Lonely Millionaire

Lonely Millionaire

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,233 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Dear Mr. Lonely....Mandy Clayton never answered personal ads, but this was one she couldn't resist and now she was falling for a guy she'd never met.

Adam Gray was not interested in a mail-order romance, but he was willing to write some love letters for his friend. Then he had to go "check out" the bride to be. Off he went on an undercover job at Mandy's Bed and Breakfast...more
Published May 6th 2011 (first published December 1st 1994)

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Characters We Wish Existed
366th out of 828 books — 624 voters
Blue Jeans and Coffee Beans by Joanne DeMaioFallen Too Far by Abbi GlinesSomeone Like You by Sarah DessenWhole Latte Life by Joanne DeMaioChasing Forever Down by Nikki Godwin
Beach Covers
73rd out of 159 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Honour
Why I liked this book....

Let's see. It had a predictable enough premise and I thought at the very beginning that I would be able to anticipate each move the author makes without much effort.
Within the first three chapters the basic theme is set.
A woman, Mandy, who runs a failing bed and breakfast answers an ad in Yokun Man at the prodding of her sister and begins a regular correspondence with a man called Jake, who claims to be a millionaire in search of a wife.
Some months later, another man, a...more
Zury
Oct 04, 2011 Zury rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantics
A quick simple read that I rather enjoyed. I didn't expect much from this story since it was a freebie on Amazon but it was featured and sounded interesting so I gave it a shot, especially with pretty good reviews from most readers.

I was pleasantly surprised. Had a good story that kept you interested about a woman running her own Bed & Breakfast and answering an advertisement based on a dare from her sister. Eventually it would change her life from having no prospects of men to two men inte...more
Rachel
We have our heroine Mandy struggling, she's been hurt in the past by her ex-fiance and her best friend. Her new focus in life has become her Bed and Breakfast, now if only the customers would come.

It takes a call from her sister who lives with her when she's not out of town (she's a flight attendant) to ask about her copy of "Yukon man" that has Mandy answering an ad.

Mandy's sister dares her sister to answer an ad with the headline "Lonely Millionaire." they think it's a joke at first and so Man...more
Kathie (katmom)
The girl was DUMB...peeps keep reminding her about what's in her B&B brochure...you'd think SHE would remember putting in BABYSITTING...and have a Plan for that...

I have to say, I didn't even finish reading it...it was probably worth the $0 that I paid for it.

Both of the people just kept repeating things over and over...we got IT the first three times!!! He's doing it for his friend...and she has a broken heart...we GET it!!!

Maybe someone else will like it...not me.
Sandra
This was a quick read, only took a couple of hours. It's firmly in the romance genre and never goes beyond some really strong UST and a couple of kisses.

It's a cute premise but it's not a story that will change your life. And it doesn't need to be. This is the kind of book you read to escape. Curl up by the fire place and enjoy this tale of falling in love through letters, misunderstandings and lies, and a love too powerful to be denied.

Melissa
Cute, predictable, light-hearted read. Great choice for a quick summer day of relaxing read.
Tina
Unfortunately, this one didn't do it for me really. It was a pretty average read overall. Don't get me wrong, it was not a bad story, it just seemed kind of 'blah'. With a lot of redundancy. If I were to describe Lonely Millionaire in one word, that word would be 'stagnant' except for at the end, which was rushed.

There were some good things in the book, such as Adam (hot, charming, charismatic). Even though I didn't like her, Mandy was an okay character. She could be a bit pathetic at times, but...more
t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog
Slow but sweet romance in the style of a 70's Harlequin Presents...nothing exciting but sweet.

Description:

Acting the part of a lonely millionaire, Adam Gray was not interested in a mail-order romance, but he was willing to write some love letters for his friend. Then he had to go "check out" the bride to be. Off he went on an undercover job at Man...more
Melissa Levine
This was an okay read. Below are some questions/comments I have about this story:

When Adam first arrives at the B & B and asks Mandy about the Yukon Magazine, why does she tell him that she doesn't read it? Seriously, it's like he knows she put an ad in it, so why would she not read it? Very stupid.

After Adam comes back from doing whatever at the beach, Mandy is in the bathroom still peeling the wallpaper off the walls. Why? She knows she has a guest. She knows said guest is in a room where...more
Kristen
okay, half wrong. no steamy scene but a bit too much description of desire for my taste. I would still say it is a romance novel but on the tame side as far as that goes.

I was wrong! - "I am fairly certain this one is going to be sexually graphic. I am hoping not but after only a few chapters there is an awful lot of sexual tension... with 250 pages to go, I can see it only ending up one way. Most likely this one will go in the "I am not finishing it and won't ever finish it" pile."

I read throu...more
Kim Eyler
What a sweet love story, it kept me wishing and wishing for them to get together and stay together. Waiting for them to fall for each other and admit to their feelings was so worth it. I loved this book and would be interested in reading more from this author.
Sian
This wasn't brilliant, it was a very average read. From the synposis I guessed it was going to be a light hearted feel good romantic read and it started off that way but it soon went down-hill after that.

I don't think it was necessarily the story either...but the format, grammer and typing errors on this was really bad and it really put me off reading it....
for example : " But it wasn't love. It couldn't be love. It had to be hist. And she could get over lust. "
Now if it wasnt for the end part I...more
Vichy
It is a mild contemporary romance with no surprises. It has, though, its humorous moments with the funny dialogues but the scenario is not appealing to me and the whole pen pal story fits to adolescent ages and not the mature characters of the book. The fact that the story starts based on the fact that the heroine is already in love with her imaginary friend (although she doesn’t realize) seems naive the way it is given. The outcome is that I didn’t actually sympathize with the heroine because I...more
Cheryl
This was a lovely story! I loved the way it all just seemed to flow together. The only thing i can see is that maybe there should have been a few more rooms in the B&B. Just having 2 even as a startup just seems a bit too small to be able to run a successful business. However, that aside, the story was really good. Having a beach setting is always a plus for me and the fact that Mandy isnt afraid to tackle anything on her own is great! Throwing her sister into the mix makes it fun and intere...more
So my biggest problem with this book is girl thinks she is writing to Jack, she is really writing to Adam and falls in love with him thought his letters. Adams comes to visit to scope her out and they fall in love in person, but Adam is just like no! She loves Jack....cause she loves the person who wrote the letters which is...Adam. I don't know. It doesn't make sense. I mean if Jack had written the letters then okay, but if you and I both write to someone they will be completely different as we...more
Bridget Bowers
I always enjoy a little fun read after being immersed in a deeper story, this book was perfect for that. The premise of a bed and breakfast owner becoming a pen pal on a dare was fun. Who wouldn't want to meet a lonely millionaire? The characters were nicely set up, but I felt the plot in the middle was a little too repetitive.

Once we realize the hang up Mandy and Jack encounter, the tension while remaining intense, doesn't really go anywhere. I enjoyed the playful scenes of visiting the pumpkin...more
Donna
The edition I read was an eBook for Nook.

This is a light easy read. That tells the story of Mandy Clayton answering a personals ad from Lonely Millionaire. This was something that Mandy would never do, but she couldn't resist a dare from her sister. Now she finds herself falling in love with a man she has never met.
Acting the part of Lonely Millionaire Adam Gray was not interested in a mail order romance, but he was willing to write some love letters for his friend. Then he had to go check out...more
Lillie
A light, entertaining escape read, this book is a sweet romance filled with misunderstandings and misleadings, and it's fun to reach happy ever after.
Mom24
Oh my gosh think bad TV movie. Bad. Plodding. Painful. Slooooow.
Linda Linck
it was a good book. lacking a little but a fun read.
Georgina Sampson
So Mandy writes to jack, but its actually Adam replying. Adam visits her pretending not to know jack but he's does....bla bla bla a teeny bit confusing to start off with once you get past all that its actually quite a good romantic read. No sexy stuff in it just kissing and petty but this kind of book doesn't need all that anyway. I will look at some of the other books that the author writes as this one had a good storyline.
Lynda
The story started out strongly and could have been a 5 star story had there been a bit more romance with Mandy and Adam and not so much angst! Yes a certain amount makes for a compelling story but once Adam checked out of the Inn, it seems the distance between them became distracting.

Literally and figuratively there were a lot of unfinished projects (wallpaper & mussels at half a bucket as well as M & A's story) and the end seemed rushed and incomplete. I enjoyed the premise and want to...more
Kristen Bamford
I recently purchashed this book on my Kindle for $0.00 You have to love free books ;)

I am a romance junkie and could read them all back to back.

The reason why this book only received three stars was for all the miss spelled words. Even though I knew what the author meant to say, it was quite annoying.

The story was great and I truly enjoyed it. I would actually love to see this turned into a trilogy. To keep up with Jack and her sister with their love lives. I would absolutely read them for sure...more
Ashley Christensen
I really enjoyed the premise of this book, however, there were a lot of spelling, grammar, and format mistakes in my Kindle copy, and it did start to take me away from the story a bit.

As far as the story, it follows typical romance novel plot points, but I love the idea of the ad and her B&B- give me a romance novel featuring a B&B and I will go for it every time. I didn't fall in love with the characters at all. In fact, I still feel like I barely know them. But for a quick read it did...more
Erin
I got this because it was a free book, and was pleasantly surprised! It had a few errors in it, but I think I received my version after a lot of cleaning up was done.
After reading the first few pages, I didn't think I would like it much, but I soon changed my mind. I enjoyed the characters and the story. My only complaint would be that, after a book FILLED with anticipation, there was no sex scene! I can honestly say I felt a bit cheated there. :( Other than that, it was a great book!
K.R.Caldwell
It's something about the idea of letter writing now-a-days that really puts you in the mood for love. I thought this a fun, light hearted, chick lit that had a lot of potential to be movie worthy. At certain times I fell off and I wish the author would have delved into the actually romance between the two. the whole book was about the building of their love and when they finally got together it was over.... the true romantic at heart wants all the details.
Faithann
Mandy, accepted a dare from her sister to answer a personal ad in a magazine called Yukon Man. Little did she realize how much she was going to enjoy exchanging letters with Jack. Enter Adam, Jack's Best Friend. He is sent to check Mandy out, to see if she is "the one". From the moment she opens the door of Miramar Inn, the bed and breakfast Mandy owns, Adam struggles to remember why he is there. This book was entertaining from the begining to the end.
Tifferz
Tifferz Take-
I got this book of amazon and thought it sounded cute. Well I really, really liked it. It was well written the character development was great and it was a fun, romantic story. It is clean no sex. I think my favorite part was the fruit cake. It just made me laugh. So, if you want a great read. Pick this one up. I read it in an afternoon. It is great for a nice escape.
This was my first book from this author and will not my be last.
PepsiGirl
Sweet love story, two people try to fight their obvious chemistry. The added pressure of trying to do the right thing and also not put themselves out there to prevent them from getting hurt. Adam was stubborn and didn't want to admit that he could change what he wanted in his life. Mandy was afraid to give herself a chance a life. Adam ended up giving the most and changing everything to keep her. She really didn't do much to deserve him.
Rose Cimarron
Why do I read Mills and Boon books???
This was a particularly nausiating example, from the 80s.
The research into the "hero's" job was hopeless...there were so many factual errors. The main characters were so irritating that I just wanted to slap them. The best two characters were Jack (who didn't get a girl) and the toucan!
I finished the book as it counts towards my WBTC Challenge, since I got this free eBook from Amazon.
  • Love in Bloom
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Cry Uncle
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1)
  • Touched By Angels (Loveswept, No 538)
  • A Man For The Summer
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Bridleton
  • Forgotten Father
  • Full Circle
  • Looking for Trouble (Trouble, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Maddy's Oasis
  • Change of Heart
  • A Hint of Rapture
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Dodge the Bullet
191815
Carol Grace is the author of over 35 romance novels. In her former life she worked as a translator and an ESL teacher. She has traveled the world from Africa to Singapore for work and pleasure. Carol speaks French whenever she can, and sails the seas on cruise ships. When not on deck sipping tropical drinks and brainstorming ideas for her next novel, she gives writing classes. It's a tough job but...more
More about Carol Grace...
Mail-Order Millionaire The Millionaire's Nanny Wild Mustang Man Return to Paradise Her Italian Millionaire