Start by marking “Seventeen Poisoned Englishmen” as Want to Read:
Seventeen Poisoned Englishmen

Seventeen Poisoned Englishmen

Admired by millions across the world, Gabriel García Márquez first came to prominence as an imaginative writer of genius with his fantastical novel One Hundred Years of Solitude, published by Penguin in 1972. Alternately enchanting and disconcerting, the four tales in this volume describe the frailty of humanity and the bewitching force of the imagination, in a world where ...more
Paperback, Pocket Penguin 70s #50, 56 pages
Published May 6th 2005 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Seventeen Poisoned Englishmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seventeen Poisoned Englishmen

Having read One Hundred Years of Solitude with much distaste tempering my awed response to the sheer pace and poetry, I was surprised to enjoy this collection so thoroughly. Marquez is at his most effervescent and economical and his ideas sparkle with ingenuity.
Probably more like 3.5 stars
I really want to write a short film based on the story "The Woman Who Came at Six O'Clock".
A Pocket Penguin 70 year publication - a excerpt of short stories by GGM. Three taken from Strange Pilgrims, the third story from Collected Stories.

Plotlines given away, so a spoiler it is...

(view spoiler)
Sep 18, 2008 Muphyn rated it really liked it
This little book contains four short stories by Marquez, playing with reality and dream in quite an ingenious manner. I found 'I only came to use the phone' about a girl only wanting to use the phone but ending up in a mental asylum particularly frightening. Very nightmarish.
Aug 10, 2016 Nour rated it liked it
اسم القصة : سبعة عشر رجلًا إنجليزيًا مسمومًا

عندما يقرر ماركيز أن يهدأ و يخلع عباءة التفاصيل الكثيرة .
Sep 26, 2015 Coenraad rated it really liked it
Marquez's writing is excellent, fascinating and above board. In 'Seventeen poisined Englishmen' the journey of a widow from South America, fulfilling her dream of travelling to Rome to see the Pope, is described. It focuses on her arrival and stay in Naples and her bewilderment caused by the alien surroundings. 'The woman who came at six o'clock' demonstrates how an apoarently simple conversation between two people can be full of life, detail and surprises - a masterclass in short story writing. ...more
Dec 20, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of four short stories, ranging from the beautiful and fantastic to simple and quite real. He deals with so many topics using intriguing characters. My favorite story in the collection is called Light is Like Water and is a wonderful piece about the power of imagination. Two young boys who used to live by the sea, and now find themselves in a apartment in Madrid have daring aquatic adventure in a sea of light. They buy themselves a boat, scuba gear and explore the depths of t ...more
Apr 12, 2009 abatage rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a great series of short "pocket penguin" books that really give a good taste of an author's style.

Marquez is one of my mother's favourite authors and after reading this small colletion of short stories, I have further motivation to read some more. Marquez's style is very gentle and rich with the scene. Certainly, this was a very easy read, but a lovely one at that.
Mar 21, 2013 Melusina rated it really liked it
The story "I only came to use the phone" alone is worth five stars. A truly scary and vivid account of a woman accidentally emprisoned in a mental institution. Wonderfully told, with lively language, drily yet full of life. A great introduction to Gárcia Márquez.
Jan 10, 2016 Yalın rated it liked it
My favourite is "I only came to use the phone", that is a five star story by Gabo. Three stars for "The Woman who came at six o'clock". The other two stories were very plain; just two stars for them.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
Aug 23, 2011 Jigar Brahmbhatt rated it really liked it
Four short stories from the master of magic realism that make for a fast and racy read. The story "I only Came to Use the Phone" quietly disturbed me.
Jun 10, 2010 Kata rated it it was amazing
loved these short stories, capturing characters in a world where the lines between reality and dream are hopelessly blurred.

Favorite: "I only Came to Use the Phone", brilliantly scary.
Alina rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Alex Davidov
Alex Davidov rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2012
Nafeesa mushtaq
Nafeesa mushtaq rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Kanika rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Conor Lyons
Conor Lyons rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Jackie rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2007
Maude Lefaivre
Maude Lefaivre rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
antorodrigz rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
A-Leee rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2007
Glenn rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Callum Wilcox
Callum Wilcox rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2013
Marisa Waskito
Marisa Waskito rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Bhargav Prajapati
Bhargav Prajapati rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Geetly rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2010
Valary rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Hollis rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
  • The Unabridged Pocketbook of Lightning
  • Artists and Models
  • Caligula
  • Innocent House
Gabriel José de la Concordia García Márquez was a Colombian novelist, short-story writer, screenwriter and journalist. García Márquez, familiarly known as "Gabo" in his native country, was considered one of the most significant authors of the 20th century. In 1982, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.

He studied at the University of Bogotá and late worked as a reporter for the Colombian ne
More about Gabriel García Márquez...