Start by marking “Punk Farm” as Want to Read:
Punk Farm

Punk Farm (Punk Farm #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  657 ratings  ·  116 reviews
After a long day of work, Farmer Joe goes home to bed.

But meanwhile, back at the barn . . .
Cow sets up her drums.
Pig plugs in his amp.
Goat tunes his bass.
Chicken sets up her keyboards.
And Sheep checks the microphone.

They are Punk Farm and tonight they're ready to ROCK!

With adorable farm animals - and a surprise tribute to Old MacDonald - this rollicking tale is sure to h
Published April 20th 2011 by Dragonfly Books (first published April 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Punk Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk Farm

Amy
Ok. I liked Punk Farm. I thought it was really funny, and very creative. I read this book with great gusto, performing the song in the book like a punk band would, like I thought the author intended it to be read. I was rocking out, screeching, making instrument sounds, just going nuts with the text, because it's about a rock and roll band called Punk Farm performing a hit song to a sold out barn! I mean, come on, you have to do a concert when you read this book, and it was *fun* to read! I got ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jarrett J. Krosoczka, Punk Farm(Knopf, 2005)

Amusing kids' book, if far slighter than most of those I've seen in the past few years. Basically a lot of setup for a rocked-out rendition of “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” (much more amusing at the book's website, punkfarm.com, than it is in print). In my estimation, the young the child, the better, on this one, and it'll require a reader who's good at acting out sounds. (Check out the recorded song for an idea of what the sound effects should sound like
April Thompson
Peace & Rock Forever,
Punk Farm

Becky

Punk Farm is almost too fun for words. Almost. It would be awful to say nothing about this one. To just assume that you know about this one. Some may already love it, may already have it memorized even... but if I can introduce at least one or two people to the book--that wouldn't have known about it otherwise--I can walk away with a sense of satisfaction.

Farmer Joe may be your typical farmer. But his animals are far from the ordinary. These are animals that know how to rock and roll. Boy, these
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Krosoczka, Jarrett J. Punk Farm. New York. Alfred A Knopf. 2005.

This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read

Jarrett Krosoczka is a master when it comes to humorous picture books for children. Punk Farm is a punk rock retelling of the classic Old MacDonald song. The animals are giving a concert on that farm and the E I E I OO's are much more hard core. This is the type of book that will have a high appeal for children especially those under 6.
This is a great choice for beginning readers as wel
Lauren
Mar 09, 2008 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers looking for a new, modern way to teach kids "Old McDonald"
When the farmer is away...the animals will play...in their rock 'n' roll band, yo! Piggy on electric guitar, Cow on the drums, rooster on the keyboard, goat on the base, and sheep on the vocals. Old McDonald in rock'ed-out version on punk farm in ol' Wisconsin.
Donalyn
When the farmer goes to bed, the animals break out their instruments for an all night jam session. I loved the record album book cover design and the individual personalities of each performer expressed through the illustrations.
Sara Jones
ha! I bet this would be a fun read aloud cuz you'd get to make loud screeching and other ear-piercing sounds in punk fashion.
Victorb
It was abawt animals. ther was a pig and caw and a sheap and a gowt a chiken. they rok owt.Bcus it is
a show.
Erin
Imagine, if you will, some farm animals with attitudes and musical talent. The hard-working farmer goes to bed at night. The animals would be smart too, as well, but instead, they fit in one last practice then start letting their barnyard friends into the barn for a good old fashioned rock concert. They'll pay for it the next morning, as they don't get any sleep and the farmer's ready for another day of work, but such is the life of a rock star.
I may be slightly partial to Punk Farm. I'm a chil
Ryan
Dawn Moews
Jackson, Your Auntie Melissa bought this book for you and had it autographed in May 2012. It is the story of a punk band composed of farm animals, featuring their cover of "Old McDonald Had a Farm." You have enjoyed it since we first read it to you. It became one of your favorites very quickly. You could identify all of the animals and their more traditional sounds very quickly, but the punk influence is obviously near and dear to your heart.
Meg McGregor
A very cute story that will have your little ones rocking to the Old McDonald song in a new way.

I think the younger readers will enjoy this more. Be sure that the caregiver "rocks" out to give the song the rock sound it deserves.
Edward Creter
A cow, a pig, a sheep, a chicken and a goat band (literally!) together to Farm Aid their way across the farm with rockin covers of Ol' McDonald. Punk Farm rocks with Animal-chy in the USA!
Caroline (Cary)
A playful portrait of a hard-rocking animal band. The brightly painted illustrations and simple text show us a day in the life of Farmer Joe and Cow, Pig, Chicken, Sheep, and Goat. Farmer Joe works all day with no idea of the hijinks his animals get up to at night. After he goes to sleep, they put on an exciting concert in the barn. The illustrations are intensely colored and simply composed, while the performance portion of the story is a fun take on "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", but the introduc ...more
Katie Bathke

The book words in Punk Farm are really easy to see and read because they are white letters on colored pages. When the animals are signing the words on the page appear bigger to emphasis that they are signing them. The color is really high intensity. Each page is filled with color. The texture of the pages is very smooth looking. The illustrations look like they were done in a paint style. The value of each page changes too. When the animals are at their rock concert the lightness of the picture
Leighnagy
so much fun to read out loud. we all love this book.
Christina
Fun for quotation marks and dialogue learning.
Matt
Great illustrations. Fun take on Old MacDonald.
Yingyi
开头有悬念。后来有重复句式。读起来应该会很开心。气氛好好。1-2-3
What a great idea for a book! Two super cool things, farm animals and punk rock music combined into one. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much there is for kids here. Punk loving adults will enjoy the concept and the tongue in cheek illustrations, but I kept waiting for a click clack moo kind of a moment when Farmer Joe would discover the animals secret, or be a closet fan or something. Still, kind of a cute book, and the Punk Farm band's cover of Old MacDonald is available online, which could be ...more
Liz Todd
Everytime I read this book, I wish that I had written it myself. It is brilliant. The kids love singing along. The details in the illustrations are just awesome. My only wish is that I had a little more inner-rockstar so that I could do this book justice when I read it aloud. Of course, I have heard JJK read this book aloud himself and I didn't think that he really harnessed his own inner-rockstar either. :)

Great book. A fave for sure.
Kaitlin
Uh, the goat plays bass. So yes, it was amazing.
Charlotte
Library books - I wish I could give this 5 stars! I totally loved it, Matt loved it, and I loved that you could download an mp3 of the Punk Farm version of Old MacDonald. Charlotte gave it a big "meh." Oh well.

Funny parts for grown-ups: one of the farm animals waiting to get it's hand stamped at the door of the show is wearing a trucker hat that says "Obey" on it; the last line of the book is "Good night, Wisconsin!"
Angela
♥ I love this book. Loads of fun! Illustrations are wonderful. You have to notice the little details to appreciate it, like the bell around cows neck being all grunge. I love that this author captured the character and language or culture of a rock group. Good stuff! I giggled through the whole thing, rocked my way through while reading it to my little one. She thought is was AWESOMESAUCE!
Holly
This funny book reminded me of Click, Clack, Moo. I read in preparation of seeing Jarrett Krosoczka at Dublin Literacy Conference. A seemingly normal group of farm animals come out after the farmer's light goes off in the house to form a popular punk rock band. Love the ending with the forgotten sunglasses left on the floor of the barn the next morning. Kids would love this book.
Jesse Houle
It probably helps that I know the sister of the author, but this book rocks. Also, a bunch of my friends recorded the punk version of Old McDonald for this book's promotion and website, so of course I love it. Truth be told and connections aside, I think this is a really great kids book and I'll surely get it if I ever find myself (probably by mistake) fathering a child.
Mary Ann
When the farmer is away, the animals will PARTY! Night falls, and the barn becomes the stage for the best animal rock band. Old MacDonald had a farm, and boy did they get down and dirty. OK, not quite dirty, but loud. The illustrations are great, and I can just imagine parents who themselves loved to rock out when they were young playing up all the silly voices and antics.
Cheramie
My daughter (18 months) has loved this book above all others for 6 months. She begs for it. My husband and I are musicians (classical, punk, rock and metal). 4 bands practice at her house twice a week and we have a recording studio. Needless to say she knows her music and loves hearing us sing the story and enjoys the thought of animals secretly having a band.
Meagen Farrell
This fun and imaginative rendition of some classic children's book themes takes me back to my emo days. At first, my 2 year old thought my version was "too loud" but the free mp3 online definitely made him ask for it "again!" And I actually don't mind, for once! A hit for the whole family.
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • If You're Hoppy
  • I'm a Shark
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Jazz Baby
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2) Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3) Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)