Start by marking “Outline of My Lover” as Want to Read:
Outline of My Lover

Outline of My Lover

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Part love story, part indictment, debut novel Outline of My Lover traces our society's damaging obsession with celebrity. In the sleepy town of Athens, Georgia, a young man goes off to a college miseducation and is drawn into a world of rich vicarious living. The unspoken relationship between this adolescent and his luminous rock star boyfriend fast becomes the marking tal ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about Outline of My Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outline of My Lover

Matthew Gallaway
Jan 16, 2011 Matthew Gallaway rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, haunting, and poetic account of a young man's four-year relationship with an older man, who happens to be the lead singer of ____. Tragic indictment of fame redeemed by the beauty of the storytelling.
Alexis
Jul 30, 2007 Alexis rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the unique language of this book and though it was the size,shape and cover art of the actual book (combined with an interest in the fact that Martin's other book is a novel about the Bronte brother- he has always fascinated me) that got me to pick it up I was pleased with what I found inside. I was often confused by the chronology because, I believe, Martin intended it to be that way. The plot moves forward slowly while doubling back on itself to continue exploring moments and feeling ...more
Andi
Aug 25, 2011 Andi rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely brilliant. It was another one of those life changing books for me that came along just when I needed it the most. It also doesn't hurt that R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands in the entire world and learning a little more about the behind the scenes of Michael Stipe's early career was awesome too.
Ardesia
Jun 03, 2014 Ardesia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sp
C'è uno specchio appeso a un muro. È uno specchio, ma è anche la vita di qualcuno che ci sta guardando dentro. Un'infanzia, una famiglia, un amore. L'immagine riflette un uomo che è lì, ma anche altrove, in un qualche remoto luogo della memoria. A un certo punto lo specchio cade e si infrange al suolo. Tutto intorno si sparpagliano decine e decine di schegge. La storia inizia nel momento in cui l'uomo decide di raccogliere manciate di quelle schegge e di raccontare cosa vede guardando attraverso ...more
Red
Sep 20, 2007 Red rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inthehills
this book changed my life. and i still don't own it. but i think it's amazing
Andrea Amadio
Avevo aspettative forse troppo alte prima di cominciare questo libro, poiché era da almeno un anno e mezzo che ne avevo sentito parlare su internet e volevo leggerlo...ebbene, mi sono ritrovato davanti un romanzo con un certo lirismo ma sparso in parole confuse e che spesso cozzano le une fra le altre è un vano tentativo di pareggiare lo stile di Acimàn...in maniera davvero poco brillante. Troppo caotico, troppo pretenzioso, troppo tutto: un libro dove l'unico eccesso doveva essere l'amore srego ...more
Scrittevolmente
Sarà che sono nata troppo tardi, lontano dalla leggendaria epoca in cui è ambientata questa storia d’amore, sarà che non posso capire il lirismo e la passione che hanno infiammato queste pagine mentre l’autore le scriveva, sarà che non ho capito la mentalità della relazione narrata, oppure sarà più semplicemente che non ho proprio il carattere giusto per comprenderla, ma questo libro non mi è piaciuto quasi per niente.
Protagonista è un ragazzo silenzioso, discreto, con una famiglia caotica alle
Bayneeta
Jan 28, 2016 Bayneeta rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, glbt
Artsy little experimental creative writing coming-of-age piece; though the protagonist hasn't really come of age by the end. Still very much floundering.
Ashley Lewis
Nov 03, 2010 Ashley Lewis rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I read how this is supposed to be about the author's 6 year relationship with REM frontman Michael Stipe. Regardless of whether or not this is a fact, I adored this novel. I can't get over how much I loved Martin's style of writing. It was almost like one big poem. The flow of the writing made this one a real page turner. From time to time I was confused by what exactly was being said, which brings me to giving this novel a 4 star rating instead of a solid 5.
Snarky's
I put it in academic because the author was a grad school advisor so I studied the book's craft elements. It's a wonderful books about celebrity and sex and love and desire. It stays with you longer than you'd probably like because it does force you to examine yourself and notice people on the street that seem invisible. Suddenly you want to know what's going on in their heads. Those quiet delicate people.
Donnelle
Aug 05, 2008 Donnelle rated it liked it
a rush of a read - d. martin's prose is fast/poetic . . . i liked this book - left me wanting a little more though - a deeper glimpse into the characters on his pages.
Kim
Jan 08, 2008 Kim added it
the gay version of duras's the lover... with a celebrity-obsession twist. experimental. awesome.
Ally Van Schilt
Apr 05, 2015 Ally Van Schilt rated it really liked it
Beautifully raw, poetic and heartbreaking. Glad I've finally read it.
Stephanie Anderson
Oct 10, 2007 Stephanie Anderson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: suckfest
I loathed every second of this book.
Bernie
Bernie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jantine Zandbergen
Jantine Zandbergen marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Caeru
Caeru rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Savannah
Savannah marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Bevin
Bevin marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Abhishek
Abhishek marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Dumbledip
Dumbledip marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Elaine Rumboll
Elaine Rumboll marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kelly Stafford
Kelly Stafford rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Jamie Ward
Jamie Ward marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Faye Somers Lewis
Faye Somers Lewis rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
David Lobb
David Lobb marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Kayla Lalaa
Kayla Lalaa marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • Die Tante Jolesch
  • Quasikristalle
  • The Sinner
  • Scalia Dissents: Writings of the Supreme Court's Wittiest, Most Outspoken Justice
  • One Man's Trash: Stories
  • Arthur Mervyn
  • 6 österreicher unter den ersten 5: Roman einer Entpiefkenisierung
  • The Autobiography of God
  • Fadren ; Fröken Julie
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • The Way of a Serpent