Start by marking “The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year” as Want to Read:
The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year

The Life Organizer: A Woman's Guide to a Mindful Year

If you're like most women, you spend your days juggling commitments and multiple roles, in a constant dance between everyone else's needs and your own. If you're exhausted by this over-striving, rushing, making-life-happen mode, don't give up - there is a more intuitive, more grounded way to guide your life. Chuck your old methods of daily planning and try The Life Organiz ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published January 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Life Organizer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life Organizer

Jennifer Louden
Sep 06, 2010 Jennifer Louden rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
What can I say, it's my book!
Create With Joy
I have been a fan of Jennifer Louden’s since she published her first book. I have a special place on my bookshelf where I house my collection of Jennifer’s “comfort” books.

So – it is my pleasure to introduce you Jennifer’s latest book – the newly released paperback edition of The Life Organizer – A Woman’s Guide To A Mindful Year.

If you are the kind of woman who loves to meditate, reflect upon, plan for, and journal about your life – The Life Organizer was designed with you in mind!

The Life Or
Gina Lynette
Jul 17, 2011 Gina Lynette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many "organizers" are designed around 15 minute blocks of time and making sure you are fitting it all into those blocks. This book approaches organizing in a much more organic fashion. Jennifer gives you permission to plan around your intuition, your dreams, your feelings... and to find flow in your day. She also lets you off the hook if you are an on again/off again planner. A very gentle approach... My only wish is that there were a set of Life Organizer Pages created for my Planner so that ...more
Lain
Nov 30, 2007 Lain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After trying literally dozens of time management systems and "life management" programs, I've finally found something that I can not only live with, but grow with. The Life Organizer offers a new way for creative-types to set directions in their lives, while recognizing that the answers we need are inside our hearts already.

Too many "self-help" books ask readers to give up their power and turn outwards for answers and life direction. Not so with Jennifer Louden's awesome book. It's entertaining
Marisa
Apr 27, 2010 Marisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by poet Naomi Ayala. It couldn't have come at a more important time in my life.
I use this book every week to help me remember to stay close to what I need to feel complete. It helps to ask myself questions I'm usually too busy or disconnected to think about. It always asks you to create a list of "let go" "could do" and "have to", but her introduction to the book is really inviting, if you don't have time one week it's OK, although I've made time for this because
Suzan
Jan 15, 2015 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
still going back to reread some marked pages...a lot to digest
Tammy Lavine
Feb 18, 2014 Tammy Lavine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't just read cover to cover & be done with this one. It's one of those you pick up, absorb a passage or a chapter, or more, dwell, in it, journal, & go apply, & return to again & again. Such a easy read that meets you deeply at your core & leaves you feeling vulnerable but like you just got a shot leaving you more alive than ever.
Marybeth
Jul 31, 2010 Marybeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this workbook,more then any other I have ever purchased.
If you visit Jennifer Louden's site you can read a thorough description of what this magical book is all about! I am still working in it. It sits by my bedside and is visited several times a week.
Kelly Salasin
I'm on my third year working with this book. I answer the weekly prompts every Sunday morning and write my responses right into my calendar. In this way, I shape my days from the inside out, first.
Char
Aug 21, 2012 Char rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Have gone through it several times with a group. Still in process.
Judy
Mar 27, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Not for 'organizing' stuff, but rather your mind and spirit
Loretta
Jan 19, 2015 Loretta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 3 star review is subject to change, because although I have read through the first part of the book, I haven't actually started doing any of the stuff, answering any of the questions, doing any of the journaling. There are, I think, some good insights, thoughts, and really excellent questions to ponder. I might work with those questions in a much looser, unstructured way, rather than follow the "52 weeks" scheme laid out in the second part of the book.

There is good stuff in here, for sure. B
Christine
Like most women in today’s world, I pile way too much on myself and always wish the day would some how mystically grow longer to abide me time to finish what I take on. Alas, I wake up and realize that will never happen. In comes Jennifer Louden, a personal coach and columnist for Body + Soul magazine. She has devised a book full of tips, stories and prompts to help women to focus our needs and navigate our dreams.

Designed in a weekly sense, this book allows for daily writing or as a template to
Christine Hamblen
As a "big picture" thinker, reading this book through before thoroughly working through the strategies and calendar, I feel excited anticipation. The website is great for recordkeeping in a busy world.
Maura Badji
Mar 15, 2014 Maura Badji rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas to organize your life and your thinking. Big help: clutter busting, of course. I still refer to this book.
Mycala
Nov 17, 2007 Mycala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this from Bookswim, and then immediately went out and bought my own copy. I raved to my Mom about it and she went out and bought one as well. If you like journaling, this is a great resource to help you figure out what you want and need from life. The questions are designed so you can go through every week or every day, as desired. You can also go through by mood -- if you're feeling sad, or concerned about finances, there are stories and questions associated with those feelings that ...more
Heidi Hooten
Feb 15, 2014 Heidi Hooten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the whole book -- still using.
Aubrey
Jan 04, 2011 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I attended one of her retreats in October 2006 and purchased the book there. I had no interest in it prior to that because the title really did nothing for me. I have, however, learned quite a few things from reading it. It's set up differently than a standard book with some text in the beginning (very insightful) and then weekly pages to maintain your focus. I haven't "finished" it, but that's okay because it's a book to go back to when you're in the right place.

I love her relaxed, "you are oka
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hmmmm?
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted in a magazine - I think
I requested an interlibrary loan for this book because I really enjoyed Louden's Women's Comfort Book years ago. While this book was intriguing for a few pages, it just didn't grab me. The idea was basically to make your life choices based on the emotional resonance you feel. I felt it was a complicated version of a too-simple idea. You can't direct your life based on gut feelings.

Maybe the above is an over-simplification, but the book just wasn't worth any more review time to me.
Leslie
May 13, 2013 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay-the general idea is good and I like the thought provoking questions each day/week, but the premise is wishy-washy for using it as it was intended ("Life Planner") and the author seems to have no concrete idea of what and why this works; it was a headache just reading her intro chapters to get to the planner part. Good in theory, but not practical. There are better "spirit-centered" and "live life to its fullest/your purpose" books out there in my opinion.
Jamie
May 06, 2014 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's a nicely packaged and well-written, but it just was not for me. I could not get into it. That's just me.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Dec 31, 2007 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book as a present to myself. I bought two other copies as presents for others.

This is my new strategy for dealing with a new year and trying to do a better job of balancing life and work. Already, thinking through a few goals for the first few weeks of 2008 makes me feel better organised.

Feel free to ask me in a few months whether it's working.
Tatra
Apr 26, 2015 Tatra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating way to look at life. I think I might try this approach out, but I had to read through the book first.
Frangipani
Nov 17, 2009 Frangipani is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book so far seems to me to be written from a childless perspective. It seems to assume that you have time to focus on yourself and planning where you want to be. Whereas what I am hoping this book will do is GIVE ME the tools to carve some more ME TIME out of my hectic schedule!
Hope
One of the best "organizer" books for women that I've never followed... I like Louden's writing and her approach to "comfort" and I like the questions she asks. A great journalling tool if nothing else...
Starfire
Apr 19, 2015 Starfire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really just use this as a book of journalling prompts, and am enjoying exploring the different questions in it
Lisa
Dec 12, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Really interesting exercise. I'm going to do it again next year (or at least try).
Curtiss Matlock
Good insights. Began to skim, the book is longer than needed. A good reference
Tiffany
Aug 11, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book I use almost everyday as I strive for balance, harmony and fulfullment.
Patricia
Nov 04, 2011 Patricia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
This one was a gift from my boss. I like it so far. It offers some useful tips.
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else
  • The Body Sacred
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Living a Charmed Life: Your Guide to Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Yearnings: Embracing the Sacred Messiness of Life
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Living a Beautiful Life
  • The Reluctant Entertainer: Every Woman's Guide to Simple and Gracious Hospitality
  • The Art of Doing Nothing: Simple Ways to Make Time for Yourself
  • Callings: Finding and Following an Authentic Life
  • Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People, and People Who Would Really Rather Sleep All Day
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
  • The Joy of Not Working:  A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked
  • True Balance: A Commonsense Guide for Renewing Your Spirit
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • Everyday Sacred: A Woman's Journey Home

“East of Ordinary There exists the landscape where you take yourself by the hand. Where you walk forward trembling with tears running down your face, West of Doubt where you fear your greatness and embrace it anyway. We join hands and listen for the whispers of how we each make a difference. North of Hello we gather the courage for the doing. South of Regret we loosen our jaws, lean our shoulders away from our ears, let our eyes turn upwards. It need not be hard, we have each other.” 2 likes