Start by marking “Outline of My Lover” as Want to Read:
Outline of My Lover

Outline of My Lover

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Part love story, part indictment, debut novel Outline of My Lover traces our society's damaging obsession with celebrity. In the sleepy town of Athens, Georgia, a young man goes off to a college miseducation and is drawn into a world of rich vicarious living. The unspoken relationship between this adolescent and his luminous rock star boyfriend fast becomes the marking tal ...more
Published May 1st 2000 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about Outline of My Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outline of My Lover

Matthew Gallaway
Beautifully written, haunting, and poetic account of a young man's four-year relationship with an older man, who happens to be the lead singer of ____. Tragic indictment of fame redeemed by the beauty of the storytelling.
Alexis
I enjoyed the unique language of this book and though it was the size,shape and cover art of the actual book (combined with an interest in the fact that Martin's other book is a novel about the Bronte brother- he has always fascinated me) that got me to pick it up I was pleased with what I found inside. I was often confused by the chronology because, I believe, Martin intended it to be that way. The plot moves forward slowly while doubling back on itself to continue exploring moments and feeling ...more
Andi Cornelius
This book is absolutely brilliant. It was another one of those life changing books for me that came along just when I needed it the most. It also doesn't hurt that R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands in the entire world and learning a little more about the behind the scenes of Michael Stipe's early career was awesome too.
Ardesia
C'è uno specchio appeso a un muro. È uno specchio, ma è anche la vita di qualcuno che ci sta guardando dentro. Un'infanzia, una famiglia, un amore. L'immagine riflette un uomo che è lì, ma anche altrove, in un qualche remoto luogo della memoria. A un certo punto lo specchio cade e si infrange al suolo. Tutto intorno si sparpagliano decine e decine di schegge. La storia inizia nel momento in cui l'uomo decide di raccogliere manciate di quelle schegge e di raccontare cosa vede guardando attraverso ...more
Red
this book changed my life. and i still don't own it. but i think it's amazing
Scrittevolmente
Sarà che sono nata troppo tardi, lontano dalla leggendaria epoca in cui è ambientata questa storia d’amore, sarà che non posso capire il lirismo e la passione che hanno infiammato queste pagine mentre l’autore le scriveva, sarà che non ho capito la mentalità della relazione narrata, oppure sarà più semplicemente che non ho proprio il carattere giusto per comprenderla, ma questo libro non mi è piaciuto quasi per niente.
Protagonista è un ragazzo silenzioso, discreto, con una famiglia caotica alle
Ash Lewis
I picked this book up because I read how this is supposed to be about the author's 6 year relationship with REM frontman Michael Stipe. Regardless of whether or not this is a fact, I adored this novel. I can't get over how much I loved Martin's style of writing. It was almost like one big poem. The flow of the writing made this one a real page turner. From time to time I was confused by what exactly was being said, which brings me to giving this novel a 4 star rating instead of a solid 5.
Snarky's
I put it in academic because the author was a grad school advisor so I studied the book's craft elements. It's a wonderful books about celebrity and sex and love and desire. It stays with you longer than you'd probably like because it does force you to examine yourself and notice people on the street that seem invisible. Suddenly you want to know what's going on in their heads. Those quiet delicate people.
Donnelle
a rush of a read - d. martin's prose is fast/poetic . . . i liked this book - left me wanting a little more though - a deeper glimpse into the characters on his pages.
Kim
Jan 08, 2008 Kim added it
the gay version of duras's the lover... with a celebrity-obsession twist. experimental. awesome.
Stephanie Anderson
Oct 10, 2007 Stephanie Anderson rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: suckfest
I loathed every second of this book.
Neph
Neph marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Salvodaze
Salvodaze marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Trae
Trae marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Kelly
Kelly added it
Sep 07, 2014
Jo Brandom
Jo Brandom marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
karan
karan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Branwell Once You Go Back: A Novel They Change the Subject Your Body Figured Servicing the Salamander