Start by marking “Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer” as Want to Read:
Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Six easy steps to making world-class beer in your kitchen! Beer Craft by William Bostwick and Jessi Rymill is your guide to drinking the best beer you’ve ever tasted—by making it yourself. This kitchen manual has everything you need to turn your stove into a small-batch, artisanal brewery. Hone your craft by perfecting the basic beer styles, or go wild with specialty techn ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Beer Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer Craft

Recently I've converted to one gallon brewing. The truth is, I'll never drink 53 beers of whatever I've home-brewed (especially if the results are less than impressive). I share with friends, but pastors have to be careful to whom they hand out free beer. (You never want to send someone back down a dark road they've been struggling so hard to leave behind.)

Beer Craft presents a fairly usable intro to one gallon home brewing (though the layout ad text colors sometimes make for hard reading). It's
Great little book about beginning all-grain homebrewing in simple one-gallon batches. The book is very well designed and is filled with interesting and informative graphics. Also starts with a nice little history of beer where I learned quite a few things. The book is small and will come in handy for someone trying to follow along and use as an instruction manual when trying out their first homebrew. Does a great job of describing the different varieties of the different ingredients, giving some ...more
A great little book for anyone looking to start home brewing. Or that just wants to learn more about beer brewing in general. It is well organized and concise with tons of great beer information. The graphics really help illustrate many of the facts and info in the book. A great resource for any home brewer. Thoroughly enjoyable and quick read.
Way more style than substance, which annoyed me and made me want to rate it 1 star, but the substance that is there salvaged the rating. The main idea in the book is brewing one gallon, all-grain batches which allows the brewer to easily try different styles. The book provides (very) basic recipes and ideas for adapting them to the brewer's preferences. There were some good ideas on decorating bottles -- I particularly like the idea of the fired-on labels -- and bottle caps in order to add one's ...more
Fantastic little reference that's a handy guide for starting out with homebrewing or getting more info about the history and current state of the hobby. Very well laid out with sections that allow it to serve -in my opinion- more as a reference than narrative text.
Steven Raines
One of the bedtime home brewing books I have in my collection, this is just a very straight forward guide to all grain brewing. Definitely not for the experienced brewer, but a great choice for new brewers or the occasional brewer looking for simple step by step instructions. Recipes included are for basic styles with instructions on how to make modifications (hoppier, maltier, spiced, etc). I especially like that the book explains beer making for 1 gallon batches (10-12oz bottles) which suit sm ...more
Alex Podolsky
Perfect for a beginning brewer who is really interested in learning about the ideas behind beer. Builds a foundation that's sufficient to go and start brewing, but then offers a ton of detail and opens a window on the variety that's possible in the world of beer. While it may seem overwhelming at times, the easy-to-follow design and an understandable language make it a great introduction for a beginner.
Clif Brittain
I love this. Exactly where I want to be: newbie, all-grain, small batch, MacGyver brewer. Extra bonus that book has very neat graphics. Love bar charts with stubbie bottles as icons. Not as complete as Palmer, but great first brew book. My brew library would now be 1. Bostwick, 2. Palmer, 3. Miller.
Super easy and fun read which I finished over the weekend. Cute graphics full of info. I was hoping for the video tutorials they said could be found on their site, but was unable to find them. The blog is good and informative. Super excited to start brewing this fall. Need to buy some equipment.
Excellent book for anyone who is just getting started as a home brewer. I purchased this book because it had recipes for one gallon batches of home brew, where most other books concentrated on five gallon batch recipes. Easy to read, straight forward and packed with great information.
One of the most simple and most useful Beer Brewing books that I have come across! A fun read that inspires you to get your brew on! P. 148 had instructions to fire-on a permanent label to your bottles at home!
Dec 30, 2012 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: beer
This is a brilliantly-designed book that completely demystifies all-grain brewing. I got it from the library and promptly ordered a copy for myself after reading it.
Robert Haight
This was a great book, I think it should be the equilvient of Mao's little red book for home brewers. They should carry it with them always.
I liked this book and have tried some of the recipes with good results. It is a good starter book for small all grain batches.
This is a fun book to flip through. It is very graphically presented, and easy to follow. Not too in depth, and not too advanced.
Jun 18, 2012 Jason added it
Can't say much for the recipes yet, but the history and little tidbits from well known brewers were great reads.
This book is too cool! It's got excellent illustrations and recipes. Makes me want to start a brewery, that's for sure!
A bit simplistic but incredibly well designed and invaluable for anyone striving to experiment with one-gallon batches.
Tim Atkinson
Love it. Can't wait to brew up our first batch. Think we're going to start with a Pale Ale.
GREAT book, but for a small batch. I think it compliments other "beginning" brew books.
This book is lovely--as much graphic triumph as handy guide to brewing your own beer.
Great quick read. Would highly recommend this book as a good reference guide.
Bryan Zorko
Excellent reference with attractive graphics
Elena marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Jonathan is currently reading it
Sep 08, 2015
Megeeza marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Harald Vøyle
Harald Vøyle marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mia marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Naked Pint: An Unadulterated Guide to Craft Beer
  • Stone Brewing Co.'s Guide to Craft Beer: Recipes and Techniques from the Leading American Microbrewery
  • Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
  • Extreme Brewing: An Enthusiast's Guide to Brewing Craft Beer at Home
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • Speakeasy: The Employees Only Guide to Classic Cocktails Reimagined
  • CloneBrews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers
  • 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die (Revised & Updated)
  • Putting Food By
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • The Monocle Guide to Better Living
  • The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Finders Keepers: The Story of a Man Who Found $1 Million