Start by marking “Seventeen poisoned Englishmen (Pocket Penguin 70s #50)” as Want to Read:
Seventeen poisoned Englishmen (Pocket Penguin 70s #50)

Seventeen poisoned Englishmen (Pocket Penguin 70s #50)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Admired by millions across the world, Gabriel García Márquez first came to prominence as an imaginative writer of genius with his fantastical novel One Hundred Years of Solitude, published by Penguin in 1972. Alternately enchanting and disconcerting, the four tales in this volume describe the frailty of humanity and the bewitching force of the imagination, in a world where ...more
Published May 6th 2005 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Seventeen poisoned Englishmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seventeen poisoned Englishmen

Zanna
Having read One Hundred Years of Solitude with much distaste tempering my awed response to the sheer pace and poetry, I was surprised to enjoy this collection so thoroughly. Marquez is at his most effervescent and economical and his ideas sparkle with ingenuity.
Muphyn
This little book contains four short stories by Marquez, playing with reality and dream in quite an ingenious manner. I found 'I only came to use the phone' about a girl only wanting to use the phone but ending up in a mental asylum particularly frightening. Very nightmarish.
Mark
This is a collection of four short stories, ranging from the beautiful and fantastic to simple and quite real. He deals with so many topics using intriguing characters. My favorite story in the collection is called Light is Like Water and is a wonderful piece about the power of imagination. Two young boys who used to live by the sea, and now find themselves in a apartment in Madrid have daring aquatic adventure in a sea of light. They buy themselves a boat, scuba gear and explore the depths of t ...more
abatage
This is a great series of short "pocket penguin" books that really give a good taste of an author's style.

Marquez is one of my mother's favourite authors and after reading this small colletion of short stories, I have further motivation to read some more. Marquez's style is very gentle and rich with the scene. Certainly, this was a very easy read, but a lovely one at that.
Melusina
The story "I only came to use the phone" alone is worth five stars. A truly scary and vivid account of a woman accidentally emprisoned in a mental institution. Wonderfully told, with lively language, drily yet full of life. A great introduction to Gárcia Márquez.
Kata
loved these short stories, capturing characters in a world where the lines between reality and dream are hopelessly blurred.

Favorite: "I only Came to Use the Phone", brilliantly scary.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Four short stories from the master of magic realism that make for a fast and racy read. The story "I only Came to Use the Phone" quietly disturbed me.
Ania
comforting
Alix
Alix marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Theonyl
Theonyl marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Asude
Asude marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Yalın
Yalın is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2015
Makesi
Makesi marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Mami
Mami marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Marcela
Marcela marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Cash
Cash added it
Apr 21, 2015
Genna Imogen
Genna Imogen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Duarte
Duarte marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Michelle Hayes
Michelle Hayes marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • The mirror of ink (Pocket Penguins 70s #9)
  • Cloud, castle, lake
  • Street Haunting
  • Murder
  • In Defence of English Cooking
  • The Kiss
  • Happy birthday, Jack Nicholson
  • The worst thing a suburban girl could imagine (Pocket Penguin 70s #57)
  • On seeing and noticing
  • Martha and Hanwell (Pocket Penguin 70s #45)
  • Artists and Models (Pocket Penguin 70s #15)
  • Innocent House
  • The Young Girl's Handbook of Good Manners for Use in Educational Establishments
  • Summer in Algiers
  • On Modern Art
  • The unabridged pocketbook of lightning
  • De Uitvreter, Titaantjes, Dichtertje, Mene Tekel
  • Twentysomething Essays by Twentysomething Writers
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and late worked as a reporter for the Colombian ne
More about Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez...
One Hundred Years of Solitude Love in the Time of Cholera Chronicle of a Death Foretold Memories of My Melancholy Whores Of Love and Other Demons