Start by marking “Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story” as Want to Read:
Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story

Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Mr. Prickles was not a particularly friendly fellow. He was tough to get close to . . . because he was a porcupine.
“You're not cute like us,” said Raccoon.
“Or cuddly like us,” said Chipmunk.
“Or playful like us,” said Skunk.
“I am,” said Mr. Prickles. “On the inside.”
Poor Mr. Prickles was very lonely-until the day he met Miss Pointypants. Could she be the perfect prickly co
Published December 20th 2011 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Prickles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Prickles

Kathryn
I have mixed feelings about the book. In some ways, I really liked it. In others, I was a bit disappointed. Sometimes I thought the illustrations were really cute--sometimes, they seemed a little odd. Sometimes the puns about prickles were amusing--sometimes, annoying. Maybe I was just in an odd mood when I read this, LOL!

Mr. Prickles is not well liked by the other woodland critters and they make fun of him for being prickly. But, he can't help it--he is a porcupine, after all. But, the more th
Rana DiOrio
Feb 21, 2012 Rana DiOrio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
The Story: Mr. Prickles tries way too hard to fit in with the other forest animals. That is, until he meets Miss Pointypants. The cuspated couple grow quite fond of one another, and the exclusionary forest animals no longer matter to them.

The Rhythm: I love the cadence of this story. It is so much fun to read out loud. The word choice and emphasis not only serve as the metronome for the story but also help the young audience to feel the internal condition of the protagonist. The alliterations ar
Rachel
Another book I picked up for Prickly Things Toddler Storytime, but decided it was probably too long to us. Plus I don't think they would pick up on the subtleties of the story. It is about a porcupine named Mr. Prickles, who just wants to show the other animals (racoon, skunk and squirrel) that he is cool and fun to hang out with. Sadly, they do not agree and the more they exclude him, the angrier (pricklier) he gets on the inside. One night he is glaring at them for excluding him, when he sees ...more
Gmr
Jan 18, 2012 Gmr rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all ages
Yes my friends, I was taken in by the story of this little porcupine who simply wanted to belong, held fast by the barbs thrown his way by those "cutesy" animals of the forest, and reminded of the simple pleasure it can be to "be alone, together".

It's true what they say; any situation is ten times easier to handle when you have someone to share it with. Be it a night on the town, a trip to the movies, or simply vegging at home reading books and staying up til dawn. Alone time is nice, but too m
Whole And
Sep 14, 2013 Whole And rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
More stars please, this book deserves at least 10.

There are so many important messages in this simple story for our little people to take in(and for the adults reading the story!) I'm not sure where to start.

Love is the answer, that's a great start.

Mr. Prickles is difficult to get close to but attempting to make friends with three mean, unkind, excluding animals in the woods only leads Mr. Prickles down of the path of anger and feeling more prickly, on the inside.

As he watches his 'friends' from
Heidi
I read this book to a group of kindergarteners. I enjoyed it and I think they enjoyed it as well. But it's not one of my favorites. It didn't have as much humor as I expected. In addition, the puns pretty much go over the head of young children. Even older elementary students don't always understand puns. The kindergarten teachers enjoyed the puns though. I did think that the book is a good lead in to discussions of unkindness and anger issues. Mr. Prickles gets really angry when the other anim ...more
Jenny
Jul 03, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute picture books. Mr. Prickles wants to make friends with the other animals in the forest, but they don't seem to want to be friends with him. Things change when he meets Ms. Pointypants. Clever play on words that would make a good mentor text when talking about word choice in writing.
Karen Arendt
Mr. Prickles wants to be friends with chipmunk, skunk, and raccoon, but his quills keep getting in the way. Mr. Prickles watches the other animals after they make it clear they do not want to play with a porcupine. Mr. Prickles gets madder each day watching the others. He then meets another porcupine and they become friends. The other animals see them and make jokes about their quills. The two porcupines realize that the skunk, chipmunk, and raccoon are not worthy friends. This story could be us ...more
Nov 27, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Poor Mr. Prickles. He's rejected by the other forest animals just for being a prickly porcupine. Facing repeated rejection, he becomes as prickly on the inside as he is on the outside. When he meets Miss Pointypants, he finds a fellow prickly friend. The two realizes that they can have fun together and both become a little less prickly.

Like many books with nighttime settings, some of the pictures in the story are fairly dark and don't show well for read alouds to large groups. I also didn't like
Lynne Marie
Jan 13, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it it was amazing
Loved the story, the characters and the structure. Of course, as the author of HHGTK, I love prickly little fellows!
Jasmin Love
Curricular Connection: I would use this book around Valentines day to go with the theme of the Holiday.
Dawn
Mar 17, 2016 Dawn rated it liked it

A good story for talking about learning to get along with difficult people and including others. Also could be on the topic of seeing the good in people and in yourself.

My class really enjoyed the puns and the funny names.
The Brothers
Mr. Prickles (an aptly named porcupine) desperately wants to be accepted and a part of the fuzzy animals of the forest group. But they shun him because he's got quills. He feels prickly not just on the outside, but on the inside, now. Luckily, he become friends with another porcupine and they help each other overcome this inner prickles.

Fun illustrations.
Tenille
Jan 12, 2016 Tenille rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a cute little story! I enjoyed it!!
Christen
Mar 04, 2016 Christen rated it it was amazing
The best live stories have a porcupine
Apr 19, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Cute picture book about a little porcupine who is picked on by other animals. He gets so tired of trying to be their friends that he decides to act rough and mean. Being bitter doesn't make him any happier. He continues acting mean until he sees another porcupine. A lady porcupine. She hangs out with him and makes him feel better. They fall in love and spend all their time together. Then, it doesn't matter how much the other animals tease them. They tease right back, and carry on hanging out tog ...more
Derrick
Sep 21, 2015 Derrick rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Alicia Scully
This is definitely one of the best and funniest books that I've read in awhile. Mr. Prickles is a porcupine who may be prickly on the outside but he is definitely not prickly on the inside, at least until the other woodland animals make him so. Mr. Prickles becomes quite prickly and instead of befriending the cruel creatures, he instead enjoys glaring at them with prickly regard. Yes, it is that pun-y. I can see how some readers may not enjoy the puns but I found it very entertaining.
Heidi
Looking for a storytime possibility, and this one didn't quite do it for me. Perhaps with a school-age group, but I don't think I'd read it well with a preschool group. It works as a lap-read for a pre-schooler, especially if you want to teach a child how to not let others' ill opinions or treatment bother you.

My favorite part was the air freshener around the skunk's neck.
Jay
Jan 27, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
A nice little story about how it is to be different and that you don't need to be like others to love yourself and to be happy. "Not everyone is going to like you", my mother used to say. But you are not alone either. There is always one you can relate to and at least one who'll understand and accept and love you for you. Put it on your list.
The Styling Librarian
Apr 14, 2013 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Mr. Prickles A Quill-Fated Love Story by Kara LaReau, illustrated by Scott Magoon - Really cute but doesn't really resolve animal bullies in the book, maybe that is a good thing though... I am still more enamored with the fantastic porcupine love story Porcupining by Lisa Wheeler.
Shelli
Feb 20, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The socially awkward part of my felt so badly for Mr. Prickles. He only wanted friendship and was pushed away. Thank the universe there is a mate for every shoe! Even those not so cute and uncomfortable pairs. Great read aloud book to share with grade school kiddos.
Jackie
Apr 28, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Just how do porcupines hug? Well...very carefully, of course! Mr. Prickles: A Quill-Fated Love Story is the cutest tail...er, tale ever! All the forest animals don't have much use for Mr. Prickles, but he doesn't mind much since he found Miss Pointypants.
Dianna Winget
Sep 17, 2015 Dianna Winget rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I thought this book was adorable! I love the feisty Mr. Prickles. After all, who wouldn't be offended after being shunned by everyone. But Mr. Prickles overcomes his bad attitude with grace and humor, and of course, a little help from a special friend.
Pedro
Aug 04, 2012 Pedro rated it liked it
Good story. I don't think young kids would get all the jokes though. Who's Skunk to talk though, he smells. Chipmunk is a well dressed rat and Raccoon eventually develops a bad habit and becomes homeless. Has to steal to sustain himself.
Angie
Jun 30, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Proof there is someone out there for everyone ;) Reading this one to my storytime kids in July. We'll see what they think. Funny selection for adults to listen to as well. 3.5 stars to the text, 4 for the pictures. Ha.
Molly
Warning, if you chose to read this to a group of boys (who happen to be prone to giggling) you will have a raucous storytime experience...especially every time you read Miss Pointypants. Too much fun!!
Tam
Jan 29, 2012 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: valentines-day
Christine
Mar 08, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
I loved this story! I think it had a great message to kids about being different, although I wish that he found a friend, not a girlfriend, but it was still a cute book.
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Kate & Pippin: An Unlikely Love Story
  • A Kiss Like This
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Time for a Hug
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • More Bears!
  • Beep and Bah
  • Plant a Kiss
  • Homer
  • Moo!
  • Listen to My Trumpet! (Elephant & Piggie, #17)
  • No Matter What
  • Moonlight
  • Dot
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur: A First Book of Manners
Kara LaReau was born and raised in Connecticut. She received her Masters in Fine Arts in Writing, Literature, and Publishing from Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts and later worked as an editor at Candlewick Press and at Scholastic Press. Among other celebrated titles, she edited Kate DiCamillo’s Because of Winn-Dixie, The Tale of Despereaux, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, and the ...more
More about Kara LaReau...