Start by marking “La tua casa segreta” as Want to Read:
La tua casa segreta

La tua casa segreta

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In E=mc2, David Bodanis took the life's work of one of history's greatest geniuses and made it "astonishingly understandable" (Parade) to the everyday reader. Now he takes the reader through an average day in and around an average house, showing us the fascinating science beneath the surface-from the static between radio stations, to the millions of pillow mites that snugg ...more
Paperback, Oscar Scienza 14, 283 pages
Published 2003 by Mondadori (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about La tua casa segreta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La tua casa segreta

I got this book from the library when I was about ten and must have borrowed it half a dozen times in the following few years. I loved it so much. I would read chunks of it to my stepmother to freak her out, and describe in great detail to my friends the bits about dust mites crawling all over everything, fungus all over the walls of the house and all the crap that blows back at you whenever you use the vacuum cleaner, among other things. I wasn't really disturbed by any of this stuff, mind you, ...more
Zainab Moazzam
After reading this, I realized the amount of microscopic detail that we ignore in our everyday life is just overwhelming..
Don't read this book if you have OCD. And even if you're borderline, don't! This book will likely be the one that will drive you over the edge. This book is jampacked with lots of interesting info, both vital and trivial. That said, I skipped quite a few pages. But I am, most definitely, more germ-conscious now. It will change the way you live at least by a bit, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not when you have read the book and know what I know now.
Pretty much anytime I vacuum a rug, I picture 100s of dust mites between the fibers. They are sitting with there mouths open, hoping one of my skin cells will fall in. Maybe they are frightened when the wind starts to pull them upward? But once they hit the vacuum bag, they can feast for months.

That's pretty much what this book is about. It describes all the invisible things going on around you every day.
Gran libro que aprovechando un tema tan aburrido como una casa (la estructura de una casa y sus habitantes) nos da mil lecciones de ciencia, empezando por la formación y composición de las pelusas, siguiendo por la resistencia de materiales y su comportamiento térmico... un montón de cosas muy interesantes y bien contadas. Libro muy recomendable.
Oct 26, 2007 Jayna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
Don't read this if you ever want to breathe air and not know what microbes are in it, cook food and remain blissfully ignorant of what particles fall into it, or wash your hair without being concerned about the electrical consequences... among other things. I will say one thing though: Yay for soap! :)
Margaret Unger
Some interesting things are explored in this book and a lot can be learned. However, I sense the author is purposely trying to gross the reader out with choosing the absolute worst possible cases (not all ice cream is made purely from fat with no dairy products, etc.). His pretentious writing style and pathetic attempts at wit nearly made me give up on this book. It would have been so much more readable if it avoided uselessly fluffy and sometimes plain odd descriptions: ""...your favourite show ...more
I remember hearing about this book on NPR back in the late 80's and finding a clearance copy. It's all about the shit that goes on at the microscopic level in your home that you really don't want to know about: dust mites crawling all over you and your bed and the filthy invisible spew that thrusts up into the air every time you flush your toilet, and so on. I actually only skimmed it, and of course it has microscopic images to freak you out more. Maybe someday I'll read the whole thing.
Melanie Baker
Probably a bad idea to read this if you have any Howard Hughes-like tendencies, given the detail of what goes on out of sight on the average human body and in our homes. However, lots of great factoids and deep detail on how all kinds of things in our houses work, from toothpaste to clothing to cooking and vacuum cleaners.
This is a great little book about what your senses don't tell you. The author takes thinhs like dust settling and gives it sound so you can actually hear it. The story is one about all the mechanics, biology, and chemistry of a house that we do not see every day. It is a fun book to read.
Mrs N
I read part of this book as a kid and loved it. I decided it was time to revisit it. I skimmed parts I wasn't that interested in. It's a microscopic look at the everyday. I don't recommend it for the squeamish!
Bill H
A fascinating look at the microscopic (and sub-microscopic) world underlying your everyday life, as well as some unpleasant insights into industrial food preparation. Yikes!
Chris Palazzo
Ever wonder what's happening in your house on an an average day, on a microscopic level? Read this book to find out. Prepare to be horrified.
Picked this up at the local resale far, utterly fascinating. Can't read it in huge gobs, but enjoying it in small doses.
Very cool popular science book. Learn all about the science that's going on all around you in your very own home.
David Hunt
Dec 23, 2007 David Hunt rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fans
A neat little overview of several happenings around an ordinary house at a microscopic level.
Stuff about mites and how margarine is made etc. Not too interesting but relatively painless read.
Judy Knight
Sep 08, 2010 Judy Knight marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've only read parts of this book; it is mesmerizing but not for the faint of heart.
Wow! This book is amazing and packed with trivia. Invaluable and delightful.
Wow, it is astonishing what is happening when nothing is going on!
You'll look at your living room a whole new way
Use a clean dishcloth :-)
Jul 07, 2007 Geunah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
observation and curiosity
Dianna Caley
Dianna Caley marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
M marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Jennifer Erickson
Jennifer Erickson marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
  • Turbulent Mirror: An Illustrated Guide to Chaos Theory and the Science of Wholeness
  • The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleep
  • The Way Things Work
  • The Arrow of Time
  • The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt
  • The Variety of Life: A Survey and a Celebration of All the Creatures that Have Ever Lived
  • The Collapse of Chaos: Discovering Simplicity in a Complex World
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • The Universe and the Teacup: The Mathematics of Truth and Beauty
  • Cartoon Guide to Genetics
  • The Beauty of the Beastly
  • Lucid Dreaming - The Power of Being Awake & Aware in Your Dreams
  • The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Science, Wishful Thinking, and the Search for Lost Species
  • The ABC of Relativity
  • What Is Your Dangerous Idea?: Today's Leading Thinkers on the Unthinkable
  • Owls Aren't Wise & Bats Aren't Blind: A Naturalist Debunks Our Favorite Fallacies About Wildlife
  • Science and Technology in World History: An Introduction
  • A Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs: Northeastern and north-central United States and southeastern and south-central Canada