Start by marking “Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)” as Want to Read:
Evan Blessed (Constable Evans, #9)

Evan Blessed (Constable Evans #9)

Constable Evan Evans is almost done planning his wedding. Just as he is ready to relax, he meets a hiker whose girlfriend has gone missing on Mt. Snowdon. A search for the girl yields no trace but instead turns up a bunker complete with chains and handcuffs. Are the two related? And if so, where is the girl being held?

A series of clues make Evan and the police realize that
Published August 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Evan Blessed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evan Blessed

Tasula
Aug 21, 2011 Tasula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this mystery in the long series of Highland police detective Evan Evans, he is about to get married to Bronwen, when a tourist reports his girlfriend is missing in the mountains. While searching for the disappeared woman, police find a bunker but no woman. I thought the mystery was pretty good, but the series is a bit too gentle for me, and also the wedding preparations, interfering mother and some old fashioned ideas about male/female roles were just not my cup of tea. I find Bowen's Royal S ...more
Leah
Mar 07, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this series! It's light enough that I'm not left feeling evil and gross afterwards, and there is just the right amount of suspense, humor, and romance (maybe I would like a bit more of this) :) But it's not offensive in any way--there is a smidgen of adult humor and some innuendo, but overall I LOVE these books and all of Rhys Bowen's books for that matter! She is a great author and I'm glad I stumbled upon her.
Leslie
Apr 16, 2011 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Evan Evans series has been a favorite of mine from the beginning, and knowing that this is the penultimate book in that series made me delay reading it and the last book for some time. But I read it, loved it, and never saw the solution coming. And who wouldn't want to live in this Welsh town? Aaah, bliss!
Paula
Jun 18, 2014 Paula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-log, june-2014
Not bad, but I knew who the murderer was about halfway through the book
Sandra Holladay
Oct 29, 2016 Sandra Holladay rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
I think this was the best of the Constable Evans series; exciting, lots of tension but still light, good plotting, good characterization.
Kathy Davie
Nov 18, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Ninth in the Constable Evans mystery series set in a small village in Wales.

My Take
Well, I'm prejudiced! I love cottages and Welsh dressers so naturally, I love this installment in the series! It's also some pretty clever detective work on Evans' part that enables them to solve both missing cases and a couple of cold cases.

I can understand being angry about losing the opportunity to pursue a career desired from childhood. I cannot understand killing someone over it. I might fantasize about it
Hal
Jan 12, 2014 Hal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am new to the world of mysteries. I only started to explore this genre in the fall of 2013. In the past, I read only literary fiction and biographies.

At this point, I have read most of Rhys Bowen's Constable Evans series, and this volume was my favorite. It is tightly written and devilishly plotted. It is certainly more intense than other books in this series. It is probably as close to a thriller as I have ever read.

What I like most about serial novels is that we get to know the characters.
Bonnie
Jul 23, 2014 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diolch yn fawr(Welsh for Thank you very much) Rhys Bowen for writing this wonderful series. It is two weeks before the wedding of Evan and Bronwen and Evan has just finished unloading the last boxes into the new home he and his bride have chosen. He runs into a teenager whose girlfriend has gone missing on Mt. Snowdon and despite his apprehensions about getting involved in a new case, Evan cannot resist helping the worried hiker. A search yields no trace of the girl but does turn up a well-stock ...more
Ed
#9 in the Evan Evans series. In this 2005 entry, the Welsh Detective Constable has his penultimate adventure in the 9th entry of a 10 book series. As his wedding preparations proceed, it seems he might prefer searching for an axe murderer to getting his mother to be civil to his fiancée. On the work front, his search for a kidnapper arrives at two conclusions, one that seemed obvious and one that was well hidden though the obscure clues lead not to the villain but to a series of revelations that ...more
Sally
Mar 20, 2013 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I like this series by Rhys Bowen, and it has been some time since I "visited" Evan Evans and the Welsh countryside, so I especially enjoyed this one with Evan's and Bronwyn's approaching wedding. I thought the mystery was a good one, with the criminal culprit being disguised enough to keep you guessing on the who-done-it.

In this particular audiobook, the reader uses what I suppose to be a Welsh accent. I don't know how accurate the accent might be, having never been to Wales, but at times the cl
LJ
EVAN BLESSED (Police Procedural-Wales-Cont) – VG
Bowen, Rhys – 9th in series
St. Martin's Minatour, 2005- Hardcover)
Constable Evan Evans is approached by a young many whose girlfriend has disappeared while they were hiking on Mt. Snowdon. In searching for her, the police find an underground bunker with handcuffs affixed to the wall. Clues are sent directly to Evan, but when Bronwen disappears, it becomes personal.
*** Evan is a well-drawn character who has a good relationship with his superior. He
Alice
Aug 31, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A patron at the library told me about Rhys Nowen's Molly Murphy mysteries, but unfortunately when I went to the stacks we were sadly missing most of them, and some how I ended up picking up one from her series with Constable Evan Evans. I am not one to start with #9, but we are missing so many once I realized it was #9, I was far enough into it that I decided to just keep reading it. I am now a big Bowen fan. This is my kind of mystery--not too complicated, but I loved the Welsh setting and char ...more
D. Eric
Dec 07, 2009 D. Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The 9th book in the series continues to take the Evans saga toward a harder edge, but in the end shies away from getting too gruesome (or even gruesome at all). Still, the relative innocence of the series will appeal to some who enjoy the mystery but are really captivated by the lives of Evans and the people of Llanfair.

In this installment Evans must solve solve not only the mystery of a missing hiker, but also the abduction of his wife to be. One way or another the book finally resolves Evan's
Mark Baker
Mar 16, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2005
It's two weeks before Evan's wedding, and he's focusing on the family dynamics this is unleashing. Then a young woman goes missing, and Evan gets involved in the hunt. Can he find her and keep peace in his family? It's always nice to visit these characters. The plot did bog down a bit in the middle, but the characters noticed and commented on the lack of progress as well. And about that point, things picked up again and raced to the finish.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
George
Jul 21, 2007 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British Mystery Readers
A North Wales Detective Constable Evan Evans mystery. On the eve of his wedding, Evans becomes involved with a missing girl case which escalates when an underground bunker is discovered which looks like a place for holding a person. Further complications develop as Evans' fiancee is kidnapped.

The novel follows the pattern of earlier novels in this series but losses much of the humor of earlier novels with the reduction in appearances of the Llanfair villagers who frequented the novels when Evans
Kae Cheatham
Feb 04, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Welsh constable Evan Evans is preparing for his wedding when a girl goes missing on the mountain. While investigating her disappearance, the police discover an unused bunker that seems to be set up for holding a captive. Is it related to their case? All angles must be pursued, and then Evan gets odd musically-coded messages that suggest Evan is more involved than just an officer on the case.

Good tension and believable characters. Good sense of place. An intricate story that took the discoveries
Ceejay
Aug 17, 2016 Ceejay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhys Bowen proves again that she is one of the very best modern day mystery writers. Besides never cheating us on the mystery side of her novels, she also perfectly balances her stories with tales of the personal lives of her characters. In this story Constable Evans has to deal with a missing teenager and also threats to himself and his fiance! The threats come in the form of clues that he is expected to solve before.........well, I don't give away plots. This novel is exciting, and as always, ...more
Julie
Mar 31, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evan Blessed by Rhys Bowen is the 9th book in a series, however, I had no problem following the story or delighting in the characters. This mystery series is set in Wales. Recently promoted D.C. Evans lives in a quaint town filled with quirky characters. In Evan Blessed, Evan Evans’ and his betrothed’s—Bronwyn--preparations for the upcoming nuptials and the arrival of their parents are interrupted by a report of a missing hiker. Clues abound, the plot thickens, and Evans must put together pieces ...more
Lauren
Mar 15, 2010 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is great if you like the modern day scenarios of crime scene. Forensic stuff and psycho/twisted predators are too much for my imagination, so I had to put the book down. I guess I can only handle mysteries about thievery. I got as far as the handcuffs shackled to a wall in a mysterious forest bunker, and then the predator seething from anger that his abduction plan had been foiled and I had to put it down. The pacing of the book seemed exciting as far as I got into the book. I ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
A horrible discovery is made when DC Evans goes to search for a missing hiker. The discovery will change the gentle sense that we have grown to love in the village of Llanfair.

Can it get worse and will it?

I was slightly disturbed by the direction this book took us. Although, in today's world there is no 'Camelot,' I had grown comfortable with the security found within the pages of this series.

This book is indeed, edgier and DC Evans finds himself and his beloved in peril. Read it and tell me w
Ginia
Heather
Mar 10, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This was a great cozy mystery. Funny and intriguing at the same time. The writing reminded me a little of Maeve Binchy's style. I enjoyed this book from start to finish and look forward to reading more in the series. Even though it seems that I started with #9 in the series, I never once felt like I was missing anything. The characters were fully defined, and nothing was assumed by the author. I was impressed!
Kathy Moberg
Sep 28, 2013 Kathy Moberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was "buried" in my piles of books to read. I enjoyed it very much and it made me realize how much I've missed the Constable Evans mysteries. It's been a long time since new one came out... I hope we'll get to see how things are going for Evan, Bronwen and all the quirky characters again one of these days!
Joan Henges
Wales has its ups and downs

Which Constable Evans must negotiate with care especially when his fiancee goes missing! Traps and pitfalls abound... literally as well as figuratively.
Olivia Hill
I enjoyed this detective novel. Perhaps it's the Irish in me that loves the down to earth, unassuming naturing of DC Evans. Story was well told and even though the killer was revealed before the end, the plot was still gripping. I recommend it to detective enthusiasts.
Tracy
May 08, 2014 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, clean mystery. It took place in Wales--which I liked. One complaint is I wish they had spent more time on the one case at the end. I don't want to say much and give it away--but I wish there was more "wrap up" for that one.
Jill Nix
I loved the entire series. The author has stated this series is very hard to write , and I believe this is the last book. The characters are funny and realistic. This part of England (Wales) is not written about often.
Nov 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
One of my favorites of the series. Extremely suspenseful, much more so than the others. I didn't want to put it down! The mystery was somewhat complex, especially with the "surprises" at the end.
Betsy
May 06, 2015 Betsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book as much as some of the others because of the selfish females involved. In fact, Mrs. Evans was a turn-off. The mystery was typical of so many crime stories so that detracted as well. Too bad since this was really a great series, all in all.
Patricia
May 31, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my recent flurry of reading, I somehow read this and did not add it to the goodreads' list. I did read it. Maybe I added it here under a different edition? Anyway, I think Rhys Bowen's writings improve with each Evan Evans mystery in the series. I'm looking forward to book 10.
  • Death of a Valentine (Hamish Macbeth, #25)
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • Home Fires (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #6)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Constable Evans (10 books)
  • Evans Above (Constable Evans, #1)
  • Evan Help Us (Constable Evans, #2)
  • Evanly Choirs  (Constable Evans, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Evan Can Wait (Constable Evans, #5)
  • Evans to Betsy (Constable Evans, #6)
  • Evan Only Knows (Constable Evans, #7)
  • Evan's Gate (Constable Evans, #8)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)