong female protagonist and some romance didn't hurt!
Cindy
ENDANGERED will keep you guessing from the first page, and you'll find yourself up until the wee hours of the morning to find out who the villain is. Not a dull moment in this one.
Brittany eggleston
Book is about a child going missing the book has a bitter sweet ending. The ending of the book is really sad but happy.
Rhonda Birchfield
This book was a page turn. it had me in suspense the whole time and scared for the two year old little boy. wonderful read.
Vickie
A little danger, a lot of adventure in rugged territory, mix in some romance, and you get a great read. I recommend it!,
An unexpected gripping mystery that had me on the edge of my seat.
Sara Tuschen
Storyline was good. Characters did not grab me.
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Pamela Beason lives in the Pacific Northwest, where she writes novels and screenplays and works as a private investigator. When she's not on the job, she explores the natural world on foot, in cross-country skis, in her kayak, or underwater scuba diving.

Beason is the author of seven full-length fiction works: THE ONLY WITNESS, THE ONLY CLUE (books 1 and 2 of the Neema Mystery Series), SHAKEN, CALL...more
More about Pamela Beason...
The Only Witness Shaken Bear Bait (Summer Westin Mystery, #2) Call of the Jaguar Undercurrents