Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Six easy steps to making world-class beer in your kitchen! Beer Craft is your guide to drinking the best beer you’ve ever tasted—by making it yourself. This kitchen manual has everything you need to turn your stove into a small-batch, artisanal brewery. Hone your craft by perfecting the basic beer styles, or go wild with specialty techniques like barrel-aging and brewing w...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Beer Craft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beer Craft

Brad
Great little book about beginning all-grain homebrewing in simple one-gallon batches. The book is very well designed and is filled with interesting and informative graphics. Also starts with a nice little history of beer where I learned quite a few things. The book is small and will come in handy for someone trying to follow along and use as an instruction manual when trying out their first homebrew. Does a great job of describing the different varieties of the different ingredients, giving some...more
Ashlie
Way more style than substance, which annoyed me and made me want to rate it 1 star, but the substance that is there salvaged the rating. The main idea in the book is brewing one gallon, all-grain batches which allows the brewer to easily try different styles. The book provides (very) basic recipes and ideas for adapting them to the brewer's preferences. There were some good ideas on decorating bottles -- I particularly like the idea of the fired-on labels -- and bottle caps in order to add one's...more
Steven Raines
One of the bedtime home brewing books I have in my collection, this is just a very straight forward guide to all grain brewing. Definitely not for the experienced brewer, but a great choice for new brewers or the occasional brewer looking for simple step by step instructions. Recipes included are for basic styles with instructions on how to make modifications (hoppier, maltier, spiced, etc). I especially like that the book explains beer making for 1 gallon batches (10-12oz bottles) which suit sm...more
Alex Podolsky
Perfect for a beginning brewer who is really interested in learning about the ideas behind beer. Builds a foundation that's sufficient to go and start brewing, but then offers a ton of detail and opens a window on the variety that's possible in the world of beer. While it may seem overwhelming at times, the easy-to-follow design and an understandable language make it a great introduction for a beginner.
Clif Brittain
I love this. Exactly where I want to be: newbie, all-grain, small batch, MacGyver brewer. Extra bonus that book has very neat graphics. Love bar charts with stubbie bottles as icons. Not as complete as Palmer, but great first brew book. My brew library would now be 1. Bostwick, 2. Palmer, 3. Miller.
Katia
Super easy and fun read which I finished over the weekend. Cute graphics full of info. I was hoping for the video tutorials they said could be found on their site, but was unable to find them. The blog is good and informative. Super excited to start brewing this fall. Need to buy some equipment.
Dale
Excellent book for anyone who is just getting started as a home brewer. I purchased this book because it had recipes for one gallon batches of home brew, where most other books concentrated on five gallon batch recipes. Easy to read, straight forward and packed with great information.
LINDA
One of the most simple and most useful Beer Brewing books that I have come across! A fun read that inspires you to get your brew on! P. 148 had instructions to fire-on a permanent label to your bottles at home!
Dec 30, 2012 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: beer
This is a brilliantly-designed book that completely demystifies all-grain brewing. I got it from the library and promptly ordered a copy for myself after reading it.
Robert Haight
This was a great book, I think it should be the equilvient of Mao's little red book for home brewers. They should carry it with them always.
Doug
I liked this book and have tried some of the recipes with good results. It is a good starter book for small all grain batches.
Du
This is a fun book to flip through. It is very graphically presented, and easy to follow. Not too in depth, and not too advanced.
Jason
Jun 18, 2012 Jason added it
Can't say much for the recipes yet, but the history and little tidbits from well known brewers were great reads.
Jen
This book is too cool! It's got excellent illustrations and recipes. Makes me want to start a brewery, that's for sure!
Alex
A bit simplistic but incredibly well designed and invaluable for anyone striving to experiment with one-gallon batches.
Tim Atkinson
Love it. Can't wait to brew up our first batch. Think we're going to start with a Pale Ale.
Kevin
GREAT book, but for a small batch. I think it compliments other "beginning" brew books.
Ellen
This book is lovely--as much graphic triumph as handy guide to brewing your own beer.
Kyle
Great quick read. Would highly recommend this book as a good reference guide.
Bryan Zorko
Excellent reference with attractive graphics
Jonathan Rohr
Jonathan Rohr marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Andy
Andy added it
Jul 10, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Christopher M.
Christopher M. marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014