Start by marking “Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer” as Want to Read:
Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  141 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Six easy steps to making world-class beer in your kitchen! Beer Craft by William Bostwick and Jessi Rymill is your guide to drinking the best beer you've ever tasted—by making it yourself. This kitchen manual has everything you need to turn your stove into a small-batch, artisanal brewery. Hone your craft by perfecting the basic beer styles, or go wild with specialty techn ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Beer Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer Craft

Sagely
Jul 05, 2015 Sagely rated it liked it
Recently I've converted to one gallon brewing. The truth is, I'll never drink 53 beers of whatever I've home-brewed (especially if the results are less than impressive). I share with friends, but pastors have to be careful to whom they hand out free beer. (You never want to send someone back down a dark road they've been struggling so hard to leave behind.)

Beer Craft presents a fairly usable intro to one gallon home brewing (though the layout ad text colors sometimes make for hard reading). It's
Brad
Jul 23, 2011 Brad rated it really liked it
Great little book about beginning all-grain homebrewing in simple one-gallon batches. The book is very well designed and is filled with interesting and informative graphics. Also starts with a nice little history of beer where I learned quite a few things. The book is small and will come in handy for someone trying to follow along and use as an instruction manual when trying out their first homebrew. Does a great job of describing the different varieties of the different ingredients, giving some ...more
Jenny
Jan 30, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
A great little book for anyone looking to start home brewing. Or that just wants to learn more about beer brewing in general. It is well organized and concise with tons of great beer information. The graphics really help illustrate many of the facts and info in the book. A great resource for any home brewer. Thoroughly enjoyable and quick read.
Ashlie
Feb 22, 2012 Ashlie rated it liked it
Way more style than substance, which annoyed me and made me want to rate it 1 star, but the substance that is there salvaged the rating. The main idea in the book is brewing one gallon, all-grain batches which allows the brewer to easily try different styles. The book provides (very) basic recipes and ideas for adapting them to the brewer's preferences. There were some good ideas on decorating bottles -- I particularly like the idea of the fired-on labels -- and bottle caps in order to add one's ...more
Ken
May 26, 2015 Ken rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little reference that's a handy guide for starting out with homebrewing or getting more info about the history and current state of the hobby. Very well laid out with sections that allow it to serve -in my opinion- more as a reference than narrative text.
Philipp Muellauer
Nov 16, 2015 Philipp Muellauer rated it really liked it
Shelves: brewing
Great intro. Beautiful graphics. Makes home brewing very approachable.
Steven Raines
Aug 05, 2012 Steven Raines rated it it was amazing
One of the bedtime home brewing books I have in my collection, this is just a very straight forward guide to all grain brewing. Definitely not for the experienced brewer, but a great choice for new brewers or the occasional brewer looking for simple step by step instructions. Recipes included are for basic styles with instructions on how to make modifications (hoppier, maltier, spiced, etc). I especially like that the book explains beer making for 1 gallon batches (10-12oz bottles) which suit sm ...more
Alex Podolsky
Feb 20, 2012 Alex Podolsky rated it it was amazing
Perfect for a beginning brewer who is really interested in learning about the ideas behind beer. Builds a foundation that's sufficient to go and start brewing, but then offers a ton of detail and opens a window on the variety that's possible in the world of beer. While it may seem overwhelming at times, the easy-to-follow design and an understandable language make it a great introduction for a beginner.
Clif Brittain
Mar 29, 2013 Clif Brittain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beer
I love this. Exactly where I want to be: newbie, all-grain, small batch, MacGyver brewer. Extra bonus that book has very neat graphics. Love bar charts with stubbie bottles as icons. Not as complete as Palmer, but great first brew book. My brew library would now be 1. Bostwick, 2. Palmer, 3. Miller.
Katia
Jul 11, 2011 Katia rated it really liked it
Super easy and fun read which I finished over the weekend. Cute graphics full of info. I was hoping for the video tutorials they said could be found on their site, but was unable to find them. The blog is good and informative. Super excited to start brewing this fall. Need to buy some equipment.
Dale
Dec 26, 2011 Dale rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for anyone who is just getting started as a home brewer. I purchased this book because it had recipes for one gallon batches of home brew, where most other books concentrated on five gallon batch recipes. Easy to read, straight forward and packed with great information.
LINDA
Sep 14, 2011 LINDA rated it it was amazing
One of the most simple and most useful Beer Brewing books that I have come across! A fun read that inspires you to get your brew on! P. 148 had instructions to fire-on a permanent label to your bottles at home!
Dec 30, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beer
This is a brilliantly-designed book that completely demystifies all-grain brewing. I got it from the library and promptly ordered a copy for myself after reading it.
Robert Haight
Jul 22, 2012 Robert Haight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
This was a great book, I think it should be the equilvient of Mao's little red book for home brewers. They should carry it with them always.
Doug
Oct 07, 2012 Doug rated it it was amazing
I liked this book and have tried some of the recipes with good results. It is a good starter book for small all grain batches.
Du
Dec 06, 2011 Du rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fun book to flip through. It is very graphically presented, and easy to follow. Not too in depth, and not too advanced.
Jason
Jun 18, 2012 Jason added it
Can't say much for the recipes yet, but the history and little tidbits from well known brewers were great reads.
Jen
Dec 12, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
This book is too cool! It's got excellent illustrations and recipes. Makes me want to start a brewery, that's for sure!
Alex
Apr 18, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
A bit simplistic but incredibly well designed and invaluable for anyone striving to experiment with one-gallon batches.
Tim Atkinson
Aug 28, 2011 Tim Atkinson rated it it was amazing
Love it. Can't wait to brew up our first batch. Think we're going to start with a Pale Ale.
Kevin
May 27, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brewing
GREAT book, but for a small batch. I think it compliments other "beginning" brew books.
Ellen
May 17, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
This book is lovely--as much graphic triumph as handy guide to brewing your own beer.
Kyle
Jul 10, 2013 Kyle rated it really liked it
Great quick read. Would highly recommend this book as a good reference guide.
Kevin Gallan
Apr 03, 2016 Kevin Gallan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, own
great book about making small batches of beer
Bryan Zorko
Oct 15, 2011 Bryan Zorko rated it really liked it
Excellent reference with attractive graphics
Alejandro serrano
Alejandro serrano rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
John Mullen
John Mullen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Tricia Millner
Tricia Millner rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Juliet P
Juliet P rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches
  • Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer: Recipes and Techniques from the Leading American Microbrewery
  • Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
  • Brewing Better Beer: Master Lesson for Advanced Homeowners
  • The Beer Bible
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • Farmhouse Ales: Culture and Craftsmanship in the Belgian Tradition
  • IPA: Brewing Techniques, Recipes and the Evolution of India Pale Ale
  • Speed Brewing: Recipes with Short Brew Days and Fast Fermentations for the Busy Brewer
  • Let it Be