Start by marking “Childish Loves: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Childish Loves: A Novel

Childish Loves: A Novel

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When his former colleague Peter Sullivan dies, Ben Markovits inherits unpublished manuscripts about the life of Lord Byron—including the novels Imposture and A Quiet Adjustment. Ben’s own literary career is in the doldrums, and he tries to revive it by publishing and writing about his dead friend, whose reimagining of Byron’s lost memoirs—titled Childish Loves—may provide ...more
Published August 29th 2011 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Childish Loves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Childish Loves

Agnes Mack
Childish Loves is really two completely different works. Half the book focuses on the fictional Ben Markovits, who inherits several unpublished manuscripts from a recently deceased colleague. After having the manuscripts published and seeing them gain more fame and attention than his own work, Mr. Markovits sets off on a journey to find out more about his deceased colleague.

It seemed to me that his goal was not just to find out more about the man, but to find out how much a reader can really
BooksnWool
I was really captured by this book, as it wove a picture of the writer's life (suitably unglamorous) with the protagonist's experience as a teacher, and his delving into the mystery of his former colleague's life.

Then the story jolted without warning into Byron's diary, which I didn't find interesting even though it purported to show a new side of this bad boy's character. I found it flat and unconvincing. I skipped all that (knowing Byron's life story anyway) but didn't manage to reconnect with
Llewellyn
I won this through GoodReads First Reads. I started it months ago. I got 78 pages in, put it down, and haven't had any desire to pick it back up. I just couldn't get into it. It was really boring. So I'm officially giving up on it.
Megan
Jan 16, 2012 Megan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Didn't finish this one. It had a strange rhythm to it, like it wanted to be mysterious, but there wasn't enough there to flesh out the mystery.
Sandy Neal
Oct 12, 2011 Sandy Neal marked it as to-read
Received free as part of the goodreads.com giveaways program on 8/26/11.
Eh?Eh!
Aug 13, 2011 Eh?Eh! marked it as to-read
Shelves: karens-world
karen should win this giveaway! She loves Byron more than anyone.
Lisa Lucas
Won in Goodreads giveaway. Review coming soon.
Elizabeth Basile
Elizabeth Basile is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2015
Louise Fry
Louise Fry marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Kirsty
Kirsty marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Thomas Parker
Thomas Parker marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Sande Fitz
Sande Fitz marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Kristen McDermott
Kristen McDermott marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
JL
JL marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Carolyn Rae
Carolyn Rae marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Rhys
Rhys marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Rachel Pollock
Rachel Pollock marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Niall
Niall marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Laila Castro
Laila Castro marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Lys Bot
Lys Bot marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Imposture A Quiet Adjustment: A Novel Fathers and Daughters: A Novel Playing Days The Syme Papers