Start by marking “The Land That Time Forgot” as Want to Read:
The Land That Time Forgot

The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak #1-3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  6,430 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Language: English
Initials: yes
Separate Chapters: yes
Superior Kindle Formatting: yes
Interactive Table of Contents: yes
Lending Allowed: yes

The novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs in one collection with active table of contents. Works include:
The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot, Out of Time's Abyss
Published January 1st 2011 by United Holdings Group (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Land That Time Forgot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land That Time Forgot

Jim
As Libervox recordings go, this one is pretty good. The reader, Snelson, has a voice that goes with the story pretty well, although his accents for some characters are just awful. Still, I wanted to read this book with a group & didn't have time for the old paperback on my shelves. The library has an audio edition, but it's out on loan & I'm still waiting for it. (I know why electronic formats are limited in their number of loans, but I don't like it.) This edition was handy & the bo ...more
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This is the Omnibus Version of Edgar Rice Burrough's (ERB) Caspakian Novels. Included here are:

The Land That Time Forgot

The People That Time Forgot

Out of Time's Abyss

These are three novels of adventure told in a classic style similar to that of Jack London, Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells. This is a style of early in the last century and more like the century before it. It's a story that is narrated to us, rather than painted so that we can experience it. And it's full of adventure, love, cour
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

You gotta love Edgar Rice Burroughs. He underperformed in life until, as a pencil sharpener salesman who spent his free time reading pulp magazines, he figured he could be paid to write “rot” at least as good as the “rot” he read in the pulps. And thus started the illustrious career of the man who brought us Tarzan, John Carter, and David Innes… And who inspired a generation of fantasy and science fiction writers.

The Land that Time Forgot, a lost world sto
Stephen Gallup
In 1995, I sold a large box full of mint-condition Edgar Rice Burroughs books left over from my younger days. A coworker took it off my hands for the princely sum of $10. Looking at what's available today on eBay (where I retrieved a new copy of this title), that box might now fetch $500. Oops.

My recollection of Burroughs is that (possibly aside from the Tarzan series) he had a formula, which he used again and again: a doughty hero ventures into extraordinary circumstances, and along the way res
Mark Dewey
I loved this book. It's like a mix between Indiana Jones, Gulliver's Travels, Jurassic Park and a mutant sort of Planet of the Apes, with some other stuff thrown in.

I don't know that I've seen either of the movies (maybe parts of the first one, when I was a kid), but I recommend reading it first, as it is significantly different, from what I've read about the movies on Wikipedia. The book is rather short (only about 40k words, which is 10k words off being a long short story).

The writing style is
Karen
Edgar Rice Burroughs is quickly becoming a part of my Authors-I-Regularly-Take-Promenades-With club. His creations are the stuff dreams are made of--if you're lucky and have awesome dreams. This is the first book in the Caspak series, which made its appearance in three installments in the Blue Book Magazine in 1918. I seem to particularly enjoy novels that are stories within stories. For instance, in "Land", a man tells us about how he found a message in a bottle. He proceeds to show us the manu ...more
bup
A second or third-grader would love this - there's non-stop action, and not much thought behind the world Burroughs created here, except as was driven by the thought "What would a second or third grader find exciting!?"

Make no mistake, I love me some prehistoric life, and I don't mind the cold-blooded lizardy version of dinosaurs that ruled thought at the time Burroughs wrote, but there's like 25 big dinos per acre! All carnivores!

The book isn't satisfying on its own, either - it's so clearly se
k.wing
Oh man, I love Burroughs. Some terms and musings of Bowen are, regrettably, outdated, but I looked past those to enjoy this awesome adventure. I love the concept of seeing man evolve from tribe to tribe.

Can't wait to read the second one!

Also this. Major LOL. “Californians, as a rule, are familiar with ju-jutsu, and I especially had made a study of it for several years, both at school and in the gym of the Los Angeles Athletic Club, while recently I had had, in my employ, a Jap who was a wonder
Carol Storm
When I was 12 I happened to read the third book in the series, OUT OF TIME'S ABYSS. This was long before Amazon, Kindle, and the internet, so I was never able to find the first two books, THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT and THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT.

This is the first book in the series, and it was very, very slow for at least the first half of the book. That's because Burroughs has to explain how a bunch of cowboys, merchant seamen, etc. happen to get hold of a state of the art German U-Boat at the
Stuart
The book has a strong beginning, mixing a gripping WWI adventure with a land of dinosaurs story. It tells the tale of English and American sailors who take control of a German submarine. The two crews must work together to stop a saboteur who is intent on destroying them all. The adventure then moves to the mysterious land of Caspak where they encounter "the land that time forgot." It is a world inhabited by dinosaurs, primitive men and constant danger.

The author has a great descriptive style.
Michael Ramm
This is the first ERB that I have read. It was a fast and fun read. I was thoroughly engaged in the characters and the plot. I didn't know that ERB wrote the John Carter novels also. So I will check them out now, too.
MB Taylor
Fun adventure from Edgar Rice Burroughs fairly early in his career (1918). It's really 3 adventures in one, and when Ace reprinted it/them in the 60s, it was as three books: The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot and Out of Time's Abyss.

I'm sure I read these sometime in the 70s; I remember buying up almost any ERB books I could find and at that time Ace seemed like it was trying to get everything Burroughs wrote into print. It was a good time to be a fan.

The story is pretty typic
Kris
Burroughs's love of evolution shines through in this fast tale filled with constant danger, romantic deeds, and heroic escapes. All the characters get out of all the scrapes just in the nick of time, and they sail away after coincidentally finding everything they need. Even the timeline towards the end seemed a little dubious. It's showy and flashy and exciting, but take away the setting, and what have you got? Boring people.

Between the constant reminder of the dangerous, ferocious, huge animal
John
Surprisingly, this novel works best in its initial chapters, before the characters reach dinosaur island. Once they finally do, things take an abrupt turn for the campy. Charles Darwin certainly didn't do this book any favors, as evolution is the driving force behind what makes much of this story both silly an inherently racist. Burroughs obviously believed that whites were the most evolved people on the planet, while blacks had barely come down from the trees. I normally wouldn't give a book th ...more
Elar
Three different stories bind together by same mystic land of strange human races and many action packed quests. For me first thing what came to mind was that it is like Jules Verne writing Ringworld novel :P and Burroughs likes the idea of human hatching :).
Danna
"There were all sorts and conditions of horrible things; huge, hideous, grotesque monsters...I had perhaps the fraction of a second longer to live when I heard an angry growl behind us mingle with a cry of pain and rage from the giant..." Classic pulp fiction! What Land of the Lost aspired to be! Hilariously fun!!! Like an action-adventure popcorn movie! Mine is the 1924 Grosset & Dunlap edition, stained and worn with the cover half falling off; not the Commemorative Edition shown here. Ther ...more
Randy
It's been a good many years since I first read this one. I just watched the 1975 version, that starred Doug McClure, and wanted to compare the two. The script was co-written by Michael Moorcock and I thought it might be more literate than other such efforts.

It was.

The ending was considerably different and a few incidents were compressed into one, one subplot eliminated, and cheesy looking dinos.

The tale of a German U-boat, with the survivors of a merchant ship they'd sunk, land on an island tha
Tweety
3 1/2

The People that Time Forgot was the best of them, and the last page of Out Of Time's Abyss was also great. But the entire time I read the book I kept seeing Plastic Dinosaurs. Maybe because my copy has pictures from the movie that look super fake?

Anyway, in this case I can definitely say nostalgia didn't prove true and the cover was better that the book it's self. The only one I'd reread it the middle one. On a whole not bad, but not Tarzan great either.

PG Some killing of beasts and peop
Jsmith1000
I downloaded this book onto my iPhone via the iBooks app (because there is a boatload of stuff that is free on there, and that's my favorite price). Anyway. GREAT book, incredible story, and very fast/enthralling.

I hadn't realized what a compelling writer Burroughs was; I found this book in my favorite way (which is to just have one sorta 'fall' on you). I opened it and could not put it down.

Scenario takes place in the ocean, mid-WWI activity. Without divulging too much of the story, group of f
Marts  (Thinker)
This is actually the narrative of Bowen J. Tyler and his adventures and mis-adventures in the strange land of Caprona.
It starts with Tyler, an American being a passenger on a ship in the English Channel, this is during World War I and unfortunately the ship is torpedoed by a German submarine called U-33. After the ship is sunk Tyler and one other passenger Lys La Rue are rescued by a British tug boat..... alot occurs here, the tug boat is sunk, the crew captures the sub, the sub is overcome by
Andrew Ritchie
The Land That Time Forgot is rife with the cliches that make Burroughs Burroughs. In brief: An incredibly lucky and manly Man of Action wins the blushing love of a woman while braving countless unlikely dangers without losing heart, life, or limb. It's a great example of the genre and of the author himself, both the good and the bad. Potentially uncomfortable subtexts -- racial, gender role, and cultural -- abound. Taken with those caveats, though, it's great comfort-food reading. It's also bett ...more
Claire Smith
SPOILERS!

I really enjoyed this story. I thought the narration style was very interesting because it felt more like a conversation than telling a story. It was a little confusing, because there were multiple kinds of animals running around the island, both modern and prehistoric. But over time it is explained, although I felt as though the explanation was kind of rushed.

I enjoyed that there are really two stories within this book. There is the interesting bit with the Germans and their journey t
David B
An American shipbuilder and some British sailors commandeer a German U-boat and sail it to a forgotten continent inhabited by all manner of prehistoric life.

Any devoted reader has cherished memories of those first experiences of being totally immersed in the world of a particular book. I have vivid recollections of curling up on the couch in front of the fireplace as a pre-teen with an omnibus edition of Edgar Rice Burroughs’s Caspak trilogy that I got from the Science Fiction Book Club. My rece
Turok Tucker
"Night of the Living Dead", 1968, 114,000 dollars. Filmed during the race riots in L.A., finished on the edge of the Kerner Commission. "Night of the Living Dead" was written by George A. Romero after having read "I Am Legend", and studying writers like Burroughs. The screenplay took from Burroughs a sense of plot, pacing, and action -- however, it left out any ideas as to who was to play the roles. As fate would have it, Duane Jones, a black man, earned the lead role. Romero had no intentions o ...more
Silvia
So it doesn't happen often, but I picked this book up for a definite reason.
My sister had reminded me of the Dinotopia tv series and then I found this wandering around the project Gutenberg website shortly afterwards, and it sounded just perfect.
And it was. It was a very nice adventure tale, with a plucky protagonist (and love interest, to a certain extent!), elements of mystery and I must admit that I found the tension between the Englishmen and the Germans very entertaining and a bit hilarious
David
It's a pretty horrible thing to consider, but it's got to be approaching half a century since I first read Edgar Rice Burroughs' "The Land That Time Forgot." I remember liking it way back then, so I finally decided to re-read it. I'm happy to report that it's actually better than I'd remembered. Considering that the book was first published as a serial back in 1918, and that Burroughs' forte was pulp fiction, that's an amazing thing. The writing is very good and both the world and plot are inter ...more
Markus
This is a pretty fun adventure book that starts as a war adventure that ends up on a prehistoric island. Since I was expecting dinosaurs from the get-go, that made it a little weird.

The book picks up when they get to the island and they start battling dinos. Then they discover primitive peoples. The main character meets tribes one by one of various primitive man, each one progressive more advanced than the last.

You can see how racism is subtly weaved into evolutionary ideas. The primitive peopl
Tenoko1
This book is pure male wish fulfillment for adventure.

Apparently, men living in the wild jungles among monsters and beasts are just this author's niche. While you may not have heard of this book, or even the author, know that this is the man that wrote all the Tarzan books. You have heard of him and his work, even if you didn't realize it.

This was an easy read with no real depth or emotion. The main character is a Gary Stu. He is a socially awkward military man who ends up be thrust into command
Michael Battaglia
Because part of me is perpetually ten years old, I will always be a sucker for "Lost World" type novels, all those stories of people winding up on remote islands or lost continents or hidden sections of the Arctic and finding a land full of extinct creatures, especially dinosaurs, who make everything better simply by being large and scaly and awesome in a way that mythological creatures so rarely are.

For me, the better examples of this sub-genre of pseudo-science adventure are the ones written i
Bob
I think I've now read all of Edgar Rice Burroughs. What a wondrous and fantastical imagination he had - and he gave the same to his characters, who seem doomed every few pages but then leap free to the next crisis. Easy, fun reading.
Sci-fi and Heroic...: The Land That Time Forgot 64 55 Jun 19, 2013 04:46PM
Goodreads Feedback: 'read this book' incorrect link 4 27 Jul 23, 2012 09:06AM
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • Conan the Warrior (Book 7)
  • The Man of Bronze (Doc Savage #1)
  • The Call of the Canyon
  • The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)
  • The Lost World & Other Stories
  • The Skylark of Space (Skylark #1)
  • Dinotopia Lost
  • The City of the Beast or Warriors of Mars (Michael Kane 1)
  • From the Earth to the Moon and 'Round the Moon
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 3
  • A Passion in the Desert
  • King Kong
  • Allan Quatermain
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...

Caspak (3 books)
  • The People That Time Forgot (Caspak, #2)
  • Out of Time's Abyss (Caspak, #3)
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1) Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1) The Gods of Mars (Barsoom, #2) The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom, #3) Thuvia, Maid of Mars (Barsoom, #4)

“You are here for but an instant, and you mustn't take yourself too seriously” 27 likes
“I had had to discard my rifle” 2 likes