Start by marking “Familiar” as Want to Read:
Familiar

Familiar

When reluctant teen witch Brenda Collins is sent by her mother to a magical pet shop to pick out her animal familiar, she settles on a small tawny-striped kitten not realizing it's a shapeshifter currently in hiding. Discovering the gorgeous but troubled Owen's secret plunges the witch-in-training into a dangerous and romantic adventure that will test her magical abilities ...more
Published (first published May 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Familiar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Familiar

Remembrance by Michelle MadowVengeance by Michelle MadowIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsBlood Promise by Richelle MeadShadow Kiss by Richelle Mead
Up Close and Personal
101st out of 285 books — 100 voters
Finale by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareAllegiant by Veronica RothOnyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Books That Need To Come Out Sooner!!!
393rd out of 433 books — 571 voters

More lists with this book...

Geli
Sep 12, 2012 Geli rated it really liked it
This was a totally cute story. I wish it wasn't just short story. I'd love to read more about these characters. I can see so much potentional with this story. I don't think I've meet a Michelle Rowen story I didn't like. Shes got my highest recommendation!
Marina
for only being 10,000 words i loved it. oh why, oh why could you not be an entire book??
Jun 27, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Very cute but indeed short. I wish it was a whole book!
Theresa
Jun 23, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming little short story. Great for a little positive energy pick-me-up.

Brenda, a young witch-in-training has been sent to pick out a familiar by her mother. But the cute little kitten turns out to be a cute young man who can shift into any form of cat and he has a diamond necklace. Now their bonded by a spell.

I loved the little story and wish I could read more of their adventures. The end scene is perfect. But then I’m a cat person.

Fave scene: Brenda’s mom bringing up the orange juic
Rose May
Jun 19, 2011 Rose May rated it really liked it
Shelves: b
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Booshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

First off, let me say that some of the very first adult paranormal romance books I read were by Michelle Rowen, and I loved them (I believe it was her series about Thierry and Sarah Dearly). Her young adult short story, Familiar, captures some of her signature spunk that I love – though I really did wish it was longer. It had a lot of potential that simply wasn’t fulfilled
Liliana
Review also found here: http://lili-lost-in-a-book.blogspot.c...

Brenda is a witch...and not a very good one at that. Why? Because she just isn't interested in practicing witchcraft like her very talented mother. but to get her insisting mother off her back, she decides to give it a try. First things first, she must pick out a familiar...a witch's pet who will keep her company and help her with magic. Only she doesn't realize that the cute, little , striped kitten she chooses is a actually a shif
Linny
Feb 21, 2012 Linny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review from Linny's Literature

Familiar was such a wonderful short story! It was not only well-written and fun, it had an exciting new concept that I loved. I was lucky enough to get this for free as a Valentine's Day gift to her readers from the author, Michelle Rowen (thank you!!), and I read it in about an hour and a half. Everything from the story to the great characters and cute romance kept me reading without stop until the last page.

My favorite thing about Familiar was the intriguing new s
Kelly
May 29, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it
This was a quick little read but it was cute and it features one of my favorite themes - the idea that family doesn't necessarily have to be the people you're born to but rather the people who are there for you in your time of need.

Brenda was a typical teenage girl who just happens to be a witch in training. She fights against her mom's good advice. She blows off the things she should be focusing on. She only goes to pick out her familiar to get her mom off her back. Like I said, typical. Owen,
Big
Mar 16, 2016 Big rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Short and Sweet. Great Story. I'm a Michelle Rowen fan so I wasn't surprised this short story was enjoyable. Though the story was short the characters were full-bodied and engaging. I could actually see this being developed into a series at some point. A were and a witch getting into all kinds of trouble. Especially since she's kind of behind on her witchcraft lessons.
Maria
Nov 03, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
OMG This book was a masterpeice, just like all of Michelle's other books. I just wish it was longer. It was very short. I know it's a short story but...... Oh ok I don't have a reason for being dumb. I just wanted their relationship to go further. Could there be a Book 2? WELL LET'S WAIT AND SEE!!!
Jamie
Familiar is a short but really fun read!

Brenda is a witch in training who thinks she picked out her familiar, a kitten. Only to find out the her adorable kitten is really a hot shapeshifter on the run from the bad guys.

This was a short story that I read in like an hour. It is a quick read and there is not enough time for much background information or character development. This did not keep me from loving the story though. The plot and the characters were well written. I loved the cute romanc
Jovy
Sep 07, 2015 Jovy rated it really liked it
Witches...familiars...spells...werewolves...diamond bracelet...shapeshifter...and again, love comes unexpectedly every single time!!!

I thought familiars are cats, did not know that it can be other animals (it can even be a snake!!!) except for puppies...why is that...hmmm, maybe need to research this information.

I do believe in the power of names (it's been in every myth, legend, etc), that's why you don't give your 'real' name to anyone because it can be used against you.

Bonding between the new
Amber
Apr 28, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It was short and sweet but I think could have easily been made into something longer! Love stories like that! :D
TheBookLionizer
Oct 27, 2014 TheBookLionizer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cuuuute
That's such a cute story.
Really enjoyed it!
My Urban Fantasies
Review originally posted on My Urban Fantasies

I absolutely love this story! Familiar is cute, funny and heartwarming. Michelle Rowen transfers the genius of her novels into a short story. The characters are great. You instantly know who they are. There is no need for background information.

You may be wondering what kind of shifter turns into a kitten. Lets just say you will be pleasantly surprised. This little kitten has more bite than you think.
Jenette
Light. Cute. A simple read.
Evie
Jul 08, 2012 Evie rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute and awesome short story! I wish it was a whole book! So much fun, it had all the points you look for in a good book (cool characters, development, plot, dash of danger, humor, and of course romance!) all condensed in a short story! I was impressed by that because it didn't feel rushed or cheesy. I absolutely loved it! Five stars all the way! Now I'm going to have to look a what else this author has written because if it's anything like Familiar I know it'll be great! :)
Katy
Jun 30, 2015 Katy rated it it was amazing
All time favorite read! =)

I can't flaw anything and for a short story, it had so much depth, suspense and comedic elements, it was hard not to love.

I've read some of Rowen's other works and her books are fantastic! Certainly an author to look out for! :D

I'd recommend it to anyone who loves paranormal or just looking for a short read :)
Addie
Oct 18, 2013 Addie rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
The 2 day time frame + instalove was a fail for me. It's a short story, so obviously not everything can be fleshed out. But I still would have liked more from it. It was a fun, quick story, good for killing a couple minutes while waiting for the bus, but it definitely wasn't as substantial (or even as quirky-funny) as it could have been.
Dana
Feb 22, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable....I want more...Fast paced and over too quickly a witch who is so unsure of herself she doesn't want to try and a shifter who just wants to belong..find each other by accident and determine maybe that isn't a bad thing.
Janysa
Feb 13, 2012 Janysa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nookcolor-ebook
Best short read ever!!!! ohh gosh I wish she would make this book longer like 200 pages more??? I want to see where brenda and owen goes
Maria
May 10, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
I wish it was longer, and I really hope they make a movie for it. It was AWESOME. Just like all her other books i've read!
Aileene
Oct 23, 2011 Aileene rated it really liked it
It was brilliant! Wished it wasn't a short story but alas it was and that was the only flaw!
Jenica
Oct 06, 2012 Jenica rated it really liked it
A very cute, quick read.
I loved the characters and their interactions. Adorable.
Diane
May 16, 2011 Diane rated it it was amazing
Omg I loved this little tale, short and sweet.... and a little fuzzy lol
Karen
May 30, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Very very cool. Loved the concept and characters. Definitely a 5 star read.
Serena
Jun 27, 2015 Serena rated it really liked it
This short story just made feel really happy and warm inside :D
Christine
not my cuppa of tea, it's a sweet idea though.
Ranju
Jul 27, 2014 Ranju rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-books
too short and sweet.
  • Daughter of Lions
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • When Fully Fused (The Schasm Series Book 3)
  • Reawakening (The Passage of Hellsfire, Book 3)
  • Amber Passion (The Enchanters, #3)
  • Destruction from Twins (Lor Mandela, #1)
  • Wildflower (Wildflower, #1)
  • The Vampire Underground (Grisly High #1)
  • The Shadow (Borrowing Abby Grace, #1)
  • The Buried Covenant
  • Bait (Order of the Spirit Realm, #1)
  • Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • Unnatural Law (Darwin's Children, #2)
  • War of the Witch (Legacies of Talimura, #1)
National bestselling author MICHELLE ROWEN writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and young adult fantasy, both light and dark, sexy and sweet, long and short -- it all depends on the story! She's won a Holt Medallion for Best First Book and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice award for Vampire Romance. For more information, please visit Michelle at her website at www.michellerowen.com.
More about Michelle Rowen...