Start by marking “Düğüne” as Want to Read:
Düğüne

Düğüne

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,443 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Müzik kanına karışıyor Ninon'un, lenfositlerin, NK'lerin, Beta 2'lerin sayılarına baş kaldırarak. Müzik Gino için dizlerimde, diyor vücudu, müzik kürek kemiklerimin altında, kalça kemiğimin arasında... Gino için müzik, parmaklarımın küçük kemiklerinde, pankreasımda ve beni öldürecek olan virüsümde, yapamayacağım her siktirik şeyde ve gözlerimin sorduğu karşılıksız sorulard ...more
Published 1996 by Metis Yayınları (first published May 30th 1995)

Pantelis
Oct 08, 2016 Pantelis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have great admiration for John Berger. A Renaissance man... I consider him to be a member of my imaginary family. Reading his books has been and remains a formative experience for me. And a constant source of inspiration and pleasure...

This novel is a pilgrimage, a ceremony and a choreography. It culminates into a wedding dance where love defies death, life defies death... Like a Szymborska poem...
orsodimondo
Nov 14, 2012 orsodimondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inglese
QUESTIONE DI SGUARDI
La scrittura di Berger mi ha subito avvolto, familiare, ma senza privarmi di stupore.
Questa volta mi ha sollevato e trasportato in un viaggio alla fonte del mito e del tempo.

Un viaggio fatto di nomi epici scelti con cura.

Di geografie dello spazio e della mente sapientemente intrecciate.

description

Sono entrato in appartamenti fatti apposta per lunghe chiacchierate e ho conosciuto gente che non avrà mai il futuro per cui altri hanno sacrificato tutto il passato.
Ho attraversato spiagge
Nancy Rossman
POV shifts, time shifts, first person to third person in conversations.

I lived in Seattle from 1980-1995, a quite enjoyable time when Seattle was still rich in creativity and yet understated. So there were Rainier beer commercials that were just out there, a thrill to watch but often not able to comprehend. Many suggested that the writers sequestered, lit a joint, and then wrote the commercial. THAT is what this book felt like. Only those commercials were much MUCH better
Joyce
Feb 21, 2011 Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
To the Wedding is a small book that addresses the large issues of love, divorce, disease, separation and ideology common to late twentieth century life, in tenderly observant prose. John Berger, author of G, Pig Earth and many other novels, understands small kindnesses, great compassion and the joys of a shared life, not only between lovers but amongst a community.

A blind Greek storyteller relates a new tale he's heard about the wedding of a young girl, Ninon, and her beloved Gino, whose passio
Jan Leent
Aug 26, 2014 Jan Leent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
A sublime, moving and tender novel about love, life, hope, consolation and the foreseen soon death of the bride due to AIDS.

The main storyline of this small novel tells the story of the two parents of the bride - estranged for many years - travelling "To the Wedding" and finishes at the wedding celebration.

One small example of the many jewels in this novel:
The mother of the bride meets a co-passenger in a bus. The co-passenger says that the bridegroom has never learned to count. The mother inte
Sep 09, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind-blowingly GREAT: 6 stars or 7! Can't believe it took so long to find it, since I know Ways of Seeing (genius). On to the other essays, grateful!!!
Şule
Dec 15, 2015 Şule rated it it was amazing
Farklıydı, çarpıcıydı, hayatın ta kendisiydi.
Jude
May 02, 2011 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read Berger as a source for my art History degree and found his writing insightful and thought provoking but he does need work to get to the gist of his criticsm. I've never read his fiction.
The rhythm of this book is a bit difficult to start with. Other readers have found it hard to get into. I would recommend reading this in as short a space of time as possible. This helps to keep the rhythms and stories fresh in your mind so you don't have to work to pick up the thread again.
So having
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Aug 09, 2011 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2011
"With music, hope too enters the body."

This is a quick read about a wedding, told from various perspectives, and as it unfolds you realize that events are not as happy as a wedding would typically be. I wasn't really into it, with the quick snippets of thought and changing narration, until Zdena connects with a man on the bus, and suddenly it became this touching connected story.

"Life depends on it... none of us can stop. You pick up something here, you take something there, you wake up with an
Kristal Cooper
Another review called this book "lyrical fiction" and I think that's appropriate because it contains many beautiful descriptions and analogies. Unfortunately, it jumps around between storylines, characters and times quickly and without warning. Because of that, it's the kind of book I would have put down because I don't like stories that are so dis-jointed. (I stuck with it only because I have the audio version and I need something to pass time on my commute to work.) In the end, I realized that ...more
Bailey
Oct 11, 2010 Bailey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I couldn't resist this book when I saw that Michael Ondaatje had written the following endorsement for it: "A great, sad, tender lyric, a novel that is a vortex of community and compassion that somehow overcomes fate and death. Wherever I lie in the world, I know I will have this book with me." The book is indeed special and at times stunning, but it was hard for me to get past Berger's style. To me it seemed a bit too mannered, too deliberate.
Michael
Oct 15, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a special book. It's hard to have your heart in the right place as a storyteller, to love people and hate what we do to the world and to each other. Berger deftly maneuvers to create this perfect melancholic space to hold the kind of joy he wants to summon. It's a rite of renewal in the form of a book. Sometimes Berger misses with his novels, maybe even most of the time, but when he hits he hits.
Jim Coughenour
Jul 28, 2007 Jim Coughenour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatfiction
John Berger's fiction is sometimes a bit too mannered for me, too deliberately artistic. To the Wedding comes perilously close to that edge but I read it in one long sitting and by the end (to employ an apt cliché) it took my breath away. I was stunned by its beauty.

Moxie
Oct 14, 2009 Moxie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the worst reads I've had in a long time. It was slow, difficult to tell who was narrating, and did not provide you enough insight into any of the main characters for you to care about then, and then it got super depressing.

Ick.
Francesca
Interesting book, well written but I found it a bit confusing as it's written in first person.
Natasha Ferreira
If I tell you this book revolves around the wedding of a woman who has AIDS.

If I invite you to imagine her.

Do you think about the woman or the virus?

Do you give her hopes, dreams, and aspirations? Do you ask when and where and why she wants to be married? Do you ask how she plans to style her hair? Do you ask how she will dance? Or do you inquire as to how she contracted the virus. Do you ask how long she has known. Do you ask how long she has left. Do you wonder about who she has told.

This b
John Treat
Nov 28, 2016 John Treat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am in awe. Some people will think this novel melodramatic, or even operatic; I don't. It is perfect. I had read Berger's nonfiction but never this novel. I will never forget the scene, near the end, when Jean, the signalman and Ninon's father, goes into the store to buy his daughter perfume. I thought I had finished the book, all broken inside myself, when I turned the page and learned that all royalties went to the Harlem United Community AIDS Center. Pieces shattered further.
Myriam
Dec 26, 2013 Myriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading John Berger always feels like a rare privilege.
‘To the wedding’ is not a straight story chronologically told, but an almost impressionistic, wrenching tale of two young lovers. Ninon has captured HIV and wants Gino to leave her. But while she is wrestling with the death she carries, Gino persists and persuades her to marry him knowing they might perhaps just count on two or three years. ‘We are going to live the years with craziness and cunning and care. All three. The three Cs. Matteo,
Cailee
Feb 08, 2014 Cailee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To the Wedding is a fictional romance set in Europe. Things have been going fine for Ninon and she's just met Gino, a man with whom she starts a romantic relationship. Everything is beautiful and her future seems endless until she discovers that she has contracted HIV from a previous one-night stand. Ninon wants Gino to leave her, until he decides to marry her anyway. So begins the journey to the wedding.

I have to say, this book has it's flaws.

At first I thought that the pace of this book was ex
Elise
Jun 13, 2012 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered John Berger when a poetry professor assigned "Ways of Seeing." "To the Wedding" similarly is a novella that relies heavily on the powers of imagery and perspective; indeed, the story is first narrated by a blind merchant. I read another review of "To the Wedding" that describes the story as cinematic, and I'd agree with that - I don't know enough about movie directors to draw an apt comparison, but I hope it will be sufficient to say that it could be a movie shown at IFC. The ...more
Daria
May 01, 2016 Daria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Listening night after night to rembetika is like being tattooed.'

His writing style was hard for me to get into for a while and I almost put the book down 30% in. It turned out to be a rare case where I'm happy I followed through.

The book is charmingly timeless. I didn't know much about Berger and for a while I thought it was written in the first half of the century because of its experimental and unorthodox tone - multiple narrators, stream-of-consciousness-esque monologues, disregard for synta
Peg
Oct 16, 2012 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT*** I've had this book on my shelf for several years and finally got around to reading it. The setting is Europe at the turn of this century and the main event happens in Italy. I had a hard time getting into the book but, I hung in there, and it did get better as it progressed. I wasn't sure which character's narrative I was reading at times because it jumped around so much. It isn't a 'light' read because it's such a sad story about a young lady with AIDS who is determined not to ...more
Jenna
May 25, 2013 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written tale, melancholic, non-linear tale of a young girl discovering she has AIDS, her resistance to marrying her lover, her parents' grief as they travel across Europe to her wedding and the fragility of human relationships. The narrative structure is interesting, told through the 'eyes' of a blind Greek market trader, and the reader never really knows whether what they are being told is real or a figment of the Greek's imagination.

Either way, Berger weaves a moving story full o
Frenje
Jan 24, 2009 Frenje rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berger's writing style reminds me a lot of that of Michael Ondaatje, who incidentally writes a little recommendation for this book on the back cover. Just so beautifully poetic, and I feel as if he captures that European rhythm so well, I feel as if this was translated from another language. And it was so oddly timeless too, I kept forgetting that this was supposed to be in a modern-day setting. My favourite part of the book were the bits where you got to see Ninon's character, and I almost wish ...more
Nancy
Jan 23, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I used to have a favorite book: The Silent Duchess (La Lunga Vita di Marianna Ucria) by Dacia Maraini, and now it has been replaced. I listened to Berger's To the Wedding on audible twice within two days. I cried, I laughed and I was mesmerized by his prose. He constructs metaphors in a beautiful poetic space that is almost as good as painting. I want to re-read it and quote it and make paintings about this book. The narration on audible is quite good, and I want someone to make a movie from thi ...more
Owen Curtsinger
Every time I pick up a John Berger novel, I think that I'll love it, but every time I try to read a John Berger novel, I can never finish; I get lost and confused by the seemingly irrelevant snippets of images that bubble up. Adding to that is the feeling that the narrative style is so soft that it doesn't drive with a serious plea for the reader to try and make sense of any of those images. The result is that certain elements and images will pass by unnoticed until I've realized that I've read ...more
Corinne Wasilewski
Beautifully written, but, in a way that touches the mind, not, the heart, that is until the very end which is perfect in every way -- masterful. There the story alternates between scenes of the wedding and scenes of the final days of the young bride's life spent in the company of her beloved. It is an ending that captures the heart and the mind.
In essence, this story depicts life as a journey and tells how even the briefest encounters have the power to harm or to heal us in significant ways. T
Tami
Mar 12, 2010 Tami rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
this might be the strangest review i have ever written:

the book was a little choppy in the beginning and i was not really enjoying it. i kept going and then considered putting it down each time i picked it up. but i am glad i kept reading.

for those considering reading it, or who just started, and cannot get through the beginning. skip to page 73, read from there. if you are still not hooked, put it down. you do not need most of the beginning to enjoy the rest of the book from page 73 onward.

th
Lisa
Apr 08, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A piece of experimental fiction that works on some levels, but not on others. The narrator is a blind man who tunes into the story of Gino and Ninon. The writing is beautiful and the story touching, and although I mostly know which paragraph belongs to which character throughout, some of them are impossible to work out despite several re-reads. I don't mind working hard with a novel, but I'm not telepathic. If Berger had given me just a few more clues here and there I'd have upped the stars. As ...more
Lisa-susan
To the Wedding is a beautifully lyrical story told by a blind Greek street seller, who hears everything and he tells the story of Ninon and Gino's wedding. This story jumps from one character to another and slightly reminded me of a cross between a poem and Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury." I enjoyed this novel. It was beautifully written and told a simple story. The story seemed oddly timeless, especially in being told by a blind greek storyteller, but at the same time the story is rather sp ...more
  • The Following Story
  • Tongue
  • Exploradores del abismo
  • Nan Goldin
  • The Service of Clouds
  • Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • Vibrator
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • Tranquility
  • Living Next Door to the God of Love
  • The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression
  • Impossible Object
  • Salt
John Peter Berger was an English art critic, novelist, painter and author. His novel G. won the 1972 Booker Prize, and his essay on art criticism Ways of Seeing, written as an accompaniment to a BBC series, is often used as a college text.

Later he was self exiled to continental Europe, living between the french Alps in summer and the suburbs of Paris in winter. Since then, his production has incre
More about John Berger...